Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just wrapped up playing for a few hours on PC with no interruption aside from the patch itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Jason 8 is loving dope. That destruction perk is the best drat poo poo.

Dude is inside the house obviously waiting for the 5th or 6th door chop to ready his gun.

Me: *2 chops and I rush in*

Him: what the gently caress *wiffs his flare shot in a panic* MAN gently caress YO YOU'RE CHEATING YOU CAN'T *jaw ripped off with fire axe*

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I love Jason 8. Bad sense is annoying but the only real problem I have with him. Can't wait for part 9 to gently caress on these DBD-wannabe goonsquads though. Just tore one apart as part 8, lots of teabagging and poo poo-talking until they were all limping and then Deb abandoned them in the car.

6/7, no Tommy, no repeated kills.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
The new patch forces the fix, essentially:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/438740/discussions/0/1291817837616912728/?ctp=10#c1291817837617261912

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing a bit more and I'm experimenting with not using the grab until a counselor is heavily wounded, OR they're caught in a bear trap. This feels a lot better to me - also seems to gently caress up the team a bit more as having several of them limping around and whimpering tanks the hell out of their fear ratings. :v:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
That's a good habit to get into. Especially because Jasons with the grip strength handicap can't get anywhere before people break free unless they're hurt.

Jason VIII is the master of jump scares and tons of fun, but he can't carry a grocery bag without dropping it and breaking the eggs. Such a klutz.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 1, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh sure, but it was driven more by a dislike of how easy the grab > murder combination actually was. Combine it with shift and I never really felt like it was in the spirit of the movies.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Get used to it, lot of people on here practicing their optimal strats for the high rank and tournaments :spergin:

Also just brought a guy with a Chinese name the fuel for the boat and held Jason off while he put it in. It takes the entire duration of my bat stun and my firecrackers before he figures out how to start the loving boat, and then he leaves without me.

Then he loving dies.

Region lock servers please.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 1, 2017

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh sure, but it was driven more by a dislike of how easy the grab > murder combination actually was. Combine it with shift and I never really felt like it was in the spirit of the movies.

I don't disagree with that sentiment. I've just been trying not to think about it because the tele-grab annoys me with how out of place it is compared to the movies.

They really should add an action cooldown after shift. Counselors can juke the tele-grab once they know what to look for. Their third person camera zooms in once Jason is close, also when he shifts. Zigzagging erratically when the camera zooms in is enough to make it really hard for him to hit.

And that's exactly why I think it should be removed. Not because it's instant death to new people or easy to juke for people that are used to it, but because the tele-grab isn't a movie thing, and because zigzagging to juke the grab is especially not a movie-thing. Movie counselors are idiots that run in straight lines, barely get out of Jasons reach, then stumble around in a dark cabin and back up against a stalking Jason and their imminent doom. The tele-grab is a crutch that robs us of cool ambushes.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 1, 2017

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to Taylor my Mic spam song pics per Jason. Part two easily gets Waltzing Matilda. Wet Hot American Summer theme song goes to Juicy Jason aka part 8. Still trying to find a solid pick for part 9.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I don't know which one but the second jason with the machete sucks.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
That would be Part VII Jason aka the Counselor Punching Bag

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

Donnerberg posted:

I don't disagree with that sentiment. I've just been trying not to think about it because the tele-grab annoys me with how out of place it is compared to the movies.

They really should add an action cooldown after shift. Counselors can juke the tele-grab once they know what to look for. Their third person camera zooms in once Jason is close, also when he shifts. Zigzagging erratically when the camera zooms in is enough to make it really hard for him to hit.

And that's exactly why I think it should be removed. Not because it's instant death to new people or easy to juke for people that are used to it, but because the tele-grab isn't a movie thing, and because zigzagging to juke the grab is especially not a movie-thing. Movie counselors are idiots that run in straight lines, barely get out of Jasons reach, then stumble around in a dark cabin and back up against a stalking Jason and their imminent doom. The tele-grab is a crutch that robs us of cool ambushes.

I won't lie, if there's more than one Vanessa I start telegrabbing after the first. If I'm roleplaying Jason and making it easier for you in the process and you start talking poo poo I'll telegrab you to remind you that you ain't poo poo.

