Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KO Derf posted:

$15
Funtastic Games
1075 E South Boulder Rd, Louisville, Colorado 80027
Saturday, May 27 at 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM MDT

As for signing up, I have no idea. I just got that Saturday off work and haven't asked the guy that runs it. He also runs Destiny night at Total Escape in Broomfield, so I'll reply on Tuesday when I find out.

Didn't get a chance to do this unfortunately, had too much going on. Also didn't have a deck built this morning when I was considering whether or not to hop in the car. I'll try to do some of the store champs scheduled around town, but it sounds like most aren't until July or August.

In other news, local store looked like they still had a ton of the last shipment of SoR, like probably 10 boxes left. I grabbed 10 loose boosters while I was running errands today and opened a Krennic, another Slave 1 and a mismatched Obi-Wan die, plus another vibroknife & 2 fast hands. Decent return I guess. Gonna update my tradelist again later tonight, still trying to fill out the last of an SoR playset plus need a bunch of awakenings things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Updated tradelist, including most or all of the awakenings poo poo I'm missing.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Went 4-1 at Store Championship. 31 people and cut to top 4, but due to SoS I finished in 6th. 3 of those top 4 were Poe/Maz. I was rocking Aurra/Bala, and my only loss was to an Anakin/Kylo player. I don't know if he was the other guy in the top 4 or it was another Anakin/Kylo.
If anyone wants I can post my list since it's less traditional and quite good at taking down Poe/Maz.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sure, I'm curious what your list is. I've been rocking Aurra/DTrooper for a bit, experimenting with Aurra/Jango too but there's some other stuff from awakenings I want before I run that list for real. On a completely unrelated note, I wish any of the local stores had regular destiny play on the weekend, it's difficult for me to go to anything consistently during the week. Gonna try to go to wizards chest on Thursday I guess, but I'd like to be able to get some games in to practice and test things without feeling like I'm paying for the privilege.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

I went 3-1 yesterday at a 22 person tourney using Luke/Maz, and so far the only decks I've ever lost to are Poe/Maz. Top two at that tournament were Poe/Maz. Every time they get Fast Hands out turn 1 (since they always win their Throne Room) and always rolled well (a special or 3 damage every time). It's really aggravating.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

KO Derf posted:

Went 4-1 at Store Championship. 31 people and cut to top 4, but due to SoS I finished in 6th. 3 of those top 4 were Poe/Maz. I was rocking Aurra/Bala, and my only loss was to an Anakin/Kylo player. I don't know if he was the other guy in the top 4 or it was another Anakin/Kylo.
If anyone wants I can post my list since it's less traditional and quite good at taking down Poe/Maz.

Show us the goods, mate.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Benthalus posted:

I went 3-1 yesterday at a 22 person tourney using Luke/Maz, and so far the only decks I've ever lost to are Poe/Maz. Top two at that tournament were Poe/Maz. Every time they get Fast Hands out turn 1 (since they always win their Throne Room) and always rolled well (a special or 3 damage every time). It's really aggravating.
Poe Maz is pretty oppressive

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

Show us the goods, mate.

The deck works well in the current meta because there isn't a whole lot of removal going on. If they remove one of your dice, they are usually sacrificing a little bit of damage to do so. And if someone waits an extra turn, this deck eats them alive.
The big oddity of this deck is the inclusion of only 6 dice adding cards. SoR games go fast. Very fast. The only thing you need is one attachment with a die turn 1, because that is likely all you are going to be able to get out. (Especially with only 18 health, though likely 20 since you almost always want the opponent's battlefield). Understand that the game is over by turn 3, or your first action of turn 4 (Armed to the Teeth, Backup Muscle, Fast Hands damage).

