Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AbstractNapper posted:

That sounds like a misunderstanding about how Schrodinger's Cat theory works or what it is about.

I don't think it's meant to be 100% scientifically accurate or faithful, and I can't find the interview for the life of me but it was posted somewhere in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Found it!

KoRMaK posted:

The writer was on fresh air yesterday, and the old cheif def has a schrodinger thing going on that was accented:
-divored and not divorced
-cheif and not a cheif
-electronics don't see here
-is a lady "out of time", no facebook, computers, etc

The part where auto sensors don't see her is def some quantum mechanics stuff - the detectors don't see her because she is and isn't at the same time.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/15/528459775/fargo-is-a-series-about-the-things-people-do-for-money

Noah Hawley posted:

HAWLEY: No - she - yeah, she's a woman out of time on some level. And she's both - you know, I mean, when we meet her, she's going through a divorce, so she's sort of both married and divorced. And she's both chief and not chief. I mean, she's existing in this dual state of being.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fog Tripper posted:

I rewatched last night. Outside the cell area door, is the desk with about 2' of space between it and the wall for a person to get through (where Gloria asks first to be let in to speak to Nikki). At that desk is a cop facing anyone attempting to get in. Have to assume it was a fake cop attempting to kill Nikki. A known cop would have been recognized by the door guard, and the door guard could have easily said "oh yeah, that was so-and-so". Not only did fake cop get past that guard, but then Gloria as well right after. Only when the shot rang out (that ninja sweeping leg disarming Gloria was even more ridiculous on the rewatch) did anyone seem to notice that people were in the cell room. Not a single person saw Qualls go in or run out... This after they made a huge point of both the paperwork thing as well as there being barely enough room to move in the various parts of the building.

Regarding the woman trying to buy the company, at this point I believe she is partners in Varga's scheme. Likely it was her fake cop and likely that it was Varga that she was on the phone with in the restaurant after Stussi was told about Ray and when the cop approached her to ask questions. Trying to manipulate Stussy into selling for dirt cheap?

It appeared the new chief was one of the cops that broke into Nikki's room and pulled her out of the window, and also when first interrogating Nikki, nearly verbatim repeated the fake abuse theory Varga came up with. Would explain how Varga knew so quickly that she was going to the Fed prison under "protective custody" and the route/time the bus would be on. If this is the case it makes his character even more eye-rollingly bad.

The reason Varga needs Enis' report? I havent the foggiest.

That part is either the laziest bit of writing or it's going to be the most awesome explanation ever. EVERYTHING in this series is plotted out. I don't know if I've ever seen a continuity error. It's not like the filmmakers were pressed for time in a 42 minute story format. Fargo routinely goes over if they need more time. They could have easily taken an extra 20 seconds for the two chiefs to arrive, but instead, they were in there almost immediately and that's got to mean something.

I've been mostly underwhelmed by this season, but there's still an outside chance it's going to be awesome as long as all these mistakes aren't really mistakes.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Huh. I guess then at least their intention was to have her be in a dual state.

Although really 2 out of the 3 things they mention are her being in a transitional period of her life. She has decided that she is divorced (and she is in all but the typical/ (bureaucratic?) sense, just waiting for the papers). And she is chief of the old department that is merged into a new department and in a few weeks someone else will be chief. She is only in a dual state because, well the writer said so in that interview.

The 3rd thing about the cameras, is the "aliens" thing of this season. Or one of the things that were as absurd/ weird as the aliens last season. She is never shown to be detected by any auto-detection/ presence detection mechanism, so as far as that part of modern automation is concerned she doesn't exist (she is not sometimes detected and other times not). It's more like her "special ability" (which she feels strange about although apparently this has been going on for years).

Ray Wise's story about the soldier's wife was a lot more clear cut case of a Schrodinger's Cat metaphor, that I can appreciate.

Anyway, I realise that I'm putting too much thought in a show like Fargo that likes being weird and not worry about explaining its weirdness.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Can someone outline the instances where she was not detected by technology? I don't remember it happening before the latest episode but I was pretty drunk while watching a few of them.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

They could have easily taken an extra 20 seconds for the two chiefs to arrive, but instead, they were in there almost immediately and that's got to mean something.

On xmas eve no less.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ornithology posted:

Can someone outline the instances where she was not detected by technology? I don't remember it happening before the latest episode but I was pretty drunk while watching a few of them.

Mainly motion detector doors and washroom appliances.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

jfood posted:

The real mystery is, did Varga hack the cameras or did Gloria being in the vicinity gently caress them up?

