Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Megasabin posted:

Aren't you the the dude who just posted a page ago before you even saw the movie, whining about how there's no way the movie justified it's RT score, and suggesting it was a conspiracy?

I'm sure you walked into the movie with no bias at all, and your opinion is well thought out and valuable. We can all pray that the stuido listens to good insightful criticism like "dialogue was mediocre." "the villains were stock villains".

:lol:

It's cute that you think this film is a masterpiece. And please, explain how the antagonists in here were anything but mustasche-twirling stock villains so we can all laugh at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

LionArcher posted:

That's not true. Sword fights are good. First act Great, third act good. A lot of not so thinly veiled sexism in a lot of the criticism

What exactly is sexist about saying the third act is bad or that the sword fights sucked???

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Chris Pine was so drat good in this movie, it's almost a shame that if he was gonna do a DCEU role, it was this one. I mean, it almost feels like a waste that you're not getting two or three movies with this guy.

The movie is at its best from when Wondy steps into No Man's Land to when they leave the village. It never gets quite that good again, but man that stretch of time is really good. Well, it briefly gets good when Diana is about to say Tanks a Lot to Dr. Maru.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
what sword does WW use in BvS? Was the one she took just some prop?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

VJeff posted:

Chris Pine was so drat good in this movie, it's almost a shame that if he was gonna do a DCEU role, it was this one. I mean, it almost feels like a waste that you're not getting two or three movies with this guy.

The movie is at its best from when Wondy steps into No Man's Land to when they leave the village. It never gets quite that good again, but man that stretch of time is really good. Well, it briefly gets good when Diana is about to say Tanks a Lot to Dr. Maru.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that he signed up for a multi-picture deal with DCEU when it was announced.

https://www.moviefone.com/2015/07/29/chris-pine-joins-wonder-woman-in-multi-picture-dc-universe-deal/
http://www.thewrap.com/chris-pine-closes-deal-to-star-opposite-gal-gadot-in-wonder-woman-exclusive/

So he is either coming back in flashbacks or maybe WW will use her god-magic to bring him back to life or something.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Yaws posted:

Oh wow, I guess this means WW will be forgotten the second one leaves the theater.

The alternative was for it to be remembered for the bad taste in left in people's mouths, ala BvS.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So about the ending. The read I got was that killing Ares didn't end the war, or at least not directly. The point of the story was that the war was almost over anyway but Luttendorf and Maru were trying to extend it with the tools Ares indirectly gave them. With Luttendorf dead and Ares no longer whispering the recipe for super weapons to anybody, Germany surrendered. It wasn't that killing Ares ended the war for the reasons Diana thought it would, but that he would've kept finding ways to indirectly extend it by finding people like Luttendorf and Maru and whispering spark notes on superweapons to them. Am I off base here?

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

VJeff posted:

So about the ending. The read I got was that killing Ares didn't end the war, or at least not directly. The point of the story was that the war was almost over anyway but Luttendorf and Maru were trying to extend it with the tools Ares indirectly gave them. With Luttendorf dead and Ares no longer whispering the recipe for super weapons to anybody, Germany surrendered. It wasn't that killing Ares ended the war for the reasons Diana thought it would, but that he would've kept finding ways to indirectly extend it by finding people like Luttendorf and Maru and whispering spark notes on superweapons to them. Am I off base here?

No you're absolutely correct. Ares was using Lutterndorf and Maru to both extend and enhance the violence of war. He also arguably enabled Steve to go out and get caught which would also ruin peace talks. Most of the confusion from the thread is how everything's presented immediately after Ares' death, with both sides suddenly turning all buddy-buddy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah I can see how you'd see the smiling German soldiers and be like "okay so are they good guys now?" but I thought about it for a sec and I realized -- they're not like, breaking out of Ares' influence, they're just relieved that the fire and lightning murder godfest didn't kill them all.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

VJeff posted:

Yeah I can see how you'd see the smiling German soldiers and be like "okay so are they good guys now?" but I thought about it for a sec and I realized -- they're not like, breaking out of Ares' influence, they're just relieved that the fire and lightning murder godfest didn't kill them all.

Yeah that's pretty much the conclusion I came to as well.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Spoiler free review: Wonder Woman kicks rear end. If that's what you want to see you won't be disappointed. I really loved watching her courageously do courageous things.

Thoughts on the third act topic of debate, major spoilers ... If you want a feel good ending, the movie is fine as is. However, if you prefer a more philosophical and melancholy ending, just mentally erase every scene with Sir Patrick as Ares. This leaves Ludendorff as Ares. She kills him but the war doesn't stop and that's how she became so disillusioned that she could retreat from the world of man.

