Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't think there are a lot of cruiser riders on here, but if you really love it, it's probably a fine first bike. I can say I still wouldn't mind a bike with ABS, and I really would have liked to have learned on a bike with ABS. You aren't going to be accidentally popping wheelies on a Shadow, but in general I think learning on the lightest bike around will make your life easier. Cruising around at decent speeds is actually really easy on a bike, but slow speed maneuvering will be more interesting on a heavier bike like a Shadow.

Current goon think is start on a Ninja 250, but if you really aren't into that style, I'd just get the Shadow. Getting a bike that can actually keep up with freeway speeds isn't an instant death sentence, you just have to not be stupid about it. FWIW, I currently ride a fast bike, but I'm trying to get my wife into wanting a Ninja 300 because I want an excuse to flog a small bike around town.
As someone who started on a new ninja300, that should either require a used purchase, or move up to a CBR500 or ninja650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
While I'm more set on the cruiser style, the ninja 250 does seems to be the better starter bike (and price wise too).

mentalcontempt posted:

Having said that - if I had to do it again, I'd take the advice in the new rider thread and get something cheaper/lighter while I learned. The weight was intimidating at first and I now wish I had something that was more nimble. Next bike probably won't be a cruiser.

Having said all _that_, I think the Vulcan S is a nice option if your heart is set on a metric cruiser; it's comfortable and great for weekend rides.

My heart is more set on a cruiser. I like this Vulcan S!

Will have plenty of back and forth with myself on what to do.
Thanks for the all the responses. I have some research to do.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Digital Jedi posted:

While I'm more set on the cruiser style, the ninja 250 does seems to be the better starter bike (and price wise too).

My heart is more set on a cruiser. I like this Vulcan S!

Will have plenty of back and forth with myself on what to do.
Thanks for the all the responses. I have some research to do.

Just remember that it's not the only bike you'll ever own. Buy a ninja 250 and ride it while saving up for the indian scout.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coydog posted:

I would like to pile on and say that my EX250 cruised happily at 85-90, with plenty of power left for passes, while loaded down with a months worth of camping gear.

You just gotta remember the engine is super ok with 9k rpm.

I miss that bike. :(

let's not go crazy here, it's fine on the highway yes, but you're not passing poo poo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

let's not go crazy here, it's fine on the highway yes, but you're not passing poo poo

I was passing semis into some of the worst headwinds I've ever ridden in. It wasn't even hard.

Fatty.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
maybe our definitions of passing are different, to me passing is getting past something sooner than 20 seconds of WOT

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nah we have the same definition of passing. The passing you think the EX250 does is actually the type of "passing" that my wr250x kinda sorta did but did not. The ex250 fairly rocketed past people once you got going, and could pass a semi in a headwind in under 10 sec easily.

Aerodynamics is a magical thing, is it not?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I dunno dude, I rode an EX300 for the better part of a year commuting and you pretty much aren't passing anything but the right lane trolls in priuses. everyone else on the highway is flying along at 80 mph

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Razzled posted:

I dunno dude, I rode an EX300 for the better part of a year commuting and you pretty much aren't passing anything but the right lane trolls in priuses. everyone else on the highway is flying along at 80 mph

I drove my friend's Prius from Chicago to Knoxville in a 10 hour shot, it was surprisingly nice on the highway. Cruise control at 65 the whole way parked in the right lane. lol

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Just remember that it's not the only bike you'll ever own. Buy a ninja 250 and ride it while saving up for the indian scout.

That Indian Scout is pretty drat sweet, I want it.

Getting a Ninja first and learning more seems to be the correct way to go about this. And I would guess once I get better and more comfortable with that it would open up more options for other cruisers down the line.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If you wanted a small cruiser there are the Honda Rebels, the 250 version looks like it's roughly half the weight of the Shadow. I can't comment on how good they are or if they can do highway speeds. Or you can just get a Ninja and sell it when it's time to upgrade. If you buy used, you probably won't lose much on the deal (if anything). Used Ninja prices can be insane sometimes (at least when I was last looking).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
250 rebels can do highway, but only 65-70mph. The aeros of the ninja massively increase the top speed compared to similar engined bikes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
It's more just that the Rebel engine is really underpowered compared to the Ninja's. The Ninja 250 is water-cooled and (supposedly) makes around 30hp, while the Rebel is air-cooled and makes like 18hp.

I know a few petite girls who have Rebels and love them around town, but given the speed of traffic on the roads today I'd slot them closer to a scooter than a motorcycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

That Indian Scout is pretty drat sweet, I want it.

