Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I always enjoy seeing whether goons will call a new hero overpowered or lovely in the first 5 minutes after they are shown. Looks like this one has been deemed... lovely.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
7 bars of damage and 6 bars of survivability?

OP as gently caress, calling it right now.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So hitting someone with a single basic attack nails then for 10% of their base health?
It could also just guarantee over the next 4 seconds after you stop hitting them they'll lose 10% health.
I mean we'll have to see what Malth's talents and numbers look like and range on those abilities, or if that health tickdown stacks. His gimmick could also be basics hit for 0 up front and only apply that DOT. So wailing on someone just guarantees 2.5% max hp damage per second that keeps up 4 seconds after the fight.

I'm having trouble seeing how what they've previewed will be a balanced and fun addition to the game, But that's also the point of these teasers. They're not gonna build hype for a new character if their pitch is "An interesting gimmick that has some uses against specific comps, but also has glaring weaknesses." It's always "Look at this new poo poo! You like Lunara right? You like Tychus right? This is the best parts of both of them but even better!"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
last Rites seems neat.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Deckard Cain :(

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bogart posted:

We didn't listen

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Now I'll never know what all these items are. :smith:

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Sindai posted:

Now I'll never know what all these items are. :smith:

They were all stones of jordan, what a shame.

Edit: Also, to me that looks like a really strong and good trait, but hell what do I know?

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 1, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

He has no disengage, so that's fun. I can't imagine that the DOT stacks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mind over Matter posted:

They were all stones of jordan, what a shame.

Edit: Also, to me that looks like a really strong and good trait, but hell what do I know?

His trait does look good.

But:

He is an assassin with no mobility, no disengage, low health, no range, and 100% of his damage is DoT.

Any comp with lots of mobility, burst, or CC (i.e. basically every team in QM or a semi-competent draft) will be strong against him.

If his trait affects "monsters" then he will probably be very strong on shrines.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
We'll have to see what talents give slows to which of his abilities and at what levels. It's malthiel, it'd be weird without some sort of "chill of the grave" effect. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get at least 1 "give a target outside melee range reaper's mark" otherwise yeah, he has no engage, and the only disengage is hoping to use w to a target out of the fray.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

His trait does look good.

But:

He is an assassin with no mobility, no disengage, low health, no range, and 100% of his damage is DoT.

Any comp with lots of mobility, burst, or CC (i.e. basically every team in QM or a semi-competent draft) will be strong against him.

If his trait affects "monsters" then he will probably be very strong on shrines.

I'm reading it as it would, since otherwise it'd say "a minion or hero" instead of "non-structure" but we'll see. Also his W is a mobility power, just not one that you can engage with and is a situational disengage. We'll have to see its range though, but it can definitely be used to dive a runner.
Also I want to swap QM queues with you.

Or is there more info than just that page somewhere? Since I've seen folks also mention his HP, if they've put out the trailer already it could answer some of these things.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 1, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

BrianBoitano posted:

He has no disengage, so that's fun. I can't imagine that the DOT stacks.

It looks like it only does on his ult.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

We'll have to see what talents give slows to which of his abilities and at what levels. It's malthiel, it'd be weird without some sort of "chill of the grave" effect. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get at least 1 "give a target outside melee range reaper's mark" otherwise yeah, he has no engage, and the only disengage is hoping to use w to a target out of the fray.

He can engage with his Death Shroud to mark someone and then Wraith Striking to them. I imagine he will then die soon after that. But maybe Soul Rip and Tormented Souls will give him some Sonya levels of sustain if he's in the thick of things.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm reading it as it would, since otherwise it'd say "a minion or hero" instead of "non-structure" but we'll see. Also his W is a mobility power, just not one that you can engage with and is a situational disengage. We'll have to see its range though, but it can definitely be used to dive a runner.
Also I want to swap QM queues with you.

Your QM games aren't full of Genji, D.Va, Varian, and Li-Ming???

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Your QM games aren't full of Genji, D.Va, Varian, and Li-Ming???

Only on the other team.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Every Lunara auto attack deals 467 damage at level 20 (the actual attack damage plus the poison). That's 10% or more damage done to most heroes in the game. This damage is dealt faster than Malthael's, can be done at range, and the poison damage can stack.

Malth looks like he will be a very strong solo-laner in the early game, but is going to have a tough time team fighting without a strong support/peel combo supporting him.

It really depends on his talents, though. His basic kit is not super impressive.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Hope it's a Priest with Shadowform as a trait. Maybe Troll?

