Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

There's not a huge amount of WW1 media. I mean, currently, there's a computer game, which boils down a hellish conflict into "Throw grenades at zeppelins while you're on a horse" and there's a few horror movies set in the trenches, but with the war being as awful and pointless as it was, and having a bigger budget sequel, it doesn't lend itself to popular media very well.

It's also the game that tells you about the horrors and senseless tragedy of war, unless you're a pilot, in which case war's pretty loving awesome for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Azubah posted:

Could they explain why she left humanity to rot in a theoretical sequel or is the ending to this one that concrete?

Unless they were knocking on her island door it's not like the Amazons would really know current events around the world, right? Maybe they were turtling down preparing to prevent another potential invasion or something and they heard about ww2 and were all like, "Ares isn't loving with you this time? lol we'll come back when y'all're finished with all that bullshit."

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Why isn't there a Wonder Woman/Rambo team-up comic, or film? Why doesn't Chris Pine play Rambo's grandpa in this?

How is Mads Mikkelsen not in this, he's in everything?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Unless they were knocking on her island door it's not like the Amazons would really know current events around the world, right? Maybe they were turtling down preparing to prevent another potential invasion or something and they heard about ww2 and were all like, "Ares isn't loving with you this time? lol we'll come back when y'all're finished with all that bullshit."

That bullshit being the holocaust. But my boyfriend...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Great film. The Themyscira parts were definitely the weakest, with some really wonky CGI, but once they get to London does everything pick up. Gal Gadot was amazing, with such a rich performance, which surprised the hell out of me compared to how flat and lifeless her performance in BvS was. The action sequences were the best out of any on the DC films so far, and it was really nice to have an actual emotion behind them. The Diana/Steve relationship felt very authentic; there was a genuine chemistry between those two. Will definitely be seeing it again.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was an ok movie. I'm glad Matrix bullet time is making a resurgence because it was super tight in the Matrix movies, thanks DC Comics. I didn't quite get what was happening in the ending because there was just alot of yelling and then Wonder Woman remembered she could shoot blue lightning from her hands at the bad guy to explode him.

My favorite part was the general that used the blue herring cocaine gas to make it seem like he was the main bad guy.

Who was the general that was using the cocaine gas that made him super fast and let him fight people? Was it the gas or is he some DC villain also? That gas seemed like a better weapon than the super mustard gas.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 2, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Who was the general that was using the cocaine gas that made him super fast and let him fight people? Was it the gas or is he some DC villain also? That gas seemed like a better weapon than the super mustard gas.

General Erich Ludendorff was the lesser half of the Hindenburg/Ludendorff clique that was running Germany at the end of WW1. After the war, he became an early supporter and patron of the Nazis, and marched with Hitler in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch (Ludendorff was acquitted due to his celebrity).

But since Wonder Woman killed him, maybe the Nazis never got the support they needed to seize power?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In the theater I was in literally everyone laughed during those couple of seconds of British Ares' "fallen from heaven" shot. I think it was the moustache. If he'd just had a big bushy beard or something it wouldn't have been nearly as funny.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

dublish posted:

General Erich Ludendorff was the lesser half of the Hindenburg/Ludendorff clique that was running Germany at the end of WW1. After the war, he became an early supporter and patron of the Nazis, and marched with Hitler in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch (Ludendorff was acquitted due to his celebrity).

But since Wonder Woman killed him, maybe the Nazis never got the support they needed to seize power?

Did he also use blue gas he inhaled like cocaine to give him super fighting powers?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Obviously no superhero movie is ever going to have action as good as Man of Steel's, but I was really struck by the difference in quality here between when Diana was fighting with "nonlethal" means (super-punches, lasso tricks) versus with her sword. The former was pretty clear and satisfying on the whole while the latter was all grazing blows and quick cuts away at the last second and cutting people's guns in half. The final fight was cool - it's always nice to see one of these flicks not end in a mirror match.

