Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The scene can be sort of retroactively interpreted as River blowing it up without realising what she's doing, due to Silence brainwashing etc. Or it was some invisible alien who works for the Silence I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough - I've read fewer Christie novels than Holmes stories and confess I'm more familiar with them via adaptations.

Speaking of, vaguely related, if you haven't seen the BBC Adaptation of And Then There Were None, do so.

It's easily the best adaptation of the book, and just really drat good besides. Three hour long parts.

Otherwise the only good adaptation of And Then There Were None was the Russian one from the 80s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish I had liked the Agatha Christie episode of Doctor Who more. One of these days, I have to finish reading her stuff. I read all of the Poirot novels and And Then There Were None, but I've still got to get through Miss Marple and the rest of her stuff. I did get to see The Mousetrap last year, which was fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Burkion posted:

Speaking of, vaguely related, if you haven't seen the BBC Adaptation of And Then There Were None, do so.

It's easily the best adaptation of the book, and just really drat good besides. Three hour long parts.

Otherwise the only good adaptation of And Then There Were None was the Russian one from the 80s.

I liked the And Then There Were None PC game as it adapted the twist to the medium.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
From the new popbitch:

quote:

Pearl Mackie has been hugely popular with fans as the Doctor's new sidekick on Doctor Who, but behind the scenes? Not so much.

Perhaps she's too focused on delivering a good performance on screen, but Pearl just seems to forget her manners on set. Her behaviour was described by various members of the cast and crew as ranging from "grossly rude" to "eye-wateringly rude" – and she also spent a fair bit of time giving unrequested lectures on acting to the Doctor himself, Peter Capaldi.

Of course, Capaldi won't have to deal with it any longer as he's not coming back next series. But if the rumours going around are correct, neither will she.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really like hearsay and rumors, but if it's true, that's a real shame.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Starburst Magazine 2/1982 posted:

Matthew Waterhouse has been hugely popular with fans as the Doctor's new sidekick on Doctor Who, but behind the scenes? Not so much.

Perhaps he's too focused on delivering a good performance on screen, but Matthew just seems to forget his manners on set. His behaviour was described by various members of the cast and crew as ranging from "grossly rude" to "eye-wateringly rude" – and he also spent a fair bit of time giving unrequested lectures on acting to the Doctor himself, Peter Davison.

Of course, Davison won't have to deal with it any longer as Earthshock is up next.

Forktoss fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 1, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

I don't really like hearsay and rumors, but if it's true, that's a real shame.

It's almost certainly a lie predicated on racism.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DoctorWhat posted:

Far earlier in the thread, I'm positive that echoplex himself said that Mackie was perfectly kind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't know anything about Popbitch, but from the name, I'd guess it's not suuuper trustworthy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Someone posted it on the internet that means it's true and worth sharing

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd imagine we would have heard anything about it before now if it was remotely true. The filming is all done, right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DoctorWhat posted:

But she's not blue.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

I'd imagine we would have heard anything about it before now if it was remotely true. The filming is all done, right?

Outside of the Christmas special, which is set to begin shooting near the end of the month.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f18nWRzhLK4
Pearl and Peter introduce The Lie of the Land

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Gonna admit I totally missed that the TARDIS exploding was ever answered.

Even if it was Kovarian, how?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well the Doctor is President of Earth...

God, that was a sloppy retcon.

I mean let's be honest, there was no way that was the original plan, right? Right?

Whatever the plan was I think it would've come together better had Smith not bailed because of the behind the scenes drama.

He had agreed to Moffat before the 50th and following he's upset with it that he would stay for one more series. Then it turned out the BBC wanted that series to be delayed and Smith decided that two years more of his life to the show wasn't what he wanted so he left. Moffat had to hastily write his exit episode and tie up plots that were meant to have a year to be addressed.

All of this stems from Moffats love of office romance from what I understand.

There's also behind the scenes drama about Capaldi leaving.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

PriorMarcus posted:

All of this stems from Moffats love of office romance from what I understand.

There's also behind the scenes drama about Capaldi leaving.

Talk about a rebound

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Well find out what it is and dish for fucks sake

spectralent posted:

Gonna admit I totally missed that the TARDIS exploding was ever answered.

Even if it was Kovarian, how?
They had a brainwashed psychopath in their power for years, maybe they brainwashed her to blow up the Tardis. Or maybe one of the Silence monsters snuck on board, or maybe they recruited an alien that can turn invisible

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

They had a brainwashed psychopath in their power for years, maybe they brainwashed her to blow up the Tardis. Or maybe one of the Silence monsters snuck on board, or maybe they recruited an alien that can turn invisible

Maybe lots of things but they never bloody said!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Frankly what's more egregious is that they planned to kill the Doctor at Lake Silencio and pull some science wizardry to make it a fixed point in time so he could never be saved, but they neglected to do anything at all to lure him there. He just went there because he found out he was going to go there. What the gently caress was their plan, just assume he'd eventually show up?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

Well find out what it is and dish for fucks sake

I knew that Peter was leaving after this current, delayed, series a year ago. I talked about that on these forums and it can be looked up.

