Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I appreciate you being direct thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kung fu has a pretty funny av imo

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Kung fu has a pretty funny av imo

:kiddo:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
All opinions are wrong.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I like when everyone can get along.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

All opinions are wrong.

except for mine: GW is kewl

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Im curious if all those missiles and boxes are actually a part of the hull or if they are options that the model-builder was just like "Well I gotta show off everything..."

Look at all those missile pods and all I can think of is how much they look like beer coolers.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm alive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nak84xHAcds

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Captain Invictus posted:

That's an insane deal as far as army bundles go in miniatures games. That's a little over 2 dollars per figure, including 3 Striders, 8 jetbikes and an aircraft. That's a helluva deal if someone's looking to pick up an army on the cheap.

edit: ahahaha, I haven't paid attention to games workshop crap in years. loogiddis poo poo.

$128 USD:

$85 USD:

$411 USD:

boggles the god damned mind how GW is still around.

Also for the same price

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like space america and dorf station are their strongest sculpts. I want to like their not-eldar but they're mostly robots and those robots are naf.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

NTRabbit posted:

Also for the same price

Just imagine a world where Mantic players could be found in the average random FLGS. Too bad they damaged their relationship with retailers so severely with Kickstarter. Oh well, maybe next Kharmic cycle.

Maybe one day I will get to try KoW. :unsmith:

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Sir Teabag posted:

GW and 40K are also heavily dependent on brand recognition.

If CB had released Infinity with the rules for 8th Edition 40K instead of releasing Infinity, they would have crashed. In terms of nerds that are into sci-fi table top gaming Warhammer and 40K are just as driven by brand recognition as X-wang is. The biggest difference is that FFG has the resources to market X-Wang and push it out in less niche stores.

E: ALthough as I mentioned - my college sells Warhammer, Magic and a few board games. So GW isn't without it's reach either! (It's just not as long)

Yeah but we're coming full circle now back to the point that the market leader has other factors in their favour which allow them to maintain their position other than "give x away for free." FFG have succeeded where PP, Mantic, Wyrd etc. have failed because they're a business with real clout who had the resources to a) acquire a recognisable licence and b) gain market access to push the game hard. Also as someone said above, X-wing involves far less assembly/painting than a lot of other wargames, and spaceship combat is very different to "28mm-ish infantry skirmish."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW is insanely good

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Mantic is apparently doing really well with its licensed Walking Dead game.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
$10

$10

$10

$9

It boggles my loving mind how GW are still around.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

Mantic is apparently doing really well with its licensed Walking Dead game.
They're doing well but if your standards for success are high enough to declare PP a failure then it's still not well enough.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TTerrible posted:

$10

$10

$10

$9

It boggles my loving mind how GW are still around.

what are you doing?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moola posted:

what are you doing?

I don't understand the question :(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've never called PP a failure.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

what are you doing?

He's overpaying for sandwiches.

Also who still eats carbs/gluten? Lol.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
carbs gluten are good and cool

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Moola posted:

carbs gluten are good and cool

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what the gently caress is milk bread?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've never called PP a failure.
No but Corrode did.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Terrible Opinions posted:

No but Corrode did.

I said they'd failed to knock GW off the #1 spot, which is true. That doesn't make the company a failure.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Okay I misunderstood.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wyrd does a thing where they offer an extra free model in packs if you buy them from a flgs. Their products can be easily obtained by asking your flgs for them. The problem is that they aren't big enough for stores to stock. Which is a shame.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The stocking problem is a big issue for all miniature games. Miniatures take up substantial space and most games don't sell all that well, but to support a game you need to have most factions available at all times. This means that most retail places will only stock the biggest companies they can.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola posted:

what the gently caress is milk bread?

He's a weirdy Euro that likes weirdy things man.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Also for the same price

My favorite ones are the not terminators, the not marines, the not guardsmen, the not thunderfire cannons, the not dreadnoughts, and the not Sicaran

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hixson posted:

My favorite ones are the not terminators, the not marines, the not guardsmen, the not thunderfire cannons, the not dreadnoughts, and the not Sicaran

I know Marines have hilariously bad proportions, but these are actually dwarves

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The troll would have been better if he called them not-Catachans, but he cast too wide a net.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hixson posted:

you typed a lot of words when you couldve typed "not squats" and been more relevant

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

LordAba posted:

Wyrd does a thing where they offer an extra free model in packs if you buy them from a flgs. Their products can be easily obtained by asking your flgs for them. The problem is that they aren't big enough for stores to stock. Which is a shame.

Also the "send us receipt for spending X amount at your FLGS and we'll send you a model"

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Because gw came up with space marines an everything else is a not-(whatever) even though gw marines are knock offs of judge dredd. Good try though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Did you know that the land raider is called that because it was invented by Arkhan Land? vomiting-marine.gif

Also that hover raider is ugly as sin and stacking three sets of weaponry on top of each other makes it look ridiculous. They just can't do good vehicles any more

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

For_Great_Justice posted:

Because gw came up with space marines an everything else is a not-(whatever) even though gw marines are knock offs of judge dredd. Good try though.

That's the Arbites. Marines are a combo of other influences, mostly Starship Troopers.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Thirsty Dog posted:

Did you know that the land raider is called that because it was invented by Arkhan Land? vomiting-marine.gif

Also that hover raider is ugly as sin and stacking three sets of weaponry on top of each other makes it look ridiculous. They just can't do good vehicles any more

What frustrates me the most about this is forgeworld's custodes hovertanks are so good there is no excuse.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Thirsty Dog posted:

Sir, can i interest you in some aftermarket parts for your speedraider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
At least with the hovertank the backwash from the launching missiles goes into the cabin to gently toast the bigmarines, just where does it go for that robot?

• Locked thread