Ideologically, this was the inverse of MoS in a lot of ways, down to there literally being a scene in which the hero ignores the main objective/true threat in order to (arguably futilely) save the little people right in front of her. The biggest weakness here isn't the fact of the difference, but the fact that the movie spends practically its entire runtime orbiting around the question of "why the hell would people fight a war of this magnitude - hell, a war of any magnitude - at all" and comes up with some sappy nonsense about there being Light And Dark In Everyone And Everyone Must Choose and so on. Which I guess explains Wonder Woman's absence from the rest of human history, given that this insane industrial atrocity supposedly arose by popular vote.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously no superhero movie is ever going to have action as good as Man of Steel's,

"Obviously ..."

Heh.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
*appears behind you, unscathed* Heh... impressive.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Liked the movie a lot, a few 'meh' moments but I really liked the combat, which is also my largest complaint about the end of the movie.

The beginning shows us her training, then we get to see a lot of refreshing combat especially with those shield slides, and the final battle is a couple punches and then just lots of throwing things at each other and then some sort of lightning blast finisher. Wanted to see a brawl with the God of War. Not satisfying.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 2, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blackchamber posted:

Liked the movie a lot, a few 'meh' moments but I really liked the combat, which is also my largest complaint about the end of the movie.

The beginning shows us her training, then we get to see a lot of refreshing combat especially with those shield slides, and the final battle is a couple punches and then just lots of throwing things at each other and then some sort of lightning blast finisher. Wanted to see a brawl with the God of War. Not satisfying.

It was very good use of bullet time, I hope they continue the trend into Justice League.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously no superhero movie is ever going to have action as good as Man of Steel's, but I was really struck by the difference in quality here between when Diana was fighting with "nonlethal" means (super-punches, lasso tricks) versus with her sword. The former was pretty clear and satisfying on the whole while the latter was all grazing blows and quick cuts away at the last second and cutting people's guns in half. The final fight was cool - it's always nice to see one of these flicks not end in a mirror match.

Ideologically, this was the inverse of MoS in a lot of ways, down to there literally being a scene in which the hero ignores the main objective/true threat in order to (arguably futilely) save the little people right in front of her. The biggest weakness here isn't the fact of the difference, but the fact that the movie spends practically its entire runtime orbiting around the question of "why the hell would people fight a war of this magnitude - hell, a war of any magnitude - at all" and comes up with some sappy nonsense about there being Light And Dark In Everyone And Everyone Must Choose and so on. Which I guess explains Wonder Woman's absence from the rest of human history, given that this insane industrial atrocity supposedly arose by popular vote.

She ends the movie knowing she is a god and seeing the lengths a mad god can go to prove their point. Her compassion is counter weighted by her fear of becoming a god that creates the world as she sees it despite the reality. Until BvS she would be convinced her purpose in life was to kill Ares and let humanity live and die without gods meddling in their affairs. Of course, the Justice League is just a bunch of gods meddling in humanities affairs, so something about Bats/Supes convinces her she can use her power again.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 2, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/joss/status/870679030399246337

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Gal Gadot is loving hot.

Steve was definitely above average for banging Wonder Woman

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My hot take immediate impressions on Wonder Woman from tired midnight viewing last night, mostly copypasted from BSS, is...yup, pretty much agree with the general consensus. Virtually flawless first and second acts. But gets real coked out and trashes the house near the end.

I want to add a caveat to that, though...which is that, while the finale does start off real wonky and disorganized, it also does manage to recover its bearings at a certain point, in my opinion.

Yeah, from the moment Ares appeared I felt like he was just...spouting endless gibberish and turning everything about the film -- the dialogue, the editing, the action -- into a hot mess. Like what the gently caress is happening? What is this? Why is anyone doing anything that they're doing? I mean...technically I "know" why, but I suppose this part just wasn't...well, it just wasn't good at doing the why. Mechanically, narratively, visually, it just didn't feel like the same film it did before this point.

But...but then! We get to the part where Ares is goading Diana into killing Maru and it's suddenly like...ahhh. I get it now. I understand The Point. For one thing, this is Star Wars; this is the Emperor trying to corrupt Luke. But for another thing, this is also Wonder Woman at her peak. The idea of War personified trying to taint Diana's spirit by playing on her innate passions and rage and, yes, warrior's spirit...and then for her to reject this lesson in a display of mercy and love...is hands down one of the clearest, most impeccable depictions of this character that I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Diana was always Diana before this point, but the moment when she understands that love conquers war is the moment she truly becomes Wonder Woman.

