Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just kinda hate all space marine vehicles on a thematic level

I think it's dumb that drive tanks and fly planes and poo poo :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm pretty sure it is a hovering thing with lots of shock absorbers for when it does land, but I really want it to millipede along on the little feet.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

some games that have official free rules pdfs available online:

all quiet on the martian front
dust tactics
guild ball
infinity
malifaux
mercs
rune wars
relic knights
sails of glory
spartan games (halo, firestorm, dystopian)
star trek attack wing
star wars armada/xwing
warmachine/hordes
warzone resurrection
wrath of kings
The problem with your comparison is that (with the exception of FFG) all of these games are tiny compared to 40K and putting their rules out for free is one of the few ways they can stir up interest in their game in the hopes you purchase something from their product line. Whether you like it or not, GW does control the miniatures game market and they can afford to charge players to play. I would 100% love to see GW's rules come out for free, but why would they offer a loss leader if they have no real competition?

You either pay or you don't. Your outrage at not having free rules is not going to cut into their bottom line.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I feel kinda spoiled by Dark Age where the books are just for collectors and people who like fluff.
Infinity is the same way. And in that case, the company has also created a kick-rear end army builder that's available either online or as an app. Given that Infinity can get a little complicated, the fact that it links directly to the Wiki (which is also very well-maintained) is pretty loving sweet. "Hmmm, Neurocinetics. What does that do again? >click< Oh, OK, that's cool."

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
How anyone can defend a buissiness is beyond me. They don't care if you critique them but they also don't care if you defend them. An GW especially doesn't deserve it when they try to trademark or copyright basic words like rifle to rifile, glaive to klaive or the words loving space marine. Please don't waste energy defending them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm pretty sure "Rifile" was a typo

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

berzerkmonkey posted:

The problem with your comparison is that (with the exception of FFG) all of these games are tiny compared to 40K and putting their rules out for free is one of the few ways they can stir up interest in their game in the hopes you purchase something from their product line. Whether you like it or not, GW does control the miniatures game market and they can afford to charge players to play. I would 100% love to see GW's rules come out for free, but why would they offer a loss leader if they have no real competition?

You either pay or you don't. Your outrage at not having free rules is not going to cut into their bottom line.

They have so very much no competition that they got passed up by FFG and PP is not far away. But hey, if you want to believe there's no possible concurrence for GW...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

If it was a typo ok. I don't know if biglies got their stuff leaked if they do I'll check because it falls in line with GW lawyer mind set. Its why chaos marines are now Hereticus Astartes an holy poo poo I find that displeasing. CSM tells me much more what they are than fake latin gibberish.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Iceclaw posted:

They have so very much no competition that they got passed up by FFG and PP is not far away. But hey, if you want to believe there's no possible concurrence for GW...

Yeah like, X-wang is GW's biggest competition in the miniature wargame market right now. SW is being sold in actual big-boy retail stores like Target, Wal-Mart, B&N, etc., unlike GW which only has their own (tiny) proprietary stores and independent game stores.

You can absolutely make the case that the rest of those games are tiny in comparison, but not SW.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

You mean to say that something with the Star Wars licence is selling well? :O

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Much like Pokemon, if you can remember what that was, Star Wars is a passing fad

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I wish imperial assault was a bigger thing so that we'd see more star wars minis in painting competitions instead of space marine after space marine.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Where are they now other than making more money than GW?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah like, X-wang is GW's biggest competition in the miniature wargame market right now. SW is being sold in actual big-boy retail stores like Target, Wal-Mart, B&N, etc., unlike GW which only has their own (tiny) proprietary stores and independent game stores.

You can absolutely make the case that the rest of those games are tiny in comparison, but not SW.

I'd argue that GW is functionally on the same level now--X-Wing's rules PDF is free online, but the cards you "need" are scattered across dozens of kits that you don't want

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

It looks loving awful.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

As I said, FFG was excluded. They're also a much larger company in general, who is only dipping into the miniatures market. X-Wing has the penetration it does because of the SW license - it might be a good game (I haven't played it personally) but without the name brand recognition, it would be nowhere as large. It's also comparing apples to oranges - yes, both are miniatures games, but one is space combat and the other is tanks and soldiers duking it out on the ground. It's going to appeal to two different audiences.

And just because PP shows up on a chart as being in 4th place behind 40K and Armada, we have no clue as to how large that gap is - you could literally be talking millions of units in sales. Without numbers, there is no way to tell who is breathing down GW's neck.