I like that they included a moral lesson for the story: Super heroes can do a lot of things but they can't prevent humans from fighting each other. It's up to all of us regular people to create a peaceful world.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

With the exception of how it basically contradicts what she says in BvS aside, and even then who cares except nerds writing about it on forums, I didn't think any part of this movie was bad. The aesop was hokey, but they handled Diana's character development surprisingly well, so it compensated for that a bit. Heck even the big dumb fight at the end fed into the overall message. That said, they did fumble the whole "walked away from a century of horrors" bit, but again, who cares. Hope Justice League doesn't suck, cause while I like BvS and MoS more than most, Snyder's movies are bad, I'm sorry.

Opinions:

too much slow motion
flipping around a bunch does not improve your archery
the lasso was somehow not lame
Patty Jenkins likes closeups
Glad that Gal Gadot being pretty was a minor plot point
the fish out water humor worked well
the cast of ethnic party members was handled well
that boat must have beenLittlefinger's considering they sailed from Greece to London in the space of one transition

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BrianWilly posted:

I do agree that the themes get a wee bit muddled when we're forced to pair this up with BvS. I think what Jenkins is trying to go for here is a sense that, yes, Diana did say she walked away from mankind in that film...but that's only a fraction of the story. She can have walked away, but still be fighting. She can have given up on people, but still believe in them. This final act tries its utmost to make it so that it's not an either-or situation, that these aren't mutually-exclusive concepts. It almost gets there, with the whole "there is light and darkness and I accept both" compromise. But I think the themes just get that little bit too confused and unclear at the end so that it's not exactly a wholly satisfying conclusion either way.

Which is a pity, but ultimately not a very big deal to me; the rest of the film hits so many highs and gets so many rights that I can hardly be arsed about how the final ten minutes line up to a less good film. That's not necessarily a dig at BvS either, that's just how shared universes are gonna work no matter what, and DC is finally throwing its A-game into the pit.

Yeah it's really starting to feel like WW's line in BvS is going to get the "Darth Vader killed your father" treatment where it was only really true in one very specific sense.

Also she does say at the end of the film that she decided not to return to Themyscira.

BrianWilly posted:

Which reminds me that I don't understand people saying WW doesn't kill anyone, 'cuz yeah those two dudes are super dead.

Also at the very end when she goes all Super Saiyan during the fight with Ares she absolutely destroys a platoon of German dudes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Reactions all over the place...

I would've minded the CGI-fest more had the Ares 'twist' been handled poorly. I am all about Ares as a would-be agent of peace who lets the humans around him stumble into war. Remember how he kept getting interrupted in an earlier meeting of generals? That was a great touch.

Also, would have been annoyed at Steve's last words being spelled out like they were, except they give his death a different context to Diana as sacrifice made in the name of love. If he'd died as a matter of random chance/cruelty, that'd be a heartbreaker, but as an act of heroism? Okay, time to fight the good fight and break out of the metal box of BDSM.

Did the sniper ever shoot anyone? Cool if he didn't, more parties could use a bard.

I remember some wisecracks earlier in this thread about the movie treating World War I with too light a hand. Talk about selective viewing! This movie took on PTSD, wounded veterans (notice the outgoing soldiers are singing rally songs, but the returning are barely comprehensible), cruelties of war, bombing of civilian targets... It may not have shown literal mounds of bodies, but it didn't cover up what a massive tragedy the whole conflict was, either. Horses getting unnecessarily whipped and everything!

Oh hey, a Native (Canadian) actor/character who doesn't die upon introduction. Take that, Suicide Squad!

I would love if Wonder Woman 2 covers World War 2, with Diana fighting the rest of the Gods as they've all taken bets on the war and want it to play out.

The kids at my local theater were impressed with the movie and would react out loud to action scenes and Dr. Poison's mask. That's an upcoming generation of moviegoers who will expect more inspirational leading super-ladies woop woop!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My review: movie is ok. Diana herself is very well done, so there's great potential for the next WW movie if they let some good writers do their thing. I agree with most that the highlights of the movie are in the first half towards the middle. If they gave the movie a better more memorable last ten or fifteen minutes even, it would've left a better impression for me.

Random thought on how to end it (with lots of spoilers), Have her do something notable in modern day at the end, instead of just that pose shot. I know she's not Batman so just stopping some mugger may seem passe, but something like that would have been cool, or doing other heroic stuff. And her looking around the city and commenting on it a bit or something. Just seemed like boss got killed, movie ended within 10 minutes it felt. For a two and a half hour movie, you can play around with pacing and formula a bit, movie doesn't have to end just because they won the thingy. Plus that thingy wasn't that interesting anyway. Although David Thewlis is great, wild to think the villain from Dragonheart is still getting a part like this 20 years later. And he's the giggling guy from The Big Lebowski, points for that.

Steve's sacrifice could have been done in a more satisfying and emotional way, just watch a great HK action movie from the 80s and 90s, they pull the heartstrings like crazy. Steve's here was just kind of odd and ineffective to me.

