Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it. While the techniques are well-documented, there's a lot of art involved, too.

It's making me struggle pretty hard with the general meaninglessness of life. It's hard not to feel like we lost the most important battle we'd ever fight and now the best we'll ever be able to do is slow down the inevitable doom from here on outward.

That's not true, necessarily, but god drat if it doesn't feel that way.

*in extremely millennial liberal voice* Or we're in Helms Deep before Gandalf shows up!

Also, thanks again to everyone for answering my TV questions. Although trivial, it's been bothering me for some time. Also, thanks for the Every Frame a Painting recommend. Will watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Here is how it works.

Every single camera (except for like Lifetime or whatever) is RED now, which is the new industry standard. In atlanta, they would have both studio cams and contractor DPs who all had their own RED cameras. There's some very rare circumstances where other things are used, but if you're watching Network television, it's RED. Like to give you an example, when I was on Drop Dead Diva, which was the epitome of "filming a bust show for georgia tax credits," even THAT had RED A and B cams.

Actors are whatever. They all get paid the same with the exception of the stars.

Directors are completely irrelevant.

You can't throw a dead cat without hitting a writer.

Wardrobe is a hilarious scam and I'm pretty sure them buying and returning things to Marshall's is all that's keeping that business afloat if they play their finances right.

Production is what sets a show apart, specifically sets and lighting. All money in a shoot goes into production, and the more lights you have, the more grips and PAs you need to move it, the better lighting designer you need to take advantage of it. On the set of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk (which granted was an infinity budget Sony pet project) we did a scene inside the Georgia Dome. To light it we basically had hundred foot wide glowing blimps. It was nuts.

Same with sets. Want a better set? Gonna need more contractors, more carpenters, more electricians, more whatever. filming on location? Better places to film require more money, different expertise, different power generating capabilities (film sets produce their own electricity) etc

Then there's post, which is sucking up more budget because you need so many sfx for something like SHIELD, but that's highly variable.

so yeah it's basically set, set dec, and lighting, and post.

This is good stuff. Part of my confusion was that I knew everyone used RED cameras now, so I figured it couldn't be the camera, but I didn't think of the lighting.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

They're holding out on selling investments that would trigger capital gains. Trump has promised to lower the capital gains tax.

Ah yeah I should have actually read the article.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Huzanko posted:

This is good stuff. Part of my confusion was that I knew everyone used RED cameras now, so I figured it couldn't be the camera, but I didn't think of the lighting.

Not everyone.

I was in the Anna Nicole Smith story on Lifetime or Discovery, and it was directed by Mary loving Harron of all people, and they were still using like local news cameras.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That is why I prefer anime.

The cameras used to shoot DragonBall Z season 2 (nearly two decades ago) are still much more technically proficient than the cameras most western shows (yes even premium cable shows) use today.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Huzanko posted:

*in extremely millennial liberal voice* Or we're in Helms Deep before Gandalf shows up!

Also, thanks again to everyone for answering my TV questions. Although trivial, it's been bothering me for some time. Also, thanks for the Every Frame a Painting recommend. Will watch.

https://twitter.com/Branduil/status/863605295364190214

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The cameras used to shoot DragonBall Z season 2 (nearly two decades ago) are still much more technically proficient than the cameras most western shows (yes even premium cable shows) use today.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

berserker posted:

So just FYI the Trump supporter at Marvel is Ike Perlmutter, known rear end in a top hat who most people at Marvel Studios hate. When Disney bought Marvel one of the big negotiations was severing all of Perlmutter's ties with Marvel Studios, so now MS and Disney get to make all of their decisions without going through him. That's why the TV shows and movies are fun and good while the comics has Captain America actually being a Nazi.

I think he still controls the purse stings on the Netflix stuff which is why you have shows like Iron Fist, about a man so good at marital arts he once punched a dragon in the heart, where the actor playing the title character had no time to train before the show and most of his fights were done with less than 30 minutes of practice.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Has anyone else recently decided that becoming a first time gun owner is probably a good thing? Had that discussion yesterday with my family. I'm a self described pacifist, but I am increasingly of the opinion that self protection could become very important soon. I already have emergency supplies at home, butI figure that is kind of the next step.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well, they had to be. Normal cameras can't capture action at that speed. Meanwhile, the dragons in Game of Thrones move slowly enough to be recorded on more traditional cameras.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

berserker posted:

So just FYI the Trump supporter at Marvel is Ike Perlmutter, known rear end in a top hat who most people at Marvel Studios hate. When Disney bought Marvel one of the big negotiations was severing all of Perlmutter's ties with Marvel Studios, so now MS and Disney get to make all of their decisions without going through him. That's why the TV shows and movies are fun and good while the comics has Captain America actually being a Nazi.

