Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
turned on npr on the way home just in time to hear putin, in english, say "don't worry, be happy" to megyn kelly.

lol

i am so broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

According to conspiracy Twitter (which has had a pretty decent record on this stuff so far), they definitely are and were sources of much of the sigint that kicked all this off.

e: everyone spies on everyone, and no one cool likes Trump

I'll bet :10bux: that after it leaked that Trump is using an unsecured phone there is a white unmarked van loaded with GSM snooping equipment parked near the White House.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Rigel posted:

Tester is a weird case. He's a big square-jawed farmer who gives off a tough guy vibe, and he picks his votes carefully. He's one of the first guys to grab a hall pass when the Dems don't need him (but he did vote for the ACA when the Dems had to have his vote). Barely won in 2006 during that big anti-GWB midterm wave, hung on by 3 points during Obama's re-election, and he looks like he might get lucky again in 2018 with another wave.

It seems a lot of Rocky Mountain Dems are lucky fuckers. Bennet's a similar case in Colorado, got appointed after Salazar stepped into an Obama appointment and got challenged by Ken Buck (HFC crazy) in 2010 by the skin of his teeth. Then last year the republicans went off the reservation and nominated a total unknown who had a LOT of baggage and Bennet won again. The luck will end but it's crazy seeing how lucky that motherfucker is, especially for how milquetoast and just unappealing he is.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How much do you want to bet Trump's opsec is so bad the French, British, and Israelis are aiding the FBI investigations?

Have always heard you don't want to make enemies of the Mossad, so if they really were the source of the info Trump leaked to Russia, I can see them wanting to gently caress with him behind the scenes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pander posted:

Why would he pass up a shot at the gov?

2018 - run for senate

If win: Great!
If Lose: 2020 run for gov

Why can't he do both if he loses the senate race?

I imagine he'd be afraid of losing in the primary in 2020 to some other statewide office-holding Republican who can say "pfft, don't vote for that loser, give me the nomination"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

The whole world must come together to stage an intervention for America.

The funny thing about all of this is it's revealing just how weak the US's position has been on the international stage for a long time. Basically the world was willing to entertain them when they claimed to be leading the way forward because hey, they were negotiating in good faith and there was no reason to upset them. Now that that's changed, everyone is tripping over themselves to point out "yeah, actually, you don't matter NEARLY as much as you think; globalism isn't going to die just because you've decided it will. All you've done is given up your seat at the table". Trump, as he often does, has significantly overestimated his position and thus blown another negotiation by assuming that everyone will simply have to acquiesce to his demands because he's holding all the cards.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

business hammocks posted:

Is that better than his other polls or is he sliding?

It's lower.

And he's almost certainly going to lose unless Trump does something to cause a lot of depression among the GOP and rally the Democrats (dropping out of the Paris deal isn't it). The GOP still has plenty of time to focus on the race and even a moderate amount of "HOLY gently caress GET OUT AND VOTE TO STOP THESE DEM COMMIE TRAITORS" is going to get enough turnout to make a Dem win impossible.

It'd be good for Ossof to win because Dems need an actual victory of some kind but I think he's going to lose by 3-5 points when all is said and done.

Trump looks like the fat right wing Toronto mayor who smoked crack (Rob Ford?).

Let's go to Mueller for comment on this news:

https://i.imgur.com/gyIB8T1.gifv

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Rigel posted:

I imagine he'd be afraid of losing in the primary in 2020 to some other statewide office-holding Republican who can say "pfft, don't vote for that loser, give me the nomination"
again though, Gianforte is recent proof that you can lose a statewide election in MT and then later win one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions

The noose tightens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions Get hosed sessions

im cumming.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The funny thing about all of this is it's revealing just how weak the US's position has been on the international stage for a long time.

i dunno if weak is the right word, really it's a disconnect between domestic us rhetoric about it being the bestest country ever and leader of the free world when really it's just first among equals and trump doesn't want to admit he's not the big chief boss man so he's trashing our relationships because reality doesn't match with his fantasy

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The funny thing about all of this is it's revealing just how weak the US's position has been on the international stage for a long time. Basically the world was willing to entertain them when they claimed to be leading the way forward because hey, they were negotiating in good faith and there was no reason to upset them. Now that that's changed, everyone is tripping over themselves to point out "yeah, actually, you don't matter NEARLY as much as you think; globalism isn't going to die just because you've decided it will. All you've done is given up your seat at the table". Trump, as he often does, has significantly overestimated his position and thus blown another negotiation by assuming that everyone will simply have to acquiesce to his demands because he's holding all the cards.

