Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
This looks inexpensive enough for a quick laugh -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greyauthor/the-happiest-apocalypse-on-earth-roleplaying-game

Cthulhu meets Disneyland, PbtA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Crackbone posted:

Nope. Highly mediocre to slightly bad, but gets everybody excited because ZOMBIESL@JEJFJHDSV:N:SDF.

"Highly mediocre to slighty bad" describes most of CMoN's catalog honestly.

Yeah but did you see how many minis they came with? Phwoar!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

More like :cmon:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Software engineer will replaced by mini sculptor as the hot new job.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Ropes4u posted:

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

they are dice rollers with tons of minis and no playtesting

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread seems to have missed the Kickstarer for a new Thunderstone... Thunderstone Quest, back in March. However, the pledge manager is still open, so you can still buy it at KS prices if you want.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alderac/thunderstone-quest-from-aeg/

e. there's only two pledge levels, $60 and $100, and only two add-ons besides those two levels: you can get some card sleeves, and you can add on a box or organizer or something that is supposedly helpful when you're playing the hard-mode version of the game but want to keep other cards organized for the regular quest mode.

My group and I have really enjoyed Thunderstone Advance and this seems to be another iteration on those base rules with some refinements, plus a "quest" mechanic that is basically premade cardpacks for more focused adventures. The $60 pledge comes with one, the $100 pledge comes with three.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 31, 2017

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Thoughts on the Lords of Hellas kickstarter draft? Kickstarter starts June 6th.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/1267501505?token=52a9df4e

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

They're fine. Straightforward scrounge-and-murder coop with a few interesting mechanical wrinkles. But they're like $45 worth of lightweight game in a $100+ package, mostly because there are a lot of minis. Also I don't know why you would get the fantasy version when there are a million fantasy coops and most have more interesting settings and ideas than just zombies. Part of the appeal of the original (at least to me) is that it's one of the few coops that's set in something akin to the modern day. So would I recommend getting in on this one? Nope.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

This thread seems to have missed the Kickstarer for a new Thunderstone...

That's because Thunderstone was poo poo iirc. I'm not sure if "Quest" changes things, but I distinctly remember yawning throughout the Thunderstone experience. At least Ascension has an app.

Rhaegar posted:

The first thing I see advertised is a Kickstarter exclusive that would cost an extra 5 gbp to anyone who doesn't get in on Day 1, and that is enough for me to disregard the rest of the project. But scrolling down I also see some nice cleavage on Athena, who was definitely not known for being a virgin or anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

That's because Thunderstone was poo poo iirc. I'm not sure if "Quest" changes things, but I distinctly remember yawning throughout the Thunderstone experience. At least Ascension has an app.

I only played Thunderstone Advanced, which was a very good game with poorly-written rules that my fairly experienced game group kept requesting. :shrug:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A look into the past and future:

The deluxe editions of Blades in the Dark have started arriving to people, so if you're expecting that keep an eye out.

Fragged Empire will be having another KS for Fragged Aeternum (the dark fantasy/Bloodborne-esque version of FE) and maybe other things? kicking off in June.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 1, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Oh, they changed the name? Last I heard it was going to be Fragged Kingdom.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I think Kingdom is their epic fantasy setting, Aeternum is their gothic fantasy/Bloodborne-esque one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that was my mistake. Aeternum is the Bloodborne one, Kingdom is the fantasy one.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Leperflesh posted:

I only played Thunderstone Advanced, which was a very good game with poorly-written rules that my fairly experienced game group kept requesting. :shrug:

Sorry, but the Goon Hivemind has decided that the Valley of the Kings is the only good market-row deckbuilding game. :bahgawd:

Is Roll Player any good. There's a new expansion for it out on Kickstarter.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the original Thunderstone a great deal but had to leave my copy in the UK well over five years ago. I had no idea they were bringing it back, thanks for the heads up! Not sure its worth the shipping cost for me now though, unfortunately.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The first, and last, time I played Thunderstone was one of the most miserable slogs of a gaming experience I've ever had in my life, turn after turn of "well I can't actually do anything against these monsters because I didn't draw the right cards to actually make things happen, so I'll waste a turn trying to prep my draw for the next turn, oh I didn't get anything good again either," and it was using an official setup and everything, not just some random grab whatever, so I can't even blame the game's owner for inadvertently messing things up as sometimes happens. My impression is that it leaned way too hard on requiring you to put together combos ala Magic: the Gathering to get stuff done but that trying to do so in a game where you cycle your hand every turn made it feel extremely arbitrary whether you accomplished anything from turn to turn and it was easy to fall into a cycle of never having the right tools on hand to break out of the hole. We never even got to the final boss after some 90+ minutes of increasing boredom and we just let the one guy who was able to kill monsters semi-regularly have the win so we could move on to something else.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ghosts of Gaia II is up and already 170% funded.

Some of the rewards are the minis from the previous campaign, such as the (thankfully non-anthropomorphic) gun-toting guina pigs and even the mighty CapyCannon.

I think it's also a goon project?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

The first thing I see advertised is a Kickstarter exclusive that would cost an extra 5 gbp to anyone who doesn't get in on Day 1, and that is enough for me to disregard the rest of the project. But scrolling down I also see some nice cleavage on Athena, who was definitely not known for being a virgin or anything.

"Large breasted women can't possibly be virgins" - The Collected Hot Takes of GrandpaPants, 2017

I'm definitely not backing that Kickstarter for several reasons, though.

1) It's Blood Rage in a chiton.

2) It's £82 for Blood Rage in a chiton.

3) They're pushing a £120 deluxe edition, but five days from launch they still haven't remembered to add a pledge level for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
This looks pretty cool and it's priced reasonably.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1998318065/escape-the-dark-castle?ref=nav_search

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jedit posted:

"Large breasted women can't possibly be virgins" - The Collected Hot Takes of GrandpaPants, 2017

Yeah, that's definitely what I meant. It's totally not a comment on the painfully male gazey representation.

gently caress off, you miserable poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, that's definitely what I meant. It's totally not a comment on the painfully male gazey representation.

gently caress off, you miserable poo poo.

You want to complain about boobplate number 2097 then go right ahead, I won't disagree. But when you say "boobplate? I thought she was a virgin!" you are tacitly implying that a woman who dresses provocatively must be a slut. If that's not the impression that you meant to give, then you should more carefully consider your words in future.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Rhaegar posted:

The box art is rockin but I'm really sick of titty models

One of the stretch goals is a digital soundtrack, which you can also buy on cassette ( ! )

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/871405126/turing-tumble-gaming-on-a-mechanical-computer
A puzzle game with a marble run. You set up a vertical board with mechanical logic widgets and watch marbles go down. An included book has puzzle setups. The marbles move the logic widgets which change the path the next marble takes on the way down. At the bottom, the marble goes through one of two gates, which release a blue or red marble. The objective is to release marbles in a certain order

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jedit posted:

You want to complain about boobplate number 2097 then go right ahead, I won't disagree. But when you say "boobplate? I thought she was a virgin!" you are tacitly implying that a woman who dresses provocatively must be a slut. If that's not the impression that you meant to give, then you should more carefully consider your words in future.

I'm a card-carrying skeleton warrior and I don't have enough loving :rolleyes: for this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zurui posted:

I'm a card-carrying skeleton warrior and I don't have enough loving :rolleyes: for this.

Skeleton Warriors With Boobs would be a successful kickstarter project.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

He was literally referring to Athena's qualities in mythology to explain why the changes were stupid. You're the one being an idiot.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

The first, and last, time I played Thunderstone

In t-stone advanced, if you didn't have a good combo for going to the dungeon, you probably had a good combo for going to the town to buy cards. I never played the original t-stone but it seems like maybe t-stone advanced was an improvement on the mechanics? And Quest is another iteration.