(The electro DBZ beam she shot to destroy him at the end was still real dumb, though)

This WW story is basically about her journey from innocence into sin, from ignorance into wisdom, from immaturity into experience. It's Eve's exile from Eden. It's the story of a child becoming an adult, learning the truth about the world in all its beauty and horrors. It's about how easy it is to want to do good when you believe that good is all there is, and how hard it is to want to do good when you find out that evil is also all there is, and then choosing to do good anyway because that's what you ultimately believe in.

(It's also, simultaneously, a much better Christ allegory than MoS :v:. C'mon, the whole God/Satan/Jesus parallel with Zeus/Ares/Diana?)

I do agree that the themes get a wee bit muddled when we're forced to pair this up with BvS. I think what Jenkins is trying to go for here is a sense that, yes, Diana did say she walked away from mankind in that film...but that's only a fraction of the story. She can have walked away, but still be fighting. She can have given up on people, but still believe in them. This final act tries its utmost to make it so that it's not an either-or situation, that these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. It almost gets there, with the whole "there is light and darkness and I accept both" compromise. But I think the themes just get that little bit too confused and unclear at the end so that it's not exactly a wholly satisfying conclusion either way.

Which is a pity, but ultimately not a very big deal to me; the rest of the film hits so many highs and gets so many rights that I can hardly be arsed about how the final ten minutes line up to a less good film. That's not necessarily a dig at BvS either, that's just how shared universes are gonna work no matter what, and DC is finally throwing its A-game into the pit.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 2, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ferrinus posted:

Obviously no superhero movie is ever going to have action as good as Man of Steel's

*endless exploooosioooonss*

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Azubah posted:

Could they explain why she left humanity to rot in a theoretical sequel or is the ending to this one that concrete?

They could use a sequel, but several possible avenues are closed off. she's not allowed back to Amazonia because laws, the movie had some sadness but otherwise suggests mankind is very much worth fighting for and can be saved, and that she has the ability and duty to do something when others won't. It's a serious writing challenge to square everything. The best, maybe only, option is to ignore that line and have adventures and help in WW2 but somehow be unnoticed (maybe fight in Hiroshima in bomb-eve) and then hide because someone she loves or trusts betrays her or the Amazons. I think you could see her skipping Nam for something like that, just anything other than the drat holocaust.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey guys not everyone saw the movie last night, keep using spoiler tags.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Neon Knight posted:

She ends the movie knowing she is a god and seeing the lengths a mad god can go to prove their point. Her compassion is counter weighted by her fear of becoming a god that creates the world as she sees it despite the reality. Until BvS she would be convinced her purpose in life was to kill Ares and let humanity live and die without gods meddling in their affairs. Of course, the Justice League is just a bunch of gods meddling in humanities affairs, so something about Bats/Supes convinces her she can use her power again.

BrianWilly posted:

I do agree that the themes get a wee bit muddled when we're forced to pair this up with BvS. I think what Jenkins is trying to go for here is a sense that, yes, Diana did say she walked away from mankind in that film...but that's only a fraction of the story. She can have walked away, but still be fighting. She can have given up on people, but still believe in them. This final act tries its utmost to make it so that it's not an either-or situation, that these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. It almost gets there, with the whole "there is light and darkness and I accept both" compromise. But I think the themes just get that little bit too confused and unclear at the end so that it's not exactly a wholly satisfying conclusion either way.

One way to square this with BvS, particularly how much fun she was clearly having fighting Doomsday, is to read her post-WW1 philosophy as "I will only involve myself in world affairs if I can straightforwardly fix them by slaying a supernatural bad guy."

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Saw it early, loved it. Third act is not as strong as first two acts, but it's not as weak as people in this thread are making it out to be.As a whole, this is leaps and bounds a better movie than every marvel movie (with the exception maybe of winter solider).