Getting a Ninja first and learning more seems to be the correct way to go about this. And I would guess once I get better and more comfortable with that it would open up more options for other cruisers down the line.

What you'll discover is that after you learn to ride on a ninja 250/300 and get to grips with how enjoyable corners are, you'll ride a cruiser once and never want one again. The overlap between people who are decent riders and people who enjoy cruisers is very small IMO.

List of not terrible cruisers:
Scout
Xr1200
Vmax
Diavel

I'm probably missing like one or two but you get the picture.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

It's more just that the Rebel engine is really underpowered compared to the Ninja's. The Ninja 250 is water-cooled and (supposedly) makes around 30hp, while the Rebel is air-cooled and makes like 18hp.

I know a few petite girls who have Rebels and love them around town, but given the speed of traffic on the roads today I'd slot them closer to a scooter than a motorcycle.

Funny thing, the rebel is actually slower than the liquid cooled elite 250, which has 19hp. Magazine reviews of the time also noted that the elite 250 was quicker than the rebel 250 due to the cvt keeping it in the powerband most all of the time.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There's two, new much faster Rebels if you have money to blow on a tiny cruiser.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

What you'll discover is that after you learn to ride on a ninja 250/300 and get to grips with how enjoyable corners are, you'll ride a cruiser once and never want one again. The overlap between people who are decent riders and people who enjoy cruisers is very small IMO.

List of not terrible cruisers:
Scout
Xr1200
Vmax
Diavel

I'm probably missing like one or two but you get the picture.

I so want to like the Diavel because it doesn't look like every other cruiser out there and I love that motor, but it's so loving ugly. XDiavel makes it a little better looking, and then moves the loving controls forward because CRUISER HURRRRRRRR.

Diavel:cruiser :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8 <-- that video:actual English

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I just bought a 250 last week and I was flying passed traffic. :shrug: a dude with a Ninja 600 spent all his time behind me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chichevache posted:

I just bought a 250 last week and I was flying passed traffic. :shrug: a dude with a Ninja 600 spent all his time behind me.

Dont kid yourself, the 600 was choosing not to pass

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Fauxtool posted:

Dont kid yourself, the 600 was choosing not to pass

No poo poo. Because he's bitch-made and not willing to split traffic like a boss. :c00lbutt:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Unless they secretly made the 300 slower than the 250, the idea that it can't easily run at any highway speed is silly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Like, I'm looking at picking up a versys 300 for a new commuter, and it does fine on the freeway at 80. It's spinning lots of revs, sure, but it's fine. Also very nice in the dirt!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ignorance is bliss. There is a reason people often go up in power and very rarely go down. If you havent ever had a 600+ you will be fine with a 250-300 and it will feel plenty fast for awhile. They arent wrong for feeling like its enough but they definitely dont have the full picture

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It depends on your use case too. If you're going to be mostly commuting through city traffic, or riding twisty countryside roads with occasional highway stints then you'll technically never need anything bigger than a 250.

I would want something bigger if I regularly had to spend a lot of time at highway speed though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah Razzled has no idea how to ride if he's like "omg i can't pass people with a motorcycle that is capable of doing 105mph when they're doing 80mph".

loving downshift that thing into what power it does make and rip past traffic.

Coydog, if you're gonna buy a dirtbike to compliment the 690, buy a real dirtbike. Your 300 pound SMC is better on 17s with TKC80s at dual sportin' than a 365 pound DR650 with a 21 inch front. If you're doing real offroad, then you want a real dirtbike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

Ignorance is bliss. There is a reason people often go up in power and very rarely go down. If you havent ever had a 600+ you will be fine with a 250-300 and it will feel plenty fast for awhile. They arent wrong for feeling like its enough but they definitely dont have the full picture

I went from a Bandit 1200 to a DRZ400 and I don't regret it one bit. In fact, the Drz is the one I miss more.

Power is fun, don't get me wrong. The DRZ couldn't do 3rd gear power wheelies, but it's not a one way street, and it's not automatically more power=better than.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

Most people can't ride for poo poo and play the losing game of chasing acceleration and speed adrenaline rushes.

Eh, I've had 5 or 6 bikes including an SV650 and a couple of bigger bikes, and I ride a Ninja 250 now. I've done 450 mile days on the Ninja. The 250 will hit 90 plenty quick, if I'm going faster than that I'm probably doing something stupid. It's the most comfortable bike I've owned, it'll get 65mpg, and having a power curve that actually matters is way more fun than the SV for example. I can think of one real-life situation where I occasionally wish I had a bit more power - merging/changing lanes on the interstate. Other than that, the only real reason I'd have to upgrade is for ABS.