Here's how I play it.
Opening hand: Look for a Gun and 0 cost attachment, or an On the Hunt. Keep one Fast Hands, if you get two mulligan the second. If you don't get the die attachment after the re-draw, it means you have mitigation for the turn, and your starting dice are crazy strong, just kill someone turn 2.
Win or lose on the roll, place your shields 1 on Aurra, 1 on Bala. An 8 health Bala may not get his reactivation if he gets targeted. Your opponent will want to go after Aurra, so you put your extra dice upgrades on Bala, and any 0 cost upgrades on Aurra. In that order. You really want them to go for Bala.
Every other card in your deck is now expendable. Toss everything you have each turn for Aurra's ability or rerolls. You want 5 new cards each turn. You are hoping to draw into more 0 or 1 cost upgrades and Armed to the Teeth, which leaves you resources for mitigation. If they go after Aurra, roll her in, resolve and Armed to the Teeth before she dies. Then keep discarding to look for another gun for Bala... and another Armed to the Teeth.
Be aware people almost always spend both their resources early turn 1 and have no mitigation they can afford, hit them hard before they get going.

In fact, there were two games where I killed a character on turn 1.
- Against a Rebel mill deck I killed a Padawan, then reactivated Bala and hit Maz. Turn 2 kill Maz, reactivate hit Padme. Turn 3 killed Padme with a Second Chance attached (And that was me being nice since I had Confiscation and 3 resources).
- Against a Jango/FN-2199 deck I killed Jango.

The one game I lost against Anakin/Kylo, he killed my Bala turn 1, but I had put 7 damage on Anakin and he did 2 to himself for 9. I had a Fast Hands on Aurra, but didn't roll the 50/50 on either Aurra die turn 2 to kill Anakin without taking damage in return. In fact, I pitched 4 cards that turn, only got 1 damage side and that got mitigated. Sometimes the dice are against you and there is nothing you can do. If I get that immediate Anakin kill it's Aurra vs Kylo and I win that hands down.

One more note. This deck is set up to play slow. I realized I was never going to get the battlefield vs Force Speed, Maz, and Rey decks.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
Oh right, Poe/Maz.
Plan to get hit for 7 to 8 damage on a single character turn 1. That is why you always put 1 shield on Bala. You need him alive since this deck can hit for 7 to 10 damage pretty easily while you have both characters and one extra die. If you get exactly 8 damage turn 1, kill Maz, reactivate and hit Poe. Otherwise, just put all damage into Poe turn 1 and kill him turn 2 no matter the cost. Armed to the Teeth your guns if you have to. Maz and Planetary Uprising isn't usually enough to kill a 6 health Bala before he kills her.
If they have Defensive Position and a resource turn 1, you lose. Full stop. I have never been able to come back from losing 3 or 4 damage sides turn 1.

Though now that I think about it, I might toss the All In for Friends in Low Places.

KO Derf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 29, 2017

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's sort of hard to have a mini rant about this without people getting on your case, but my biggest concern right now is definitely the dice component. Not so much the fact that they'll wear down over time, but more that we're two sets in and there are already potentially hundreds of dice people own due to the need for at least two of each for playsets/elites. I mean, I've gone to locals and people bring their huge drillbit cases which are almost full. There's no public roadmap for whether or not there's going to be a standard rotation, even if it doesn't happen for a couple of years, so what do you do now? If a proper legacy format isn't introduced, you're left holding the metaphorical/literal dice bag. Sure, you could just stick with a single deck or two and only buy a few singles once every few months if they end up fitting the builds better, but that doesn't seem super desirable either.

I'm basically wondering if anyone's really concerned about this, since I'd assume at least some people have to be and it might even be a turnoff to others who'd be interested in the game otherwise. Prices are basically at their peak right now and it's not necessarily screaming "get out while you can still make a pretty big profit on your singles, because Force Speed is $45-50" but it does make me wonder.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

triple sulk posted:

It's sort of hard to have a mini rant about this without people getting on your case, but my biggest concern right now is definitely the dice component. Not so much the fact that they'll wear down over time, but more that we're two sets in and there are already potentially hundreds of dice people own due to the need for at least two of each for playsets/elites. I mean, I've gone to locals and people bring their huge drillbit cases which are almost full. There's no public roadmap for whether or not there's going to be a standard rotation, even if it doesn't happen for a couple of years, so what do you do now? If a proper legacy format isn't introduced, you're left holding the metaphorical/literal dice bag. Sure, you could just stick with a single deck or two and only buy a few singles once every few months if they end up fitting the builds better, but that doesn't seem super desirable either.