Nope, like I said, that's too easy an answer, and lets creative and editorial off the hook. "The rear end in a top hat Trump guy made us do it!" He's not involved in creative decisions, Marvel is mostly a turnkey thing for him. It's on noted Baltimore broken windows policing supporting 90s Third Way rear end in a top hat Nick Spencer, and editorial for enabling him.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Welcome to GBS posted:

Has anyone else recently decided that becoming a first time gun owner is probably a good thing? Had that discussion yesterday with my family. I'm a self described pacifist, but I am increasingly of the opinion that self protection could become very important soon. I already have emergency supplies at home, butI figure that is kind of the next step.

I find myself thinking about this often, and the only reason I haven't already is that I have the broken brain depressos and would not feel safe having a weapon in my home.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/politics/sessions-russian-ambassador-letter/

quote:

Washington (CNN)A pair of Democratic senators asked then-FBI Director James Comey to investigate Attorney General Jeff Sessions, amid concerns that he may have had an additional meeting with the Russian ambassador the US, Sergey Kislyak, according to letters obtained by CNN Thursday.

Sens. Patrick Leahy and Al Franken -- Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee -- sent the requests to Comey and, later, acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe in three letters dated March 20, April 28 and May 12.

"We are concerned about Attorney General Sessions' lack of candor to the committee and his failure thus far to accept responsibility for testimony that could be construed as perjury," Franken and Leahy wrote to Comey in their first request.

Sessions' noose is tightening.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Welcome to GBS posted:

The frequency of suicidal ideation with a handgun going on in my head every day, I think, precludes me from owning a firearm.

Might be okay to own a rifle and keep the ammo at the range though, idk, to each their own :shrug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

What kind of scenario are you envisioning that would necessitate a gun? The Trumpstaffel isn't going to come knock down your door. We're facing much more mundane problems like being locked up for 10 years over a bag of pot, the dissolution of the social safety net, death to preventable disease, and the slow death of the planet to climate change.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Welcome to GBS posted:

Guns are not very good for self defense; you'll probably just end up shooting someone random or yourself by accident. Get a baseball bat or something and work out/lift if you want to be able to defend yourself, especially if you consider yourself a pacifist since you'd probably never be able to forgive yourself if you actually fired at someone.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

I find myself thinking about this often, and the only reason I haven't already is that I have the broken brain depressos and would not feel safe having a weapon in my home.

:respek:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Welcome to GBS posted:

To be honest you should be waiting a bit for a further drop in price from the OBAMMMER highs if you're interested in it.

I would (and probably 95% of TFR would) suggest getting a cheap .22LR to get you used to the mechanics and feeling of gun ownership/cleaning/firing in the interim. .22LR is dirt cheap.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What kind of scenario are you envisioning that would necessitate a gun? The Trumpstaffel isn't going to come knock down your door. We're facing much more mundane problems like being locked up for 10 years over a bag of pot, the dissolution of the social safety net, death to preventable disease, and the slow death of the planet to climate change.

Yeah let's not have this turn into another person desperate to defend their pumpkins around Halloween. Nothing wrong with gun ownership but stop and think about what you're actually planning to do.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Welcome to GBS posted:

It's pretty well documented that owning a gun makes you measurably less safe. I really love shooting and have the money but I don't really feel like upping my chances of accidentally dying to a self-inflicted gunshot wound by any significant amount so I don't own any guns.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Two DEMOCRAT senators...

The FBI director has no reason to comply with these letters.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chilichimp posted:

Two DEMOCRAT senators...

The FBI director has no reason to comply with these letters.

The current acting FBI director has no reason to like Trump.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/870301485875302400

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's pretty well documented that owning a gun makes you measurably less safe. I really love shooting and have the money but I don't really feel like upping my chances of accidentally dying to a self-inflicted gunshot wound by any significant amount so I don't own any guns.

