Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Switch purchased justified, never doubted Nintendo and Shigeru~san for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It will be a library of newly released vc games that will cycle out after a while and if you want to keep playing you'll have to pay for them after that point i'd bet.

At least they heard the complaints and changed course

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

acksplode posted:

How would lowering the resolution take load off the CPU? That's all GPU. Why would it have to be 4 separate sound channels, rather than your teammates getting muxed into one channel by the server? And do you have any idea how small the bitrate needs to be for voice chat? It can be worse than the shittiest mp3 anyone ever downloaded on Napster and that'd be fine. And why in the hell would shuffling voice chat bytes from the internet to your ears have any impact on visual quality?
If you're looking at the fillrate only, then yeah it's mostly GPU, but lowering the internal resolution lets you get away with lots of CPU savings as well. For example, you can use more aggressive LODs for both visuals and animation/skeleton data, cutting out entities a lot earlier in the draw distance or skipping animating them entirely. You can also get away with lowering the sampling of the layer used to not only to drive the data of the shader that puts the paint everywhere but is also used for scoring -- almost assuredly CPU driven because it would be an incredible mess to get that information back from a GPU buffer. There's plenty of little things left and right that you can get away with on the CPU side for dropping the resolution. Lol if you think that Nintendo is going to be doing sound muxing on their servers when they can just send people the sound signal of the other players for free. It has a price in performance that they don't have to pay to make servers crunch the data. Shuffling voice chat bytes from the internet from your eyes could have impact on visual quality because it's the same portable hardware doing everything. The game needs to be built with the price of running that stuff already taken for granted. If they're already juuuust hitting their target fps, it'll affect the game in one way or another. I'll grant you that 4-people voice chat isn't usually going to spell the death of a CPU, but small CPU burdens every frame add up ridiculously quickly and it's looking like the hardware is getting really taxed already as-is.

Notice that I'm talking specifically only in the case of Splatoon 2 and there's no reason other than development time why they couldn't support that stuff in other contexts where the burden would be designed into the experience.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 2, 2017

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
the library is gonna be 10 nes games isnt it...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HyperPuma posted:

the library is gonna be 10 nes games isnt it...

I'd bet less cause they need to slap leaderboards and stuff in each rom and thats effort.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

spit on my clit posted:

Wow, Kotaku did a good thing for once!

They're a news site; they reported a newsworthy item.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

acksplode posted:

If Nintendo turns VC into a Netflix-style buffet, that'd be shockingly smart. Probably their smartest online decision yet, behind creating VC in the first place.

It's literally the one thing I've wanted since VC began honestly.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Facetious posted:

They're a news site; they reported a newsworthy item.

And that's why I'm so surprised

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

so... no super mario world till maybe 2018?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/870458277724860421
I'm all on board for this poo poo now. $20 sounds like a great deal.

Hype is real.

What constitutes a 'classic' game tho? Just NES? SNES? :nyoron:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

This seems odd. Does that mean that in order to play them it'll require an active internet connection? And if not, can you pay for a month and then keep the games available for as long as you've got airplane mode turned on?

PSN's online service just hands you a free game every month with no strings attached, doesn't it?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This seems odd. Does that mean that in order to play them it'll require an active internet connection? And if not, can you pay for a month and then keep the games available for as long as you've got airplane mode turned on?

PSN's online service just hands you a free game every month with no strings attached, doesn't it?

PSN's service will be pretty much exactly the same as nintendo's.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

PS Plus gives you (on the ps4) two games a month. You might get some good games like Rocket League or Furi, or you might get Gone Home, a game that's been out since 2012 and has been so overexposed that anyone that wanted to experience the story in it probably already has, either through already having played it or seeing other people play it. What I'm saying is, it's a real gamble if you'll get something you like or something that has very little value being in a $60-a-year service.

Also these games get locked (not removed) if your subscription runs out, just renew it and you're good to go.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

When's rocket league

Soon

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
These changes sound really cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Infinitum posted:

Hype is real.

It's being at least 25 years old in the automobile world, so anything before 1992.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
ive had access to every classic game on every system to exist up to the ps2 on my cellphone for free, for years now. who cares about ancient nes titles? im glad im not going to get gouged for internet access as badly as sony and microsoft do though

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo... doing something good regarding online? What the gently caress

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

ive had access to every classic game on every system to exist up to the ps2 on my cellphone for free, for years now. who cares about ancient nes titles? im glad im not going to get gouged for internet access as badly as sony and microsoft do though

Not everyone steals.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

PS Plus gives you (on the ps4) two games a month. You might get some good games like Rocket League or Furi, or you might get Gone Home, a game that's been out since 2012 and has been so overexposed that anyone that wanted to experience the story in it probably already has, either through already having played it or seeing other people play it. What I'm saying is, it's a real gamble if you'll get something you like or something that has very little value being in a $60-a-year service.

Also these games get locked (not removed) if your subscription runs out, just renew it and you're good to go.

plus you can't buy those games normally once PSN runs out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

SeANMcBAY posted:

Cue Reggie in an interview leading up to E3 actually not talking out of his rear end for once when he says "we're always listening to our fans"

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Not everyone steals.

au contrair, friend. property is theft and there is no such thing as ethical consumption

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

Hype is real.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/870465409526484992
Just NES at first. SNES "under consideration".

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Oh gently caress if they straight up copy the PS plus model of giving you a handful of games each month with unlimited access as long as your subscription is current this could be legit rad as hell.