I'm basically wondering if anyone's really concerned about this, since I'd assume at least some people have to be and it might even be a turnoff to others who'd be interested in the game otherwise. Prices are basically at their peak right now and it's not necessarily screaming "get out while you can still make a pretty big profit on your singles, because Force Speed is $45-50" but it does make me wonder.

Unless they intend to do more starter sets I imagine they'll borrow a Netrunner model, where stuff stays legal for a long time and starters are permanently legal, and eventually start a rotation after the card pool is burdensome yooge. Could be wrong. Or they'll have two formats from the jump - a standard with a rotation, and a legacy or whatever where anything goes. Otherwise yeah you have a problem with invalidating a huge amount of stuff, plastic stuff, tangible stuff.

Meta-wise there's a eAnakin/eFN-2199 deck making rounds that is scary in some matchups and I've played it. Its fun. Don't know if it's great. Testing an IG-88 deck, thinking TIE Pilot but we'll see. Maybe it'll be Death Trooper for the HP, but TIE Pilots ability is sexy.

eLuke/Maz is getting slept on hard. Luke is cheaper than Poe, old Vader, Palp, and any number of other characters, by a wide margin. I rescind my warning about the cost of the deck financially - it is within normal parameters in terms of investment.

ePalp remains fun but I think he's best played fast; control options help obviously but you shouldn't go all in on that concept, since eLuke/Maz and ePoe/eMaz and Rey/stuff give so few fucks about your removal. 2 Doubts, FYA, Isolations, and Force Throw and that's probably it. High Ground maybe. Deflect for sure. That's definitely it. UTF, Mind Trick, stuff like that - no sale. Dark Presence I'm not into. Matchups are tough; PoeMaz is winnable with judicious shielding and removal where you can, but if eLuke gets a Vibroknife it shuts off all your defense but Rejuvenation/Rise Again/battlefield if you run those. Force Illusion saying "block" is roooough.

Unkar remains the driver of Fun Police decks. Yellow villain remains the most compelling argument against removing/banning action cheat decks from tourneys. Hell on wheels to playtest against. But a necessary part of the meta.

Vader/Raider is one top deck archetype I've never struggled with. I'm like 14-3 lifetime with various decks against it. I don't think it's bad, just (like Palp) overstated.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hope there's an annual set rotation of some kind, along with good reprints in core sets. Netrunner's model of rotating cards out after four years or however long is laughable. This is a TCG, and although I know the playerbase isn't used to TCGs and will complain about rotation like they do about singles prices, it's for the best.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
This playerbase is similar to much of Hearthstones in how they hilariously act like cost-of-entry and the idea of rotation are wild new concepts and so totally unfair, man!! :rolleyes:

Unrelated, I freaking love how crafty the SW:D community is. This poo poo is way, way cooler than the boring black deck boxes I lug around for Magic.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I personally don't care about the cost of entry. I do care about the potential lack of a future legacy format and then having a bunch of dice taking up space opposed to the much smaller space that cards alone would occupy. Reprints help the situation, but only a bit.

I mean hey, maybe that means it's the wrong game for me long term, but it's something to think about at least.

I agree that the boxes and stuff people are making are quite nice.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
There is zero reason to believe there will or won't be formats in the future, considering we only have two sets, both of which were designed before the official launch of the game. They have no incentive to come up with their solution NOW, but it's the same problem every collectible game faces and answers at some point.

Storing dice sucks, but it's no worse than Heroclix. If you're buying booster boxes to build sets, rather than playsets from resellers, you'll likely need/want to sell off or outright trash your useless extras before long. Welcome to collecting randomized plastic junk. :)

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

BJPaskoff posted:

I hope there's an annual set rotation of some kind, along with good reprints in core sets. Netrunner's model of rotating cards out after four years or however long is laughable. This is a TCG, and although I know the playerbase isn't used to TCGs and will complain about rotation like they do about singles prices, it's for the best.

