Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

It would be a stretch, obstruction requires intent and being wrong about something you legit believed is a defense.

We don't need it though, because our moron president already admitted to obstruction of justice when in an official transcript he bragged to the Russians that he fired Comey for the purpose of stopping the investigation and that he believed the investigation was then over because of the firing.

That doesn't seem like a stretch at all though? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

glowing-fish posted:

I owe my red text avatar to a (trollish) attempt to point out that the Rocky Mountains are pretty distinct politically from other Republican base areas. People who are familiar with states East of the Mississippi and why they are conservative try to extend that to Western Plains/Mountain states, and are surprised when plains and mountain states don't behave like they think they should.

Of course, to the Republican Party, the main base is the South/Appalachia, and the mountain and plains are mostly important in terms of the senate, not in Presidential or House politics.

I'm pretty sure you got it for saying that the Appalachian Mountains aren't actually moutains.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

glowing-fish posted:

Of course, to the Republican Party, the main base is the South/Appalachia, and the mountain and plains are mostly important in terms of the senate, not in Presidential or House politics.

its because the mountain and plain states are empty and have next to no electoral votes

idaho, montana, wyoming, and both dakotas have as many electoral votes as georgia, and georgia's population increase was slightly greater than all five of those states between 2010 and 2017. texas alone is more valuable to the republicans than the entire republican midwest

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 2, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CrazySalamander posted:

As much as I hate to admit it, it is a legitimate problem in our electrical grid. When the electric potential isn't used, it just gets wasted.

I'm aware, I actually used to write software for the power trading floor of a big utility. (I'm guessing you know this already, but for those that don't a shitton of power does actually get traded off to neighboring utilities, its actually pretty interesting how they react to even a single degree fluctuation in anticipated temperature)

HIs oversimplification is still the kind of dumbass folksy "logic" that drives me batshit, and a strawman as well.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 2, 2017

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

what will trump's base say when a hurricane obliterates southern coastal states and there's no leader in FEMA or NOAA.

will he try to blame it on the dems? something like "they keep blocking my picks!" will he make no statement and then send spicer out to not answer questions about it?

this madness ends somewhere. it might end on glowing-fish's front lawn as floodwaters draw deep into montana and threaten his mountain-top log cabin.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

empty whippet box posted:

If Trump tries to invoke executive privilege to stop comey's testimony, that's saying that it's to protect national security, right? If it didn't do that in any way, and was just being abused to avoid incriminating testimony, isn't that another clear-cut case of obstruction of justice? Bonus question: would comey have to testify about it later if it did?

No, executive privilege is that the executive shouldn't have to answer subpoenas that impact advice given to the president, because then he wouldn't get good advice. It is unclear how you could stretch that to "don't tell congress how the President ordered you to end your investigation."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

what will trump's base say when a hurricane obliterates southern coastal states and there's no leader in FEMA or NOAA.

will he try to blame it on the dems? something like "they keep blocking my picks!" will he make no statement and then send spicer out to not answer questions about it?

this madness ends somewhere. it might end on glowing-fish's front lawn as floodwaters draw deep into montana and threaten his mountain-top log cabin.

"Feels so good to die! Kek!"

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Jesus Christ. That was awful.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Dems blocked my pick" will be the first defense, even when its pointed out its a blatant lie.

"The state should have been better prepared" will probably be where they land but there could also be some basic "we did a great job and the media is just lying."

The question is will Republican Senators and Congressmen rebel if its their areas being left to rot?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"what hurricane"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Probably. Trump's #1 MO thus far whenever anything goes wrong is that it was always someone else's fault, even when it was directly and provably because of something he did (or didn't do that he was supposed to). His base will still eat it up because they know deep down that somehow even the weather is the Democrats' fault.

They might also blame it on the gays since that seems to be a favorite excuse for natural disasters.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zil posted:

Foreclosures are harder sometimes on the banks then they are on the property owner.

Source your quotes

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

I owe my red text avatar to a (trollish) attempt to point out that the Rocky Mountains are pretty distinct politically from other Republican base areas. People who are familiar with states East of the Mississippi and why they are conservative try to extend that to Western Plains/Mountain states, and are surprised when plains and mountain states don't behave like they think they should.

