Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870394672274952196

I have a small hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Pennsylvania: At the forefront of race-based voter suppression but we're mainly talking about a job that has a lot of cultural meaning as a dog-whistle for poor whites.

This is a shocking turn of events and definitely what we should focus on above all.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Jaxyon posted:

Pennsylvania: At the forefront of race-based voter suppression but we're mainly talking about a job that has a lot of cultural meaning as a dog-whistle for poor whites.

This is a shocking turn of events and definitely what we should focus on above all.

How about...the Dems focus on both?

And again, it's not just the coal jobs that's the problem. It's auto workers, appliance manufacturers, and other Rust Belt jobs that are gone and have not been replaced.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

"Donald Trump posted:

I've known Paris Hilton from the time she's 12... Her parents are friends of mine and the first time I saw her she walked into a room and I said, "Who the hell is that?"
Reminder that that only Paris that Trump wouldn't pull out of is Paris Hilton.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

No, I think coal workers were part of the problem, as were other laid-off/underemployed industrial workers. The point is, the Dems need to promise a jobs program if they want to win in those Blue Wall states again.

Your gut feeling is wrong, which we know because of the studies done on the election, and which has been explained to you multiple times, so maybe can we not loving discuss the election again with somebody who absolutely refuses to listen, thanks everyone

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EwokEntourage posted:

Melania already sued a blogger for defamation this year

the blogger was published by a major tabloid newspaper. when the daily mail starts publishing stories based on this woman's twitter feed, we can talk

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

QuoProQuid posted:

i'm glad we're now measuring human worth by the size of a person's voting bloc. next time someone complains to me about the decline of their community and their livelihood, im just going to answer "well, yeah, but mining and manufacturing is an increasingly small part of the american economy and..."

the declining quality of life in communities across west virginia, kentucky, and pennsyvlania should be a concern for americans. the democrats ignore those issues at their own peril.

This is the part where you try and frame my disagreement as if I dont Care About Real America as we just focus on poor whites

despite the part where I was talking about how much the few coal workers left have been hosed.

If you want to find a post where I said I don't give a poo poo about declining quality of life go ahead but you won't because you are trying to have the argument you want me to be making instead of the one I am

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Majorian posted:

That's literally the point I am making but we can't seem to stop talking about The Poor Whites in this thread.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Don't equate bowling and coal, bowling is actually fun + good, neither of which can be said of Black Lung: The Career.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Make Our Planet Great Again
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMKgoodLyqKL

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Majorian posted:

And again, it's not just the coal jobs that's the problem. It's auto workers, appliance manufacturers, and other Rust Belt jobs that are gone and have not been replaced.

All of which Dems talked about but they didn't couch it in xenophobic rhetoric and that's the key difference.

The point of mentioning coal is it's a Good White Job.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Couldn't Congress smother this in its crib if they wanted? No interstate compacts without consent of Congress and all.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

botany posted:

Your gut feeling is wrong,

It's not a gut feeling; Thomas Frank has been studying and reporting on this for decades now.

And I didn't get us on this subtopic, so don't whine at me.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Majorian posted:

No, I think coal workers were part of the problem, as were other laid-off/underemployed industrial workers. The point is, the Dems need to promise a jobs program if they want to win in those Blue Wall states again.

They did. Clinton mentioned jobs in every stump speech and it was the first thing she mentioned in the first debate.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Use the accurate words when writing your academic paper. Explain things longform when talking to Uncle Notsobright at Thanksgiving.
I sure hope nobody is sitting around conversing with folks and didactically refusing to use anything except for the approvedtm terms and not explaining them. Frankly, one of the reasons I love toxic masculinity as a term is that it's so immediately relatable in conversation. Spend maybe 10 seconds explaining the term and if there's still confusion, point to nearly anything in media. The tropes are all over pop culture because they're a universal part of our experience, not because of the ideology of some hollywood castratrix (hi stone cold!).

Fojar38 posted:

Seems to me like preserving the intangible and abstract value of the work that has been poured into the field is less important than winning elections and getting policies in line with them implemented.

Doing that requires explaining it to Joe Schmoe whose chief source of information is facebook.
You seem to double down when someone jumps you aggressively for this, so let me try it from the other angle: The PR problem you discuss is literally "what about the men?" Can you think of any reason that those with a personal investment in the space would be suspicious of someone who listens to that complaint and goes "your concern is not only valid, but should motivate us to strip the focus away from women entirely"? It's the same mentality that #AllLivesMatter sprang from, and flawed for the same reason: the gender equality of men is not in question* and the only reason to broaden the scope is to deprioritize the specific concern.

It's triangulating bullshit. Clinton's husband did it 25 years ago and it was enough to invalidate the 2016 platform from the left-but I guess that was only a problem because it was economic and not social? "Listen, we care about your concerns-but if we don't discuss them, we can get more voters to join our coalition. We promise that we'll take care of you once that happens" are the last words you hear before you're sold out, ever since the days of Dorr.

