Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Burkion posted:

See you say this, but almost every time I'm Jason, by the time I get to the phone after loving around and getting shift and poo poo, almost everyone has grouped up and they all have like six knives a piece.

Every single person I pick up has a goddamn knife and I try so hard not to just cheese it and slash away but ALL of them are armed to the teeth.

It's like, Burk is Jason, let's become an armed mob! And I know for a drat fact that it doesn't happen other rounds because I've SEEN it not happen.

I just get stuck in this endless loop of barely breaking the phone box while trying to grab some one and then getting the poo poo kicked out of me by everyone else.

The inability of anyone to determine if the counselors or Jason are too overpowered seems to indicate that it all depends on how good the respective players are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So someone found out that as Vanessa you can outrun Jason 7 and 8 forever.

Squat for 2 seconds and you have enough speed boost to get out ahead of non-running Jasons long enough to repeat until the end of the round.

Of course you can always recharge your shift and nab them, but you'll literally never catch them using stalking and fear.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hope they add Pamela Voorhees later, make her fast but weak, allow her to use weapons around camp to murder the counselors and give her grab kills that revolve around her stabbing people to death. Also start her in her Jeep so she can run people over and in turn, the counselors can use it to escape but maybe knock her down once to make her drop her keys.

Would be awesome if they removed the opening cinematic and added Pamela and maybe even Roy. Give them some different mechanics like you mentioned and keep people guessing on how the round is going to go.

Perhaps Pamela while being weaker and actually killable would have a passive stalk so the music doesn't hit until she attacks

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Burkion posted:

It's like trying to say that you, yourself, right now are afraid of the Chuck E Cheeze mascot, because he scared you when you were three years old.

At one point you were, but I don't think you would admit to being scared of him anymore. Same deal with Jason.

I think that you're giving the Freddy vs. Jason writers too much credit. I see it as playing out like this:

FvJ Head Writer: "I came up with the best idea that we can work into the story. Jason was originally killed by water, Freddy by fire, so they're afraid of these elements and these weaknesses can be used against them!"
FvJ Supporting Writer: "That's a really great idea! Except Jason isn't really afraid of water. I mean in Part 6 he goes out into the middle of the lake, and in Part 8 he swims through the water to get onto the ship. Also I'm not sure there's much of a case for Freddy being afraid of fire, wasn't he around open flames in at least one of the dream sequences?"
FvJ Head Writer: "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me inhaling this line of blow."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So someone found out that as Vanessa you can outrun Jason 7 and 8 forever.

Squat for 2 seconds and you have enough speed boost to get out ahead of non-running Jasons long enough to repeat until the end of the round.

Of course you can always recharge your shift and nab them, but you'll literally never catch them using stalking and fear.
I am making it a habit that if I am chasing someone and see a Vanessa, I toss a knife at them, then continue the chase.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Living Jason in part 4 kills the girl in the inflatable raft, wiith a spear, then her dumbass boyfriend swims out to her and Jason kills him with a spear gun to the dick.

Zombie Jason kills 3 people in the water in part 7, and the entire climax is underwater.

Zombie Jason stalks and kills a whole house boat of people in part 8 and spends 90% of the movie at sea.

The "afraid of water" thing was just in FvJ and only in the dream world.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually Jason just has rabies so while it's very difficult for him to drink water he's not technically hydrophobic. A common misconception.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Jason seemed pretty comfortable with water when he chased me down in the lake as I tried to swim out of the map, thinking he was busy elsewhere.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Pubbies never want to group up. It bums me out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fosson posted:

Would be awesome if they removed the opening cinematic and added Pamela and maybe even Roy. Give them some different mechanics like you mentioned and keep people guessing on how the round is going to go.

Perhaps Pamela while being weaker and actually killable would have a passive stalk so the music doesn't hit until she attacks

I think they should keep the opening cinematic, shorten it but never show which Jason it is and leave it ambiguous. I also think they should add Roy as well.

Leaving the intro ambiguous is more in line with the films and it would heighten the tension because now you don't know which Jason it is so you don't know how they're going to approach things or what they're capable of until they're really close. It'd also be fun running into people or having someone jump into your cabin screaming which Jason it is.