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 3, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Seeing this on Tuesday next week. I wanna read all the spoiled stuff so baaad.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Wonder Woman is an average superhero movie, and it is hilarious how it has a 94% RT score. The dialogue was mediocre, the villains were stock villains (holy poo poo), and it had a traditional Snyder-esque CGI third act. It's better than anything DC put out so far, but it is NOT a masterpiece like so many critics are proclaiming it is. This is no Logan or The Dark Knight. Maybe they're afraid to be called sexist or something, who knows—which is a shame, because now they're probably not going to take genuinely good criticisms into account when making the next one.

5/10

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

RedSpider posted:

Wonder Woman is an average superhero movie, and it is hilarious how it has a 94% RT score. The dialogue was mediocre, the villains were stock villains (holy poo poo), and it had a traditional Snyder-esque CGI third act. It's better than anything DC put out so far, but it is NOT a masterpiece like so many critics are proclaiming it is. This is no Logan or The Dark Knight. Maybe they're afraid to be called sexist or something, who knows—which is a shame, because now they're probably not going to take genuinely good criticisms into account when making the next one.

5/10

Yeah no. It's at worse far better than average, and the dialogue was fine.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Doesn't Avengers have like a 93% on RT? I remember feeling vaguely affronted after watching Logan and seeing it had pretty close to the same score as that 'yeah okay?' film, so I guess so.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Joss is all man, baby.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That is by a wide rear end, yawning gulf of a margin the lowest bar for "masterpiece" ever set

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I thought Logan was only okay, the second half felt like a so-so Terminator movie with by the book genre conventions. Just different ones than we usually see in superhero movies. I would've loved an HBO series about Wolverine: Limo Driver though. I didn't find much of note in the second half of that movie. Great performances and well made, just the material itself didn't do much for me in the second half.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RedSpider posted:

Wonder Woman is an average superhero movie, and it is hilarious how it has a 94% RT score.

It is quite funny, maybe it was all the bullet time effects that helped it out.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I'm a big fan of one random mook in a heroic fight scene getting wrecked super hard in particular, so when the Veld scene topped a running knee window smash with a complete demolition of the belltower to take down the sniper it was like having two desserts.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Which reminds me that I don't understand people saying WW doesn't kill anyone, 'cuz yeah those two dudes are super dead.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

teagone posted:

Seeing this on Tuesday next week. I wanna read all the spoiled stuff so baaad.

The spoiler-free summary of all those posts is: The third act is bad. The first is okay. The second is fantastic. BvS kinda screwed up the ability to have a sensible ending that stands on its own. WW punch scenes are good. WW sword fights are bad. Gal Gadot acts much better in WW than in BvS. Chris Pine acts good.

Now avoid any other spoilers.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 3, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Oh wow, I guess this means WW will be forgotten the second one leaves the theater.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

RedSpider posted:

5/10

Aren't you the the dude who just posted a page ago before you even saw the movie, whining about how there's no way the movie justified it's RT score, and suggesting it was a conspiracy?

I'm sure you walked into the movie with no bias at all, and your opinion is well thought out and valuable. We can all pray that the stuido listens to good insightful criticism like "dialogue was mediocre." "the villains were stock villains".

:lol:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Just a reminder, a 6/10 and a 10/10 score count the same in Rotten Tomatoes, and thus I don't know why people come in and post about [movie x]'s score like it's a travesty

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The spoiler-free summary of all those posts is: The third act is bad. The first is okay. The second is fantastic. BvS kinda screwed up the ability to have a sensible ending that stands on its own. WW punch scenes are good. WW sword fights are bad. Gal Gadot acts much better in WW than in BvS. Chris Pine acts good.
Does Chris Pine sing any songs in this movie?

Megasabin posted:

I'm sure you walked into the movie with no bias at all, and your opinion is well thought out and valuable. We can all pray that the stuido listens to good insightful criticism like "dialogue was mediocre." "the villains were stock villains".

:lol:
tbh that is more insightful and clear criticism than what MoS and BvS ever got from notmysupermans and professional critics alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Now avoid any other spoilers.

That's not true. Sword fights are good. First act Great, third act good. A lot of not so thinly veiled sexism in a lot of the criticism

• Locked thread