Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Ah yes, you see, both sides carry equal fault for me chokeslamming that journalist.

Insurrectum fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Rigel posted:

If Obama had issued the travel ban shortly before leaving office, people would still complain, but the courts wouldn't even lift an eyebrow and would summarily dismiss any attempts to block it. The only reason why we are here is that Trump is a vile orange racist hate golem who loudly and proudly campaigned on a ban based solely on religion, and you can't do a ban based on religion.

Isn't that the case with many laws - there's designed to target a protected group but the people writing them come up with a bullshit reason (:airquote:voter fraud:airquote:) to pass something with a disproportionate impact...

Trump just didn't have the patience do keep a straight face and not loving tweet out his racism, and thus his law will fail.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

Isn't that the case with many laws - there's designed to target a protected group but the people writing them come up with a bullshit reason (:airquote:voter fraud:airquote:) to pass something with a disproportionate impact...

Trump just didn't have the patience do keep a straight face and not loving tweet out his racism, and thus his law will fail.

yeah, and those laws can be struck down too if the impact is too high and the government's interest is implausible, too weak, or not really being met by the law. (eg the government's explained interest in the gay marriage bans was laughably absurd, but if we hypothetically had some kind of population crash and birthrate problem plus they could prove a gay marriage ban would encourage more hetero marriages and children, the courts may have blessed a gay marriage ban)

In this case though, if the government's reasoning is "we're afraid thousands of people will be murdered by terrorists", then they can get away with a lot of disparate impact if the fear is at all plausible and they have any evidence. With most presidents the courts would go "gee that sounds terrifying. OK, we won't second guess you, so go ahead and protect us. Sorry muslims, looks like you are getting hit hard by this ban, but nothing we can do about it"

Rigel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 3, 2017

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

trumpsamerica.jpg

And it also explains the mayo thing.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I trust Trump too

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rigel posted:

yeah, and those laws can be struck down too if the impact is too high and the government's interest is implausible, too weak, or not really being met by the law. (eg the government's explained interest in the gay marriage bans was laughably absurd, but if we hypothetically had some kind of population crash and birthrate problem plus they could prove a gay marriage ban would encourage more hetero marriages and children, the courts may have blessed a gay marriage ban)

In this case though, if the government's reasoning is "we're afraid thousands of people will be murdered by terrorists", then they can get away with a lot of disparate impact if the fear is at all plausible and they have any evidence. With most presidents the courts would go "gee that sounds terrifying. OK, we won't second guess you, so go ahead and protect us. Sorry muslims, looks like you are getting hit hard by this ban, but nothing we can do about it"

Why have the lower courts hit this executive order so hard, then? Every ruling has flatly called it unconstitutional, right? Where would plausible latitude come from at this point? Is it just because supreme court justices are blatantly partisan in ways that federal judges are not?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

business hammocks posted:

Why have the lower courts hit this executive order so hard, then? Every ruling has flatly called it unconstitutional, right? Where would plausible latitude come from at this point? Is it just because supreme court justices are blatantly partisan in ways that federal judges are not?

Yeah that's it, people are worried Scalia Gorsuch, Thomas, Alito, Roberts and maybe even Kennedy will just go "TROMP GOOD."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The premise of using past comments to define motive.

There is no reason The President could not institute this ban in a vacuum, but he's on very public record to a.) ban muslims and b.) find a way to ban them legally.

They are trying to argue that past comments and motive are immaterial and the ban is within the constitutional power of the president. So far, the courts haven't gotten past the first argument without ruling against the administration.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

glowing-fish posted:

I've heard that East of the Mississippi (I hope that is a neutral term), interstate rest stops have fast food restaurants and stuff?

In the Western United States, all they have is bathrooms, drinking fountains, picnic tables, sometimes flyers of tourist attractions. Sometimes people make coffee which they give away for donations.

This isn't totally irrelevant to the thread, because I am learning about Trump's mindset, about a world where everything is commercialized and tacky, and where of course a rest area has a bunch of cheesy chain restaurants. The idea that a rest area could just be some trees and picnic tables is probably something that Trump couldn't understand.