For_Great_Justice posted:

How anyone can defend a buissiness is beyond me. They don't care if you critique them but they also don't care if you defend them. An GW especially doesn't deserve it when they try to trademark or copyright basic words like rifle to rifile, glaive to klaive or the words loving space marine. Please don't waste energy defending them.
Then don't waste energy critiquing them? They aren't doing anything worthy of the time to put into trashing them either. If they were driving up prices on prescription drugs, destroying the environment, or actively harming people, then yeah, berate the poo poo out of them (or any other company.) They produce a toy that they want you to pay money for.

Nobody is defending GW - they are saying that they have a perfectly legitimate business model. If you don't like it, act like a grownup and put your money elsewhere.

Irate Tree posted:

It looks loving awful.
It absolutely does.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Corrode posted:

Aside from the branding (Star Wars sells, period), X-wang is also 1) pre-painted and mostly pre-assembled, lowering the barrier of entry; 2) fairly inexpensive to start; and 3) have rules that are actually functional, with little ambiguity, and scales well from casual to tournament without injecting a bunch of house-rules to make it competitive.

GW has a recognizable brand and large presence. It doesn't sell itself on any of the points I made above. If it did, I doubt SW would be eating its lunch right now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'd argue that GW is functionally on the same level now--X-Wing's rules PDF is free online, but the cards you "need" are scattered across dozens of kits that you don't want

Yeah the cards being scattered is horseshit and FFG knows it.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Irate Tree posted:

It looks loving awful.
Speedraiderback.

The gundamesque missile boxes all over the place are the weirdest thing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bistromatic posted:

Speedraiderback.

Speedraiderbackwind

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Speedraiderbackwind
Fart R[a]ider

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Lol if you don't think people die on GW hill.

Fake edit: the don't like it don't respond is the biggest bull poo poo cry more internet argument next to calling someone a nazi.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just opened a box of the new Tyranid Warriors and they were packaged with 40mm bases in place of the correct 50mm bases. gently caress this bullshit, guess I am not going to even try 8th now!

:mad:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lol if you don't think people die on GW hill.

I'm not saying people won't defend GW, I'm saying that nobody here is.

Fake edit: the don't like it don't respond is the biggest bull poo poo cry more internet argument next to calling someone a nazi.
But going apeshit on them for responding with a view in opposition to your own is cool? You just keep on keeping on, man.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Going ape poo poo is a bit far don't you think friend? Undermining someone by going nope umad not a great way to hold conversation an discussion.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

this x 100000

It's INCREDIBLY loving weird to defend a corporation you don't personally work for

Like imagine jumping in to defend Apple removing the headphone jack; just bizarre behaviour

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Bistromatic posted:

Speedraiderback.

Flyno

Yeah, the extra five missiles stuffed over the door is the silliest thing...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Also strawmanning defense of gw to "they're not destroying the environment " come on. If bad is bad call it out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Also strawmanning defense of gw to "they're not destroying the environment " come on. If bad is bad call it out.

All I was saying is that you're putting in an awful lot of effort railing against a toy company.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

And?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There are now starter, reserve, and mega forces up on sale for the Scunt Lords Chapter. And some other other stuff

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

TheChirurgeon posted:

Even though I get what you're saying about cards being spread out, GW would only be functionally the same if the contents of all codices was available online for free and the codices themselves were just nice things which the occasional sperg will get really angry about if you play with a print-out rather than the actual physical codex.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hra Mormo posted:

Even though I get what you're saying about cards being spread out, GW would only be functionally the same if the contents of all codices was available online for free and the codices themselves were just nice things which the occasional sperg will get really angry about if you play with a print-out rather than the actual physical codex.

Does FFG upload their cards for free, or does another source? If it's the latter, than this recent string of leaks is basically that situation.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Lol the limited edition rule book comes with a dimebag of tiny skulls

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Corrode posted:

Plenty of SW properties have crashed and burned over the years. I'm sure the licence helps, but the game still has to be good.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

StuG Jeebus posted:

Plenty of SW properties have crashed and burned over the years. I'm sure the licence helps, but the game still has to be good.

Truth. I don't care nearly enough about Star Wars to play X-Wing if it weren't also a good game

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

StuG Jeebus posted:

I'm sure the game is good, but it wouldn't be competing for #1 wargame sales without the licence. The two go hand in hand.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Maybe take some Ritalin and gently caress off for a bit.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Nah I feel fine right here. Love me some base personal attacks.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe take some Ritalin and gently caress off for a bit.

Whoa wtf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Corrode posted:

I'm sure the game is good, but it wouldn't be competing for #1 wargame sales without the licence. The two go hand in hand.

Given that it's so dramatically different from the traditional tabletop minis game I think it is very hard to determine.

• Locked thread