Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I checked and the Dems in CA legislature have almost exactly 2/3 seats in the Senate and Assembly. So they need every Dem on board to raise taxes or pass a budget and I'm sure there are a good number of moderate Dems that would balk at single payer.

They don't need a supermajority to pass a budget anymore actually. Thank God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

What's that man doing to our nation

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Your daily dose of what the gently caress are they doing.

https://twitter.com/thegarance/status/870420332565475328

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

When you turn 30, 4am becomes a pipe dream.

I'll never turn 30, I'd rather DIE

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Josh Lyman posted:

When you turn 30, 4am becomes a pipe dream.

Oh yeah, I'm way past those days. But I had me some fun when I was young and resilient. Which made bar hopping road trips a real challenge sometimes and a little depressing when the answer to "What's there to do around here?" comes back as "Skeezy strip joint", "sketchy bar", "parking lot of the mart", or "ride mattresses tied to the back of trucks."

The other day I had 2 beers and dozed off before 9.

You don't know what you got till its gone.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

the trump picture is an illustration by christoph niemanna for a newyorker article

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/31/the-fearful-and-the-frustrated

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Phoix posted:

Hahaha, someone is going to jail. There's just no way Flynn or Jared or someone similar won't at this point.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Phoix posted:

It's the speed that they wanted to get that done with that's loving scary. Serious follow up question as well, will these sanctions ever get lifted or is this just the new normal?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nazzadan posted:

drat Trump voters.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Pellisworth posted:

I checked and the Dems in CA legislature have almost exactly 2/3 seats in the Senate and Assembly. So they need every Dem on board to raise taxes or pass a budget and I'm sure there are a good number of moderate Dems that would balk at single payer.

edit: I remember a few years ago there was a ballot initiative here in LA to raise the sales tax by I think a quarter of a percent to fund faster expansion of the subway/public transit system. I was super happy to see it got 66.6% in favor but then reading the news it turns out it failed because you need 66.7% :shepface:

A recent one passed and it is huge
http://theplan.metro.net/

Raises close to a billion dollars a year for 40 years to help fund shitload of public transit expansions and maintenance

Just for LA (and surrounding areas)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

Republicans trying really hard to help you out here.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

pumpinglemma posted:

I know it's both evil and impractical, but I'm going to say it anyway: build a loving wall. And make them pay for it.

The joke's on you, they'd build the wall first.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nazzadan posted:

nice try, dorian gray

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Majorian posted:

Hahaha, someone is going to jail. There's just no way Flynn or Jared or someone similar won't at this point.

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Phoix posted:

Christ, they don't care about hiding it at all

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

J33uk posted:

It's the speed that they wanted to get that done with that's loving scary. Serious follow up question as well, will these sanctions ever get lifted or is this just the new normal?

I've read that Trump had to give up on that because congressional republicans quietly informed Trump and the white house that they would reinstate the sanctions and maybe even impose new ones with a veto-proof 2/3 majority. The only route to getting rid of sanctions is for Trump to make the case to congress and voters that Russia can be our friends, which is really hard to do when everyone believes you sold us out for hacking help during the election.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Phoix posted:

Its almost a little sad it didn't succeed because like, can you imagine the "No, we're not in bed with Russia" stuff we'd be hearing in all these investigations if they had literally come out of the gates with Russia as their #1 priority?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Raises close to a billion dollars a year for 40 years to help fund shitload of public transit expansions and maintenance

Yeah I ride the LA Metro rail pretty often, it's actually quite good it just has really lovely coverage.

The one I'm remembering was in 2012 https://ballotpedia.org/Los_Angeles_County_Sales_Tax_for_Transportation,_Measure_J_(November_2012)

I guess it was actually 66.1% but recall thinking "oh wow a 2/3 requirement is loving stupid"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

STAC Goat posted:

I always forget its weird that bars around here stay open until 4. It was such a culture shock when I started traveling and found out that bars closed at like the time I would go out at home.

Yeah, this doesn't mean anything more than MAYBE Joe Biden is MAYBE thinking of MAYBE running so he's getting the ball running and doing the pre-pre-work. But he could just as easily just be raising money for other political advocacy or bar tabs or something because even if he doesn't plan to run for oldest President ever he still isn't ready to retire from the politics.

Having lived in places where there's 24 hour bars, the biggest advantage is 3-5AM bar food when you're sober.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Has McCain weighed in yet? Is he troubled?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Has McCain weighed in yet? Is he troubled?