They exist along some of the Interstate toll roads like the Mass Turnpike or New York State Thruway which were built pre-Interstate and the states kept the rights to the toll plazas. Those plazas don't really exist in the more urban termini, but are in the more rural areas of the routes. So even if Trump were to take the NYS Thruway up state for some reason, he wouldn't have seen those rest plazas.

The remaining stops are just basic 2 bathrooms, maybe vending machine, and green space rest areas. I know of one that I drive by in Connecticut if I travel down to NY that has Boy Scouts giving out coffee.

glowing-fish posted:

In fact, has Donald Trump ever had any record of being in a natural area? I mean, like most people from the East Coast, he probably doesn't even understand such a concept exists, and then on top of that, the idea of him coming up against something that is just nature, that isn't a social reality where he could stroke his ego, probably just doesn't compute.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 3, 2017

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Didn't the 4th circuit ruling basically say "this could plausibly be legal maybe, but past statements make intent obvious"? Or was it as more or less cut and dried constitutionality as the original 9th circuit ruling with the public statements bit just being a cherry on top?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hellblazer187 posted:

The problem with this discussion is that Ginos is only a thing in NH, MA, and CT, so most people reading this won't know what we're talking about. You already saw two posters thinking it was just a cutesy name you were giving to Papa Johns (which is, actually, trash). But you do me a big favor by saying your favorite pizza is Costco. Now anyone reading can judge the relative merits of our taste by comparison to Costco.

Costco is CONVENIENT. If you're there because you need to buy 60 lbs of dog food and you want to bring a pizza home without making a separate stop? OK, go ahead. I won't judge. But Costco as a destination for Pizza is simply insane.

Papa Ginos is the greasiest pizza in the world, which also makes it the best pizza in the world. Yes it's thin. When did thin become bad? It flops and drips and makes the world a better place. While on the subject of New England franchises, D'angelos has the best cheese steak outside of Philly. (Note that I don't give an "outside of Manhattan" qualifier for Ginos since it is actually just the best). IIRC D'angelos and Ginos are the same company or at least are usually right next to each other in strip malls so I'm sure you've "been conned" into having excellent sandwiches as well.

Truth. :911:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

only we have papa ginos? lol at people thinking it's papa johns it's way older.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Not really. A few judges have concurred with a majority opinion saying its unconstitutional because the impact is too great, but most judges have been saying "this would normally be OK, except we know you are really doing this because of religion."

The president is trying to explain that its not religious and Obama wouldn't have had a problem, but the courts are saying "nope, we heard you during the campaign, and we know you are lying to us". Thats amazing, you have to get to Trump levels of obvious hate to provoke the courts into doing this.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Just saw this link shared on FB.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/02/26/reichstag-fire-manipulating-terror-to-end-democracy/

It's old I know, but this (and probably being three episodes into the new season of House of Cards, which seems to be what they are building towards) got me thinking about what the likely response from the III%ers would be to something like this. I feel like it might be extraordinarily naive to take them at their word that they would lead an uprising against usurping the constitution and not just that they just hated a black man in the White House.

More broadly, say blatantly lovely Russian poo poo comes to light and/or jail/impeachment enters the realm of possibilities and Trump were to pull a Reichstag event that then pushed through terrible war powers and a severe erosion of US citizens civil rights. How would or could a coup like that work in a federalist system and a country with 300 million guns in civilian hands? I feel like California's response would be similar to their response to the pulling out of the Paris accords and not comply.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PeterWSJ/status/871009240856616962

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mynnna posted:

Didn't the 4th circuit ruling basically say "this could plausibly be legal maybe, but past statements make intent obvious"? Or was it as more or less cut and dried constitutionality as the original 9th circuit ruling with the public statements bit just being a cherry on top?

yep. The original 9th circuit ruling on the first EO was because it hilariously tried to ban green card holders. When Trump fixed that and issued the 2nd EO, then they fell back on, "ok, thats better but we still think you are lying, so no."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's kinda dumb the president can just ban entry from certain countries without any basis. they go "hey i don't wanna terrorists to come in" but then their ban is countries where zero terrorists have come from and they left the countries the terrorists actually came from and are also the largest sponsors of terrorism off the list. you should be able to block it just on those grounds because it's dumb as hell.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Chilichimp posted:

The premise of using past comments to define motive.