Good, came back to the thread to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought her mutant powers cause the problem. I didn't even think it was meant to be subtle.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Good, came back to the thread to make sure I wasn't the only one who thought her mutant powers cause the problem. I didn't even think it was meant to be subtle.

It would have just as easily turned off when she was chatting with the jail guard earlier. If she was the cause it is yet more badly thought out writing.

Besides, her mutant power is stuff not acknowledging her existence, not things turning off completely due to proximity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: duh

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I'm still betting on aliens. :colbert:

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I liked Varga at first but he's become my least favorite part of the season. He's like Ramsey Bolton in GoT- evil for the sake of being evil/shocking and without any sort of window into what his motives are (sorry but "power" in the abstract is just not enough) his cruelty is just vapid and tiresome.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

The 3rd thing about the cameras, is the "aliens" thing of this season. Or one of the things that were as absurd/ weird as the aliens last season.

Like the deadly fish storm in S1. Or was there a scene with Malvo and a trebuchet of trout I missed?

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

I liked Varga at first but he's become my least favorite part of the season. He's like Ramsey Bolton in GoT- evil for the sake of being evil/shocking and without any sort of window into what his motives are (sorry but "power" in the abstract is just not enough) his cruelty is just vapid and tiresome.

Disagree in that I can't think of an action he's taken that cruelty for cruelty's sake, as opposed to cruelty to send a message. Every action they've taken has been to either cover their tracks, gather info, or intimidate people into doing what they want.

Overall his motive seems to be amassing wealth and using it to enjoy the bounty of being wealthy while planning ahead for the peasant revolt. Though it's harder to tell if there's any truth to that because manipulation is his theme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Then again I didn't really mind Bolton either, as sadists do exist. Though in that case, that was certainly cruelty for cruelties sake above and beyond reason.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Varga's first scene was great, but I think it was the kind of scene that would have been so much more effective if we rarely (maybe never) saw him again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
While the villains this season are borderline too strong/powerful, it just occurred to me Malvo killed a whole crime family off-screen and no one seemed fazed.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

While the villains this season are borderline too strong/powerful,

Borderline? :psyduck:

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

pr0p posted:

Like the deadly fish storm in S1. Or was there a scene with Malvo and a trebuchet of trout I missed?

That was caused by a water spout that a TV tuned to the news briefly mentioned.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pr0p posted:

Like the deadly fish storm in S1.

Implausible rains of fish or other animals is a real thing that's happened off and on for centuries.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Recently just did a rewatch of Fargo S1, finally got around to seeing S2 for the first time, and now I'm all caught up on S3 so far.

Even with the improbable/:rolleyes: things that happen in this show from time to time, I still think it's hands down some of the best TV ever made. Plus, I've also been watching Twin Peaks for the first time ever (I never got around to watching it when it first aired), and as a result I'm probably a little more open to accepting some of the credibility-straining moments that occur throughout Fargo's three seasons.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I got a kick out of seeing Varga in Wonder Woman. He plays a British aristocrat!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If Gloria made the camera not work, that would mean fake cop's plan was to murder Nikki with the camera rolling, which would be dumb, especially if it was supposed to look like a suicide. Plus we've seen no evidence that Gloria's presence stops electronics from working at all, only that they don't detect her. Seems much more likely to me that the obvious solution is the correct one: fake cop was a Varga goon and the cameras were hacked.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 5, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nate RFB posted:

I'm finding myself rolling my eyes at the constant metaphors and story asides the antagonists seem so fond of (whether it's Varga, Moe, or the Ukrainian). Every conflict has seemingly required them to deliver one and it's gotten a bit tiresome, and I'm really hoping at least one at the end ends with Nikki/Gloria basically going "oh my god WHO CARES" and cutting them off to ice them/arrest them/whatever.

One of my favorite bits of season 2 is when Peggy finally actually manages to articulate how she feels and how unfair society's expectations/demands are and it's all actually quite accurate and compelling but then Lou quite rightly cuts her off immediately with,"People are dead, Peggy. :mad:"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Wafflecopper posted:

If Gloria made the camera not work, that would mean fake cop's plan was to murder Nikki with the camera rolling, which would be dumb, especially if it was supposed to look like a suicide. Plus we've seen no evidence that Gloria's presence stops electronics from working at all, only that they don't detect her. Seems much more likely to me that the obvious solution is the correct one: fake cop was a Varga goon and the cameras were hacked.