I don't think a multi-year rotation would be bad for this game precisely because of the die element. It might not be four years but I don't think, say, two years would be bad. If you don't run two formats and rotate at Magic the Gatherings even more laughable speed, the competitive community will cash out and that's that. So you're stuck either almost immediately instituting a legacy format or you have to reprint a new Luke Skywalker every year. People are already bitching about not being able to acquire their favorite characters; if you made, say, Han Solo fall out of "standard" and there was no replacement for him, people would immediately clamor for legacy or bitch endlessly that you can't play Han in the "main" format. That's the power of the license.

Ville Valo posted:

This playerbase is similar to much of Hearthstones in how they hilariously act like cost-of-entry and the idea of rotation are wild new concepts and so totally unfair, man!! :rolleyes:

Not everyone who plays Destiny is a Magic crossover. If you rotate their favorite stuff out of tourney play or if the entry cost continues to climb, what compelling argument do you make to a casual-ish player to play Star Wars and not Gwent or Hearthstone or whatever else? Especially if you ask for annual rotation in a year with so far incredibly limited product runs lol.

I have no dog in the hunt, I just don't want Destiny to die on the vine. Immediately talking about rotation when there's like 330 cards in the pool just seems reeeeeal early. Let them print more stuff, see how the meta settles in terms of how aggro/mid-range/control interact with each other, then maybe talk about when cards should get out of standard play.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Magic's current rotation is pretty close to two years, just as an FYI.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

guts and bolts posted:

Not everyone who plays Destiny is a Magic crossover. If you rotate their favorite stuff out of tourney play or if the entry cost continues to climb, what compelling argument do you make to a casual-ish player to play Star Wars and not Gwent or Hearthstone or whatever else? Especially if you ask for annual rotation in a year with so far incredibly limited product runs lol.

I have no dog in the hunt, I just don't want Destiny to die on the vine. Immediately talking about rotation when there's like 330 cards in the pool just seems reeeeeal early. Let them print more stuff, see how the meta settles in terms of how aggro/mid-range/control interact with each other, then maybe talk about when cards should get out of standard play.

Talking about it early is part of the reason it sounds so bad to those unfamiliar with TCGs. Hearthstone has annual rotation now. Gwen will too once it's been around long enough. This is not a new genre nor a new problem, and rotation is likely inevitable. I'm not asking for it now nor think it'll be necessary within a year. But the resistance to the concept is incredibly naive.

Complaining about cost for a collectible game is just the most useless, obnoxious response and happens with every single new game, or I wouldn't roll my eyes quite so hard. If you (generic "you") want to pay a low flat fee to play a game, pick up a boardgame. Collecting, and thus spending, is half of a collectible game. It's right there in the name.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Strobe posted:

Magic's current rotation is pretty close to two years, just as an FYI.

I haven't kept up. I was talking out of my rear end in that case. I hear complaints about it moving too fast and assumed the worst. The last set of Magic I played was RtR and I was fine with that, I just lost interest in the game. Around... khans?... was when I started overhearing people complaining about rotation speeds, but I was playing X-Wing then.

Ville Valo posted:

Talking about it early is part of the reason it sounds so bad to those unfamiliar with TCGs. Hearthstone has annual rotation now. Gwen will too once it's been around long enough. This is not a new genre nor a new problem, and rotation is likely inevitable. I'm not asking for it now nor think it'll be necessary within a year. But the resistance to the concept is incredibly naive.

Complaining about cost for a collectible game is just the most useless, obnoxious response and happens with every single new game, or I wouldn't roll my eyes quite so hard. If you (generic "you") want to pay a low flat fee to play a game, pick up a boardgame. Collecting, and thus spending, is half of a collectible game. It's right there in the name.

I don't think rotations are bad. I actually think X-Wing could use a rotation itself; it'd be easier to balance then, and X-Wings locally stale meta is why I quit playing it. Power creep rears its ugly head once your pool of cards/minis reaches critical mass anyway. It'd be nice to see T-65 X-Wings not named "Biggs" be good again at the tourney level, and rotations help accomplish that.