In general, if they stuck the landing a bit more, did a couple things better, this would go from a decent movie to a good one, but that's just my take.

And watch Crocodile Dundee by the way folks, it's a good movie. If the comedy and romance aspect of this movie appeals to you, why haven't you seen that. Hell, Mannequin too.

For great peace loving heroes who are shocked and outraged at killing, getting that heroic blood pumping, I recommend some Rurouni Kenshin too. The anime is great, and the recent live-action trilogy was very good.

This movie played it safe and was somewhat successful at it, pretty similar movie to Captain America 1, but they've gotta do something really cool with the next WW movie to make this a franchise.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 3, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Putting these Super Heroes in real life historical wars really underlines how hokey all this stuff is.

This whole movie was cheesy as gently caress. Not an inherently bad thing if that's your thing.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

nelson posted:

I like that they included a moral lesson for the story: Super heroes can do a lot of things but they can't prevent humans from fighting each other. It's up to all of us regular people to create a peaceful world.

I think that more than anything I appreciate that WW feels like a different type of hero than what we've had. We see that with The crossing of No Man's Land, Diana's not just saving the day but enabling mankind to accomplish greater things. I like that, it might be why I enjoyed that scene so much. Probably also ties in to her monologue at the end but I'm bad with words and don't want to try.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also at the very end when she goes all Super Saiyan during the fight with Ares she absolutely destroys a platoon of German dudes.

That part bothered me because she gets a literal aura of power that destroys everything around her and charges in a mad rage... at some mortals whose bullets she continues to carefully block one by one and then she kicks and punches them until they fall down one by one. I needed those dudes to, at minimum, have their weapons just liquefy in their hands while their bodies were scattered by raw qi pressure.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

nelson posted:

Someone hasn't watched Watchmen :v:

Aurubin posted:

that boat must have beenLittlefinger's considering they sailed from Greece to London in the space of one transition

They try to explain it by Steve saying that they came across that motor boat that is towing them while Diana was sleeping.

Heavy Metal posted:

And watch Crocodile Dundee by the way folks, it's a good movie. If the comedy and romance aspect of this movie appeals to you, why haven't you seen that. Hell, Mannequin too.

Mannequin Two is a classic, a fairy tale done in cheesy 80's romance/comedy glory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Meshach Taylor is/was a goddamn national treasure.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

To everyone wondering what the generals magic strength gas was, if I had to make a educated comic book nerd guess I would say that it was some sort of proto venom. I can just imagine there was some idiot WB exec saying "You need to spell this out and tie to to batman!"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

They could use a sequel, but several possible avenues are closed off. she's not allowed back to Amazonia because laws, the movie had some sadness but otherwise suggests mankind is very much worth fighting for and can be saved, and that she has the ability and duty to do something when others won't. It's a serious writing challenge to square everything. The best, maybe only, option is to ignore that line and have adventures and help in WW2 but somehow be unnoticed (maybe fight in Hiroshima in bomb-eve) and then hide because someone she loves or trusts betrays her or the Amazons. I think you could see her skipping Nam for something like that, just anything other than the drat holocaust.

She ascended into full godhood at the end there, so I'm pretty sure she can go back to the island whenever she wants.

I garuntee you that Wonder Woman 2 will have her fighting Nazi occultists who are summonging demons Hellboy style.

After all, in BVS she says she's killed things from other worlds before and I don't think Ares counts. So it's either demons or aliens.

By the way, I loved the movie.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Rhygezenguro posted:

I think that more than anything I appreciate that WW feels like a different type of hero than what we've had. We see that with The crossing of No Man's Land, Diana's not just saving the day but enabling mankind to accomplish greater things. I like that, it might be why I enjoyed that scene so much.

That was my favorite scene in the whole movie. I couldn't find the words to express my emotion watching it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

nelson posted:

That was my favorite scene in the whole movie. I couldn't find the words to express my emotion watching it.

Yeah, it was really, really powerful. The cinematography there, the music, Gal... everything was just immensely fantastic, and it's easily up there with the Joker Tumbler chase and Spider-man 2 train as one of my favorite superhero scenes. I'll admit to tearing up a bit, and I'm just a nerdy dude that likes superheroes. I can only imagine how women who have waited 75 years for this will feel about it. It really, truly felt like there was so much more beyond the movie leading up to it, and Patty directed it perfectly.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Liked the movie a lot, it's not perfect but it's a solid hero movie. The desire for this movie, particularly among women, was really apparent in my screening; lots of "woo!"s and cheering during No Man's Land and (my favorite) an applause break when she scolded the generals for being cowards hiding in their offices while soldiers died.

