Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I don't much care for this Senator Moorlach. I'd much rather Senator Eloi was speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Phantoms In The Snow: Canadians’ Use Of Health Care Services In The United States by Steven J. Katz, Karen Cardiff, Marina Pascali, Morris L. Barer and Robert G. Evans posted:

These findings from U.S. data are supported by responses to a large population-based health survey, the NPHS, in Canada undertaken during our study period (1996). As noted above, 0.5 percent of respondents indicated that they had received health care in the United States in the prior year, but only 0.11 percent (20 of 18,000 respondents) said that they had gone there for the purpose of obtaining any type of health care, whether or not covered by the public plans.

doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.21.3.19

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
READING BILLS IS HARD! :cry:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
90% of the time bills don't reach the floor unless they know it's going to pass. No one in the majority wants to waste legislative time on non-starters.

90% of the time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mordiceius posted:

It's not even all that long!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I love how every time they bring up "the rich" they talk about "the couple that started a small business."

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I just logged onto the stream.... I'm guessing the name on the screen is not the name of the person talking.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I just logged onto the stream.... I'm guessing the name on the screen is not the name of the person talking.

nope, name of guy who introduced the bill

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

I'm not watching at the moment but earlier it was the bill's author and they would briefly show the speaker's name when they took the podium.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

CopperHound posted:

Yeah this is the guy from Tehama county, not Lara.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mordiceius posted:

You had one job.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

"There is no rush"

Other than people dying from lack of health care.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
"I support Single Payer in theory but"

oh look at that I hate you already, no need to keep talking

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordiceius posted:

"There is no rush"

Other than people dying from lack of health care.

Yeah, like, holy gently caress. If the AHCA passes then people will die.

Also, your proposal to "avoid kicking the can" is to kick the can down the line another year, you hypocrite.

I'm surprised we only had one bad Dem so far, mind- Wait sounds like we might have a second one coming up. Hrm.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 1, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I believe in Single Payer so much that I need to vote to kill it

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
MULTI PAYER SYSTEM

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"This bill doesn't have enough in it!" Well that's why it sets up a regulatory board and advisement council to produce the nitty-gritty details:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB562#id_23920917-3D53-42F4-AF9E-6297BD5B870D

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, Allen isn't bad. He's another "I support it even though I have reservations, because I trust that they will be addressed". Hueso's the one bastard so far.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, Allen isn't bad. He's another "I support it even though I have reservations, because I trust that they will be addressed". Hueso's the one bastard so far.

Yeah he was scaring me until he said he trusts the process.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Newman is suuupppeerr vulnerable (facing a recall), don't know which way he'll go on this.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

It's not like we don't have 4 other attempted single payer bills on in this state to look at for reference.

Also, now my senator is on the floor. Hoo boy. He barely won his seat and is already facing a threat of recall over his vote on SB1.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

themrguy posted:

Newman is suuupppeerr vulnerable (facing a recall), don't know which way he'll go on this.

Sounds like he's another "concerned but supportive" person. He and Allen both worried me, but, yeah.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah I have more sympathy for Being Recalled Man but I'm glad he's being brave here

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

holy poo poo, he's voting for it

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

holy poo poo, he's voting for it

Is this going to pass? Holy gently caress.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
i know hope is a mistake, but uhhhh drat

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

This lady is pulling out the 'my spouse is a small business owner and we want this because we're not pieces of poo poo' card. You go, Senator.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I know that single payer is the star, but here are the other things that have passed in the last day:
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870414521407463424
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870415386767892480
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870416104253906944
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870416690378440704
https://twitter.com/hayesdavenport/status/870417136140800000

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 2, 2017

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
if it passes the senate that's probably ballgame for the legislature, they wouldn't have brought it to the senate floor without doing the armbreaking necessary there first.

Brown's signature on the other hand...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Every single Republican who whines about partisanship needs to go gently caress off forever

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think nearly every speaker is just trying to hedge their vote. Most of them are either saying "I support single payer, but am voting no on this" or "I have reservations about this bill, but I am going to vote yes."

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

loving young people buying their Teslas.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oh boy, another hosed up bastard. "Rich people like it, so what's the problem?"

Edit: hospital competition lmfao

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ha ha this guy: "Hospitals + Capitalism = Good!"

The arguments coming from the GOP side are so brazenly weak. The strongest one is that the funding source is TBD, but then they get into "It's gonna cost $400B!" and neglect to mention that citizens and employers make most of that back by not having to gently caress with insurance companies.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
A government run program that's cheaper than a private version?

Health care you vile gently caress

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

"My party is super petty so we all know they're to try to gently caress our state."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Digging this entirely unsourced 15% tax figure they keep bandying about. Also, "From what I'm hearing, businesses will close." Hearing from where, huh?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Someone hang a private health insurer's butthole off the end of a pier so this guy runs off

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Oh gently caress this guy god I hate this piece of poo poo he's voting against

Edit: Wow What A Surprise How Could We Have Seen This Coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, this guy's another bad Democrat. Ugh. So, that's three now, I think?