Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Donald Trump presents an alpha male image but has all along been a 'beta bucks' provider cucked by a top 20% of male attractiveness silver fox chad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

turn off the TV posted:

Lol I remember talking to my old HS teacher at our caucus about how I thought that Bernie was a better candidate because he had a better shot at grabbing independents and people skeptical of elitist politicians, while hardline D's would vote for him regardless.

he would have won over a lot of moderate repubs too

Bernie had the very refreshing message that was not "This is the correct side and the other side is wrong and voting for them makes you wrong!" but more of a "Here are the problems that everybody faces and here is what we need to do to fix them."

sounds crazy but it might just have worked!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I liked Bernie because I lived in Vermont for way too long and have voted for him before and support his policies, but there is no way he wins the nomination and that is sad.

Otoh I've heard that our current president has multiple bankrupt businesses, scammed people out of millions and also divorced multiple times, which is pretty :hmbol: worthy that his supporters ignore that.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tumble posted:

Bernie had the very refreshing message that was not "This is the correct side and the other side is wrong and voting for them makes you wrong!" but more of a "Here are the problems that everybody faces and here is what we need to do to fix them."

For some reason that messaging strategy never seems to play well with the establishment and those candidates get torpedoed during the primaries see also: Howard "YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!" Dean, and that one dude the Bill Clinton campaign buried (who tbh probably never stood a chance anyway but lol just the same)

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Take a second and imagine how different this country would be right now if Bernie had won.

😥

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Tumble posted:

middle-class republicans have the craziest amount of cognitive dissonance

Realtalk: I was at a wedding last month & ended up talking to a Trump supporter. They did not bite me so I am still pure.

Immersed, as we are, in facts; I asked her if she thought Trump's tweet that lost a billion dollars of value to Boeing was the type of reliability that conservatives should countenance. She didn't believe me, and I explained it again and she still didn't believe me and then I was interrupted by some bankers who were smart enough to cut the tension/bullshit.

Like it or not, you probably have some conservative friends or relatives and talking to them is an exhausting exercise in cult-deprogramming & political re-education. I don't know how you deal with a conversation when objective fact & truth becomes a matter of opinion and "belief."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Miners have been losing jobs to the inexorable march of progress since John Henry in the 1800s. How far back are we gonna try to turn the clock to save these jobs??

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Take a second and imagine how different this country would be right now if Bernie had won.

😥

gently caress you :(

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Miners have been losing jobs to the inexorable march of progress since John Henry in the 1800s. How far back are we gonna try to turn the clock to save these jobs??

Maybe if everyone worked as hard as ol John Henry their jobs wouldn't have been mechanized and/or shipped overseas, really makes you think

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny Lowtax posted:

😥

He'd have been stone walled by the legislative branch, and wouldn't have managed to accomplish much unless things changed in 2018

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

still loling

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Maybe if everyone worked as hard as ol John Henry their jobs wouldn't have been mechanized and/or shipped overseas, really makes you think

Also if they all literally work themselves to death in a single night we'd save bigly on healthcare.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Well the healthcare reform will do a good job of making medicine like it was in the 1800s

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Kumo posted:

Realtalk: I was at a wedding last month & ended up talking to a Trump supporter. They did not bite me so I am still pure.

Immersed, as we are, in facts; I asked her if she thought Trump's tweet that lost a billion dollars of value to Boeing was the type of reliability that conservatives should countenance. She didn't believe me, and I explained it again and she still didn't believe me and then I was interrupted by some bankers who were smart enough to cut the tension/bullshit.

Like it or not, you probably have some conservative friends or relatives and talking to them is an exhausting exercise in cult-deprogramming & political re-education. I don't know how you deal with a conversation when objective fact & truth becomes a matter of opinion and "belief."