Yeah I mean it's not as if the show hasn't gone out of its way to show that Varga's organization is capable of electronic hacking shenanigans to a crazy extent.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
One thing that has bothered me about Varga is when they show him "hacking" he's basically just typing their name into google and/or facebook.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jerusalem posted:

One of my favorite bits of season 2 is when Peggy finally actually manages to articulate how she feels and how unfair society's expectations/demands are and it's all actually quite accurate and compelling but then Lou quite rightly cuts her off immediately with,"People are dead, Peggy. :mad:"
Season 2 is just so great, everyone is just so layered and fleshed out and interesting in a way that is so sorely missed in season 3.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure that's the point both about the dangers of social media, where everyone has an account connected to more info than they know, and about Varga's "crazy hacking skills." He loves to make people think he's got super hackers but as soon as he doesn't find Gloria on Facebook he's stumped and has to send out Yuri for physical information retrieval. Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google. He's recognizing the potential of social media for his own line of work and he works well with what's there, but doesn't actually go far beyond the surface.

Although that doesn't really seem to mesh well with shutting off the surveillance camera in a police station remotely so who knows.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pretty sure that's the point both about the dangers of social media, where everyone has an account connected to more info than they know, and about Varga's "crazy hacking skills." He loves to make people think he's got super hackers but as soon as he doesn't find Gloria on Facebook he's stumped and has to send out Yuri for physical information retrieval. Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google. He's recognizing the potential of social media for his own line of work and he works well with what's there, but doesn't actually go far beyond the surface.

Although that doesn't really seem to mesh well with shutting off the surveillance camera in a police station remotely so who knows.

That's a good point but earlier a precedent was set when just googling Vargas caused the attorneys computer to snap a picture and die. That requires at least some skill. Or he just contracts that out in which case why have him do the legwork later on.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

lifts cats over head posted:

One thing that has bothered me about Varga is when they show him "hacking" he's basically just typing their name into google and/or facebook.

Has anything on the show actually claimed he was hacking and not simply searching for things on the internet?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ChesterJT posted:

Has anything on the show actually claimed he was hacking and not simply searching for things on the internet?

Stussy's lawyer who tried to look him up, downloaded *something* by clicking on a link and then a malware took control of his webcam, took a picture of the lawyer and send it back to Vargas, and then fried his PC and apparently the rest of the PCs in that office's LAN.

So, not actively hacking, but he has access to and makes use of some really advanced and intrusive tools and malware.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

In your head and in a badly written character's plot sure.

Talk down to, sure. Ignore clear cut evidence of a homicide spree and conspiracy? No.

you should read transcripts from gender discrimination trials/depositions. i have.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AbstractNapper posted:

Stussy's lawyer who tried to look him up, downloaded *something* by clicking on a link and then a malware took control of his webcam, took a picture of the lawyer and send it back to Vargas, and then fried his PC and apparently the rest of the PCs in that office's LAN.

So, not actively hacking, but he has access to and makes use of some really advanced and intrusive tools and malware.

I took that to mean one of his goons is an IT guy. Varga is Management.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Varga can't even keep his teeth half presentable. All we've ever seen him do in his rolling data center is sleep on the floor.

When he first presented himself, I could have sworn he spoke as if he represented other people (maybe Ray Wise). I think we're going to find he's just a middleman.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I stand by my theory that the Varga we see is just a middleman

For aliens

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ArmZ posted:

you should read transcripts from gender discrimination trials/depositions. i have.

Did they involve police departments and homicide cases? I'd love to read them actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Krispy Kareem posted:

Varga can't even keep his teeth half presentable. All we've ever seen him do in his rolling data center is sleep on the floor.

When he first presented himself, I could have sworn he spoke as if he represented other people (maybe Ray Wise). I think we're going to find he's just a middleman.

I mean, he did say "I might as well not even exist".

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

Jerusalem posted:

I strongly agree this is such a strong scene, in which Peggy finally unrolls the depth of a character. It was unsettling to see Ed daydreaming about having kids while she was on the pill and lying about it, but the speech about having to be 3 women at once was fantastic and kinda blew my mind. Such coherence with the 70s era with the feminist movements being a work-in-progress and her struggling psyche.. so I'm holding out hope about the end of this season..

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

My Lovely Horse posted:

Note how he searches for "Eden Valley police webpage". Webpage is the kind of thing grandmas type into Google.

Webpage was still part of common internet lexicon in 2010.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sure, but you don't need to search for it explicitly. That's not how google works or ever worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

New theory: Vargas has a twin which is part of his whole hiding in plain sight thing. One twin is very skilled with computers. Also this is what initially got him interested in Stussy. I base this on hardly anything so par for the TVIV course.

• Locked thread