Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek: Deep Space 9. But drama is easier than comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Batman/Superman/Justice League

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you're counting those three shows as one, you have to count the entire DCAU, and it doesn't apply because of The Zeta Project.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're counting those three shows as one, you have to count the entire DCAU, and it doesn't apply because of The Zeta Project.

He met Batman Beyond so it counts, I dont care if it was completely mediocre in every facet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

What the gently caress is Bartok's accent? :psyduck:

Everything about "In the Dark of the Night" is a total "Be Prepared" rip-off right down to Jim Cummings singing it

I'd like this movie 10x more without all the supernatural stuff (hey, isn't that basically what the new stage musical is?)

Hey buddy! The supernatural stuff in Anastasia makes it a bunch more fun. :mad::mad::mad:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

starkebn posted:

I can not agree with this, once Elmo came along Sesame Street changed for the worse. Probably not just because of that character but the tone of things was so much more "Henson" in the earlier days

I will not stand for this slandering of poor Elmo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Samuel Clemens posted:

I will not stand for this slandering of poor Elmo.

Fuzzy little shithead stole Grover's spotlight. :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

starkebn posted:

What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think for the purposes of this discussion we should exempt publicly funded television.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Shows that were good start to end?

mmm

Batman the Brave and the Bold
Mystery Inc.
Samurai Jack
The New Mickey mouse shorts

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Pixeltendo posted:

Season 4 airs in a week.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

starkebn posted:

What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

I'd argue MST3K has never had a bad "season" and never an outright bad episode.

For animation I wanted to say Dexter's Lab, until I remembered about the revival. But the show would've only been 2 seasons without it so that's not long-running either.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Huh, I assumed your username would have come from the MST3K Space Mutiny episode but it seems not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

starkebn posted:

if we're just talking animated, Archer's been around a while and has only slightly dipped in quality (and the dips in quality are, in my opinion, made up for by those seasons being fairly experimental and doing rad poo poo with the format).

e: also Samurai Jack s5 was good for 3 episodes and then nosedived off a cliff. those 3 episodes are legitimately fantastic, but as soon as the arc with the Daughters of Aku ends, the show just immediately has no idea what the gently caress to do with itself. it was never meant to have a serialized plotline, having one turbofucks what made the show good to begin with, and it wasn't a particularly good serialized plotline, either.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Archer is still good for the characters (90% of that goodness is Pam) but lately I just find it so tiring to watch. The jokes are just endless callbacks to earlier seasons and nothing happens in half the episodes because it's all endless bickering and treading water due to the new serialised format. I miss the old days of killer standalone episodes like the Skytanic.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did Archer start writing new jokes? I stopped watching in season 6 when Kenny Rogers showed up to play Danger Zone. That show had an ability to drive a joke into the ground.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Pixeltendo posted:

Shows that were good start to end?

mmm

Batman the Brave and the Bold
Mystery Inc.
Samurai Jack
Mystery Inc is definitely one of the best cartoons in the last 5 years that no on talks about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've seen like 20 seconds of Mystery Inc. and it was Velma giving Shaggy poo poo about their breakup

It didn't exactly inspire me to see more

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've watched three Ralph Bakshi films (American Pop, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin) in the last two days and they've all been fantastic. I've always liked him, but kinda wrote him off as the guy that drew naked ladies and rotoscoped and assumed his films didn't hold up, but his work is wonderful.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IUG posted:

Did Archer start writing new jokes? I stopped watching in season 6 when Kenny Rogers showed up to play Danger Zone. That show had an ability to drive a joke into the ground.

1) if I remember correctly that was season 5, which was pretty much the weakest season so far (but still Pretty Okay)

2) you're thinking Loggins, not Rogers, Kenny Rogers is the Gambler guy

3) that bit was pretty much the end of the Danger Zone joke (I think they've mentioned it a grand total of once in three seasons since) and it owned

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen like 20 seconds of Mystery Inc. and it was Velma giving Shaggy poo poo about their breakup

It didn't exactly inspire me to see more
Yeah, but it had this gag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q
It had a really good voice cast too

As for other shows I feel this cheating but Dexter's Lab and Spongebob were both great and their movies should have been the series finale respectively.

Also Symbiotic Titan but that is only because it lasted for such a short time.

Oh and Johnny Bravo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't like Mystery Inc. and thought it was bland.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

I've watched three Ralph Bakshi films (American Pop, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin) in the last two days and they've all been fantastic. I've always liked him, but kinda wrote him off as the guy that drew naked ladies and rotoscoped and assumed his films didn't hold up, but his work is wonderful.

Sounds like you're ready for Wizards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, but it had this gag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q
It had a really good voice cast too

As for other shows I feel this cheating but Dexter's Lab and Spongebob were both great and their movies should have been the series finale respectively.

Also Symbiotic Titan but that is only because it lasted for such a short time.