As survivors get better and less immersed though I'm finding myself playing like that much less. Dicking on memers who think this is DBD is almost as much fun as roleplaying a spooky silent Jason. Plus, if they're really trying then playing it slow means everyone escapes.

The problem with telegrab is that it's not fun for anybody involved. It's the worst feeling in the game when you pulled off a clutch escape and then suddenly Jason's got you and you're being choked out. Stalk+shift has no VCR tracking until it's too late to react.

And if playing the most optimal strategy on a piss-easy role in an unbalanced meme game with no ranks or tournaments is fun for you, well, at least you won't be getting Measles any time soon :spergin:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Not to keep going on about it, but stalking while shifting does not prevent the third-person zoom for the counselor. There's no way to shift without telegraphing the upcoming grab.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I did quite like the idea someone had that Jason couldn't Shift when someone was looking at him. Maybe have their fear gradually increase the longer they can see him to make up for it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
The whole "Jason zig zags" when he sees someone with a flare or shotgun is really annoying and hard to counter but I guess it causes him to waste time?

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Basically. Use it to get some stamina back. Jason is pretty much the embodiment of nothing personnel kid. If he really wants to kill you he can just ignore 90% of what a counselor does, and the 10% remaining is so buggy it fails half the time too.

The saddest thing in the world is jumping out a second-story window to save yourself and he just teleports next to you anyway.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 1, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Is there an easy way to tell as a counselor where the power boxes are?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knifegrab posted:

The whole "Jason zig zags" when he sees someone with a flare or shotgun is really annoying and hard to counter but I guess it causes him to waste time?

Anything that wasted his time is good

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Bup posted:

Basically. Use it to get some stamina back. Jason is pretty much the embodiment of nothing personnel kid. If he really wants to kill you he can just ignore 90% of what a counselor does, and the 10% remaining is so buggy it fails half the time too.

The saddest thing in the world is jumping out a second-story window to save yourself and he just teleports next to you anyway.

48% damage reduction perk makes that fall trivial.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Is there an easy way to tell as a counselor where the power boxes are?

Not really. You have to be pretty close to hear the power hum, or you need a visual.

Apropos nothing. I listed a few things that I don't think are in loading tips or the tutorial.

*Double tapping the use button slam opens doors that go outward.
*Sprint + use on a window does nothing if you are critically injured.
*You can start jogging at 0 stamina. It's slightly faster than walking, but not as good as a normal jog.
*Counselor traps can be placed and armed in one motion by holding the use button. You don't have to pause between the actions.
*Hiding in a hiding spot is the fastest way to regain stamina.
*Players that escape or die in the water have their items was up on the beach.
*Stages of fear: Calm, wide-eyed, mouth agape, black borders around the screen, black and white vision.
*There's counselor exclusive perks. I assume they can only be rolled for the selected counselor. (Chad's perk is driving faster when alone in the car.)
*Camp Crystal Lake always has a shotgun at either the Shooting Range or the Workshop beyond it.
*Jason's shack at Crystal Lake will be at the top North or the North-East corner.
*Jason's shack at Higgins Haven will be on the Southern island or below the cemetery to the West.
*Jason's shack at Packanack Lodge will be at the far West on a hill or the far East following the trail going North from the main road.
*Getting into a car is a warp, which means you can get past a trapped door as long as you can see the button prompt.
*Jason can cancel a knife throw with the grab button. The throw goes on cooldown.
*Using the flashlight in a car when you're the driver honks the horn.
*Using the run button in a car turns on the radio. Passengers can do this too.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 3, 2017

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I was on the PS4 playing with pubbies with this little girl who is playing with her father. I thought it was sweet until she started calling the black characters niggers. Then they were Jason and the father was playing, I was Chad and I managed to get away from him with a pocket knife which made him mad. The match ended with him only getting two kills. You could hear him throw the controller and the little girl starts yelling "Daddy why are you throwing it, it's only a game" The dude starts raging about how the "human being in Capri pants made me lose" The girl just laughed and says her father calls everyone a human being and then he rage quit. There should really be some kind of test before you can have kids.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Man hiding really is a worthless mechanic.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Man hiding really is a worthless mechanic.