I also think that the cop mechanic should be changed: make it so that two players spawn back as the cops and drive into the camp allowing them to save anyone left but they can't leave unless they have one other person. Also make them fat and bad at sprinting so it's not just like Tommy Jarvis. Cops getting killed is a staple in horror films and you don't get that in the game, plus it would give Jason more people to kill and keep players who died/escaped early on more to do if they're not picked in the Tommy Jarvis roll and keep more players involved in the game for longer. There's a ton of down time if you get off'd quickly and that sucks.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Knifegrab posted:

Pubbies? never.

FTFY

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think they should keep the opening cinematic, shorten it but never show which Jason it is and leave it ambiguous. I also think they should add Roy as well.

Leaving the intro ambiguous is more in line with the films and it would heighten the tension because now you don't know which Jason it is so you don't know how they're going to approach things or what they're capable of until they're really close. It'd also be fun running into people or having someone jump into your cabin screaming which Jason it is.

I also think that the cop mechanic should be changed: make it so that two players spawn back as the cops and drive into the camp allowing them to save anyone left but they can't leave unless they have one other person. Also make them fat and bad at sprinting so it's not just like Tommy Jarvis. Cops getting killed is a staple in horror films and you don't get that in the game, plus it would give Jason more people to kill and keep players who died/escaped early on more to do if they're not picked in the Tommy Jarvis roll and keep more players involved in the game for longer. There's a ton of down time if you get off'd quickly and that sucks.

This is a good idea.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I think leaving space for two or three pubbies adds some zest to the match. 7 friends makes thinks too clockwork, and the fun of the game is all in the chaos of the situation.

I'm a little disappointed that as survivors get better I can no longer play slow and roleplay. Just had a match where the police were being called literally as I smashed my first generator.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I also think that the cop mechanic should be changed: make it so that two players spawn back as the cops and drive into the camp allowing them to save anyone left but they can't leave unless they have one other person. Also make them fat and bad at sprinting so it's not just like Tommy Jarvis.

This is a great idea. Here's an idea: their stamina doesn't recharge unless they eat from a box of donuts at their cop car. This way they basically have to hang around the car to be effective and also Jason can spawn in while they are eating a donut and loving murder them in classic 80s horror fashion. This also means the counselors can jack their ride/one cop can abandon another. The donut eating animation should be nice and long so it creates a lot of great opportunities to gently caress them over.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Mister Bup posted:

I'm a little disappointed that as survivors get better I can no longer play slow and roleplay. Just had a match where the police were being called literally as I smashed my first generator.

Smash the generator to the phone as your opening move. Now they have to find it and repair it before they can phone, plus they'll be getting scared all the while from lack of lights :getin:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

MadJackMcJack posted:

Smash the generator to the phone as your opening move. Now they have to find it and repair it before they can phone, plus they'll be getting scared all the while from lack of lights :getin:

They do not need to power the camp in order to repair the phone, they only need the fuse. They need power to call Tommy Jarvis, which is the lowest priority objective to defend as Jason.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is a great idea. Here's an idea: their stamina doesn't recharge unless they eat from a box of donuts at their cop car. This way they basically have to hang around the car to be effective and also Jason can spawn in while they are eating a donut and loving murder them in classic 80s horror fashion. This also means the counselors can jack their ride/one cop can abandon another. The donut eating animation should be nice and long so it creates a lot of great opportunities to gently caress them over.

Also make it so that if one dies the other has permanent fear because that's a thing too, the cops never grow a pair in horror films, they see their partner die and poo poo themselves because now they're alone and realize they're up against some poo poo that they can't handle. Give them a 9mm with a 7~ clips and it takes mostly all of them to even stun Jason so you get the classic "walking towards you while I take the bullets like a champ" thing.

Oh, and here's a good idea: stunning Jason in anyway should reset the cooldown on his loving abilities because too many times you stun him, run away and he just shifts right next to you. There's times when it's almost pointless to even fight back because he's just going to be on your rear end right away once he gets up.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

This all sounds great. I'd actually like a bit more variety in the opening cinematic. I don't mind the "Everyone just hanging out around the campfire" bit, and the cries of "CHIP NO!" as the dude gets murdered were the highlight of the last batch of games I played, but considering Packaneck (I think?) has that big rear end house right there in the opening, why not set the opening in there and have poor Chip get tossed through a window.

That brings the idea someone else had earlier when they talked about how the window toss in the movies is typically just a jump scare (although he does toss a couple people out windows in a few of the movies. Part 7 I think for sure, and there's the debate about the dog in 4) and would really spice up the opening cinematic.