Not really, the US is still the sole remaining superpower and is absolutely dominant in terms of military force projection, economy, tech and innovation, etc.

The rest of the world has just realized our political system is pretty broken and corrupt and we're not a reliable partner.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

It's amazing to me that they apparently don't realize how awful this looks.

Maybe they know Comey has things to say that sound even worse.

Rigel posted:

The senate's going to vote on impeaching trump after Dems take the house in 2018. That's a vote you'd really like to avoid as a republican--you alienate a lot of your base either way. Chaffetz may well have thought the same.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I've thought about this a lot, and as far as I can see, there are basically three possible explanations, all equally terrifying.
1. They know and don't care because they will do anything and everything for immediate temporal power. Nothing matters.
2. They are literally that stupid.
3. They know and don't care because who cares about the ability to win elections if you don't plan on holding elections?

Obviously the first two are the most likely explanations, but still loving terrifying. Trump's already shown us that you don't need to be competent to do enormous damage.

4) Whoever turns against Trump first will get obliterated in the primary and possibly literally fear for their life, so everybody's hoping someone else will cross the line from Deeply Concerned to Actually Organizing A Revolt first. :v:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pander posted:

Why would he pass up a shot at the gov?

2018 - run for senate

If win: Great!
If Lose: 2020 run for gov

Why can't he do both if he loses the senate race?

you generally don't get a second shot when you blow a winnable race, at least not immediately, unless you can self-fund

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skex posted:

I find the whole concept of Alpha/beta when it comes to human social structures to be silly to begin with, We just aren't that kind of animal.

That said I have no doubt that they'd find some way to rationalize it in their minds, after all if the whole "alpha/beta" idea had any actual validity a social group can only have one Alpha, it's kind of the point of the definition so if they were capable of actual logic they'd realize that saying that he's Alpha automatically makes them all betas.

So yeah as long as he's in their Tribe they'll either deny evidence no matter how strong (kind of like they do with literally everything else) or find someway to rationalize their continued support for their leader , after all that's what betas do :biotruths:

Isn't the stupid Alpha/Beta thing not even true for wolves?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

According to conspiracy Twitter (which has had a pretty decent record on this stuff so far), they definitely are and were sources of much of the sigint that kicked all this off.

e: everyone spies on everyone, and no one cool likes Trump

Donnie and his inner circle don't like Sigint because he's black.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pander posted:

again though, Gianforte is recent proof that you can lose a statewide election in MT and then later win one.

Gianforte is extremely wealthy. I assume he opened his wallet and bought his way out of his loss. For normal career politicians, losing a statewide race is usually the end of the road because there's always someone else in the party who is comparable and who hasn't lost yet.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the us purposely overspending on military stuff and subsidizing the national defense of our allies is a great way to wrap up two separate issues

-make friends by giving them free or reduced cost poo poo, like "we will protect you with our massive expensive navy"
-keep the MIC happy by providing a reason to spend buckets of money on expensive poo poo like navies

this hasn't been so important since the cold war ended but the us still way overspends for these reasons. trump is a huge moron so he's trying to send europe a bill all of a sudden. i wonder if this is part of his nouveau riche cheapassedness, like, if you're way wealthier than your friends why wouldn't you treat them well to nice dinners and vacations and the like? that's how you build up an entourage. but suddenly you turn into a greedy poo poo and send them a bill for the steak dinners and weekend getaways and they wont return your calls now gee i wonder why

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. They have a flowing social structure based on the strengths/weaknesses of individual wolves. They're all about succeeding as a team.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Nope. They have a flowing social structure based on the strengths/weaknesses of individual wolves. They're all about succeeding as a team.

In fact, introducing an overly aggressive wolf causes it to be pushed right out of the gene pool since no one from the opposite sex wants an abusive partner.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Lightning Lord posted:

Peg everything to CAD, aka the Party Dollar.