There is no reason The President could not institute this ban in a vacuum, but he's on very public record to a.) ban muslims and b.) find a way to ban them legally.

They are trying to argue that past comments and motive are immaterial and the ban is within the constitutional power of the president. So far, the courts haven't gotten past the first argument without ruling against the administration.

It's such a disingenuous and obviously laughable argument it just boggle the mind. I know we all agree but a child could see the stupidity in this poo poo.

e: Of course that applies to pretty much everything Trump related, yet still, here we are.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 3, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's kinda dumb the president can just ban entry from certain countries without any basis. they go "hey i don't wanna terrorists to come in" but then their ban is countries where zero terrorists have come from and they left the countries the terrorists actually came from and are also the largest sponsors of terrorism off the list. you should be able to block it just on those grounds because it's dumb as hell.

With a normal president who is rational, intelligent, and not an obvious racist, the president would basically tell the courts that he has secret information he can't share and they just need to trust him, and the courts would sign off on it. In Trump's case because of his history of campaigning on a muslim ban, they won't take his word for it, he'd have to prove it to them.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Insurrectum posted:

Ah yes, you see, both sides carry equal fault for me chokeslamming that journalist.

Since Gianforte the RWM has been flooded with articles that are basically variations on "I'm not touching you, you're touching me" and "why do you make me hit you?".

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/05/29/liberals-are-shocked-to-find-were-starting-to-hate-them-right-back-n2332712

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*actively takes away the rights of everyone that isn't a straight white man, while also loving over anyone who isn't rich, while also destroying the earth, while also defending by far the dumbest president of all time, while also physically assaulting the press*

why can't we all be civil???

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Since Gianforte the RWM has been flooded with articles that are basically variations on "I'm not touching you, you're touching me" and "why do you make me hit you?".

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/05/29/liberals-are-shocked-to-find-were-starting-to-hate-them-right-back-n2332712

I don't really think anyone is shocked to find the right wing is mostly driven by hatred and spite, Mr. Article Writer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

catspleen posted:

Just saw this link shared on FB.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/02/26/reichstag-fire-manipulating-terror-to-end-democracy/

It's old I know, but this (and probably being three episodes into the new season of House of Cards, which seems to be what they are building towards) got me thinking about what the likely response from the III%ers would be to something like this. I feel like it might be extraordinarily naive to take them at their word that they would lead an uprising against usurping the constitution and not just that they just hated a black man in the White House.

More broadly, say blatantly lovely Russian poo poo comes to light and/or jail/impeachment enters the realm of possibilities and Trump were to pull a Reichstag event that then pushed through terrible war powers and a severe erosion of US citizens civil rights. How would or could a coup like that work in a federalist system and a country with 300 million guns in civilian hands? I feel like California's response would be similar to their response to the pulling out of the Paris accords and not comply.

The oathkeeper and 3% crowd would love a reichstag event because they are literal fascists. They don't actually care about the constitution or America as it has really been, but venerate an imagined mythic past in which they would have gotten a better deal than they have now solely because of an explicitly racist social order. The second amendment is no protection against state power because American police have access to overwhelming military force and also the national guard. You need to just hope that the federal system holds and that nobody has confidence in Trump even if they would love to do a holocaust and make a fascist ethnostate (Sessions wants to do a holocaust and make an ethnostate).

The thing about the nazis is that they were smart, or at least of normal intelligence, and they planned carefully.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

With a normal president who is rational, intelligent, and not an obvious racist, the president would basically tell the courts that he has secret information he can't share and they just need to trust him, and the courts would sign off on it. In Trump's case because of his history of campaigning on a muslim ban, they won't take his word for it, he'd have to prove it to them.