A troll shadow priest... do you think he's been to the place where darkness is light?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Malthael is a weird tank shredder assassin who does specifically better at busting up tanks and sustaining off it, so that'll be fun

Without the DOT stacking Torrent of Souls seems pretty lame though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kashuno posted:

Malthael is a weird tank shredder assassin who does specifically better at busting up tanks and sustaining off it, so that'll be fun

This describes Tychus if he was worse, melee, and pre-level 13.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Honestly depending on the range, I think Last Rites will be the better ult. Being able to put a two-second "heal or die" sentence on anyone under 33% seems good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bogart posted:

Reaper of Souls was so good that I forgot how lame Malthael The Aspect of Death actually is.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Hard to say until we see talents and range. Last Rites from ranged AA range could be amazing, while from short range could be impossible to get value out of. Likewise, if Death Shroud hits all enemies in a line, moves fast enough, and has enough range, it could be a crazy poke tool that lets you engage with Wraith. This kit can either be really bad or really good, should be interesting.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

bamhand posted:

It depends on their team comp. If they have some divey heroes that decide they want to kill you then often there's not much you can do about it. Sure your team can wipe their whole team in the process but you'll still be dead. You should probably just go mana shield in those cases. Or if they just have a Chromie, you absolutely need mana shield.

If they have a lot of mage hunters I'd worry about being able to get the globes soon enough

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Honestly depending on the range, I think Last Rites will be the better ult. Being able to put a two-second "heal or die" sentence on anyone under 33% seems good.

Keep in mind it's not just heal or die if you're under 33%, it's a 50% damage (and healing) amp for those 2 seconds. In addition to whatever health they were missing prior to the cast.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If they have a lot of mage hunters I'd worry about being able to get the globes soon enough

You can safely soak behind the towers or with your teammates. Also you don't lose them if you die, unlike convection. With Chromie the problem is after she gets loop and then later, her spell amp so you've got time before she gets super dangerous.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I haven't seen the chromie that can time her ult right even I'm gold 2
Globe quests take too long for my liking, but I am used to maps like battlefield

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bamhand posted:

Keep in mind it's not just heal or die if you're under 33%, it's a 50% damage (and healing) amp for those 2 seconds. In addition to whatever health they were missing prior to the cast.

Huh, that's not indicated anywhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I haven't seen the chromie that can time her ult right even I'm gold 2
Globe quests take too long for my liking, but I am used to maps like battlefield

Gold 2 is the bottom 50% though...?

Globe quests are awful. Even the Devs have said they are re-evaluating them.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Huh, that's not indicated anywhere.
Well, it's just a function of the ability. "Take 50% of your missing health in damage" means that any damage done (after it's applied but before it goes off) is effectively boosted by 50% because it counts toward "missing health".

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I ran out of my initial stim pack spree a while ago, but since the anniversary patch I have been getting 1 and 3 day stim packs in every single chest I open. I have about 20 days' worth now. Really wish you could save them to use when want instead of having it instantly apply.

Is anyone else getting a bunch more stim packs or is RNG just loving with me?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Gold 2 is the bottom 50% though...?

Globe quests are awful. Even the Devs have said they are re-evaluating them.

No?

https://i.imgur.com/jBYz1dR.png

I know this is out dated but even pulling a few percent from gold to buff up the higher ranks it's still only 35-40% of the population is Platinum and up

Wait do the numbers count up in hots like siege or down like league. I assumed gold 2 was second best golds. Whatever I don't give a poo poo I only wanted my raptor.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Is Malthael the first hero without a master skin? Had the feeling those might get the kibosh sooner rather than later.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

Is Malthael the first hero without a master skin? Had the feeling those might get the kibosh sooner rather than later.

Maybe he will have them, doesn't it take a day or so for the reveal vid to release?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bio347 posted:

Well, it's just a function of the ability. "Take 50% of your missing health in damage" means that any damage done (after it's applied but before it goes off) is effectively boosted by 50% because it counts toward "missing health".

Oh, right, I getcha. An effective amp, not an actual amp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It's really hard to tell from the wording if you get the CDR on that ult from letting the ult kill them or doing it before the ult goes off. If it's the latter that's bad design because it encourages people to waste their ult on the lowest health target.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But the better ult for Chromie is Shifting Sands, isn't it? Insert on choke/shrine/fort space between towers, taps, and forts, shoot sands, get kills.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bogart posted:

But the better ult for Chromie is Shifting Sands, isn't it? Insert on choke/shrine/fort space between towers, taps, and forts, shoot sands, get kills.

With no cleanse like effects loop is almost always correct.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I prefer shifting sands. It's easier to use, can protect me, and help my team.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm having trouble seeing how what they've previewed will be a balanced and fun addition to the game, But that's also the point of these teasers. They're not gonna build hype for a new character if their pitch is "An interesting gimmick that has some uses against specific comps, but also has glaring weaknesses." It's always "Look at this new poo poo! You like Lunara right? You like Tychus right? This is the best parts of both of them but even better!"

He's melee with highly conditional mobility that can only be used to initiate, not to escape. Lunara has permanent 20% speed, a slow, and conditionally Leaping Strike. Tychus has a slow, a knockback, and a dash. They're also both ranged.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That said, Malthael fucks up Cho'Gall even worse than Tychus/Leoric do.