Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Boy howdy I love that all of the garbage tweets and youtube comments and trackforum posts I specifically avoid get reposted here like its some sort of link aggregator of garbage.

Also yeah Belle Isle gets a lot of visitors in the summer, its quite nice.

you're a miserable gently caress aren't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

you're a miserable gently caress aren't you?

Am I more, or less miserable than Jenna Fryer's twitter account?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm going to watch the other oval races. The Indy 500 came in my mouth and it felt good. Will I be disappointed with the other oval races?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

It's like here's the thing.

This is about as good as you're going to get in the auto racing community. Save for my buds on twitter? There's not much better. If Uncle Jam is expecting some sort of great paradise of great posting? It ain't happening.

Related note? Don't you frequent worst thread? I mean if that's not pot calling the kettle black....

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm going to watch the other oval races. The Indy 500 came in my mouth and it felt good. Will I be disappointed with the other oval races?

you will see overtaking at all of them

Texas is a fun race

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Texas is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv8KNya9aeA

Iowa is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4J4DiXZUVk

Not sure about Gateway...havn't raced there since 2003, so it's a big question mark.

Pocono is a bit of a yawner, but the attrition can make it interesting.

Other events? I'd advise skipping Belle Isle unless you're hardcore into it. Road America is interesting, legendary :911: road course. Toronto can provide some "lol" worthy crashes. The Glen is also great.. Mid Ohio is fun to attend, but on tv? Yawn.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
haha beat you to Texas with my ninja edit

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The late CART era short oval races kinda stunk. Hopefully Gateway isn't Phoenix mark II.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Wirth1000 posted:

Hopefully you will not be disappointed. Texas tends to put on a good show, and Pocono isn't too bad either. Iowa and St. Louis might suffer from the same drag/passing issues that Phoenix had, we'll have to see.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

haha beat you to Texas with my ninja edit

hahhaha.

A lot of crazy poo poo happened during the IRL days when they were at venues that were kinda yawners for Cup (Texas, Las Vegas, Chicagoland, Kentucky, New Atlanta, Fontana, and Michigan). You don't get it that much any more, but Texas is one of the cookie cutter clones so you get a taste of it.

CART used to have similar sort of races at Michigan, Fontana during the "Hanford device" days which are worth looking up.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's like here's the thing.

This is about as good as you're going to get in the auto racing community. Save for my buds on twitter? There's not much better. If Uncle Jam is expecting some sort of great paradise of great posting? It ain't happening.

Related note? Don't you frequent worst thread? I mean if that's not pot calling the kettle black....

I dunno about the worst thread, you post a ton more there than I do.

It'd be cool though to have posting to be better than slightly-less-poo poo-than-the-poo poo and actually have content and not just a bunch of cp twitter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Road America is also the 3rd longest course in the world seeing regular use (Sarthe and Spa are longer) and the longest in the US. It's a course with elevation changes, sharp corners, and flat out areas.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

It'd be cool though to have posting to be better than slightly-less-poo poo-than-the-poo poo and actually have content and not just a bunch of cp twitter.

Well give me an example of what you want then?

If you're being sincere I'll try my best to find more interesting material.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Uncle Jam posted:

fyi auto racing thread because immeasurable better if you ignore Fuzzy, Viking and Peanut(if you read the NASCAR thread)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

FuzzySkinner posted:

Well give me an example of what you want then?

If you're being sincere I'll try my best to find more interesting material.

Dude I'm not gonna list out some 12 step process for improved posting. But just reposting some randoms' opinion where the only thing anyone can do about it is get angry and stamp feet is pointless and checking twitter it is a veritable firehose of garbage (Maybe I'm old but I don't understand how people who actual put worthwhile stuff there deal with that). Every second of the day there will be something showing up there that will make you angry and you can spend the rest of your life mounting this empty anger against an infinite sea of never-ending dumb tweets but why would you want to do that? Just actual facts, histories, any discussion of the future based in reality about IndyCar is a billion times better.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

7:20am PDT streaming for DGP practice 1. I guess I can get up early on a work day.
:sigh:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

Dude I'm not gonna list out some 12 step process for improved posting. But just reposting some randoms' opinion where the only thing anyone can do about it is get angry and stamp feet is pointless and checking twitter it is a veritable firehose of garbage (Maybe I'm old but I don't understand how people who actual put worthwhile stuff there deal with that). Every second of the day there will be something showing up there that will make you angry and you can spend the rest of your life mounting this empty anger against an infinite sea of never-ending dumb tweets but why would you want to do that? Just actual facts, histories, any discussion of the future based in reality about IndyCar is a billion times better.

Well do you want to talk about why it would be cool if they brought back the Michigan/US 500 and if such an event would ever be viable in the near future?

Kinda curious if they could ever get that to work again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Uncle Jam posted:

No one seemed really mad before right now

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IIRC the problem with Michigan is track leadership doesn't think they can make a profit off the series making a return. Maybe if they did a weekend concert/EDM combo?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
whoa geez guys calm down

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bentai posted:

IIRC the problem with Michigan is track leadership doesn't think they can make a profit off the series making a return. Maybe if they did a weekend concert/EDM combo?