Yes, the Mountain West is distinct from Appalachia. What a stunning insight!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

empty whippet box posted:

That doesn't seem like a stretch at all though? :confused:

The argument I'd make as Trump's lawyer was that he was discussing the proper allocation of limited discretionary resources with Comey, and its really none of Congress's business because the president is entitled to frank, open conversations with his staff to get the best advice without having to worry that it'll be on a CNN chyron someday.

National security is definitely one way to assert executive privilege, but its not the only way. The courts have also recognized that the president should be able to have a conversation like "ok, this may sound nuts and I'm just spit-balling here, but what if we do this?" "No Mr. president, that would be a really bad idea because of X, Y, and Z." "Oh, ok, we won't do that then" without worrying that it'll be used against him and his party someday by political adversaries. In Nixon's case, the court ruled that the president is usually entitled to private conversations that congress can't dig through for political reasons *unless* we're talking about potential crimes, then the public's interest to know that the president isn't breaking the law outweighs the president's need for candor with his staff.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

boner confessor posted:

its because the mountain and plain states are empty and have next to no electoral votes

idaho, montana, wyoming, and both dakotas have as many electoral votes as georgia, and georgia's population increase was slightly greater than all five of those states between 2010 and 2017. texas alone is more valuable to the republicans than the entire republican midwest

If Texas by some miracle turned Blue, the Republican party would be through as a viable political entity. Sadly my state is full of crazy people though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I hope it wrecks Mar-A-Lago (but leaves the surrounding area untouched)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't the stupid Alpha/Beta thing not even true for wolves?

It isn't, but it IS a thing for primates, which we are.

That doesn't mean that humans actually have alphas and betas, but whether or not wolves have it is completely irrelevant.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Is obstruction of justice, even with undeniable proof, even a problem? Is there any mechanism for making that actually matter that won't end in all three Republican-dominated branches of our government coming together in an unanimous "LOL, we don't care, red team means he can do as he pleases."

I don't mean this in a "nothing matters" way, I'm just unclear about who has the power to make this sort of thing matter in a direct way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Chard posted:

Did anyone catch that interview this morning? Was it worth tracking down at all, or just Putin dangling his nuts in America's face for a while? If the latter is it funny at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nVGgoOT6s

I like no one in this argument so I can't even find it funny. You might, I can't say.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They don't care.

Remember after Sandy when the GOP was demanding that hurricane relief for NY/NJ was paid for and they held that hostage for some time?

Or how the Trump admin has denied hurricane relief to NC from last year?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

It's entirely true.....for wolves in captivity that have been treated poorly and driven half crazy. Otherwise the "Alpha" pair is the parents, and the "Beta" wolves are their children. So wanting to be an "Alpha male" is saying you want to tell dad jokes and have a sensible mortgage.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Source your quotes
it's related to the Loss comic.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Robot Hobo posted:

Is obstruction of justice, even with undeniable proof, even a problem? Is there any mechanism for making that actually matter that won't end in all three Republican-dominated branches of our government coming together in an unanimous "LOL, we don't care, red team means he can do as he pleases."

I don't mean this in a "nothing matters" way, I'm just unclear about who has the power to make this sort of thing matter in a direct way.

I guess it'd depend on how clearly it can be communicated.

If it's pretty clear and obvious, and nothing happens, then hopefully dems can take the house in 2018 based on "holy poo poo we need to oust our awful criminal president". From there, impeachment proceedings that, at the very least, mangle any political capital Trump's got left and leaves the GOP fractured.

He'd probably resign at some point if the Dems retake the house, because there are literally no winning paths for him after that. Ryan serving him up softball legislation and watering down all the house committees with faces friendly to Trump is the only reason they can enact their agenda. Best case scenario for Trump would be gridlock, and worst would be impeachment (with or without conviction).

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skex posted:

If Texas by some miracle turned Blue, the Republican party would be through as a viable political entity. Sadly my state is full of crazy people though.

The GOP as it is currently constructed with its current platform, sure. But parties exist to win elections, I'd imagine the GOP would wander around in the political wilderness for a while and eventually when they realize they are too evil to win anymore, the party would figure out how far back they need to dial back on the evil to win again.

If we were in a horrible bizarro world where the country is getting more and more conservative with no end in sight, we'd probably snap and go "this is bullshit, I'm tired of losing. OK, I know this sucks, but how far to the right do we have to move. OK, lets just loving do it then."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My German wife informed me that Keks means cookie in German so Kekistan just sounds like a country of cookies.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9nVGgoOT6s

I like no one in this argument so I can't even find it funny. You might, I can't say.