The courts would request that secret information and review it, not just "trust" the administration. The Trump admin tried to say "we have secret info trust us" and the courts went "great, lets have the judge review the info since judges review secret info all the loving time." Strangely the Trump administration didn't want to do it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871013135536332800
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/870975855299788800
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/871020725980811266
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/871027588000559109
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/871044867253776388

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/870676152175734784

Also SOROS DOLLARS HARD AT WORK
https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/871015185217187841

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/871023810409058306

quote:

Nearly six months after Donald Trump was sworn into office, more than 200 protesters who gathered in Washington, D.C. to protest his inauguration are facing felony charges that carry sentences of 70 to 80 years.

According to Al Jazeera, the 212 protesters were arrested by the Metropolitan Police Department and initially charged with felony rioting, a crime that carries a 10-year prison sentence and a $25,000 fine. On April 27, the Superior Court of the District of Columbia added additional charges that include urging to riot, conspiracy to riot and destruction of property.

The possibility of long-term prison sentences for these protesters could have a chilling effect on participation in future rallies, particularly at a time of heightened levels of anti-Trump activism. While it’s unclear whether police departments will respond to large-scale political protests in a similar fashion, a dangerous precedent has been set. These legal actions may also infringe on the demonstrators’ First Amendment rights, as they directly target anti-Trump protest movements.

Olivia Alsip, a 23-year-old from Chicago, told Al Jazeera she never envisioned participating in the anti-Trump protests on inauguration day could leave her facing an 80-year prison sentence: “It seems that innocent until proven guilty is a falsehood—all the way from the prosecution and police to the people who had previously supported me in my activism.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The thing about the nazis is that they were smart, or at least of normal intelligence, and they planned carefully.

The nazi high command was impossibly incompetent and its one of the more bizarre accidents of history that they became as significant as they did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all thanks to one mentally deficient communist starting a fire.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

The nazi high command was impossibly incompetent and its one of the more bizarre accidents of history that they became as significant as they did.

Looks like we are repeating history then since it's looking like they are winning pretty handily with shoving protesters in jail, going to town on Jim Crow 2.0 while they beat up journalists with impunity.

The message is pretty clear. Don't protest Trump or we will figure out a reason to destroy you. MAGA #freedom, etc,

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

gohmak posted:

Publix deli
Truth.

This seems, uh, real bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
http://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531088285/trump-s-approval-rate-decline-is-nothing-compared-to-other-presidents

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Don't forget that you also had factions like Canaris' Abwehr that actively worked against Hitler and the Nazis as well.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

True, and they would still run circles around Trump and his band of circus clowns.

And a big difference is that before coming to power the Nazis knew exactly what they were doing. That period between Hitler leaving jail after the Beer Hall Putsch and him being appointed Chancellor was full of some meticulously planned and organized strategy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zero_Grade posted:

Truth.

This seems, uh, real bad.

Yeah it's indicating they feel like they can go full fascist and have no fear of anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=901#post442986216

Hitler studies a scale model of his planned re-building of Linz, the future Cultural Capital of his reich.The skyline was to be dominated by a huge clock tower that would play a movement from Schubert's 6th every morning, and its gilded roof would be the first building to reflect the morning sun. Hitler was very concerned that the locals would be offended if the clock tower was taller than the tallest building in the city - the cathedral - and spent countless hours deciding the height of the tower. This was in February 1945.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Like many other features of our government, the authors of the original law assumed the President would always be an intelligent statesman of sound judgment and good morals, or at least not a sleazy stupid conman whose senile brain has been pickling in fringe propaganda ever since a black guy was elected.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Radish posted:

Yeah it's indicating they feel like they can go full fascist and have no fear of anything.

The entire administration is basically burning down around them...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's nothing like German communists for everyone to "lesser of two evils" over, the nazis haven't stacked the courts, there's nothing like the stabbed in the back myth rallying former soldiers, etc

Politicians are doing everything they can to distance themselves from trump without outright saying it and they're going to be slaughtered in 2018.

The cities are almost exclusively anti-trump to the point you have states (that actually matter) openly defying him.

Like for this to really be like pre hitler Germany you'd have open warfare in the street and of citie, and that guy in Portland who murdered two people would be getting acquitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gently caress, that's crazy. America might literally be a failed democracy now: 80 years for protesting the President.

• Locked thread