I've probably played t-stone advanced about 15 times now, and I've never had a game where I felt like a significant number of my turns were wasted. Occasionally if I built a weak deck and we had a full row of very nasty monsters in the dungeon I'd have to do a lot more prep, but deckbuilding is part of the challenge. Perhaps in Advanced you have more agency with your deckbuilding, I dunno. Like I said I never played the original game.

e. Also the rules are poorly written enough that probably it'd be really easy to play without realizing an important rule exists. For example the first time we played we didn't realize that just because the Whetmage Honer lets you level up another character while in the dungeon, doesn't mean you don't have to pay the XP cost, so the Honers seemed stupidly overpowered.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 1, 2017

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Remember the The GM’s Real-World Reference book from like, several years ago? They are making a sequel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1395430458/archive-historical-people-places-and-events-for-rp?ref=user_menu

It's like a curated list of neat historical stuff that you can rip off for games, which is my jam anyway.

I liked the The GM’s Real-World Reference so I'm willing to drop :10bux: on the pdf. They seem to be stuck at ~80% of their modest $6k goal with 4 days left and I'd hate to see them miss it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Skeletitty

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uhh, hello? It's called a breastbone

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Remember the The GM’s Real-World Reference book from like, several years ago? They are making a sequel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1395430458/archive-historical-people-places-and-events-for-rp?ref=user_menu

It's like a curated list of neat historical stuff that you can rip off for games, which is my jam anyway.

I liked the The GM’s Real-World Reference so I'm willing to drop :10bux: on the pdf. They seem to be stuck at ~80% of their modest $6k goal with 4 days left and I'd hate to see them miss it.

I really enjoyed the GM's Real-World Reference and I wasn't going to back this one, but I'd hate to see it not fund. What the hell, I'll spend a couple of lattes on a PDF.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Peas and Rice posted:

I really enjoyed the GM's Real-World Reference and I wasn't going to back this one, but I'd hate to see it not fund. What the hell, I'll spend a couple of lattes on a PDF.

That's pretty much how I feel about it; feels a bit nostalgic to back something just 'cause it'd be nice to see it made. I'm so used to the big-name-product-funds-tens-of-thousands-in-minutes model that seems so common nowadays.

edit: I just looked back on it, and the GM's Real-World Reference was funded on in late 2012. One of the first darn things that I'd backed.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 1, 2017

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Arivia posted:

He was literally referring to Athena's qualities in mythology to explain why the changes were stupid. You're the one being an idiot.

To go on a bit of a tangent, outside of its historical social context, Athena's virginity isn't a critical element of her character. These days we have lots of other ways to communicate that a character is an independent woman.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Dropped :10bux: too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arivia posted:

GrandpaPants posted:

But scrolling down I also see some nice cleavage on Athena, who was definitely not known for being a virgin or anything.

Definitely comes across as "Exposed cleavage? But she's supposed to be a virgin" to me. That might not have been how he meant it but that's how it comes across.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Regardless of which way you fall on the virtues of virginity, that Athena model is hyper-sexualized in exactly the same gross way that 80% of these mini games treat their female characters. It's totally unnecessary and a big black mark against the game for buyers who don't need every female character chained to male sexuality.

E: How is Roll Player? From watching a play-through, the mechanics looks sound and the dice drafting looks like a nice balancing mechanic. It also looks like it should be sufficiently strategic, given the multitude of ways to score and modify your dice. Does that hold up over multiple plays?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 2, 2017

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Anyone backing Western? It looks good, but combat may take forever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Anyone backing Western? It looks good, but combat may take forever.

Is this just Aces & Eights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

dwarf74 posted:

This looks inexpensive enough for a quick laugh -

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/greyauthor/the-happiest-apocalypse-on-earth-roleplaying-game

Cthulhu meets Disneyland, PbtA

I always love when games have ludicrously expensive backing tiers because it's always dumb.

For 10,000 I can, among other things, get a two night immersive experience at Disney Land for up to 4.