Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Of course you'd say that, you grew up in a fortress carved out of a mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

Seven bedrooms doesn't seem that extravagent. I mean, a standard house has three bedrooms, so this was about double normal size? And two million dollars in an urban real estate market doesn't seem to be too much.

I mean, I think their point was that he grew up in upper-middle class surburbia, not owning private islands in the Carribean. It seems like that might be the upbringing that someone whose parents were doctors, lawyers or successful professionals might have?

Agreed.

The point the article made was that the house did not hint at the actual wealth of the family which, I'd say, is very true. It's a nice place to live, certainly upper middle class or even upper class, but not some insane estate.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Welcome to GBS posted:

Has anyone else recently decided that becoming a first time gun owner is probably a good thing? Had that discussion yesterday with my family. I'm a self described pacifist, but I am increasingly of the opinion that self protection could become very important soon. I already have emergency supplies at home, butI figure that is kind of the next step.

Get a G20. The concern I'm assuming you have involves aggressors wearing body armor; 10mm will help you overcome that obstacle.

TFR is a really good resource for firearms information. It is easily the best run, most professional semipublic forum for guns online today.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 1, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh gently caress we are going to derail into a discussion on the definition of middle class and how cost of living does/does not factor, aren't we?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

glowing-fish posted:

I grew up in the quintessential upper middle class suburban hellscape and literally nobody except the richest people in town had a 7 bedroom house you loving stooge

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

eyebeem posted:

Oh gently caress we are going to derail into a discussion on the definition of middle class and how cost of living does/does not factor, aren't we?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

You get that or gun control, take your pick :unsmigghh:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpaceCadetBob posted:

You get that or gun control, take your pick :unsmigghh:

I don't really have much skin in the gun control argument...

Does that mean I want that to be the derail or not? God drat it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Potato Salad posted:

Get a G20. The concern I'm assuming you have involves aggressors wearing body armor; 10mm will help you overcome that obstacle.

TFR is a really good resource for firearms information. It is easily the best run, most professional semipublic forum for guns online today.

I've always found that if you make an obscure factual error or misuse a gun term, gun forums come to you.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ikanreed posted:

What's the deal with this ethics thing? Can a president really waive ethics obligations for white house staff?

Sure, ethical obligations aren't binding. They are, however, a defensive tool. When some liberal rag says, "Is your staff encouraging racism in police forces and promoting a chilling effect on minority endeavors in America?" you want to be able to say, "No, my staff is held to the highest ethical standards and has a strict code of obligations that prevents any wrongdoing," because then you don't have to answer the goddamn question.

But to Trump having his staff free to do unethical actions is more important than not looking awful.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

stone cold posted:

statistically speaking, gun owners shoot themselves or somebody they know so

in the aggregate, does owning a gun make one safer

there was a twitter i think and i can't recall the name but they used to publish about a page's worth monthly of people who were shot and the reason why, as just a small sample of gun violence in the us

anybody remember that?

You want Parents Against Gun Violence

They post it on their facebook page at least. https://www.facebook.com/ParentsAgainstGunViolence/

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

ikanreed posted:

What's the deal with this ethics thing? Can a president really waive ethics obligations for white house staff?

Obama did, not as frequently as this though

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Not a Children posted:

I grew up in the quintessential upper middle class suburban hellscape and literally nobody except the richest people in town had a 7 bedroom house you loving stooge

3 or 4 is standard for the "grandma bought a house in 1985" suburban home IMO

7 is a jr mansion.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Crosspost from Wisconsin thread:

Sexual Lorax posted:

How many Wisconsin residents want this to happen?

http://www.channel3000.com/news/politics/wisconsin-republicans-push-constitutional-convention-measures-forward/524114273

Are our state legislators actually representing their constituents' interests in supporting an Article V convention?

This poo poo legitimately terrifies me. Sure, Trump says and does dumb poo poo, but the worst of what he's tried to do so far has been blocked by the courts.

Remember this, first and always: the original Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787 started as a meeting to fix the Articles of Confederation. It ended by trashing them and white-sheeting an entirely new government. Anyone saying "don't worry about a runaway convention" fundamentally misses the point of an Article V convention. It can't be "runaway", because it has the authority to propose changes to anything that then can be approved by only two-thirds of the states.

An amendment to the US Constitution to balance the federal budget is only a very thin excuse to put the whole loving thing back on the table. The Bill of Rights, separation of governmental powers, and checks and balances between those separated branches of government have worked out pretty well for us so far, and they have frustrated a lot of very bad people with very bad ideas over the last couple hundred years.

So uh... what are the chances of a constitutional convention actually happening?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Welcome to GBS posted:

To you goons who are afraid of self harm, I hadn't really ever considered that. Stay strong.

of all the americans who die every year from gunshot wounds, more than half of those wounds are self inflicted. owning a gun is a huge risk factor in terms of succeeding at a suicide attempt

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ikanreed posted:

From what I understand, yes, the president can do that. The thing is, Trump's done it like three times as often as Obama at this point, and I think Obama did it for really minor conflicts of interests that were barely that. Like for policy advisers that had worked for non-profits in their area of expertise, things like that.