I'm not saying everyone should get a 250/300 for their first bike and never own anything else, but they can safely ride anywhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Dutymode posted:

Unless they secretly made the 300 slower than the 250, the idea that it can't easily run at any highway speed is silly.
Agreed.

In 6th gear it's pretty much 1k rpm / 9 mph. And it has no power available to get out of its own way when you're​ at 9k/80mph. Nor can you downshift, because you're already above redline. Yeah, it redlines 6th at 108mph or so, but it takes miles to reach that speed.

I'm still in camp "the cbr500 or a 650 is a better first bike."

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I think you may have misunderstood me. I actually thought of you during this - usually the people here like to dogpile riders like you for quickly switching from a 300, and they've been oddly quiet. Not that the Ninja 650 isn't quite manageable for a careful newer rider, but I'd bet money you were riding the 300 wrong.

Here's the RPM/speed chart for a stock Ninja 300. If you need to accelerate from an indicated 80 mph(probably closer to 72mph), you probably should be downshifting from 6th. You're gonna be right in the powerband for 5th and hit 90+ real-world speed before you leave it.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 3, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Z3n posted:

Yeah Razzled has no idea how to ride if he's like "omg i can't pass people with a motorcycle that is capable of doing 105mph when they're doing 80mph".

true, but have you considered: goons fat. like SO fat

Dutymode posted:

I think you may have misunderstood me. I actually thought of you during this - usually the people here like to dogpile riders like you for quickly switching from a 300, and they've been oddly quiet. Not that the Ninja 650 isn't quite manageable for a careful newer rider, but I'd bet money you were riding the 300 wrong.

I had noticed him upgrading oddly quickly, too -- seemed to me about the same rate as that guy who showed up last year, bought a 300, sold it in a month for an F4i, rode it like I dunno, five times? and less than a year later sold it and gave up. But at least a Ninja 650 is a somewhat better choice than immediately moving to a Daytona or an R6, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I haven't ruled out the possibility that ilkhan too is extremely fat.

ilkhan posted:

I'm still in camp "the cbr500 or a 650 is a better first bike."

That's not what most serious highly-skilled riders would say. The entry class to MotoGP racing, Moto3, uses 250cc single-cylinder motorcycles and I guarantee any of those riders on a bog-standard Ninja 250 would be faster than any street rider on a 500/650-class bike anywhere except a runway. If you want to ride well, you need to be able to safely push your bike to its limits to learn how it behaves in that envelope, and you need something small to do that.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 3, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can we all agree that we are at least better than yammienoob?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

can we all agree that we are at least better than yammienoob?

err: DIVIDE_BY_ZERO

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Also I haven't ruled out the possibility that ilkhan too is extremely fat.

That's not what most serious highly-skilled riders would say. The entry class to MotoGP racing, Moto3, uses 250cc single-cylinder motorcycles and I guarantee any of those riders on a bog-standard Ninja 250 would be faster than any street rider on a 500/650-class bike anywhere except a runway. If you want to ride well, you need to be able to safely push your bike to its limits to learn how it behaves in that envelope, and you need something small to do that.
I'm 6ft 220. Not super fat, no.

And we're not training for motoGP, so who cares? As a first bike that is easy to ride and learn on, the 300 is just fine. But I'd you want longevity go slightly bigger. Circling around to a 300 later when you want a lightweight toy is an option too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

err: DIVIDE_BY_ZERO

for those who dont know, he is a youtuber well on his way to becoming the next backpanther

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Backpanther got a big windfall from his settlement and then blew it stupidly; Yammienoob isn't going to get poo poo except a one-way ticket to the poorhouse

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

seemed to me about the same rate as that guy who showed up last year, bought a 300, sold it in a month for an F4i, rode it like I dunno, five times? and less than a year later sold it and gave up.

Wait, was that the guy who bought an absolutely beautiful F4i I'm thinking of? Paintvagrant?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Carth Dookie posted:

Wait, was that the guy who bought an absolutely beautiful F4i I'm thinking of? Paintvagrant?

yeah i think he said he had back problems or some poo poo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:laffo:

edit: oh well, at least he got out without wrecking it/himself.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

yeah i think he said he had back problems or some poo poo

He did. I thought I saw him posting here still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm not ded, but my spinal discs are