Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

2000 Spiderman

Oh my gently caress is he going to use the planetarium to project a non full moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All

Zits

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Up through eigth grade the last week of school has been a complete waste for my kids, they may as well have started summer vacation early.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Okay, this is one small thing that's always pissed me off about nu-Nancy. What the gently caress newspaper has daily motivations? Is that even a thing? They don't have those. They have daily horoscopes, which I imagine Gilchrist thinks is akin to witchcraft and won't dare touch. So he made up this nonsensical "motivations" instead.

Or maybe "daily motivations" are really a thing and I'm an idiot.

B.C.

Baldo

That little girl is carrying a body.

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

random Wallace

Curtis

Baby Blues

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Exactly what you expect to see in an adventure story staring a group of plucky pre-teen detectives: weird sex club.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I care a lot more than I would've expected about Gunk's eyes not being stacked vertically.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

...and the pitch! posted:

If anyone was old enough to remember Don Adams
If you live somewhere where Get Smart hasn't been on continuous reruns since it ended, I pity you.

Vargo posted:

Okay, this is one small thing that's always pissed me off about nu-Nancy. What the gently caress newspaper has daily motivations?
The same one that has two pages of full-colour pictures of random cartoon characters not doing anything.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
Beholders are not mythical. In real life they're fictional and in D&D they're real, in no place, time or reality are they mythical. :colbert:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also, why are you explaining beholders in your nerd pandering bullshit?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 1, 1995)

Garfield Classic (June 1, 1985)

Tiggum posted:

If you live somewhere where Get Smart hasn't been on continuous reruns since it ended, I pity you.

I've mentioned here before that I'm pretty crazy about older TV, so I won't go into a full-blown derail about the business of reruns, but yeah, the way reruns were/are distributed and aired has a real effect on culture: the reason Simpsons Shitposting is so good, for example, is not only because the show was a rich mine of jokes, references, and imagery, but because most of the people creating and sharing those shitposts grew up at a time during which watching (at least) an hour of Simpsons reruns (most of which are from, arguably, the "golden" era of The Simpsons, because that show evolved out of being at its very best right around the time those rerun blocks became less viable and ubiquitous) every day was pretty much a foregone conclusion. After cable TV exploded, all the reruns (e.g. the shows one tends to think of when one tends to think of "reruns," not necessarily just any old TV) migrated from free-to-air local syndicated channels to specialized cable networks; shows like Get Smart, for example, stopped being something everyone had seen at least once while channel surfing through a handful of channels during non-prime time, to something one had to actively seek out amid the galaxy of 24/7 programming on offer. This is also why Gilchrist, when further milking that "wasn't everything better in the past" cow, is an idiot for showing Sluggo watching old sitcoms on a set equipped with nothing more than beat-up rabbit ears: that kid is way more likely to be watching, on that setup, the sort of cheaply-produced (quasi-) non-scripted crap playing whenever you're in a waiting room.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Safety Dance posted:

"My father was young, much like my brother is now. Ergo, father is a brother."

Mafalda did it better, IMO:

-Mom, who is this girlie?
-That's me!
-Why did you hid the fact... that you were my sister!?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dethany

but I laughed

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I had to look this up to make sure that it wasn't an edit. How is this supposed to be interpreted? That their father is also their brother via some incest?

That their father, when younger, looks like their brother Billy. That's how I see it anyway.

"No. I'm just going to the cemetery." There. Now you can't feel like a martyr.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I would imagine a LOT of people who are regular Comp-u-toon readers do.

Like me.

:corsair:

Of course!

He was the voice of Inspector Gadget. :D

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The Bloop posted:

Dethany

but I laughed

goddammit there goes my editing* cred

*in "Comic Strip Megathread"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
B.C.

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Wallace the Brave

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
ohmygod i actually liked that nancy...

but also imagined it edited with the second half of that Hi and Lois strip with the closed down bookstore

goatface posted:

Also, why are you explaining beholders in your nerd pandering bullshit?

Intelligent Life guy doesn't want anybody who's just starting to become a geek to feel left out :shobon:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I was lucky enough to get to see them in the mid 80s.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I know I've said this before, but Christ it bugs the hell out of me that this strip always puts the post-punchline "stinger" before the punchline.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I've said this before, but Christ it bugs the hell out of me that this strip always puts the post-punchline "stinger" before the punchline.

I'm not sure why but I always naturally read it in the intended order. Perhaps the large colourful main panel draws the eye so much that it's easy to miss the title card panel?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

lil' bitsssss

King Aroo (March 6, 1952)

Nancy (April 24, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 21, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 19, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 18, 1937)

Barney Google (January 20, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 21, 1934)

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

These are very good lately, I'm enjoying the out of the box approach.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Alright, I'm just going to come out and say it - at least I can hope the next writer won't drag out a fake death tease for so loving long.

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids Meets Gene Shalit

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm not sure why but I always naturally read it in the intended order. Perhaps the large colourful main panel draws the eye so much that it's easy to miss the title card panel?

Same.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

How much manga are you reading on a daily basis? :v:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Alright, I'm just going to come out and say it - at least I can hope the next writer won't drag out a fake death tease for so loving long.

Maybe DePaul will pull a John Darling and take Phantom out with him.

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

To think this was my daily hate read long before Luann was a blip on my radar. Ces has done such a good job turning it around.

The Heart of Juliet Jones

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Opus 01-04-2004

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Are you loving kidding me

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is a distracted driver.

Working Daze is a repeat.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is the return of some old friends.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

One thing that makes me sad about Opus now and then is that my Aunt bought me an Opus book when I was too young to appreciate it. It wasn't a collection of comics, IIRC it was just one story, but probably 11 or whatever stupid age year old me was like I do not care about this ugly penguin, and I think I donated the book.

Now I will need to look for it in the crawlspace and see if we still have it.

It was this book. It was definitely this book.

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 3, 2017

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Edda's garlic breath appears to have frightened her poor dog.

Pibgorn

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alt-right grave-robbers was not where I expected this Dick Tracy convention storyline to go.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Are you loving kidding me

loving incredible

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ah yes, antisemitism as delicately tackled by the furry drawn and written Dick Tracey

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I guess at least they're not Nazi furries? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bobulus posted:

Alt-right grave-robbers was not where I expected this Dick Tracy convention storyline to go.

I'm going to be honest, I didn't either, I was expecting that to be the lead in to some new scam and was curious how it was supposed to work.

Aren't these characters from another comic?

• Locked thread