After the garbage replacement for club Nintendo I just assumed they'd be stingy as hell but that would be a great surprise. They're sitting in by far the best backlog in games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zelder posted:

Nintendo... doing something good regarding online? What the gently caress

Each game has their own individual friend code

Less good. NES+SNES would be perfect

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If Nintendo limited the subscription games to just a small set, that'd be stupid and self-defeating...so now I'm kind of expecting it. Just put it all up there Nintendo. No one will have any reason to complain about losing the VC games they bought on other systems ever again. Do it bitch.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

why not

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hurry up and take my drat money, Nintendo

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

because it still registers in your library as purchased.

But no, PS Plus is actually pretty flawed.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

acksplode posted:

If Nintendo limited the subscription games to just a small set, that'd be stupid and self-defeating...so now I'm kind of expecting it. Just put it all up there Nintendo. No one will have any reason to complain about losing the VC games they bought on other systems ever again. Do it bitch.

but how will nintendo continuously fuel lust for decades old shovelware if they dont keep their fans on the edge of anticipating THE NEXT HUGE VC RELEASE

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys, Doctor Mario is a GOOD game and I can't wait to play it on my Nintendo Switch.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

au contrair, friend. property is theft and there is no such thing as ethical consumption

nah

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

For $20 a year that's more than adequate

For continual access to a large NES/SNES/N64 catalog? I'd gladly pay $100 a year

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guys, Doctor Mario is a GOOD game and I can't wait to play it on my Nintendo Switch.

I haven't been able to play competitive Dr Mario in over a decade and I am so ready it's absurd

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

no super mario world no sale

nintendo bricks the slam dunk once again

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why? Why?! actually that doesn't seem too bad, i guess.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SeANMcBAY posted:

:stare:

Oh wow. A Netflix for classic Nintendo games?

Congrats on making $TEXAS Nintendo.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Not a Children posted:

For $20 a year that's more than adequate

For continual access to a large NES/SNES/N64 catalog? I'd gladly pay $100 a year

:same: but like $20/month

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

enojy posted:

Some scary stuff that'll start happening once you beat It Lives! enough times and unlock some new floors:

Devil doors are still Devil deal rooms, crucifix doors are still Angel deal rooms.

Trap door is Sheol, beam of light is Cathedral.

If Mom is dropping a white picture and a black picture, the white one is The Polaroid and it unlocks a bonus floor/boss after Cathedral. The black picture is The Negative and does the same for Sheol. The only way to do a Victory Lap is to take The Negative and beat the boss at the end of the bonus room after Sheol. In the case of Curse of The Blind, The Polaroid and The Negative are always on the left and the right, respectively.

A pulsating hole in the floor after beating any boss following Mom takes you to The Void, a gigantic floor with multiple boss rooms; one of which is Delirium (the floor's real end boss.) Should only be tried with a really powerful build, as this whole fight is a total mess and I won't spoil it for you (partially because I've fought him dozens of times and still have no real idea what's going on.) There's a small chance this hole can show up after any boss following Mom, with the % chance increasing as you go deeper. Delirium is a dead end and you can't continue past that floor in a run. Each room is randomly generated and can be sourced from any floor, including Cathedral or Sheol.

A large cracked hole in the wall where a Devil/Angel deal room would normally be is a portal to Blue Womb, which is solely a boss floor, Hush. Only shows up if you beat It Lives! within 30 minutes. This is a large bullet hell boss who you should probably only try with a powerful build, but not really as bad as Delirium. You're typically given the option to continue to Cathedral or Sheol afterwards, or if you take the exit to the north, The Void (only guaranteed method AFAIK.) Hush is safe to fight if you're interested in proceeding towards a Victory Lap.

That same cracked hole in the wall will show up after Mom if you beat her in under 20 minutes, which is the Boss Rush room. Random bosses will spawn 2 at a time, totaling probably 20-24 bosses. You're given a choice of one of four random items in the beginning, taking one nikes the others and starts the boss rush. Completing it gives one one more random item, and you can leave the room and proceed as normal after that.

Finally, the giant golden key door you see in the floors following Sheol and Cathedral is the door to the Mega Satan fight. You can only open this door in two ways; the first is by assembling a key during a run by collecting the two halves dropped by bombing and fighting angels in Angel deal rooms. (Alternatively, you can spawn an Angel and get a key half in any sacrifice room by walking over the spikes something like 6-8 times, but this does a whole heart of damage each time so do so at your own risk.) Assembling this key for the first time in a run unlocks the item Dad's Key, a usable recharge item which unlocks any door/secret room in a room, including the Mega Satan door. Mega Satan is a run-ending fight as you cannot leave the room afterwards unless you have something like Telepills or The Fool tarot card, or a % chance a portal will open in the floor to The Void.

These are all "lol I broke the game" end bosses, so if you're just melting rooms the second you walk into them, you're probably safe to try any of them of your choosing. Difficulty IMO goes ??? < The Lamb < Boss Rush < Mega Satan < Hush <<< Delirium.

:stare:

Thanks for this...god drat this game just keeps going and going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

spit on my clit posted:

Why? Why?! actually that doesn't seem too bad, i guess.

I think it's pretty lovely to be honest. Sony has known about this for years and refuses to fix it, mostly because it encourages you to keep buying into the PSN ecosystem.

• Locked thread