But rotation presents an interesting problem within the context of a beloved property, and few are so beloved as Star Wars. If you were new and getting into the game and wanted to build a deck for a store championship and found out that yeah, sure, Wedge Antilles exists but you can't use him legally, people would get mad. The biggest complaint I hear about locally is that so many iconic characters got printed in a set that's currently hard to buy. I get asked to trade/sell my Han Solos in particular like every drat time I'm out at the FLGS, you know? People wanna be Han, Luke, Vader, and Boba Fett. So if you rotate them out do you just pull a Sith Lord/Anakin thing where there's always "a Vader" in standard play? Or whatever? I have no idea. I just think that annual rotations would be aggressively fast and that thered be pushback, that's all.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 30, 2017

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

guts and bolts posted:

So if you rotate them out do you just pull a Sith Lord/Anakin thing where there's always "a Vader" in standard play? Or whatever?

Yes. And not to be rude, but: D'uh.

Fantasy Flight isn't dumb. There's a reason the Han Solo card isn't "Han Solo." He's "Han Solo - Scoundrel." There'll literally never be a time a Han Solo or three aren't legal in the main format of Star Wars Destiny, whatever that format may look like.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Ville Valo posted:

Yes. And not to be rude, but: D'uh.

Fantasy Flight isn't dumb. There's a reason the Han Solo card isn't "Han Solo." He's "Han Solo - Scoundrel." There'll literally never be a time a Han Solo or three aren't legal in the main format of Star Wars Destiny, whatever that format may look like.

I don't think youre being rude, I just think it'd be weird to have an annual rotation but you print a new Han, Luke, Vader, Rey, Boba, etc. constantly. I mean maybe that works!

At any rate, some of the handwringing at swdestinydb about how awesome villains are feels premature. Heroes have plenty of deck options. I do think that red heroes not named "Poe" could use a boost, but Rey, Luke, Han, Poe, and Maz are all really good, so to see en ePalp write-up on the front page be "heroes are bad, Vader Raider was OP, and ePalp is the best deck" is weird.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

guts and bolts posted:

I don't think youre being rude, I just think it'd be weird to have an annual rotation but you print a new Han, Luke, Vader, Rey, Boba, etc. constantly. I mean maybe that works!

At any rate, some of the handwringing at swdestinydb about how awesome villains are feels premature. Heroes have plenty of deck options. I do think that red heroes not named "Poe" could use a boost, but Rey, Luke, Han, Poe, and Maz are all really good, so to see en ePalp write-up on the front page be "heroes are bad, Vader Raider was OP, and ePalp is the best deck" is weird.

Frequency of rotation will completely depend upon frequency of expansion releases. Annual sounds fast but who knows what their ideal distrobution of new printings and rereleases will look like. There's tons of room for redesigns of all the main characters though. There's even room for a red Han in "General" form, blue and yellow Leias, etc. We'll see plenty of the main characters, guaranteed.

eHan/eRey was amazing, and I'm pretty convinced eMaz/ePoe is better than ePalp. Both sides have their sweet decks. This game is definitely not Magic where formats are honed and refined in a matter of weeks. There simply aren't enough events nor enough coverage for the tier list to be solved.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yes, there will certainly be a red Luke too.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

canyoneer posted:

Yes, there will certainly be a red Luke too.

Yellow "Luke Skywalker - Wamprat Exterminator?"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

ANH Luke in a stormtrooper outfit could be yellow, "Unlikely Rescuer" and give him ranged sides and some cool ability whatever. I'm in.

Let's play Overrated, Underrated, Correctly Rated! Single cards. Single sentence explanations. Help me pass the time at work.

OVERRATED - Force Choke, which is good but was put in like a billion monoblue villain decks that never seemed truly threatening, and Immobilize is almost as good without being purple.

UNDERRATED - Close Quarters Assault, which in a deck with heavy melee sides is just crippling to contend with even if you're not milling, and it costs 0.