Initially, yes, but it turned out to just be indigestion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lote posted:

Having lived in places where there's 24 hour bars, the biggest advantage is 3-5AM bar food when you're sober.

Yeah, its just a nice little routine that I got "raised" on in my early drinking days of like get ready and pregame after dinner, go out around 10, bar hop a little if you want or check out a band or something, maybe go hook up, and meet back up around 3 or 4 for some food. It was weird learning that there were so many places where like 10 was late.

But as I said, I'm now old and just remember my glory days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I go to bed around 9 pm most nights.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

It's probably not illegal unless they can find a rock solid financial or campaign link.

There's a good argument to be made for normalizing some relations with Russia. The sanctions aren't having the desired effect and pushing Russia to the diplomatic fringes isn't good for anyone. That just encourages the meddling and interference since they have very little to lose. I think Russian household income is half what it was pre-sanctions and all that's done is make Putin stronger since he can blame the West for everything.

That said, Trump was totally doing this for condos in Crimea.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

nice

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's probably not illegal unless they can find a rock solid financial or campaign link.

Right, but it's still material evidence in putting together a case of collusion.

The Glumslinger posted:

And now the metro goes out to the Westside! It's loving ridiculous. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: quote is not edit

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can you believe that that orange turd is going to be in history textbooks as the president kids have to read forevermore?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/870425834984755201

:same:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Can you believe that that orange turd is going to be in history textbooks as the president kids have to read forevermore?

My favourite part of thinking into the future is that at some point a group of historians is going to be assigned to reading through the Something Awful Forums during the pre and post Trump era.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Majorian posted:

Right, but it's still material evidence in putting together a case of collusion.

And now the metro goes out to the Westside! It's loving ridiculous. I never thought I'd live to see the day.

I mean, I don't live in LA anymore, but I would have killed people for the Sepulveda Pass Corridor Railway that is being planned. That is gonna do so much to improve traffic in LA

I'm still incredibly salty that the Expo Line opened literally (yes literally) a week before I graduated from USC

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

I was really worried about them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't know how they managed to move on that quickly. It's almost as if they...didn't really give a poo poo about it in the first place...:iiam:

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah, well, so is Nixon, so is Buchanan, so is Harding. I'd rather not be remembered, than be remembered like they are.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

http://isdeathcertain.com

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I go to bed around 9 pm most nights.

How much sleep do you get?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Furnaceface posted:

My favourite part of thinking into the future is that at some point a group of historians is going to be assigned to reading through the Something Awful Forums during the pre and post Trump era.

Someone is going to do their doctoral thesis on what arzying truly means.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's a good argument to be made for normalizing some relations with Russia. The sanctions aren't having the desired effect and pushing Russia to the diplomatic fringes isn't good for anyone. That just encourages the meddling and interference since they have very little to lose. I think Russian household income is half what it was pre-sanctions and all that's done is make Putin stronger since he can blame the West for everything.

That said, Trump was totally doing this for condos in Crimea.

I remember the Obama administration pushing really strongly that Syria would turn in an Afghan style quagmire for the Russians and ultimately that never happened. Sure there were losses but ultimately Putin committed hard (and violently) enough to see it through and the sanctions seem to be working about as well. They're certainly having an effect on the Russian economy but in terms of deterring or changing behaviour they've not made an enormous impact. I suppose you could make an argument that tanking their economy long term could lead to a change of government that wouldn't be a bunch of dicks but we've kinda tried that one already.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

From the NYT's newest "diversity" hire:

https://twitter.com/BretStephensNYT/status/870352879965675520

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm still incredibly salty that the Expo Line opened literally (yes literally) a week before I graduated from USC

Ahahahaaaaa! Yeah, that would be pretty galling.

That poo poo always happens though. My college (Occidental) got a brand new dorm with giant singles rooms and a nice gym immediately after I graduated. After I had lived in roach motels all four years. loving assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its just a nice little routine that I got "raised" on in my early drinking days of like get ready and pregame after dinner, go out around 10, bar hop a little if you want or check out a band or something, maybe go hook up, and meet back up around 3 or 4 for some food. It was weird learning that there were so many places where like 10 was late.

But as I said, I'm now old and just remember my glory days.

Where was this? I did pretty much the same thing in Hawaii. It was weird though, like some places closed at 2 a.m. others are 4 a.m. it felt like clubs were open longer than most bars.

• Locked thread