Adding Pamela and Roy would make for an interesting change up in gameplay, and since we're spitballing stuff we'd like to see, why not add kid Tommy. Sure, you can call Tommy in, but sometimes, for some reason, you get tiny Feldman in his little yellow raincoat running around trying to help. Hell, you could even give him the machete death sequence as a new way to kill Jason.

Also I want Uber Jason and more maps really bad. Give me a "Manhattan (Vancouver)" alley/street map or the boat from part 8, the ship from Jason X. Really a little more flavor with the maps would be really nice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

joylessdivision posted:

This all sounds great. I'd actually like a bit more variety in the opening cinematic. I don't mind the "Everyone just hanging out around the campfire" bit, and the cries of "CHIP NO!" as the dude gets murdered were the highlight of the last batch of games I played, but considering Packaneck (I think?) has that big rear end house right there in the opening, why not set the opening in there and have poor Chip get tossed through a window.

That brings the idea someone else had earlier when they talked about how the window toss in the movies is typically just a jump scare (although he does toss a couple people out windows in a few of the movies. Part 7 I think for sure, and there's the debate about the dog in 4) and would really spice up the opening cinematic.

Adding Pamela and Roy would make for an interesting change up in gameplay, and since we're spitballing stuff we'd like to see, why not add kid Tommy. Sure, you can call Tommy in, but sometimes, for some reason, you get tiny Feldman in his little yellow raincoat running around trying to help. Hell, you could even give him the machete death sequence as a new way to kill Jason.

Also I want Uber Jason and more maps really bad. Give me a "Manhattan (Vancouver)" alley/street map or the boat from part 8, the ship from Jason X. Really a little more flavor with the maps would be really nice.

Yoooo, that's a good idea. Or what about another intro where they're all inside a cabin and the door opens and shows chip who stumbles in and falls down revealing a machete in his back causing everyone to run?

I think kid Tommy could add to the gameplay but I doubt they want to have Jason murder a child in the game.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
License-wise they were only able to get Tommy as a side-deal with his actor. None of the other characters are doable without further licensing shenanigans.

And yeah. The game only scraped by with an M-rating and they had to cut out the nudity (nude texture files in the files still if you're into naked people's skins stretched out) to get there. There won't be a kid tommy.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
Well goons, time to contact Gun and set up a meeting to pitch these ideas. They are excellent.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, even the Friday the 13th Game gets hamstrung by censorship

They really are replicating the movies!

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah, I was surprised. It's more violent than Hatred which got AO but I think that was mostly the publicity and controversy. Hatred wasn't much more graphic than a GTA killing spree, whereas F13 has some genuinely disturbing executions, like shishkebab.

Is it just me or has balance swung pretty hard? I'm regularly seeing 0-kill Jasons now.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 2, 2017

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Pubbies never want to group up. It bums me out.

They sure as hell do when they're being chased.

I see those little circles b-lining for me on the map and I'm like "Oh, I know what this is" and hide.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pubbies make it more of a Friday game with them being in it for themselves. Them following me around means Vanessa can get a shot at Jason while he grabs their battered body.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They do not need to power the camp in order to repair the phone, they only need the fuse. They need power to call Tommy Jarvis, which is the lowest priority objective to defend as Jason.

I know they don't need power to fix the phone, but I thought they needed power to use the phone?

Mister Bup posted:

And yeah. The game only scraped by with an M-rating and they had to cut out the nudity (nude texture files in the files still if you're into naked people's skins stretched out) to get there. There won't be a kid tommy.

To be fair, it's not like any of the counselors will be getting up to any pre-marital sex after Jason murders a guy right in front of them.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MadJackMcJack posted:

I know they don't need power to fix the phone, but I thought they needed power to use the phone?

To be fair, it's not like any of the counselors will be getting up to any pre-marital sex after Jason murders a guy right in front of them.

Speak for yourself :q:

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

MadJackMcJack posted:

That was the other reason. Slasher film nudity is usually at the beginning, not as much once we hit the wholesale slaughter act of the movie.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I gotta stop using Part 3, he's too OP. I wanna play more Part 6 but the drat game won't recognize my middle mouse button so I can't throw knives.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also make it so that if one dies the other has permanent fear because that's a thing too, the cops never grow a pair in horror films, they see their partner die and poo poo themselves because now they're alone and realize they're up against some poo poo that they can't handle. Give them a 9mm with a 7~ clips and it takes mostly all of them to even stun Jason so you get the classic "walking towards you while I take the bullets like a champ" thing.