But Peter didn't want to leave. He's contract extended beyond his current season.

They offered the series to one other show runner who turned it down.

Chibnall was hired because he agreed not to work with Peter and hire a new, BBC approved Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Well that's unexpected. So it's not that he doesn't want to do it, it's that higher ups don't want him? I'd guess they want someone cheaper

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

Well that's unexpected. So it's not that he doesn't want to do it, it's that higher ups don't want him? I'd guess they want someone cheaper

They want someone younger and more marketable. Tennant mk2 was the rumours we heard before anyway, and this just confirms it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They want someone more marketable, more attractive.

In many ways, it's 1986 all over again. I'm furious that my two favorite Doctors ever have both been foisted out prematurely.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

They offered the series to one other show runner who turned it down.

Any clue who?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has anyone read this book?

:haw:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They want someone younger and more marketable. Tennant mk2 was the rumours we heard before anyway, and this just confirms it.

I really hope this isn't true, because there's honestly no casting choice that would interest me less than 'David Tennant again'.

EDIT: if it was literally David Tennant again I might be on board, as an actor he's really fun. But don't give me a white gangly suitman.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any clue who?

I'd bet Mark Gatiss, but mainly because I don't know many behind the scenes people in UK TV and of the ones I do know he's the most high-profile and who's been around the longest.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Any clue who?

No sorry. Unless it trickles down to the wider staff in the offices I don't get names. That's for the show runner or the Doctor. But they have cast the new Doctor and have had them cast from before Capaldi announced he was leaving. Chibnall saying he's too busy is just cover.

If I was to throw a guess out there though I'd guess Toby Whitehouse. He's pretty beloved around here as a guy and Being Human made the BBC an unusually large amount of money when they sold it's rights to Syfy. He's wrote for the show before and he's a solid show runner with no skeletons or rebellious streak.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 2, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

In many ways, it's 1986 all over again. I'm furious that my two favorite Doctors ever have both been foisted out prematurely.

At least Capaldi got a full three seasons, though and overall a lot better writing than Colin's TV era, which is a pretty normal Doctor Who run. At least we know that he'll happily do Big Finish at the drop of a hat if offered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I could see Toby Whitehouse or Mark Gatiss having been offered it, though to be fair to Chibnall while his actual written episodes have never been that great he does have a proven track record of showrunning with Broadchurch - I didn't like season 2 very much but I heard season 3 was much better, and season 1 is really quite excellent.

Bicyclops posted:

I wish I had liked the Agatha Christie episode of Doctor Who more. One of these days, I have to finish reading her stuff. I read all of the Poirot novels and And Then There Were None, but I've still got to get through Miss Marple and the rest of her stuff. I did get to see The Mousetrap last year, which was fun.

10th Doctor: Only Agatha Christie can solve this mystery!
Agatha Christie: Well the say I see it, this is what hap-
10th Doctor (shoving her forcefully to the floor): SO HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is really sad to watch the BBC try to play things safe at the same time that Netflix cancels some of its riskier, more high cost productions. Hopefully Chibnall will be able to do something interesting around the chains.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It is really sad to watch the BBC try to play things safe at the same time that Netflix cancels some of its riskier, more high cost productions. Hopefully Chibnall will be able to do something interesting around the chains.

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Goofus: casts a veteran actor whose performance is such that you could believe it's the part he was born to play

Gallant: casts a dashing hunk

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If nothing else, maybe Chibnall can actually run the show without ridiculous delays, budget problems, and BTS drama. It's been said before, but during Moffat's tenure he managed to waste two of the best actors to ever play the role because he couldn't run the show in a professional and effective manner. The BBC's reaction and desire for a more marketable Doctor shouldn't be surprising, and Moffat should be held accountable for his fuckups instead of lauded by the fanbase for his half-assed output.
I was so sure they were past that and back on track with Capaldi's first two series, then Moffat flushed another year's worth of episodes down the toilet somehow. It's almost impressive.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 2, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I remember complaining about this ages ago.

Like literally years ago.

Back when it was just two years of Smith tossed in the garbage and not an entire year of Capaldi as well.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What was the behind the scenes drama with Smith? I thought he left early to crack Hollywood?

And thank God Gatiss won't be showrunner. He can take his stupid gurning face out of all shows forever please.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

In many ways, it's 1986 all over again.

McCoy is a heartthrob, agreed

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MrL_JaKiri posted:

McCoy is a heartthrob, agreed

It's the spoons, right? Chicks love the spoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: if it was literally David Tennant again I might be on board, as an actor he's really fun. But don't give me a white gangly suitman.

If you ever get a chance to see him on stage, do so; Don Juan in Soho was a cracker.

I'm also disappointed to see Capaldi go after such a good series this time around. I've been a fan since way back in his Local Hero and Lair of the Whte Worm Days, and it was a struggle sometimes to watch the episodes when Clara was the companion.

• Locked thread