Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also the authors of the original law were people that lived hundreds of years ago and never could have foreseen how easy and necessary international travel and immigration would become to having a fully functional world power, so it's stupid to rely on what we think they intended. A trip to or from Europe, for example, was a long undertaking instead of a triviality that anyone with a bit of money can accomplish in well under 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

There's nothing like German communists for everyone to "lesser of two evils" over, the nazis haven't stacked the courts, there's nothing like the stabbed in the back myth rallying former soldiers, etc

Politicians are doing everything they can to distance themselves from trump without outright saying it and they're going to be slaughtered in 2018.

The cities are almost exclusively anti-trump to the point you have states (that actually matter) openly defying him.

Like for this to really be like pre hitler Germany you'd have open warfare in the street and of citie, and that guy in Portland who murdered two people would be getting acquitted.

Also the entire intelligence apparatus loving hates Trump and is actively working to undermine him. Don't forget that part.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Also the nazis were some pointless rump party until massive miscalculations by the ruling class as well as a complete breakdown of social institutions allowed the nazis to sweep in and take over everything overnight.

Trump has been stepping on rakes since he got to D.C. and is likely to be impeached. The courts have uniformly told him to go gently caress himself. Even poo poo like pulling out of Paris, as embarrassing as it is, is really an empty gesture as the economy is moving that way anyway.

ICE is probably going to have to be dealt with but unlike with the nazis trump won't be doing that himself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Also the nazis were some pointless rump party until massive miscalculations by the ruling class as well as a complete breakdown of social institutions allowed the nazis to sweep in and take over everything overnight.

Trump has been stepping on rakes since he got to D.C. and is likely to be impeached. The courts have uniformly told him to go gently caress himself. Even poo poo like pulling out of Paris, as embarrassing as it is, is really an empty gesture as the economy is moving that way anyway.

ICE is probably going to have to be dealt with but unlike with the nazis trump won't be doing that himself.

Big business openly backed and funded Hitler and the Nazi party as well because they were terrified of the Communists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hellblazer187 posted:

The problem with this discussion is that Ginos is only a thing in NH, MA, and CT, so most people reading this won't know what we're talking about. You already saw two posters thinking it was just a cutesy name you were giving to Papa Johns (which is, actually, trash). But you do me a big favor by saying your favorite pizza is Costco. Now anyone reading can judge the relative merits of our taste by comparison to Costco.

Costco is CONVENIENT. If you're there because you need to buy 60 lbs of dog food and you want to bring a pizza home without making a separate stop? OK, go ahead. I won't judge. But Costco as a destination for Pizza is simply insane.

Papa Ginos is the greasiest pizza in the world, which also makes it the best pizza in the world. Yes it's thin. When did thin become bad? It flops and drips and makes the world a better place. While on the subject of New England franchises, D'angelos has the best cheese steak outside of Philly. (Note that I don't give an "outside of Manhattan" qualifier for Ginos since it is actually just the best). IIRC D'angelos and Ginos are the same company or at least are usually right next to each other in strip malls so I'm sure you've "been conned" into having excellent sandwiches as well.

I didn't say my favorite pizza is costco, the question was what's the best chain pizza, and costco fits that bill. Papa Gino's is unfit to be used as worm food, let alone people food. Super floppy, soaked in grease pizza isn't a good thing friendo

Never ate at dangelos. There's enough good sub shops locally that I don't have to bother with lovely chain stores like subway or dangelos.

My favorite pizza place is run by a Pakistani dude and a Mexican dude. They make some crazy pizzas and it's beautiful. My favorite that they make, though it will make you hate yourself after eating it, is their Texas cowboy pizza: steak tips, bacon, grilled chicken, extra cheese, topped with barbecue sauce. Super good.

catspleen posted:

Just saw this link shared on FB.