That's just what I read on these forums, though, so I'm far from an expert.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Not a Children posted:

29 houses for sale in my neigbhorhood with 6+ bedrooms. Zillow won't let me search for 7+. It's a quintessential middle + upper middle class suburban hellscape.

Also, nobody in your suburban hellscape had Kushner wealth. That's sort of the point.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Huzanko posted:

Cool. I would've thought pro lighting techniques would be well-documented enough that they could be reproduced by this point but I guess it just comes down to talent since not every scene or actor is the same and you're always figuring out how best to light things on the fly I'd assume. I know next to nothing about filming or lighting things.

Thanks for answering my dumb TV questions guys.

If you have any dvd's / blu-rays with behind the scenes production footage, take a look at how many people are milling around behind the camera and all the metal scaffolds everywhere. A large number of those people are involved directly or indirectly with lighting and electrical.

It takes time to build that temporary structure and time is directly money. Also, time is time and TV shows have a very tight shooting schedule. Often in movies they will do a long series of test takes with stand ins to get the lighting, focus and cameras just right.

That's not an available luxury on a show like AoS. You have to somewhat wing it or stick to small tightly controlled sets that you've already worked out all the lighting on.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

There Bias Two posted:

Why do public figures bother to delete tweets when they are almost always archived?

Because mostly you're managing public perception, not legal indemnity. "The Internet Never Forgets" only matters when it turns out you were a Nazi or you committed actual crimes, not when you said hypocritical things. You just want to keep your own supporters from easily seeing your hypocritical bits.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Seems pretty clear that the dude is worried about a generalized increase in political unrest and strife which to be quite honest is something you simply cannot predict the consequences of. In these situations access to lethal self defense could potentially have merit. There are so many edge cases that is it impossible to give statistical probabilities to them. The person making the decision would have to seriously consider the risks of both sides. Owning a gun is not a death sentence, and the risks of self inflicted harm with a gun are still astronomically low compared to the number of gun owners in the country.

All hail gun control derail.

Even beyond this, for a lot of people it isn't just a matter of choosing the path with the lowest statistical chance of death. They care how they die, eg if it's them doing something stupid or because they had no way of fighting off the armed terrorapist home invaders. Those possibilities don't have equal chances, obviously, but that's the point.

Like, if minimizing chance of dying was all people cared about then no one would ever do extreme sports.

Not saying this particular decision is or isn't rational, cool/good, or whatever.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Lightning Lord posted:

3 or 4 is standard for the "grandma bought a house in 1985" suburban home IMO

7 is a jr mansion.

There's lots of layers of rich that we don't really distinguish from "down here." A guy who grew up in a 7 bedroom house in suburbia might feel like he grew up modestly compared to the real rich guys above them, those who had so many homes in so many countries they lost track.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

ThePeavstenator posted:

Crosspost from Wisconsin thread:

So uh... what are the chances of a constitutional convention actually happening?

Time to Covok.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You still haven't clarified why you would need one though...

If you're worried about a home invasion, get a dog, install a security system, put in proper outdoor lighting, and get to know your neighbors (exchange phone numbers, etc). "The bad guy wants to shoot me, so I'll shoot him first" mentality is really dangerous.

I'm not especially worried about home protection. We have two pitbulls that do not look inviting to people trying to break in. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood. But what I'm saying is that it has become incredibly clear to me that there is an attempt to completely corrupt the Federal Government, and Russia is most likely behind it. I don't have to explain to you the general mental state of the people supporting this government (and giving them their power, ultimately), but I can tell you from my experience with them that they all own guns and will not hesitate using them to instill fear into the 'tolerant left' if this power starts to be taken away.

I'm afraid of living in this timeline and not having the ability to fight back. Unfortunately, and it really pains me to say this, relying exclusively defensive tactics is a losing fight.

(I'm not advocating for violence, at all. But if there is violence, I do not plan on showing up with a knife to the gunfight.)

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Welcome to GBS posted:

but where I live (NotPortland-Oregon) literally everyone has a gun

Where specifically?

Family Values posted:

There weren't any *real* mountains nearby so were they really people at all?

Also, it wasn't **that** expensive. I mean coastal real estate values are always a little inflated.

highme fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 1, 2017

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

You want Parents Against Gun Violence

They post it on their facebook page at least. https://www.facebook.com/ParentsAgainstGunViolence/

i remember the barbershop one. http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/incident/820179

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Welcome to GBS posted:

I'm afraid of living in this timeline and not having the ability to fight back. Unfortunately, and it really pains me to say this, relying exclusively defensive tactics is a losing fight.