People seemed pleased with the snake pit thing at indy I heard?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah, that's why I wonder if MIS couldn't do the same. They'd also have to schedule it so it doesn't interfere with the two nascar races, and far enough away from Detroit that there's little to no risk of impinging on ticket sales. This can be fixed by starting the series earlier in the year, or going later, or both, but we know that's not the plan right now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

People seemed pleased with the snake pit thing at indy I heard?

The thing about the Snake Pit is it was an unofficial thing that got made official, which was a good thing because it could get out of hand prior.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

I think that could work. I do think it could be a successful race weekend if done right.

I think the key would be to get fuller racing fields for Pocono, MIS along with the ability to break some speed records like the old day. (Make Saturday worth attending). If only ASA and IROC still existed too....

VikingSkull posted:

whoa geez guys calm down

Viking man...you and I argue sometimes.

But you're a cool dude, and I love your racing pics

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How far do the tracks have to be in order to not impinge on ticket sales then?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That one I'm really not sure about. I just remember Fontana wanted to be as far from Long Beach as possible for ticket sale reasons, and of course Eddie Gossage refuses to support Indycar if they make moves to get a COTA race, because "ticket sales." I suppose I'm more assuming at this point that this would be an issue with DGP/MIS.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I never understood that logic.

i'd go to practice at Mid Ohio, Cleveland during the CART days and rarely saw a negative effect on one another.

e: Especially with COTA and TMS catering towards two different groups of fans.

Oval fans are different than Road Course/IMSA/GP fans. There's some overlap, but you're not gonna get the guy who buys tix for the two cup races there to go "gently caress it.", and not attend the ICS race due to COTA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They should look into a race at Gingerman, given it's entirely on the opposite side of the state.

Maybe Brainerd.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I also don't get how COTA would negatively effect TMS and vice versa. We're talking two entirely different disciplines of racing here.

It would also allow a 1-1 comparison to F1, F2, and LMP1 cars at least in terms of lap speed, which would be interesting to see.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I don't think anyone really knows how COTA would affect TMS except Eddie. But in the past he's thrown fits about the F1 race being on the same weekend as nascar, and apparently has a five year agreement with the series, preventing them from holding any other races in Texas other than at TMS.

And there was this little quote from 2014:

quote:

If IndyCar wants to run in Austin, (my response is) 'God Bless You, it's been a nice 18 years, have fun. We don't need another (race) in the market to cause people to make choices and decisions.'

We have not only earned loyalty in IndyCar, we've paid dearly for it (in sanction fees), huge sums of money that nobody else in the history of IndyCar racing has been required to pay to keep it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I met Uncle Bobby this weekend!

Honestly the kindest men out of all the drivers I met (sans Chuck Hulse and Mad Max Papis). He couldn't sign as he was too tired, but he was so amazingly kind explaining why. I actually was more happy I even got to talk to him than him signing a piece of paper.

iospace posted:

I also don't get how COTA would negatively effect TMS and vice versa. We're talking two entirely different disciplines of racing here.

It would also allow a 1-1 comparison to F1, F2, and LMP1 cars at least in terms of lap speed, which would be interesting to see.

If I lived in Texas? I'd attend both and have a blast.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
you should have asked him about Mario Andretti

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

you should have asked him about Mario Andretti

Didn't get the chance. Just asked him if we could have him in the booth to argue with Sam Posey one more time. :unsmith:.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The only problem with TMS and COTA is that I hate driving on 35 for 4 hours. I have tickets to TMS for indycar and multiple tickets at COTA (I went to see IMSA, then WEC, then F1).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

I don't think anyone really knows how COTA would affect TMS except Eddie. But in the past he's thrown fits about the F1 race being on the same weekend as nascar, and apparently has a five year agreement with the series, preventing them from holding any other races in Texas other than at TMS.

And there was this little quote from 2014:

As much as I think Gossage is a total wanker, he has put up with a lot of crap for the IRL over a long period of time.

Fontana was just fine as a season ender, they just hosed it up by giving it no actual date equity. It should be the finale and should be as late in the year as possible.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

No doubt. For the first 7-ish years of the IRL's existence they ran TMS twice a year. Maybe if the series brought in bigger crowds or sponsor money, Eddie might be amicable to "allowing" the series to look into COTA, but he seems to be the kind of guy that would throw a fit at the idea of losing any potential race fan to any other series or track in the state.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IOwnCalculus posted:

It should be the finale and should be as late in the year as possible.

One thing I 100% agree with Robin Miller on is that the finale should absolutely be on an oval.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You also have to remember he was one of the people who benefited from the Ferko lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

As much as I think Gossage is a total wanker, he has put up with a lot of crap for the IRL over a long period of time.

Fontana was just fine as a season ender, they just hosed it up by giving it no actual date equity. It should be the finale and should be as late in the year as possible.

1997- September 28
1998- November 1
1999- October 31
2000- October 30
2001- November 4
2002- November 3
2003- (IRL) September 21
2003- November 9 (cancelled)
2004- October 3
2005- October 16

Halloween week seems to be the best weekend in spite of Mark Miles fear of the NFL.

• Locked thread