Absolutely. The cop's guns should be super-lovely.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

When is it likely this game goes on sale because from what I've seen it's waaay too buggy to be worth 40 bucks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Christmas.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Bup posted:

License-wise they were only able to get Tommy as a side-deal with his actor. None of the other characters are doable without further licensing shenanigans.

Ironically they've accidentally hamstrung themselves by doing a Friday the 13th game. They were basically given the license to make a game instead of just doing a generic knock-off, but now they're stuck negotiating everything from Jason X or Freddy vs. Jason and any usage of licensed characters.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

chitoryu12 posted:

Ironically they've accidentally hamstrung themselves by doing a Friday the 13th game. They were basically given the license to make a game instead of just doing a generic knock-off, but now they're stuck negotiating everything from Jason X or Freddy vs. Jason and any usage of licensed characters.

Or they can just keep making up new designs like the Savini Jason.

They can probably get Part V for a song. Make him the Dan Hibiki of the cast.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

When is it likely this game goes on sale because from what I've seen it's waaay too buggy to be worth 40 bucks.

By the time it goes on sale you're gonna be rolling the dice on whether or not there will still be anyone playing. This is a game where the most fun is to be had now, so by the time they're selling it for $15 it may not actually be worth that if you can't find a game.

For me what it came down to was the nostalgia factor and the fact that this is a game that is basically once in a lifetime. I mean, the premise is so good that people have been playing it as a simple card game since the 80's. If I told 12 year old me that this game was gonna be $40 but I was going to pass on it because of a few bugs, he'd punch me in the face.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yoooo, that's a good idea. Or what about another intro where they're all inside a cabin and the door opens and shows chip who stumbles in and falls down revealing a machete in his back causing everyone to run?

I think kid Tommy could add to the gameplay but I doubt they want to have Jason murder a child in the game.
Oh believe me, I know they'd never actually get tiny Feldman in the game, but I think it would own bones if it did.

Mister Bup posted:

I figured they probably had to work something out with the guy who played Tommy. Glad they went with the guy who played him in Part 6 instead of whoever the gently caress played him in 5. Not my Tommy.

Realistically speaking, they could probably get Roy into the game in his Jason get up, which would mean you could essentially do away with the whole "Tommy kills Jason" sequence entirely because the sweater wouldn't work on him. Then again Roy is just a dude, much like Pamela. I feel like Betsy Palmer (if she's still alive) would probably be willing to work something out to get her likeness in the game, or they could just do what Freddy vs Jason did and just recast her completely, although considering the level of fan service in this game it might rub some people the wrong way. Then again the people who are being salty on steam probably wouldn't give a poo poo one way or the other if Pamela looked like Betsy Palmer or not.

Much like the MPAA, the ESRB has to be dickholes about a little blood and nudity. I'm not saying we need a sex mini game or anything, but I think someone mentioned adding Vice modifiers to the game, like getting high, having sex, taking a shower etc that would boost the counselor, which would be pretty drat cool, but this is also a game that's flooded with screechy voiced teenagers who would spend entire matches in the shower to look at the nude models.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

joylessdivision posted:

Much like the MPAA, the ESRB has to be dickholes about a little blood and nudity. I'm not saying we need a sex mini game or anything, but I think someone mentioned adding Vice modifiers to the game, like getting high, having sex, taking a shower etc that would boost the counselor, which would be pretty drat cool, but this is also a game that's flooded with screechy voiced teenagers who would spend entire matches in the shower to look at the nude models.

Teenager smeenagers, I'd get that hot Chad rear end into a shower asap.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
There is one, and only one problem with The Chad. I've played so many hours of him that other counselors and Jason do nothing for me now. I just don't get that rush from killing teens or being a productive member of the counselor community.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

joylessdivision posted:

but this is also a game that's flooded with screechy voiced teenagers who would spend entire matches in the shower to look at the nude models.

This would make them easy prey in a way that's totally in line with what would happen in the movies, so I'd be cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

MadJackMcJack posted:

i found the hard way recently that dead lights will NOT stop a call to the cops. which i suppose is realistic (you could totally use the phone lines during a power outage back in the 80s and 90s unless those lines were damaged) but it also directly contradicts one of the loading tips so i am angry about elves and stuff.

it's still probably a good idea to do that one though because it'll give you immediate feedback on who's near the cop box. the last thing you want is an early call to the cops.

• Locked thread