Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Timby posted:

Far earlier in the thread, I'm positive that echoplex himself said that Mackie was perfectly kind.

Yeah, I never saw her be anything less than entirely lovely - not in a polite reserved way, but actually talking to everyone like she was part of the crew and not the talent. We had a long talk about how amazingly furnished the Knock Knock house was, and I struggle to believe she turned into a diva ~8 episodes later.*

Peter is by no means less nice, but when he's Doctoring he tends to be very focused and like his peace and quiet between takes. Pearl would chat to everyone.

I've seen some horrendous poo poo levelled at her in places like Daily Mail comments when she was first photo'd on location. Very specific stuff comparing her negatively to "English rose" Jenna - you know exactly what that means. I'm so pleased the fans - and everyone else - has taken to her. gently caress those dickheads.

Ms Boods posted:

If you ever get a chance to see him on stage, do so; Don Juan in Soho was a cracker.

I saw that on Friday and really didn't enjoy it - not sure what I was expecting.

Tennant came into the DW offices on my shift for a bit as he was originally involved with Midsummer which was a shared crew. I've never seen so many TV professionals so star struck by a man; he was really loved there.

*unless I bring out the worst in people

echoplex fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Has anyone read this book?

:haw:

Oh god I read that when I was 9 or something. It's about devil worship or something? "and do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bicyclops posted:

Hopefully Chibnall will be able to do something interesting around the chains.

Let's be honest. That's not going to happen. Even without chains. And I like Chibnail's work on Doctor Who more than most people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit that the "Beeb wants a dashing romantic David Tennant type" stories we've been hearing is what makes me a wee bit doubtful about Kris Marshall.

I appreciate I'm being a bit rude about him (and maybe I just haven't watched enough Death In Paradise or whatever), but he doesn't exactly give off that "dashing romantic" vibe to me.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Whoa whoa whoa!

There's a Series 3 of Broadchurch?!? Why the hell doesn't anyone notify me about these things?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have to admit that the "Beeb wants a dashing romantic David Tennant type" stories we've been hearing is what makes me a wee bit doubtful about Kris Marshall.

I appreciate I'm being a bit rude about him (and maybe I just haven't watched enough Death In Paradise or whatever), but he doesn't exactly give off that "dashing romantic" vibe to me.

No, he doesn't. He's an affable buffoon. He has a niche but it's absolutely not "dashing".

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ms Boods posted:

it was a struggle sometimes to watch the episodes when Clara was the companion.

I always kinda felt bad for Clara's actress. She seemed like a perfectly fine person, but the way the character was written most of the time you could have replaced her with a cardboard cutout that said "COMPANION" on it and basically be the same.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.
Yeah, whatever the foibles of RTD as a writer, the man could sure as hell produce the show consistently. Does anyone have an idea of how many series/episodes we've lost due to mismangement, as opposed to if we'd gotten the same consistency of 13 + Christmas Special annually of the RTD years?

Maybe they should split the role of show runner back into executive producer and head writer. The rumoured talk of a writers' room might fit that sort of thing.

Kind of wish the rumour of Michaela Coel as the next Doctor were true. It'd make a kind of sense if the 13th Doctor kind of took after Bill, whereas 12 took after the Ponds (as a scottish Roman).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

I always kinda felt bad for Clara's actress. She seemed like a perfectly fine person, but the way the character was written most of the time you could have replaced her with a cardboard cutout that said "COMPANION" on it and basically be the same.

True. My feelings towards Coleman were always mitigated by the fact that I found a lot of her acting choices really offputting (the way she held herself, and the way she'd choose to use her arms in a scene, or whatever), not helped by the costuming. But she always had an uphill battle.

I know her latter seasons were meant to introduce a lot more nuance to her characterisation, but I never saw much consistency or discipline to it -- something I think all Moffat companions suffer from, to a greater or lesser extent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.

Yeah, two years of delays definitely does, if nothing else, indicate some major problems as a showrunner. I do hope that Moffat gets to go out with some of his best writing, that it gives both Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie something to really chew on.

Whatever the future holds, I'm probably going to watch this show either way because, let's be honest, if I could get through The Twin Dilemma...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Whatever the future holds, I'm probably going to watch this show either way because, let's be honest, if I could get through The Twin Dilemma...

Wait...what if The Twin Dilemma was just the Monks' way of asking for us fans to give consent?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Wait...what if The Twin Dilemma was just the Monks' way of asking for us fans to give consent?

I touched the simulation wires to see possible futures of Doctor Who and... there was an entire season written by Philip Martin!! Companions from the RTD years were brought back and made to suffer fates worse than death by Joseph Lidster! I consent, BBC monks! Give me the dashing Doctor with romantic tension! Anything but Philip Martin!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Will be very interested to see what kind of post-mortem (if any) comes out when Moffat's gone. Even if no one has any behind-the-scenes stories (or at least don't feel like airing them in public out of professional courtesy), it will be interesting to look back and take stock as a whole of the seven (!) years Moffat's been in charge.

