Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Timby posted:

Didn't a bunch of the people in Movie 43 have no idea what the hell they were getting into, then respond with horror when the actual movie came out?
I believe a lot of them signed on before finding out what it was. George Clooney broke his contract when he actually read the script. I guess the rest of them didn't think the possible legal trouble was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

Didn't a bunch of the people in Movie 43 have no idea what the hell they were getting into, then respond with horror when the actual movie came out?

Was that the one were Hugh Jackman has huge testicles on his chin? I wish I could have been there when he found out about that aspect of his character. You know, as astral projection and not as a real person. The guy who blackmailed Jackman into doing the movie probably would have shot me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe a lot of them signed on before finding out what it was. George Clooney broke his contract when he actually read the script. I guess the rest of them didn't think the possible legal trouble was worth it.

Wtf they had to sign a contract before even seeing a script?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My memory of Movie 43's creation was that it was a bunch of stars contractually owing a film to the studio. The producer or whoever leveraged that against them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gatts posted:

So I've read some of the outrage on twitter

It amazes me people do this.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I believe so many stars did Movie 43 because it was all short lovely vignettes, it took less than a day for any of them to do their role so it was a super easy job.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Twitter is one of the worst things to come out of the Internet. Let that sink in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Twitter gave us Covfefe

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

Twitter gave us Covfefe

And is currently in full :regd08: mode, as it does with all once-funny things

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reading jokes on Twitter =! reading outrage on Twitter.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"I'm sorry for the offense that was beyond my creative control" is a bad non-apology

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

"I'm sorry for the offense that was beyond my creative control" is a bad non-apology

on the other hand, if she literally had nothing to do with what happened, should she be taking responsibility for it? like that's basically what she's saying

a better characterization of her statements would be "I had no idea this was going on and I am attempting to stop it, yell at those assholes not me"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

on the other hand, if she literally had nothing to do with what happened, should she be taking responsibility for it? like that's basically what she's saying

a better characterization of her statements would be "I had no idea this was going on and I am attempting to stop it, yell at those assholes not me"

Doesn't she know that's not how it works? She's in the movie so it's clearly her fault duh

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Right, I don't think she should have apologized at all. That'd have been better than whatever she said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
loving how

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Either you're sorry or you're not. I don't know how you think it's any good to say "I'm sorry for this thing that I didn't do." It's loving embarrassing is what it is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A goon who doesn't understand empathy, shocking.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"I'm sorry this happened" isn't a completely inhuman thing to state.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

"I'm sorry this happened" isn't a completely inhuman thing to state.
This would have been okay. "I'm sorry this happened and it's not my fault" isn't quite the same thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In this world where people like to put a face to the faceless, it's not completely out of the realm to be like "yo I didn't do this, but I feel bad that it happened."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also people want people to know they weren't directly involved but still feel bad it happened.

Shocking I know.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tars Tarkas posted:

Whatever the crap Red Shoes and the 7 Dwarfs is (a cartoon), it decided that a body shaming ad campaign was acceptable, at lease until star Chloe Grace Moretz got mad and suddenly the ad campaign is yanked. Is the ad campaign successful in that I've never heard of the movie before and now have? Or is it a failure because there is no way I'd go see it regardless?

https://twitter.com/kylebuchanan/status/867865881929502722

https://twitter.com/ChloeGMoretz/status/869972500116983808

http://www.salon.com/2017/05/31/red-shoes-and-the-7-dwarfs-chloe-grace-moretz-poster-cannes/

Also lol at this trailer - https://vimeo.com/157984351

And the link is already dead. I assume it was this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8MU2NhEvow

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

In this world where people like to put a face to the faceless, it's not completely out of the realm to be like "yo I didn't do this, but I feel bad that it happened."

We also live in a world where people attack actors because they were a villain in a TV show or movie so it's not like there wont be idiots who think Moretz is directly responsible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who hates Hit Girl?

Besides Red Mist/Motherfucker?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So it's a fat joke movie that somehow managed to get a star + animation budget? What a world.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

got any sevens posted:

Wtf they had to sign a contract before even seeing a script?

this is standard for pretty much all movies ever

the stars sign off on a treatment but the script is a work in progress until the film is shipped to the theaters

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

porfiria posted:

Twitter is one of the worst things to come out of the Internet. Let that sink in.

Vertical or square videos without sound are actually the worst thing to come out of the Internet that's not something that means jailtime.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

poorly shot amateur video goes back before the internet and yet still isn't half the sin of twitter's mere exisence. Nested comments ranked by popularity are, too, worse a crime.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd like to think that Anime is one of the top reasons why intelligent alien life refuses to make first contact with humanity.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

basic hitler posted:

poorly shot amateur video goes back before the internet and yet still isn't half the sin of twitter's mere exisence. Nested comments ranked by popularity are, too, worse a crime.

No, I'm talking about videos made for sharing in social media and consumption on smartphones. Professionally made stuff by big companies. The "future" of video content apparently.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 2, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

We also live in a world where people attack actors because they were a villain in a TV show or movie so it's not like there wont be idiots who think Moretz is directly responsible.

I've always heard that people on the street would yell at Billy Dee Williams for betraying Han Solo after The Empire Strikes Back came out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Iron Crowned posted:

I've always heard that people on the street would yell at Billy Dee Williams for betraying Han Solo after The Empire Strikes Back came out.

I saw an interview with Charles Napier where he said he got people approaching him being super pissed that he was mean to Rambo for like a decade straight and he eventually had prepared statement he'd give explaining how actors are people that act a certain way in a fictional thing/etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Decius posted:

No, I'm talking about videos made for sharing in social media and consumption on smartphones. Professionally made stuff by big companies. The "future" of video content apparently.

People wont turn their phones so this is the future, sorry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I was thinking about King Sadist from Game of Thrones, who apparently is a really friendly guy in real life but was constantly antagonized on the streets on account of being King Sadist on Game of Thrones.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw an interview with Charles Napier where he said he got people approaching him being super pissed that he was mean to Rambo for like a decade straight and he eventually had prepared statement he'd give explaining how actors are people that act a certain way in a fictional thing/etc.

What a Duketastrophy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

I was thinking about King Sadist from Game of Thrones, who apparently is a really friendly guy in real life but was constantly antagonized on the streets on account of being King Sadist on Game of Thrones.

Goddamn, I wonder if the coast guard is still getting calls to rescue the crew of the SS Minnow

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grendels Dad posted:

Biff frombttf is also real nice irl

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I recall reading somewhere that Eun-shim Lee never acted again after Hanyo because she was so vilified for her role as evil housemaid that no studio wanted to hire her for future projects.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 2, 2017

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Eun-shim Lee never acted again after Hanyo because she was so vilified for her role as evil housemaid that no studio wanted to hire her for future projects.
That's insane to me since I think she gave more of a shades of grey performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite anecdote along these lines, but of a more humorous nature, is one that Harold Ramis told: One day, William Atherton was walking down the sidewalk in New York or Los Angeles, I forget which, and a bus full of people pulls up alongside him. He looks over and everyone shouts, "YO, DICKLESS! :haw:"

• Locked thread