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/02/26/reichstag-fire-manipulating-terror-to-end-democracy/

It's old I know, but this (and probably being three episodes into the new season of House of Cards, which seems to be what they are building towards) got me thinking about what the likely response from the III%ers would be to something like this. I feel like it might be extraordinarily naive to take them at their word that they would lead an uprising against usurping the constitution and not just that they just hated a black man in the White House.

More broadly, say blatantly lovely Russian poo poo comes to light and/or jail/impeachment enters the realm of possibilities and Trump were to pull a Reichstag event that then pushed through terrible war powers and a severe erosion of US citizens civil rights. How would or could a coup like that work in a federalist system and a country with 300 million guns in civilian hands? I feel like California's response would be similar to their response to the pulling out of the Paris accords and not comply.
While I only got to reach a little bit of it before it told me to subscribe, people have been fearing a reichstag fire moment for a while. I think any attempt to take advantage of that to enact sweeping changes would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Big business openly backed and funded Hitler and the Nazi party as well because they were terrified of the Communists.

Yeah there's just no real comparison.

Like i know people are getting punched and bloodied up at these rallies but they should really look into what poo poo was like in Berlin or Paris in the early thirties.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

gently caress npr, dipshits are trying to save their jobs by fluffing trump

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't even think a reichstag moment is possible. Like what would have to happen to compare?

The surveillance state makes a false flag pretty impossible.

9/11 style events verge into tom Clancy territory pretty quick.

We're probably just stuck with low level terrorist attacks alternating with increasingly violent white supremacists attacks committed by lone wolves for reasons we can never fully understand.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

That protester story is certainly shocking on it's face, but I wonder how many of those charges are tacked on (even though they know they couldn't convict) as leverage against the cases they filed against the police. It would be interesting to know what the 80 or so people who took plea deals ended up with.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

You have bad taste.

Captain Invictus posted:

Texas cowboy pizza:

I rest my case.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eltoasto posted:

That protester story is certainly shocking on it's face, but I wonder how many of those charges are tacked on (even though they know they couldn't convict) as leverage against the cases they filed against the police. It would be interesting to know what the 80 or so people who took plea deals ended up with.

yeah but none of them should spend a second in jail.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I know it can be irritating to watch some people freak out about the "new Hitler", but its not exactly bad for people to be on the lookout for that sort of thing. And although "nazism" may not really be possible in modern America, a new weird form of authoritariansm just as awful may still come from this.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 3, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Another factor is Police were kettling the protesters they arrested and charged with rioting.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't even think a reichstag moment is possible. Like what would have to happen to compare?

We're probably just stuck with low level terrorist attacks alternating with increasingly violent white supremacists attacks committed by lone wolves for reasons we can never fully understand.

Actually we know a lot about terrorists of all stripes, and politically they are remarkably similar throughout the world. This extends all the way to some white supremacist hillbillies openly claiming they have common cause with Al Qaeda. Luckily, white supremacists are so paranoid that they do not trust even one another, and every group is a separate cult of personality (rarely of ideology) that does not tolerate competitors.

The FBI does a lot of work monitoring white supremacists, but I feel like if it was made a policy priority we could put an end to them, in much the same way that we now appear to have no U.S.-based terror "cells." It would take a 9/11-scale atrocity for this to happen, however.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

I know it can be irritating to watch some people freak out about the "new Hitler", but its not exactly bad for people to be on the lookout for that sort of thing.

Well the same argument against bush applies here; if it really does come people will be desensitized. Of course now we have trump and I don't know if he's worse than w yet but it's only been three months.

I mean from a political perspective it's useful if it mobilizes the left but this is a discussion forum and there's plenty of room to point out that no trump is not in fact the fourth Reich.

He's an incompetent huckster who had a billion things go right and is now spectacularly failing in a manner not seen since guy de lusignon marched his army into the desert to fight Saladin.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hellblazer187 posted:

You have bad taste.

I rest my case.
You can have terrible opinions of bad chain pizza places all you want but I won't have you besmirching good handmade pizza. That you don't see the appeal of a Texas Cowboy Pizza shows how blind you truly are. It's rather pitiful. :colbert:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

Actually we know a lot about terrorists of all stripes, and politically they are remarkably similar throughout the world.