My aunt voted for trump and does not regret her decision, and recently I had a chance to speak with her about it. Her stance was "if people would leave him alone and let him be president he could do great things."
I followed up by asking if she had read any news about the presidential decisions he's made or if she has even read the tweets or speeches he has brought into the world. Her answer was "no, I don't see the point"

I told her that she needs to look into literally any of this stuff, because the reason he isn't being left alone is because the media is reporting on the stuff he is doing. As president. Because he is the president. And maybe the press has a reason to report heavily on all of his actions. And maybe there is some reason 99% of non-fox reporting on him is negative. And maybe, just maybe, that reason is not because all journalists are mean bullies

She replied with "well, I'm sure if he was given a chance to govern and wasn't being blocked by democrats, he'd do really well and you'd change your mind" so I gave up and just :hmbol:d away

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tumble posted:

That's the problem with politics, it assumes that people are good and work together for a collectively better society, but the world has always shown that people just want to "gently caress you got mine" each other at all levels and classes

Republicans only exist as a thing in 2017 because they made the smart choice to go for idiots/religious/racists and their base is so much easier to stir up by its own evil nature that democrats can't ever win or convince the other side to be rational, because they're inherently irrational people

Bernie would be a great prez but I completely see why he couldn't win

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
like.. you build solar panels where they are most likely to catch the sun?? and coastlines are pretty windy?? and you store that energy for when the conditions arent right??? its not like the energy these things generate goes to waste if it doesnt go straight into a car

my new dog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 2, 2017

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I...I think I miss wubya...

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

my new dog posted:

like.. you build solar panels where they are most likely to catch the sun?? and coastlines are pretty windy?? and you store that energy for when the conditions arent right??? its not like if the energy these things generate goes to waste if it doesnt go straight into a car
If you keep on the Paris Accord that's tantamount to bending over and taking it from those wily Frenchmen.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Kumo posted:

This here is why we can't make progress how do you explain things to someone who will dismiss it because of their feelings about it instead of reality

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Not much different really. He'd face obstruction as bad as anything Obama saw in his final years. Congress would actually be able to pass ObamaCare repeal bills, safe with the knowledge that Bernie would veto them anyway.

Trump hasn't done very much yet. Bernie wouldn't have been able to do very much. It may work out better for the future that Trump is embarrassing the republican party because a progressive president isn't going to mean much as long as there is a tea party congress.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Bernie would have pulled off the rubber mask to reveal that he is, in fact, Trump 2.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

These days when I see Trump's hair I just imagine him being bald and disgusting. It's so easy because that thing on his head doesn't look half-natural

I don't think he's going to be allowed to keep up his Rogaine treatments once he's in prison. He's going to go bald pretty quickly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't think he's going to be allowed to keep up his Rogaine treatments once he's in prison. He's going to go bald pretty quickly.

i love my cucked supervillain prez

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
dont let the bernies in your life slip away from you..

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tiny Lowtax posted:

😥

we'd all be way too high to type

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
lol yeah pointing and laughing at idiot conservatives is about to enter a golden age. Trump gonna burn.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Not much different really. He'd face obstruction as bad as anything Obama saw in his final years. Congress would actually be able to pass ObamaCare repeal bills, safe with the knowledge that Bernie would veto them anyway.

Trump hasn't done very much yet. Bernie wouldn't have been able to do very much. It may work out better for the future that Trump is embarrassing the republican party because a progressive president isn't going to mean much as long as there is a tea party congress.

Yeah this is why Trump being in there is a good thing long term. If Bernie had won republicans would still be loving things up in congress for his term. With Trump in there hopefully poo poo gets so bad that Americans finally see how slimy they are and we do something about it (lol)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Polio Vax Scene posted:

poo poo gets so bad that Americans finally see how slimy they are and we do something about it (lol)

they are screwing with the Internet so that might do it if people's netflix gets throttled or whatever

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

I Was The Fury posted:

"well, I'm sure if he was given a chance to govern and wasn't being blocked by democrats, he'd do really well and you'd change your mind"

Nephew: x = y
System Data: x = z
Nephew: x ≠ z, matrix follows...
System Data: ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR ERROR, System re-initializing...
System Data: x = z

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Just want to chime in with another quick lol and a death to America

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Part of me wants to move back to America

But not yet

Gotta let it fester for a few more years before I make my move

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

I Was The Fury posted:

My aunt voted for trump and does not regret her decision, and recently I had a chance to speak with her about it.