I had someone playing the Rocker Chick hide for the entire match. She didn't pop up red until about 20 seconds before the match ended. It's doable if you avoide corpses, dark areas, etc.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Goon Campers join request sent, same username as here.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

all these patches makes me think they should have waited until the real Friday the 13th in loving October instead. At least then the game wouldn't break so often or have new games to contend with. See what happens when you don't stick to tradition, devs????

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I just discovered that Buggy is modelled off a backer and Adam is modelled after some night club owner in Las Vegas

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm not as MLG as Duster, and I also have to work today.

Tell me the secrets of a full-time F13 career.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Also, you get some serious points for fighting Jason. I've had several matches with Buzgy where I earned more points dying than I do escaping with other counselors.

We had one round where we worked to repair the car, yet somehow I (as Buzgy) lost the musical chairs game and was forced to tango with Jason outside the car. Chad kept telling me to : "sacrifice yourself, black man!"

I managed to knock him on his rear end - while Chad completely messed up the escape and went the wrong way. Jason got back up and stopped the car, but I managed to win musical chairs part II and escaped. Fun game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

First couple of hours with the game was a blast, in my second game I spun around in a big cabin looking for car keys and medicine for nearly five minutes without noticing the police phone in the living room while Duster was frantically Steam messaging me about it, haha. Survived a lot of rounds as AJ and Tiffany just by keeping my flashlight on and sticking to lit paths and cabins on the opposite end of the map from everyone else. Even got to be Tommy a few times, to moderate and virtually no effect. Haven't had a round as Jason yet but playing counselor's been a blast, I can't believe people quit out of games if they don't get to be the axe murderer.

If only the game didn't have an apparent 20% chance of crashing whenever clicking on any option or interactive element, I've had more stable games of Jenga.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

McSpanky posted:

First couple of hours with the game was a blast, in my second game I spun around in a big cabin looking for car keys and medicine for nearly five minutes without noticing the police phone in the living room while Duster was frantically Steam messaging me about it, haha. Survived a lot of rounds as AJ and Tiffany just by keeping my flashlight on and sticking to lit paths and cabins on the opposite end of the map from everyone else. Even got to be Tommy a few times, to moderate and virtually no effect. Haven't had a round as Jason yet but playing counselor's been a blast, I can't believe people quit out of games if they don't get to be the axe murderer.

If only the game didn't have an apparent 20% chance of crashing whenever clicking on any option or interactive element, I've had more stable games of Jenga.

The gameplay will stay, the instability will go away. Remember the game has only been out for a week.

They should have absolutely had a 2nd open beta to test these servers - but the devs do seem to have a good handle on the current issues, or at least have them identified, and are working to fix them.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

They seem to have fixed some of the perks that weren't working with one of the recent patches.
Also one of my favorite things about the goon servers is the wildly different level of effectiveness each Jason player brings. One match might end with everyone surviving, another might have a frighteningly competent hunter who spends 90% of the match jumpscaring us before finally slaughtering us. And other times one of the councilors will be somehow glitch and start flying 15 feet off the ground for the rest of the match.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Donnerberg posted:

*There's counselor exclusive perks. I assume they can only be rolled for the selected counselor. (Chad's perk is driving faster when alone in the car.)

Pretty sure I have this perk on Jenny.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Aw, that's a little disappointing to hear actually.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

That just means everyone can be The Chad now.

Also I just realized the bird bath kill is listed as "Bird Brained" on the results screen rather than Bird Bathed. This whole time I thought the developers were listing the kills the same way Strong Bad narrates Teen Girl Squad.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Donnerberg posted:

Aw, that's a little disappointing to hear actually.

Wait, it might be for boats, i'll double check when i get home.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Also, my favorite thing about this game is how salty people are about not having the backer stuff be paid DLC. the Steam forums are full of salt (it also doesn't help that i've been calling everyone babbies)

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
No kidding the backers deserve their cool skin friggin get over it people.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Carebearz posted:

Also, my favorite thing about this game is how salty people are about not having the backer stuff be paid DLC. the Steam forums are full of salt (it also doesn't help that i've been calling everyone babbies)

As someone who wasn't even aware of the kickstarter until long after it ended I can sort of relate to them. Still I got Part 2 and Part 8 Jasons so I'm not really upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Is there a way to hide effectively in a closet or under a bed? The campers all make a loud rear end gasp when Jason goes by

• Locked thread