Oh and Johnny Bravo.

To add to that, Avatar: The Last Airbender and, to a slightly lesser extent, Legend of Korra (in fact, I wouldn't mind if they did a third series one day though it's probably not going to happen at this point).

Also Gravity Falls.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 1, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hi everybody, no one wants to hear your opinion on which Korra season is good lets move on to captain underpants

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm excited for it and I'm actually debating whether to break my habit of seeing matinees to go see it on opening night after work tomorrow.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sounds like you're ready for Wizards.

I hope so, I think it'll be next.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Wizards is so loving good, definitely Bakshi's peak as far as I'm concerned

Unmature
May 9, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Wizards is so loving good, definitely Bakshi's peak as far as I'm concerned

I've always heard it's great. American Pop is gonna be heard to beat for me, I'm still thinking about it days later.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Larryb posted:

To add to that, Avatar: The Last Airbender and, to a slightly lesser extent, Legend of Korra (in fact, I wouldn't mind if they did a third series one day though it's probably not going to happen at this point).

Korra was absolutely loving atrocious in the second season, to the point I still haven't been assed enough to watch seasons 3 and 4 even though they're apparently pretty good.

and Avatar is one of the best animated shows ever made but that is very much in spite of a weak start rather than because of consistent quality

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try to defend S2 of Korra, even if it had the story of Wan and the journey to the Spirit World. That being said, though, S3 managed to make the mother of all saving catches for a show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Koramei posted:

Korra was absolutely loving atrocious in the second season, to the point I still haven't been assed enough to watch seasons 3 and 4 even though they're apparently pretty good.

and Avatar is one of the best animated shows ever made but that is very much in spite of a weak start rather than because of consistent quality

True, maybe good from beginning to end isn't exactly an honest way of describing it as Avatar has kind of a weak start but pretty much stays consistently good once it picks up steam. Korra, meanwhile, starts off strong, falls flat on it's face for a bit, but then manages to become decent again towards the last half.

Still though, I found both shows fairly entertaining overall (I also only just watched them for the first time fairly recently). They're hardly flawless but if the creators were to bring it back for another go around I'd probably watch it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try to defend S2 of Korra, even if it had the story of Wan and the journey to the Spirit World. That being said, though, S3 managed to make the mother of all saving catches for a show.

I've recently rewatched both Avatar and Korra, and I think Season 3 of Korra may be the strongest season of both series.

But whoa boy, that second season or Korra sure is trash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Captain Underpants is hanging in at in 85% on Rotten Tomatoes out of 24 reviews, so that's a good sign!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Unmature posted:

I've always heard it's great. American Pop is gonna be heard to beat for me, I'm still thinking about it days later.

It's definitely good, but Wizards is like the movie-pitch scene of Heavy Traffic stretched into an entire feature. It's unabashedly a countercultural art film in the same vein as his first three pictures, but because it's calculatedly restrained to be distributed by a major studio and appeal to a limited family demographic, it has the effect of just magnifying all the latent obscenity.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
A silly thing I noticed while watching the Heavy Metal 2000 trailer for some reason.

https://twitter.com/MrMattJay/status/870473659357556736

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://vimeo.com/217931360 hello animation Consumers thread, here is some animation i made that you all can Consume

whats the buzz also on captain underpants, good buzz?

also korras better because it does not end with a prepubescent bald kid gettin his rocks off, all of countercultural charlie brown erotica broadcast into homes by cable conglomerates and robbed of its power bc it lives at thebehest of slime infomercials

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 2, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Unmature posted:

A silly thing I noticed while watching the Heavy Metal 2000 trailer for some reason.

https://twitter.com/MrMattJay/status/870473659357556736
As an owner of the soundtrack CD, it took me like twenty seconds before understanding that you were pointing out a typo and not that there was something weird with those two bands.
Until I realized that I was all just, "yeah, they had good songs, so loving what?" :colbert:

FunkyAl posted:

whats the buzz also on captain underpants, good buzz?
I've only been hearing good buzz about it. But it's mostly nostalgia-based.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All of Avatar is amazing, even the first season started really drat strong and only got better. There are some one off episodes that don't exactly inspire confidence but they're hardly enough to mare a fantastic series.

Korra is trash, even the third season. I kept coming back and it kept letting me down. So much wasted potential. I should probably watch the fourth season just to say I have but I honestly don't know why I'd bother since none of the first three seasons do anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ehh, I'd say Avatar started off kinda weak, though the creative team had enough talent to make episodes like 'The Blue Spirit' to convince the execs to give it a chance. And from there, well... We all know the rest. :v:

Kind of a shame that Korra is probably going to be the last part of the franchise ever, but I can't really blame Mike and Bryke for wanting to go for new endeavors, especially after how badly Nickelodeon jerked them around during the final season's production and airing.