The B^Uck stops here

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elotana posted:

The longer the search goes on the more conspicuous their reluctance to just promote McCabe gets

It's pretty obvious he's just asking them if they'll do what he tells them or not, they're saying no, next candidate.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah it really only applied to wolves in captivity where they got crammed together and forced to share territory. Real wolfpacks are basically just family units

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

RevKrule posted:

It seems a lot of Rocky Mountain Dems are lucky fuckers. Bennet's a similar case in Colorado, got appointed after Salazar stepped into an Obama appointment and got challenged by Ken Buck (HFC crazy) in 2010 by the skin of his teeth. Then last year the republicans went off the reservation and nominated a total unknown who had a LOT of baggage and Bennet won again. The luck will end but it's crazy seeing how lucky that motherfucker is, especially for how milquetoast and just unappealing he is.

I owe my red text avatar to a (trollish) attempt to point out that the Rocky Mountains are pretty distinct politically from other Republican base areas. People who are familiar with states East of the Mississippi and why they are conservative try to extend that to Western Plains/Mountain states, and are surprised when plains and mountain states don't behave like they think they should.

Of course, to the Republican Party, the main base is the South/Appalachia, and the mountain and plains are mostly important in terms of the senate, not in Presidential or House politics.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

business hammocks posted:

The noose tightens.

Literally, if we're lucky. It would be some wonderful irony for that to be the way he meets his end. :heritage:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

glowing-fish posted:

I owe my red text avatar to a (trollish) attempt to point out that the Rocky Mountains are pretty distinct politically from other Republican base areas. People who are familiar with states East of the Mississippi and why they are conservative try to extend that to Western Plains/Mountain states, and are surprised when plains and mountain states don't behave like they think they should.

Of course, to the Republican Party, the main base is the South/Appalachia, and the mountain and plains are mostly important in terms of the senate, not in Presidential or House politics.

are you ok?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

glowing-fish posted:

Your recollection of the mountain derail appears to be flawed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Manchin is in a similar space, I think. The last guy he went up against was your bog-standard crazy HFC guy and Manchin beat him 65-35.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Avirosb posted:

The B^Uck stops here

Foreclosures are harder sometimes on the banks then they are on the property owner.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

are you ok?

He's just having a hard time adjusting to the political culture of New England states like Illinois and Minnesota. It's not his fault he grew up in Montana, tallest mountain in the world and jewel of the North Coast.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If Trump tries to invoke executive privilege to stop comey's testimony, that's saying that it's to protect national security, right? If it didn't do that in any way, and was just being abused to avoid incriminating testimony, isn't that another clear-cut case of obstruction of justice? Bonus question: would comey have to testify about it later if it did?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

skylined! posted:

turned on npr on the way home just in time to hear putin, in english, say "don't worry, be happy" to megyn kelly.

lol

i am so broken

Did anyone catch that interview this morning? Was it worth tracking down at all, or just Putin dangling his nuts in America's face for a while? If the latter is it funny at least

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The funny thing about all of this is it's revealing just how weak the US's position has been on the international stage for a long time.

Nah, we are the foundation of the current status quo. You destroy the foundation and everyone else doesn't rise up. They fall down. Literally nobody does well when we hurt. Not Russia, not China, not anybody. It's good to be the king.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

Haha nah, you got your red text because you were being an idiot. Nice try though

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I just thought it was weird he was poo poo talking mountain chains all over the world without realizing the Rockies get a huge headstart in elevation from being on a plateau.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/870745699503267842

I'm sorry if you're living in an area prone to hurricanes :stare:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I only recognize like six posters on SA and this guy is one of them because of that mountain derail.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

If Trump tries to invoke executive privilege to stop comey's testimony, that's saying that it's to protect national security, right? If it didn't do that in any way, and was just being abused to avoid incriminating testimony, isn't that another clear-cut case of obstruction of justice? Bonus question: would comey have to testify about it later if it did?

It would be a stretch, obstruction requires intent and being wrong about something you legit believed is a defense.

We don't need it though, because our moron president already admitted to obstruction of justice when in an official transcript he bragged to the Russians that he fired Comey for the purpose of stopping the investigation and that he believed the investigation was then over because of the firing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Chard posted:

Did anyone catch that interview this morning? Was it worth tracking down at all, or just Putin dangling his nuts in America's face for a while? If the latter is it funny at least

Is it ever anything but the latter with him?

• Locked thread