CORRECTLY RATED - FN-2199, who is really good but not without drawbacks, which seems to be the consensus around him.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I could see "Luke Skywalker, Moisture Farmer" as a yellow card, too, with an ability along the lines of some kind of reverse Guardian. "Before this character receives damage that would be enough to defeat it, you may choose to resolve that damage against another character instead" and then fill his die up with a Ranged 1, Ranged 2, Suppress 1, Discard 1, Focus 1, blank. Or something. Two blanks instead of focus might be worth it if you give him 9 health and a cost of 8/13 or something. I am not really homed in on what constitutes decent pricing for that.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

guts and bolts posted:

UNDERRATED - Close Quarters Assault, which in a deck with heavy melee sides is just crippling to contend with even if you're not milling, and it costs 0.

Absolutely this. I've toyed with putting in my Luke/Maz deck seeing as I tend to get 2/3 of Vibroknife, Rey's Staff, and Makashi Training out by the end of round 2. Removing your opponent's ability to control, or at the very least reroll their own dice, is fun. It fits even better in Qui-Gon/Rey.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Local event didn't fire off, but we had 3 people so we played a bunch of just-for-fun matches.

My ePoe/eMaz beat eSnap/eBaze and eUnkar/Death Trooper/Storm Trooper pretty handily, game after game. I think I lost 1 of 5 against Snap/Baze, and I misplayed pretty horribly.

It's just so uninteractive. I did get to see Maz take down some Troopers with her "angry grandma" ranged attacks, as my opponent put it. That was a treat.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Played in my first draft today with some... rules that needed tweaking.

Went 2-1 and my loss was literally we both milled eachother and he got the claim.

We had a guy get two packs for prizes and pull an Emperor and Force speed. Holy shitballs luck!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What was the draft format? I know Covenant did a big one with a lot of players and mentioned they learned a lot for future draft formats, but they didn't go into any further detail.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I'm trying to build a couple decks to teach a bunch of friends how to play. I'm ideally trying to find a hero & a villain deck that span all three colors and are fairly evenly matched. I want to span all three colors to give a good feel for the strengths of each, plus avoiding too many duplicates of cards between the decks.

My only actually tuned deck at the moment is ehayden/ekylo, I also have like 95% of epalp, but don't have enough playsets of the overlapping events, etc. to run both at the same time. I want to avoid proxying while teaching for fairly obvious reasons.
In the past I've also put together eaurra/fett or dtrooper, ejyn/ackbar or commando, some eobiwan/maz thing. I could also make hero mill or various FN decks. The problem is I feel all of those aren't as competitive or well-tuned as my anakin/kylo list due to missing out on some awakenings stuff.

Any suggestions, thoughts? I've got two of each starter plus a whole pile of SoR now, also waiting on some trades to come in but I don't think they'll be here in time.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

If you're teaching then you'd probably want to run blue/yellow heroes and red villains, and you'll cover most mechanics that way.

Important topics to cover, for me, would be hitting on all the main keywords (ambush, redeploy, spot a color character, color character only) and pointing out "a die" versus "an opponents die" or "your die." Deck building rules. And then cut em loose. I wouldn't worry about tuned decks of who wins or loses demo games - you're just illustrating how the game works - but if you want to show them a feature-complete store champs deck, do it and explain why you put in what you put in after they grasp the basic rules. The content of the decks you make for testing is largely irrelevant as long as you throw in, like, Vibroknife and Electroshock and poo poo, just to demonstrate.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

If you're teaching then you'd probably want to run blue/yellow heroes and red villains, and you'll cover most mechanics that way.

Important topics to cover, for me, would be hitting on all the main keywords (ambush, redeploy, spot a color character, color character only) and pointing out "a die" versus "an opponents die" or "your die." Deck building rules. And then cut em loose. I wouldn't worry about tuned decks of who wins or loses demo games - you're just illustrating how the game works - but if you want to show them a feature-complete store champs deck, do it and explain why you put in what you put in after they grasp the basic rules. The content of the decks you make for testing is largely irrelevant as long as you throw in, like, Vibroknife and Electroshock and poo poo, just to demonstrate.

Alright, fair points. Yeah, I was hoping to have two semi-competitive decks they could continue playing against each other post basic rules explanation that would illustrate some deeper game play, tempo, etc., give them something to dig in with. They're all pretty decent ex-MTG players who cube & draft a fair bit still, all familiar with a ton of other board & card games as well.