Gal Gadot was incredibly charming, so much so that some of the closeups seemed excessive and bordered on hammy mugging, but that might just be my taste.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Terrible Horse posted:

Gal Gadot was incredibly charming, so much so that some of the closeups seemed excessive and bordered on hammy mugging, but that might just be my taste.

I've seen a few other goons mention the closeups, too. Gal talks about them a bit in recent interviews. Apparently she was very heavily pregnant by the time they needed to do reshoots, so they were forced to do a lot of tight, waist-up shots or otherwise use a green-screen over her stomach.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/06/02/i_wish_wonder_woman_were_as_feminist_as_it_thinks_it_is.html

Wonder Woman was raped.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I really enjoyed this, but, man, Zack Snyder really set the bar for massive CGI demigod rumbles. Like the last two Captain America movies, the hero taking apart faceless fascists is a blast, but the action goes to hell when it gets too big.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Sir Kodiak posted:

I really enjoyed this, but, man, Zack Snyder really set the bar for massive CGI demigod rumbles. Like the last two Captain America movies, the hero taking apart faceless fascists is a blast, but the action goes to hell when it gets too big.

Winter Soldier was fun, but hoooly poo poo it crapped out every time a big CGI set piece happened. Big gray objects rendered with second rate effects. Maybe the worst use of CG in any Marvel movie come to think of it.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I didn't like the movie. The third act feels like two different versions of the story thrown together haphazardly with the main villains motives and methods especially confused. The geography of the action is likewise hilariously condensed with everything a minor horse ride away from each other and the war disappearing entirely after one admittedly strong action set piece in the trenches. Too much of it feat like it was written for an earlier script about WW2 and then pushed backwards onto WW1 when someone said it made it too much like Captain America.

I watched it with mys sister, she felt the blatant change of Greek mythology to be more judeo-christian was especially egregious, neither of us were a fan of the pointlessness of the framing device.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

farraday posted:

I watched it with mys sister, she felt the blatant change of Greek mythology to be more judeo-christian was especially egregious, neither of us were a fan of the pointlessness of the framing device.

I was happy to forgive Zeus and Ares being given a god-and-the-devil bent to make it more approachable, given that they had the guts to make them actual gods, be responsible for the creation of mankind, etc., as compared to Thor's cop out with the Norse gods just being super-science aliens. I wonder if confirmed-Christian Superman is going to have any questions about that when he inevitably returns from the dead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

farraday posted:

Too much of it feat like it was written for an earlier script about WW2 and then pushed backwards onto WW1 when someone said it made it too much like Captain America.

Well it's a good thing that a handsome army captain didn't make a poorly heard farewell to the love of his life and then sacrifice himself ensuring that a huge metal airplane filled with a dangerous new superweapon was destroyed, thus stopping the evil Germans from wiping a major city off the map and altering the course of the war because that would certainly draw comparisons to Captain America!!

PS: we didn't see Cpt. Steve Trevor die so he'll no doubt return at some point, probably after being put through stasis for a while :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Saw it tonight. What a mixed bag. I'd put it maybe on the level of Man of Steel.

PROS:
Pine and Gadot have decent chemistry, and their adventures in London are pretty fun. Middle film action scenes are fun. I especially like that this film dodges the "born sexy yesterday" trap where the fish-out-of-water woman is naive and needs the worldly man to show her the ropes. Sure, Steve guides her through the modern western world, but Diana questions this world and calls its bullshit out, bullshit Steve doesn't have good explanations for. Also, the the Ares reveal was pretty well done. His monologue did a pretty good job of creating a sense of hopelessness.

CONS:
- This gas is so deadly, it cracks glass and disintegrates leather! But you can inhale it partially while wandering close to a clearly visible cloud of this gas without getting much more than a cough.
- Music was on the nose every time it wanted an emotion
- Hey, we slow danced, I guess that means we fall in love and sleep together
- CGI laser light show final fight
- often not enough time spent letting information sink in, characters reacting, or properly introducing new ideas
- Ares saying that he's not responsible for the war, humans are is undercut by him dying and the war suddenly being over

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 3, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Kodiak posted:

as compared to Thor's cop out with the Norse gods just being super-science aliens.

This is what they are in the comics.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This is what they are in the comics.

I'm talking about movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Seems refreshing that Greek Satan isn't Hades.

They'll probably save him for the sequel :v:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is the DC vanity plate new? I dig it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Everyone knows Kratos is the god of war.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The more I think about it, the more this movie's ending doesn't really contradict what we hear in BvS at all. It just plays a trick where it has the emboldened, present-day Diana narrate to you while you're still watching the WW1-era Diana look around at the movie's aftermath, such that you think you've just seen a happy ending when in point of fact our character is probably still frustrated and ready to withdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

Everyone knows Kratos is the god of war.

You have to admit, that would have been a pretty phenomenal tie-in/reveal.

DIANA! *circle button prompt magically appears over Wonder Woman's head*

• Locked thread