Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BULBASAUR posted:

Baby Marines will still be around in 30k.

My hamstradamus prediction is that 40k is going to be a distinctly new game. Bigger models, different rules, crazy fluff. 30k will be the more familiar baby marines and templates.

Baby marines for the babies who play 30k

fucken blammo

e: excellent snype imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

With all the leaked rules so far is it technically possible to start playing games of 8th edition?

Has anyone in the thread tried this?

Yeah it should be possible, although some things may need to be FAQ'd regardless

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is asking for the latest leaked rulebooks :filez: or is that OK since the product technically isn't even on sale yet

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Is asking for the latest leaked rulebooks :filez: or is that OK since the product technically isn't even on sale yet

It'll be a bad idea, since they're current products.

My store's running a couple of demos tomorrow, so I'll do a trip report if anyone's interested.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
There's a few ambiguous things worthy of a FAQ, but everything needed to play 8E right now is out there.

I've already painted up all the missing models and magnetised weapons for the first list I want to try.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

goose willis posted:

With all the leaked rules so far is it technically possible to start playing games of 8th edition?

Miniwargaming is going to post a couple of 8th edition battle reports tomorrow.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

goose willis posted:

They've been posted in the thread before, as long as people aren't being annoying about it no one cares.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B4IGo22sDo4zdEtrRmEyelg2TkU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

chutche2 posted:

So are we clear yet on if having a chainsword lets you take an additional chainsword attack even if you didn't use any of your attacks on it

How else did you expect this to work.

It's pretty clear from what I can tell that you take your normal attacks and allocate however the hell you want, and then chuck an extra dice in there that uses chainsword stats.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

ANAmal.net posted:

It's pretty clear from what I can tell that you take your normal attacks and allocate however the hell you want, and then chuck an extra dice in there that uses chainsword stats.

Sure, but people in this thread have argued you need to allocate one of your attacks to it first to use its abilities. So there has been discussion.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

They will never release another old style marine model again for 40k.
Forgeworld will do whatever.

oh nooooo that means they'll never update uh, scouts I guess

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh nooooo that means they'll never update uh, scouts I guess

I've actually been really curious about the scout kit since the bigmarines were announced. It's probably the single space marine kit most in need of an update, but have no idea if scouts are even going to be a thing moving forward.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

goose willis posted:

My friend and I are going to give it a go tomorrow afternoon, but we are doing it more as a test to get familiar with the rules than treating it as a real game.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

ANAmal.net posted:

Yup.

The wording is that whenever you fight you make an additional attack with the chainsword.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ANAmal.net posted:

Given that the rule says "Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon." it seems pretty clear that you don't need to allocate any attacks to the weapon to gain the benefit. So I agree.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given that the rule says "Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon." it seems pretty clear that you don't need to allocate any attacks to the weapon to gain the benefit. So I agree.

I agree too. There was just other people arguing differently and I was wondering if there was a consensus yet.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chutche2 posted:

I agree too. There was just other people arguing differently and I was wondering if there was a consensus yet.

I, too, agree. We have consensed it.

Whoever was making that argument isn't reading the thread right now, we just vote without them and bam.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The way I see it, a cool model I want to one day paint doesn't stop my other cool models being cool.
No it does, it totally does. As soon as an unpainted, unprimed, hastily-assembled bigly marine hits the table, Nelson Munt is going to walk by, point at your lovingly converted, exquisitely painted, thematically-based teeny Space Marine army and say, "Ha, ha!"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

I've actually been really curious about the scout kit since the bigmarines were announced. It's probably the single space marine kit most in need of an update, but have no idea if scouts are even going to be a thing moving forward.

it's pretty much the only one and it doesn't seem like they were in a rush to update it even before bigmarines came out

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
There's this knee-jerk reaction I get when someone says that kits like, say, scouts or aspect warriors are super old and need an update.

I'm like "but they just came out with those!"

Then I realize that they're over a decade old and I realize how much of my life I wasted on this hobby.

Its like the Gladiator realization but goonier :smith:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So Hand Flamers are Pistol D3 autohit weapons that can be fired while in melee now, huh. Finally it's fun to be a Blood Angel again.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If any of you spergs live in Maryland the Bowie Warhammer store (not Games Workshop) is pretty decent. The guy running it is friendly and is trying to set up a community.