My goal here is to get them interested enough to buy in since we used to all play & test a bunch of competitive mtg stuff together. Hoping to get them interested in competitive destiny ultimately.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Vibroknife is really getting me down. Between all the action cheating and Vibroknife ignoring shields, the game is starting to feel deeply non-interactive.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I have a store champs tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to play. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Poe/Maz and Palpatine, especially in our local group.

I think Poe/Maz is lame and doesn't look fun to play, and I'm missing too many Awakenings cards to make it work ( I have 0 Poes). I could technically do a Palp deck. I only have one Palp now, but I'm supposed to be getting one tomorrow. The risk is if that doesn't pull through then I'm not, plus I have no experience with it.

The deck I've played the most since SoR launched is eVader(SoR)/eKylo. That is what I was planning on bringing, but I'm worried that if I'm right about Moe/Palp then I won't have enough direct straight up remove to deal with their dice if I don't get the burst damage I need. I think I might practice a bit more with Vader/Raider tonight and see what feels right.

God this is so hard.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

siggy2021 posted:

I have a store champs tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to play. I have a feeling there will be a lot of Poe/Maz and Palpatine, especially in our local group.

I think Poe/Maz is lame and doesn't look fun to play, and I'm missing too many Awakenings cards to make it work ( I have 0 Poes). I could technically do a Palp deck. I only have one Palp now, but I'm supposed to be getting one tomorrow. The risk is if that doesn't pull through then I'm not, plus I have no experience with it.

The deck I've played the most since SoR launched is eVader(SoR)/eKylo. That is what I was planning on bringing, but I'm worried that if I'm right about Moe/Palp then I won't have enough direct straight up remove to deal with their dice if I don't get the burst damage I need. I think I might practice a bit more with Vader/Raider tonight and see what feels right.

God this is so hard.

I'm going to one tomorrow too. I've got a full Poe maz built up but I'll play my ig88 + fn deck because it's more fun/I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

I did a bunch of testing against Poe maz tonight and even with bad opening hands I was able to come close to winning. Essentially, if Poe doesn't get his fast hands and I see a best defence early then I'm in with a really good chance to win. I never saw one in any of the games I played despite mulliganing my whole hand for them each time and one blow-out turn would have won me almost all of the test games.

God that deck is dumb though. So easy to pilot and stupidly efficient.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm going to one tomorrow too. I've got a full Poe maz built up but I'll play my ig88 + fn deck because it's more fun/I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

I did a bunch of testing against Poe maz tonight and even with bad opening hands I was able to come close to winning. Essentially, if Poe doesn't get his fast hands and I see a best defence early then I'm in with a really good chance to win. I never saw one in any of the games I played despite mulliganing my whole hand for them each time and one blow-out turn would have won me almost all of the test games.

God that deck is dumb though. So easy to pilot and stupidly efficient.

I'm impressed you are playing IG! I really wanted to like him because he is just so badass, but I haven't come up with a good deck for him yet.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Anyone tried Jabba/Unkar control against Poe/Maz? Any luck there, or is it just a bad matchup?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

frameset posted:

Vibroknife is really getting me down. Between all the action cheating and Vibroknife ignoring shields, the game is starting to feel deeply non-interactive.

I'm not sure why Vibroknife feels more non-interactive than shieldstacking Quiggy/Rey decks were, or Dooku was.

And action cheats are necessary unless you want chokehold decks to be the only playable decks in the game.

Too many action cheats are bad, sure, but one of the most oft-bitched about decks has no native action cheats at all (ePalp) so it isn't like you either play action cheats or you lose.

PoeMaz is getting comically overstated. It is an easy deck, yeah. But it isn't like an unbeatable behemoth. It has probably about even odds with Palp and perhaps plays at a disadvantage against other aggro decks and control decks like Luke/Maz and Unkar/stuff. I think that as the meta progresses you'll see Poe Maz be this meta's version of Jango Veers, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Merauder posted:

Anyone tried Jabba/Unkar control against Poe/Maz? Any luck there, or is it just a bad matchup?

I've beaten Poe Maz with Unkar FOST DTrooper and Unkar adult Vader, don't have Jabbas unfortunately :(