I'd be very interested in seeing if he does anything like The Writer's Tale, which I think rehabilitate opinions of RTD as writer and showrunner for a lot of people.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, whatever the foibles of RTD as a writer, the man could sure as hell produce the show consistently. Does anyone have an idea of how many series/episodes we've lost due to mismangement, as opposed to if we'd gotten the same consistency of 13 + Christmas Special annually of the RTD years?

Well, there was no 2013 series (the episodes broadcast in 2013 were the back half of the 2012 series) and in 2014 and 15 the run was reduced from 13 to 12, so that's 15 episodes there, plus another 13 for 2015 makes 28. I'm hesitant to lay the 13-12 reduction at Moffat's feet though, really, that could be just BBC budget cuts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's also the year of the half seasons, where one season was broken up across two years without anything else to go with it.

So that's another season lost.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That was 2012-2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd be very interested in seeing if he does anything like The Writer's Tale, which I think rehabilitate opinions of RTD as writer and showrunner for a lot of people.

The Writers Tale humanises Rusty rather than absolves him, it absolutely confirms that he sends out first drafts and surrounds himself with people who don't criticise his writing

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, one of the issues with Steven Moffat is that when he explains his decisions, he tends to come off worse rather than better. When someone sticks a microphone in front of his face is usually when I like him the least. His good writing stands on its own and his bad writing isn't something I want to hear from him about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But it is a bit weird how - between Doctor Who and Sherlock - he's managed to become one of the most high-profile showrunners, not just in Doctor Who history, but in television right now. I remember a couple of years ago (and I know I mentioned it in either the last thread or the one before it) seeing a either an issue of DWM or a general sci-fi magazine which had a big interview with him advertised on the front cover, which described him as something like "the biggest writer in TV today!" and as I thought, "Rubbish!" until I realised I couldn't name any other writers or showrunners in Britain with the same profile.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You are erased from Doctor Who!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

TinTower posted:

You are erased from Doctor Who!

And thusly Christopher Eccleston left the 50th.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

McCoy is a heartthrob, agreed

Agreed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Mr Bean's Scottish cousin

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Brian May?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HandsomeTroughton.jpg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Michael Sheen, clearly.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I touched the simulation wires to see possible futures of Doctor Who and... there was an entire season written by Philip Martin!! Companions from the RTD years were brought back and made to suffer fates worse than death by Joseph Lidster! I consent, BBC monks! Give me the dashing Doctor with romantic tension! Anything but Philip Martin!

something something fear is not consent

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Listening to Robophobia now and I have a pretty big issue with Seven in this story. I haven't seen any of Seven's televised stories and I've only listened to The Fearmonger and Flip Flop of him, but his characterization is really sinister. I know that was kind of a thrust for Seven, but he's far too mysterious for far too long. People get killed and he's just around trying to get Liv and the captain to puzzle things out for themselves.

Fairly enjoyable story otherwise. I like the manipulative side of Seven, but I don't think the Doctor would ever really let even a handful of people die without seriously trying to set things right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robophobia is an okay story that's elevated by its execution because White Noise's voice, and the actual white noise sound that plays when he talks is just done so well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

Robophobia is an okay story that's elevated by its execution because White Noise's voice, and the actual white noise sound that plays when he talks is just done so well.

Aren't you thinking of Red? Red? RED? RRRRRRRREEDDDDDDD!?!

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Jerusalem posted:

Aren't you thinking of Red? Red? RED? RRRRRRRREEDDDDDDD!?!

I really need to buy that one one of these days. McCoy might not get the best material Big Finish has to offer, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain of him phoning in a performance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

apophenium posted:

I really need to buy that one one of these days. McCoy might not get the best material Big Finish has to offer, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain of him phoning in a performance.

He used to do that constantly, though. He's gotten a lot, lot better.

(I'm talking specifically about phoning in some Big Finish performances. I've never thought he was a bad actor.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Don't worry, we have top men working on casting the new Doctor."
"Who?"
"TOP. MEN. :mad:"

Edit: Haha, the Monks put all their money into a perfect simulation and skimped on the photoshop budget.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Magpie Electrical :D

e: also eep, that whole "dead mum" thing is gonna be a nasty one for Bill to have to realize is still false even though she mostly remembers the real world...

e e: Or not! Kinda glad about that one actually, that would be a rubbish "ah but at what cost" ending.

JessKay fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 3, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That opening felt REALLY like the old RTD days, right down to the working class family cowering in their living room.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh Doctor :allears:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I'm sad they didn't do differnet opening credits. I'm a sucker for special/altered intros for some reason.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

DroneRiff posted:

I'm sad they didn't do differnet opening credits. I'm a sucker for special/altered intros for some reason.

I was almost expecting a monk face in place of the Doctor's eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh it's a fake news metaphor.

E: Not even a metaphor.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 3, 2017

• Locked thread