(I'm not advocating for violence, at all. But if there is violence, I do not plan on showing up with a knife to the gunfight.)

in such a scenario it is not advisable to have a registered firearm, and your time would be better spent learning to make IEDs and other small explosives from which you can ambush gun havers and take their guns

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
There's a really wide price range for 3 and 4 bedroom houses. I live in a 3/1.5 and could pay twice as much for a 3/2 that basically just adds square footage to the bedrooms and common areas. When you get in the neighborhood of 5 and 6 bedrooms the room sizes (other than the Master(s)) kinda top out and the marginal price per bedroom isn't really driving the sale prices.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Why are we talking about this dumbshit when Wisconsin is trying to delete all the good amendments?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Lightning Lord posted:

Time to Covok.

Oh my god, maybe that's what Trump was trying to tweet.

"Despite all the negative press covok was right all along."

Lightning Lord posted:

Why are we talking about this dumbshit when Wisconsin is trying to delete all the good amendments?

Because nobody lives in Wisconsin. Anyone who says they do are a statistical anomaly that can be ignored.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

LaserShark posted:

Because nobody lives in Wisconsin. Anyone who says they do are a statistical anomaly that can be ignored.

Aren't we talking about the constitutional convention though? The population isn't important. We're like 4 states away from having a Republican-led convention that will doom us for eternity (I assume).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

LaserShark posted:

First off, the role playing hobby was born there, and they have a rich tradition. Secondly, they're looking to be part of a movement to call a Constitutional Convention federally, so it doesn't matter if the state is four guys and a block of cheese.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Pretty sure these are "drain the swamp" ethics that HE CAME UP WITH, so it's even more ludicrous.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Welcome to GBS posted:

Even with a gun you are already bringing a knife to a gunfight. If you are talking about fighting an oppressive government you've already lost. The police are fully militarized and and have a huge assortment of tools and nearly unlimited amounts of money to buy them. They can track your cellphone movements, gas you, bring a private army to bear with precision tactics and ex-military personnel.

Not really there yet, but the sitaution is kinda hosed already

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

boner confessor posted:

of all the americans who die every year from gunshot wounds, more than half of those wounds are self inflicted. owning a gun is a huge risk factor in terms of succeeding at a suicide attempt

My grandfather blew his brains out one night on the family farm, family didn't even realize he was depressed, just noticed he seemed a little withdrawn from the winter blues.

Human beings can make stupid impulsive decisions when feeling overwhelmed by emotions such as psychological pain and despair in the case of depression or contemplating violent acts when overwhelmed by anger. Owning a gun amplifies your ability to inflict harm on yourself or others in those brief moments when the stupid animal part of your brain overpowers your logic and reasoning.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Comey scheduled to testify next Thursday.

10 am in public and 1 pm at a closed-door session.

Sources say he will confirm that Trump directly pressured him to drop the investigation, but won't offer a recommendation on what to do or if it crossed the line into the legal definition of obstruction of justice.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Welcome to GBS posted:

But what I'm saying is that it has become incredibly clear to me that there is an attempt to completely corrupt the Federal Government, and Russia is most likely behind it. I don't have to explain to you the general mental state of the people supporting this government (and giving them their power, ultimately), but I can tell you from my experience with them that they all own guns and will not hesitate using them to instill fear into the 'tolerant left' if this power starts to be taken away.

Ah, the Red Dawn scenario.

Buy an old fashioned battle rifle, if it's good enough for the Army to shoot you with, it's good enough to shoot them back. Bonus for being able to pick up ammo off dead soldiers like in games.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Family Values posted:

There weren't any *real* mountains nearby so were they really people at all?

Hahaha, that seems like such a quaint and hilarious derail now.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I wonder what the worst palatable amendment that an Article 5 constitutional convention could get through. You still need 3/4 of the state legislature or state ratifying convention. 38 states would need to be on board.

I think the worst would probably be "3/4ths majority required in congress to pass any tax increases".

That would kneecap the government.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Not a Children posted:

Counterpoint: same, but my parents house does have 7 bedrooms and so did everyone else in the neighborhood. My parents are upper middle class wealthy but they're not the kind of wealthy that makes you able to buy influence, even in local politics.

While we're bitching about rich people, don't forget that within the category of "rich," there's "can have every desired material comfort" rich and then there's "can buy off politicians" rich. Point is, Kush is in the latter category, lived like the former category.

E: it should be added that the "can have every desired material comfort" threshold is way way lower than the "can use wealth to change laws and regulations for one's own benefit" threshold. Depending on how fussy someone is, the first can be between $100k or $5 million. The latter category starts at the hundreds of millions.

someone fetch that article about how mere millionaires were starting to feel snubbed an ineffectual in politics as their donations no longer bought them as much access as they used to compared with the top 0.01% :allears:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Pretty sure these are "drain the swamp" ethics that HE CAME UP WITH, so it's even more ludicrous.

The "Lobbyist Ban" was always base placating claptrap anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Uhm if there's a constitutional convention won't that just further push the blue states to secede?

• Locked thread