What is even the point of life anymore if you have her mentality? Facts are not believable. Opinion is fact. Feelings are truth. Reality is a lie. You could light a piece of paper in front of her and she'd tell you that paper doesn't burn if Donald Trump had previously said so. She'd argue that it wasn't actually paper or the fire was an illusion because Donald Trump said so. Donald Trump. Donald Tapdancing Trump, the morally bankrupt cheat who lies about misspelling "coverage" on Twitter is basically the voice of God himself to these people.

Someone else in here said it before but I eagerly await the day when Trump is found to genuinely have dementia because I will, with 100% confidence, be able to point and laugh at every single Republican voter because they couldn't tell the difference between a GOP presidential candidate and the insane ramblings of a crazy old man. That probably wouldn't stop them from continuing to vote like their brains have been pureed though.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
People will just say it's a Dem conspiracy and mental illness doesn't exist.

Then Scientology will swoop in..

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Coco Rodreguiz posted:

People will just say it's a Dem conspiracy and mental illness doesn't exist.

I have absolutely no doubt that this would indeed happen and it makes me want to run through the streets screaming because we're being purposely dragged back to the intelligence of cavemen by these people.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Catastrophe posted:

What is even the point of life anymore if you have her mentality? Facts are not believable. Opinion is fact. Feelings are truth. Reality is a lie. You could light a piece of paper in front of her and she'd tell you that paper doesn't burn if Donald Trump had previously said so. She'd argue that it wasn't actually paper or the fire was an illusion because Donald Trump said so. Donald Trump. Donald Tapdancing Trump, the morally bankrupt cheat who lies about misspelling "coverage" on Twitter is basically the voice of God himself to these people.

Someone else in here said it before but I eagerly await the day when Trump is found to genuinely have dementia because I will, with 100% confidence, be able to point and laugh at every single Republican voter because they couldn't tell the difference between a GOP presidential candidate and the insane ramblings of a crazy old man. That probably wouldn't stop them from continuing to vote like their brains have been pureed though.

Unfortunately attacking them would just make them double down even harder on their tribalism.

We're hosed lol

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Catastrophe posted:

What is even the point of life anymore if you have her mentality? Facts are not believable. Opinion is fact. Feelings are truth. Reality is a lie.

Maybe the people who have been denouncing Fox News for almost 20 years weren't misrepresenting the dangers of right wing propaganda masquerading as news.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
What techniques do experts use to bring people back from cults? That seems relevant somehow

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Catastrophe posted:

Someone else in here said it before but I eagerly await the day when Trump is found to genuinely have dementia because I will, with 100% confidence, be able to point and laugh at every single Republican voter because they couldn't tell the difference between a GOP presidential candidate and the insane ramblings of a crazy old man.

this is what a conservative/evangelical engagement photoshoot looks like. they don't live in a world of facts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

That's a pretty big deal when the whole industry is only on the order of 50,000 jobs

To put it in even funnier perspective, there are 100,000 jobs in renewable energy just in the state of Massachusetts alone. So thank god Trump is throwing the world under the bus to keep Big Clean Energy from killing all the coal jobs or whatever that orange fucker thinks is going on. gently caress numbers, MAGA Bitches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

withoutclass posted:

Unfortunately attacking them would just make them double down even harder on their tribalism.

We're hosed lol

We need another Civil War.

Except it would just be southern Republicans trying to shoot at people from their obese--person personal scooters and northern Democrats who think guns are too scary to use. Everything is pathetic. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.