Yeah, I was there a few weeks ago, he's super chill. It's a bummer the store had to move since the old location had a ludicrous amount of tables.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Then I realize that they're over a decade old and I realize how much of my life I wasted on this hobby.

Its like the Gladiator realization but goonier :smith:

You mean like... the movie Gladiator? That just came out in.... *sees it was 17 years ago*

To keep it on-topic, imagine I used the same reaction image to something in 8th edition people don't like.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The grey area is because the Fight rules say that step 4 is "Choose Melee Weapon" and mentions that "If a model has more than one melee weapon and can make several close combat attacks, it can split its attacks between these weapons. . . "

The Chainsword says "Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon" which implies that to make an *additional* attack with the weapon you have to have made at least one attack with it in the first place.

There are a bunch of other weapons that have the "Each time the bearer fights it can make X additional attacks with this weapon" and they have different S, AP, and D values from the Chainsword (which is just user stats D1.)

I mean, rules as written, it does state that "Each time the bearer fights" for all those weapons, so you could argue that they give you free attacks just for having them, but I think they meant that you have to have *chosen* to use the weapon to get the benefit of its special rule.

I'm not going to choose Chainswords as my hill to die on, but, say Lasher Tendrils: -2 AP D2 D6 additional attacks each time the bearer fights is where I'd like to raise my hand for clarification from the GW gods.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

You mean like... the movie Gladiator? That just came out in.... *sees it was 17 years ago*

Wayne's World was 25 years ago :corsair:

Ugh, I'm changing jobs and one of my major regrets is this place is legit and would care if I painted minis at my desk. Best perk of the old place :/ No idea if I'll ever get the 8th Ed starter painted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xarlaxas posted:

The grey area is because the Fight rules say that step 4 is "Choose Melee Weapon" and mentions that "If a model has more than one melee weapon and can make several close combat attacks, it can split its attacks between these weapons. . . "

The Chainsword says "Each time the bearer fights, it can make 1 additional attack with this weapon" which implies that to make an *additional* attack with the weapon you have to have made at least one attack with it in the first place.

There are a bunch of other weapons that have the "Each time the bearer fights it can make X additional attacks with this weapon" and they have different S, AP, and D values from the Chainsword (which is just user stats D1.)

I mean, rules as written, it does state that "Each time the bearer fights" for all those weapons, so you could argue that they give you free attacks just for having them, but I think they meant that you have to have *chosen* to use the weapon to get the benefit of its special rule.

I'm not going to choose Chainswords as my hill to die on, but, say Lasher Tendrils: -2 AP D2 D6 additional attacks each time the bearer fights is where I'd like to raise my hand for clarification from the GW gods.

I disagree with your argument of an implication. I can understand it, but "additional" attacks as I see it refers to the number of attacks that the model is making in the Fight phase. An Ork Boy gets 2 attacks, and if he has a choppa he gets an additional attack with that choppa. That additional attack has no bearing on the original phase. If the choppa required that the model make an attack with the choppa to get an extra attack then it would say so. A good example of this is the Ravenous Maw, which specifies that it must be used to get the benefit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BirdieBedtime posted:

Yeah, I was there a few weeks ago, he's super chill. It's a bummer the store had to move since the old location had a ludicrous amount of tables.

Yeah. If you want to get a game in there sometime let me know; he's really trying to get the community involved again.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I disagree with your argument of an implication. I can understand it, but "additional" attacks as I see it refers to the number of attacks that the model is making in the Fight phase. An Ork Boy gets 2 attacks, and if he has a choppa he gets an additional attack with that choppa. That additional attack has no bearing on the original phase. If the choppa required that the model make an attack with the choppa to get an extra attack then it would say so. A good example of this is the Ravenous Maw, which specifies that it must be used to get the benefit.

You have a good point there, that "wargear" is written similarly to some of the Khorne weapons, so they probably did have the intention of "this gives extra attacks" and "this gives extra attacks when you use it."

I still think an FAQ answer to the question would be useful to put it to rest, but I'll join the general consensus then.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

goose willis posted:

A buddy and I will be playing tomorrow. Nids vs Chaos marines. Will give a bet rep.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

A buddy and I will be playing tomorrow. Nids vs Chaos marines. Will give a bet rep.

