Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Proud Christian Mom posted:

fyi auto racing thread because immeasurable better if you ignore Fuzzy, Viking and Peanut(if you read the NASCAR thread)

You wanna fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

You wanna fight?

Seriously, Fuzzy is a perfectly good poster.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's not a single poster in any of the racing threads I think we would be better without.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Norns posted:

There's not a single poster in any of the racing threads I think we would be better without.

naw.

you got guys like KingShibby out there who I've met in real life who's a real cool dude.

You got guys like BHester, Mearn from SASCAR who are awesome dudes to chat with on twitter. Things are cool. Even Worst Thread has some cool people that cross over here sometimes.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

you got guys like KingShibby out there who I've met in real life who's a real cool dude.
Totally not an axe murderer.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Congrats on the 50 posts about nothing. I thought someone died.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love to post.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I love to post.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Have a throwback to 2012, when Hinch, Daly, Saveedra, and other person I don't recognize took an RV road trip to Iowa. Hilarity ensued.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4L-55zTRGI

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

They should look into a race at Gingerman, given it's entirely on the opposite side of the state

Gingerman is only about an hour away from me, but that track would require a great many upgrades before it could handle the Indy cars. I think USF2000 and maybe Pro Mazda would be good for Gingerman but little else. I'm actually looking at converting my old Accord into a Chump Car to race there.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Bentai posted:

Totally not an axe murderer.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Holy poo poo I just got around to watching the banquet and listening to the latest Mayor on Air. Kanan is loving ruthless and I love him dearly

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
1st Practice of the day is green

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Note that there is no knockout qualifying for both races this weekend. Both qualifying events will feature 2 groups, each with 12min of green flag time with the field set based on those groups.

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 2, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

That sucks. Do they not have enough track time to do regular qualifying?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

gret posted:

That sucks. Do they not have enough track time to do regular qualifying?

That would appear to be the case. In addition to the Indy cars, IMSA WeatherTech series (P/PC/GTD), Trans-Am, and Super Trucks are racing this weekend.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least Dixon had the courtesy to wait till less than 5 minutes left in practice to spin

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

VikingSkull posted:

like, is it like KITT

does it have an english accent

https://twitter.com/Manta_Foxtail

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

dentist toy box posted:

Congrats on the 50 posts about nothing. I thought someone died.

don't worry, the catch fence is getting hungry again

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

rear end struggle posted:

don't worry, the catch fence is getting hungry again

edgy

iospace posted:

At least Dixon had the courtesy to wait till less than 5 minutes left in practice to spin

looks like the bump got the car light and spun the tires a bit. car def looks better with the little added yellow, though.

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/870657836602114049

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

idk, this is the thread where people want more ovals.

indycars should race at Milwaukee, Indy, and maybe Pocono or Loudon. The rest should be road and street.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
this is the thread where I want more ovals and people call me an idiot, hth

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

VikingSkull posted:

More ovals, but bring back Fontana instead of Phoneix

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

They did that already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spaced God posted:

More ovals, but bring back Fontana instead of Phoneix

Save Phoenix by unfucking the aero setup.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

More downforce?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dentist toy box posted:

More downforce?

more tray downforce less topside downforce, which is the plan next year. hopefully someone/anyone shows up after the bad shows the first few years.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

more tray downforce less topside downforce, which is the plan next year. hopefully someone/anyone shows up after the bad shows the first few years.

I know for a fact that the new aero will unfuck Phoenix, and I will be back there for the race next year (and probably Spring Training as well).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

I know for a fact that the new aero will unfuck Phoenix, and I will be back there for the race next year (and probably Spring Training as well).

So, apart from the obvious (front/rear wings), how exactly will the two aero kits differ in ways we can't see, if you know anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Horsepower solves everything.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

So, apart from the obvious (front/rear wings), how exactly will the two aero kits differ in ways we can't see, if you know anyway.

The underside downforce will be greatly increased, with undertray downforce being very important in reducing aero turbulence. As such cornering speeds will increase, but with less aero wash cars can maneuver in traffic better which should increase passing.

Minto Took posted:

This is true to an extent

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/870683249726570498
He might have his chance next year, if he plays his cards right.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

In addition to the tunnels, I think the better weight distribution from ditching the rear pods is really gonna help the cars mechanical grip. At a place like phoenix, that means the teams won't have to run as much front wing to get the goddamn car to turn, and can rely on the keel/tunnel more as a total % of downforce. Which means the front end won't be as prone to washing out when running close.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
More importantly does he still have his unibrow?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

From a glance at the photo, looks like it's been shaved. Or at least waxed separate.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The series has needed a Mexican driver for a long time, and it's amazing how far they've fallen from the CCWS days.

03 you had Mario Domínguez, Michel Jourdain Jr. and Adrian Fernandez winning races. You had events at Mexico City and Funidora Park. Not to mention two Mexican owned teams. I really wish there was some sort of program that Indy/MRTI could invest in to ensure that we could get more North American talent in the series somehow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unfortunately they all seem to be going to F1 these days. Maybe we can get Perez if he doesn't get a ride but he seems to have been performing better lately.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VikingSkull posted:

I want more ovals, but I don't want them dominating the schedule. Definitely Michigan and Fontana, maybe Chicago, Kentucky, and Homestead (yeah, the crapwagons sucked there, but the DW12s may be more fun).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Today is apparently national donut day :patriot: so in honor of such an occasion, have some donuts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBxray3pFYs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rWfRgJORXA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biolc6FLVws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mJdV3UCz3Q&t=5790s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q8VlsbM0mY&t=71s

*edit*

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I want more ovals, but I don't want them dominating the schedule. Definitely Michigan and Fontana, maybe Chicago, Kentucky, and Homestead (yeah, the crapwagons sucked there, but the DW12s may be more fun).

While trolling past season threads, I came across a 2012 post by alakath outlining a pretty great idea for a schedule:

quote:

Oh look, it's alakath's Ideal Schedule for IndyCar.

Street Courses:
Long Beach
Baltimore
Toronto
Edmonton
Cleveland

Road Courses:
Laguna Seca
Mid-Ohio
Elkhart Lake
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Watkins Glen

Long Tracks:
Indy
Chicagoland
California Speedway
Michigan
Homestead-Miami

Short Tracks:
Loudon
Milwaukee Mile
Iowa
Phoenix International Raceway
Richmond

That's a 20 race season, with a 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 split. I wish I could have shoehorned in Belle Isle, but I like the other races better and Michigan gets Michigan, at least.

Also, I tried to stick to courses which IndyCar and CART/ChampCar have run at in the past. Otherwise Indianapolis Raceway Park would have made the short track list.

With a bit of a modification for the realities of 2017/2018, this would still be a great season.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 2, 2017

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Minto Took posted:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sato's article in Players Tribune is really good and worth reading:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/takuma-sato-indy-500-win-2017/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I still would like an attempt to "save" Milwaukee despite everyone else saying it's dead. It's bullshit AA Marketing, not putting it as the race after Indy and not having Trucks/XFS race there on another weekend killed that drat track.

Hindsight is 20/20 but man, they really could have done more to save that weekend. (Run the full MRTI ladder, have USAC run there, etc)

Phoenix, Texas, Pocono are good venues that need to be kept on the schedule from a historical standpoint. I think that you can add MIS, and Fontana to that list of tracks with historical significance to the sport (I'm counting Ontario in regards to Fontana's history because of distance, and such).

• Locked thread