I wonder if these statistics take into account responsible owners who follow safe practices vs irresponsible ones who don't unload or lock up their guns or ever engage the safety.

I don't think a gun is likely to actually make you more safe the vast majority of the time, but if you have due diligence with proper safety precautions I don't think it's likely to make you less safe either. And that includes something like, if I find out my son has depression, immediately selling my guns.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nomoremister/status/870259429953986560
https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/869739133744414720
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/870308035889070080
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/870304559809179649
https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/870308498432774144
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/870309827788013568

And in Colonialism???? The US Isn't Colonialist!!! news
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/870307387147681793

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

AnoHito posted:

Guns are not very good for self defense; you'll probably just end up shooting someone random or yourself by accident. Get a baseball bat or something and work out/lift if you want to be able to defend yourself, especially if you consider yourself a pacifist since you'd probably never be able to forgive yourself if you actually fired at someone.

yes

also: you can buy pepper spray

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Welcome to GBS posted:

I got really worried about government gestapo forces marching in lockstep to arrest my South American neighbors and looked into buying a gun about a month back, something that can actually penetrate armor.

gently caress they're expensive. I think I'll put it off until the crackdown has actually begun and gun prices have spiked even further. As a super white dude, I won't be in the first wave of government sanctioned killings, so it's not an immediate need for me!

Then I thought about being willing to kill for my "values" but not spend that much money and got sad.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

BarbarianElephant posted:

I'm not sure if Putin is Machiavelli's Prince, or if he just has a lot of schemes going and sometimes gets lucky.

This is kind of the big question, because Russia has proven its ability to make cunning moves, but at the same time, it can't deal with lots of very obvious problems.

I am not a Russia expert, but just from looking at simple statistics, Russia has a lot of problems. Its GDP isn't very high, with most estimates putting it below Brazil and at around the level of Australia or South Korea. (Its higher going by PPP GDP). Its GDP per capita, either by raw or PPP, is also pretty low. Like, not just low compared to the developed world, but low compared to Eastern Europe or Latin America. Its economic growth is also small, especially compared to a lot of the countries of Eastern Europe, who are rapidly developing.

There are obviously a lot more objective and subjective measures of national well being than GDP, (like life expectancy, which Russia is also low on). But in general, Russia looks like a developing country that has some roadblocks. The thing is, unlike Brazil, they have a lot of nukes and a lot of legacy science and technology.

Don't assume that Putin is a rational actor just because he is smart. In some ways, I think Putin (and a lot of the Russian command), are the type of people who "would get dizzy walking in a straight line". I think they just like international intrigue rather than spending their time working on boring stuff like improving health care, building infrastructure, etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Are y'all actually READING Secret Empire or just goinf "Pfft Captain America is a Nazi, I'm deciding this is bad without looking!"

It's honestly loving great.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

I find it interesting how many of you think that owning a gun will make me less safe. I already have blunt self defense weapons, but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun, except for the exceedingly liberal types, and even they often own guns as well. In this kind of environment I really don't want to be the only one who can't defend myself.

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The current acting FBI director has no reason to like Trump.

Any FBI director has a rock solid reason to not appear partisan.

If the Judiciary committee chair and ranking member send the letter, it would probably be something, but Leahy and Franken? Not so much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Welcome to GBS posted:

There's a couple of alternatives to buying a gun. They're legal, non-lethal, more portable and WAY cheaper than a gun. Don't do it dude.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Shut the gently caress up about TV

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is even the point of lying like that? Are the author/editor hardcore Trumpers?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wark Say posted:

There's a couple of alternatives to buying a gun. They're legal, non-lethal, more portable and WAY cheaper than a gun. Don't do it dude.

Many less lethal methods are illegal in The US.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Welcome to GBS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ31eBipr_g

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Welcome to GBS posted:

I find it interesting how many of you think that owning a gun will make me less safe. I already have blunt self defense weapons, but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun, except for the exceedingly liberal types, and even they often own guns as well. In this kind of environment I really don't want to be the only one who can't defend myself.

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

This isn't some thing we made up there are literally dozens of studies on the subject, even ignoring intentional self harm it just makes you more likely to get you or your family shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Welcome to GBS posted:

Maybe you should just "get gud" and just buy a zweihander.

• Locked thread