*To the extent that male equality is a question from a gender lens, it's entirely internecine. Egalitarianism vs Feminism has minimal impact on those concerns.

Fojar38 posted:

It's really weird that people seem to think that I am even a little bit of a Trump supporter just because I'm not melting down at every tweet. Are we measuring political positions by how visibly upset someone gets at particular things?
Moreso by which things you choose to get worked up over. Not that you'd ever be red, or mad, or even nude online.

For instance:

Majorian posted:

Majorian posted:

That's a lazy cop-out of an answer that does nothing to put Pennsylvania back in the Dem column.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

All of which Dems talked about but they didn't couch it in xenophobic rhetoric and that's the key difference.

The point of mentioning coal is it's a Good White Job.

Starts out as white but boy howdy doesn't end that way.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

fsif posted:

They did. Clinton mentioned jobs in every stump speech and it was the first thing she mentioned in the first debate.

Yep. I can even dig up a study I think, regarding manufacturing job mentions of her vs Trump, with her leading

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Crows Turn Off posted:

Reminder that that only Paris that Trump wouldn't pull out of is Paris Hilton.
Not cool! I'm about to clock out from work and the last thing I need is that loving image in my head! :mad:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pakled posted:

Couldn't Congress smother this in its crib if they wanted? No interstate compacts without consent of Congress and all.

iirc, congressional approval is only needed if the agreement would increase the power of the states at the expense of the federal government

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fsif posted:

Jaxyon posted:

Yep. I can even dig up a study I think, regarding manufacturing job mentions of her vs Trump, with her leading

I'll answer these in the Dems thread so we can end this derail here.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ah, thanks.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

loving amazing

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

fsif posted:

Majoran had this exact same discussion in the last thread with the same points brought up, people like that are not going to listen/learn.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stillvisions posted:

If he stays President, I can bet there will be three years private communications with EU and others promising he'll rejoin the Paris agreement in exchange for some trade concession or something else equally petty/showy he can use to prove he's a super-negotiator. It won't work (please please please let me be right) but I'm sure he's seeing this as "creating leverage".

They have already told him to get hosed in the most polite terms. His lack of social skills or self-awareness means he doesn't get the message. When he does feel some heat he turns into a orb and hides.

You don't need sanctions to get the US back on track, you need everyone to tell Trump to go gently caress himself at every turn. Grind him into paste.

No bank in America will do bushiness with him because of his "Art of the deal". Hence he does his banking in Russia.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Wark Say posted:

Not cool! I'm about to clock out from work and the last thing I need is that loving image in my head! :mad:
As absolutely awful of a mental image that is, I think hearing it would be even worse than seeing it.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 1, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Not one of the factions I expected for ACW2 but I'm intrigued by its unit list.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

that kinda broke my brain for a variety of reasons

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War. The South grasping desperately onto another destructive yet patently antiquated institution and way of life leading to secession.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 1, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I mean, it shortens down to "The Alliance" pretty readily.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Majoran had this exact same discussion in the last thread with the same points brought up, people like that are not going to listen/learn.

Tell me what I'm missing here. I genuinely want to know.

Yeah, I'm excited to see if this can put a positive spin on massive government spending on green technology.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that CWII doesn't start with a bunch of states voluntarily upholding regulations that have been abandoned on a federal level. I know DND likes to be dramatic but come the gently caress on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War. The South grasping desperately onto another destructive yet patently antiquated institution and way of life.

Hopefully the next incarnation of Sherman gets to finish the job then.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War. The South grasping desperately onto another destructive yet patently antiquated institution and way of life.

Blue states have the victory in the bag. Just make opioids available over the counter, and the red states will kill themselves.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This feels like the lead up to another Civil War. The South grasping desperately onto another destructive yet patently antiquated institution and way of life leading to secession.

i feel like you don't know what you are talking about

TyrantWD posted:

Blue states have the victory in the bag. Just make opioids available over the counter, and the red states will kill themselves.

that's a p lovely joke, man

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

botany posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that CWII doesn't start with a bunch of states voluntarily upholding regulations that have been abandoned on a federal level. I know DND likes to be dramatic but come the gently caress on.

States already do this with various regulations from the EPA.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What if Washington/California/Oregon/New York united for a single-payer health plan and used Canada as a go-between to import drugs cheaply, bypassing the FDA

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

It's a nice thought, but the "Demographics are destiny" philosophy only takes us so far. Turns out poor uneducated whites die out more slowly than we anticipated.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

botany posted:

I know DND likes to be dramatic but come the gently caress on.

:ssh: You're going to give it away.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 1, 2017

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

That's being more than a bit histrionic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Robot Hobo posted:

As absolutely awful of a mental image that is, I think hearing it would be even worse than seeing it.
:yikes:

• Locked thread