I'm playing vs Necrons tomorrow, and doing a campaign game Sunday. I'll do bat reps for both, and will be streaming Sunday's game on Twitch. May also stream tomorrow's game. Haven't decided.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd say that "Each time bearer fights" means "when this model is selected to fight in an assault" whatever other attacks they make, they get an additional attack with the chainsword. I could hit you with a powerfist twice, using 2A and also get to swing the chainsword.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xarlaxas posted:

I still think an FAQ answer to the question would be useful to put it to rest, but I'll join the general consensus then.

One of us... one of us...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Kind of funny how some things are already muddled least they may faq that'd be the real test.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
My friend is trying to put together an 8th list for Orks and he has a somewhat interesting question. Boyz are 6 points each, and Nobz are 17 points each. So do you need to pay 17 points to get the Boss Nob in a Boyz squad, even though it has worse stats than a Nob?

EDIT: I guess must be, because if you look at power it's 5 power for the initial 10 but only 4 power for every 10 after that, there is an extra power weighted into the nob?

Salynne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 3, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

General Olloth posted:

My friend is trying to put together an 8th list for Orks and he has a somewhat interesting question. Boyz are 6 points each, and Nobz are 17 points each. So do you need to pay 17 points to get the Boss Nob in a Boyz squad, even though it has worse stats than a Nob?

EDIT: I guess must be, because if you look at power it's 5 power for the initial 10 but only 4 power for every 10 after that, there is an extra power weighted into the nob?

I think the Boss Nob is the squad leader, and counts as a Boy. A regular Nob is its own unit/model.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

The Bee posted:

I think the Boss Nob is the squad leader, and counts as a Boy. A regular Nob is its own unit/model.

Orks have had bad rules for so long I'm going to go with this answer is good enough for me until proven otherwise. Take the 11 points off, buddy. :shobon:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The extra power is because it can take a powerfist but it's the only one who can.

Most squad member upgrades are free now. Only ones that aren't that I've seen are the Wolf Guard Leader in Terminator armor and the various unit types you can add to a Deathwatch Kill Team.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

It says elsewhere that squad leaders are free.

Check my post history; I put together a few example lists.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Built a Blood Angels 1500 point list in the new points system.

Battalion Detachment

HQ:
Terminator Captain w/Thunder Hammer and Storm Bolter
Jump Chaplain w/ Hand Flamer

Troops:
Tac Squad w/10 Marines, Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Power Sword (Sergeant), Hand Flamer (Sergeant)
Tac Squad w/5 Marines, Heavy Flamer
Tac Squad w/5 Marines, Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack:
Assault Squad w/10 Marines, Jump Packs, 2x Flamer, Plasma Pistol (Sergeant), Thunder Hammer (Sergeant), Combat Shield (Sergeant)

Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought w/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Blood Talons, Magna Grapple
Furioso Dreadnought w/Frag Cannon, Meltagun, Furioso Fist, Magna Grapple

Heavy Support:
Baal Predator w/Twin Assault Cannon, 2x Heavy Flamer, Storm Bolter

Dedicated Transport:
Razorback w/Twin Lascannon

I am slightly worried about having to footslog all the way with just about everyone, but at the same time the general change in templates means I'm not nearly as worried about losing entire squads to a single pie plate without an armored box. The Dreads are the heavy anti-armor units, with 8" move plus Meltaguns (which can still be fired during an Advance for between 9-14" moved) and Magna Grapples to help ensure charges happen like they should. Not being able to take a Drop Pod doesn't feel that bad when you can cover half that much distance and do it still shooting. Heavy Flamers being Heavy in this edition sucks, but having 8" move without Advancing helps. The Baal Predator is all about throwing obscene amounts of dice in something's general direction. The Razorback is basically there to let me pretend I care about my troops, and also to spam Lascannon shots at something I don't like.

I try to keep things as WYSIWYG as I can, hence some of the weird choices on the Assault Sergeant. Currently using a Power Maul as a counts-as Thunder Hammer, because finding a place for 17 extra points is a daunting exercise.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
mods

• Locked thread