:tipshat: Didn't realize it was a larger panel. Pretty smug Russians laughing, if that's anyone's bag

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

And their favorite Red Pill thing comes from a pair of transgendered filmmakers. Truly, the MRA Alt-Right Sad White Remnant is the most compromised of the resurgent social movements.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yeah, reading through US v. Nixon, I see no legitimate basis to argue that executive privilege allows the President to block a subordinate from voluntary testimony, and that would be obviously unconstitutional under the 1st amendment as well

it's purely a way to tell congress to go gently caress itself when congress issues a subpoena, trying to compel disclosure

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Robot Hobo posted:

In the end, impeachment is political. At some point if we are in the impeachment timeline, it'll only happen because they lost a lot of seats in 2018 and are staring down the barrel of a 2020 wipeout which would be an especially bad year for a wave because they could get banished into gerrymandering hell for a decade like they did to the Democrats after 2010.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TildeATH posted:

And their favorite Red Pill thing comes from a pair of transgendered filmmakers. Truly, the MRA Alt-Right Sad White Remnant is the most compromised of the resurgent social movements.

at least the fight club guy aint no human being beta oh wait

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
And "snowflake" comes from a lefty gay from Portland.

--holy poo poo beaten

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rigel posted:

In the end, impeachment is political. At some point if we are in the impeachment timeline, it'll only happen because they lost a lot of seats in 2018 and are staring down the barrel of a 2020 wipeout which would be an especially bad year for a wave because they could get banished into gerrymandering hell for a decade like they did to the Democrats after 2010.

Which would probably still happen if they impeached.

I think they're all kinda praying he strokes out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

glowing-fish posted:

Nah, you got it because you said there were literally no mountains anywhere in the US except for the Rockies. It was really funny though! No hard feelings :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/870745699503267842

I'm sorry if you're living in an area prone to hurricanes :stare:

He couldn't find someone to head FEMA that also doesn't believe Federal-level emergencies happen and/or Hurricanes exist, I take it?

EDIT: Wasn't it Katrina that tanked Dubya? And FEMA was just incompetently led then, not completely leaderless.

:getin:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Night10194 posted:

Which would probably still happen if they impeached.

I think they're all kinda praying he strokes out.

Yeah, the timeline where the GOP actually provides the needed votes in the Senate to remove Trump from office is pretty grim for the GOP. It would have to be a situation where they think they are pretty hosed if they get rid of Donald, but they know for sure they are hosed if they keep defending Donald, and they'd be praying that the MAGA idiots will understand and turn out for Pence.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

If we were in a horrible bizarro world where the country is getting more and more conservative with no end in sight, we'd probably snap and go "this is bullshit, I'm tired of losing. OK, I know this sucks, but how far to the right do we have to move. OK, lets just loving do it then."

I've got some bad news about the thread consensus. :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rigel posted:

The GOP as it is currently constructed with its current platform, sure. But parties exist to win elections, I'd imagine the GOP would wander around in the political wilderness for a while and eventually when they realize they are too evil to win anymore, the party would figure out how far back they need to dial back on the evil to win again.

This is what lead to Clinton and third wayism. It was a reaction to the Democrats only winning the presidency once between between 1968 and 1992

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Rigel posted:

OK be pedantic, I suppose I should have said the Republican Party as it currently exists would cease to be a viable political entity. Since the general political shift through history has been for conservatives to pick up the discarded ideologies and programs of the left, they're replacement would likely be like the Centrist Democrats of today and we could probably find some actual common ground with them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Snuffman posted:

He couldn't find someone to head FEMA that also doesn't believe Federal-level emergencies happen and/or Hurricanes exist, I take it?

EDIT: Wasn't it Katrina that tanked Dubya? And FEMA was just incompetently led then, not completely leaderless.

:getin:

I kinda got to say, much as I lust for Donald going down in flames, I'm not really hype for watching entire communities get devastated like Katrina did to New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Guys just hold on, I think we're forgetting something important here:

Us talking about Trump using executive power to block Comey's testimony is just more "Trumpgate" hysteria on our part. Frankly, us even acknowledging it has retroactively caused Trump to beat Hillary Clinton last November.

• Locked thread