It was more a comment on how white nationalists are never called terrorists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FizFashizzle posted:

It was more a comment on how white nationalists are never called terrorists.
This would mean admitting that white people can be monsters, just like those brown people.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

With how many people are dropping out of serveral high end positions and how many remaining are getting pulled into the investigation, i fully expect them to skip the Reichstag moment needed and go straight in panic mode doing literally everything they can and can't get away with to keep control, hoping the GOP is too Implicated at that point to stand up to them.

For the record, i don't think it will work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A reichstag fire moment isn't really possible in this day and age. Too many people with too many ways to capture video and audio, to trace perpetrators of attacks, etc mean a massive attack would reflect badly on the administration for allowing it to happen. They may try to deflect it saying the investigation is hampering them, but I don't think that'd hold much water with how unpopular trump's administration is these days.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trump is going to hold a rally to commemorate his flipping the bird to France and saving of America from the scourge of climate-positive alliances and economic activity.

Naturally, he's going to hold it in a place named after the most important and popular Frenchman in US history.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I keep saying this and I am confident I will be vindicated: the whole tea party wave, some GOP old guards, McConnell and ryan are full of Russian money and are waiting for the shoe to drop.

You don't even need them to have known they were taking it: he fact that Russians did it and can prove it would be enough to influence.

It fits perfectly with their behaviors all over Europe, and when that dam finally breaks, it'll be Nixon squared or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All aboard the fascism train :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

A reichstag fire moment isn't really possible in this day and age. Too many people with too many ways to capture video and audio, to trace perpetrators of attacks, etc mean a massive attack would reflect badly on the administration for allowing it to happen. They may try to deflect it saying the investigation is hampering them, but I don't think that'd hold much water with how unpopular trump's administration is these days.

the reichstag fire was probably set by the guy they blamed it on. it's that they capitalized on it for a crackdown.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tengames posted:

With how many people are dropping out of serveral high end positions and how many remaining are getting pulled into the investigation, i fully expect them to skip the Reichstag moment needed and go straight in panic mode doing literally everything they can and can't get away with to keep control, hoping the GOP is too Implicated at that point to stand up to them.

For the record, i don't think it will work.

They're not organized enough to have a cohesive strategy, least of all in their death throes.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

I keep saying this and I am confident I will be vindicated: the whole tea party wave, some GOP old guards, McConnell and ryan are full of Russian money and are waiting for the shoe to drop.

You don't even need them to have known they were taking it: he fact that Russians did it and can prove it would be enough to influence.

It fits perfectly with their behaviors all over Europe, and when that dam finally breaks, it'll be Nixon squared or something.

It's why they're trying to checkmate the country so hard. They need to win, decisively, in such a way that Democracy ends and they stay in power indefinitely.

I realize this comes off as hyperbole, but I don't see many other ways to interpret this situation. They don't expect 2018 elections to be free or fair, and expect to continue winning through voter suppression etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Groovelord Neato posted:

the reichstag fire was probably set by the guy they blamed it on. it's that they capitalized on it for a crackdown.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying it'd be exactly the same, but more a political group capitalizing on fear to make sweeping changes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Could you imagine some antifa sneaking into congress and burning it down?

Only way a fire is started now is if Duncan hunters vaping rig blows up in congress, or his office Alienware overheats.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The GOP will totally do whatever it takes to keep in power. We already know this from what happened in North Carolina. They will totally go full fascism now in order to oppress browns and poors and gays and make more money.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/speechboy71/status/871056260417933312

https://twitter.com/speechboy71/status/871056582037188608

https://twitter.com/speechboy71/status/871057153842458625

:lol:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

haveblue posted:

Trump is going to hold a rally to commemorate his flipping the bird to France and saving of America from the scourge of climate-positive alliances and economic activity.

Naturally, he's going to hold it in a place named after the most important and popular Frenchman in US history.

can they stop loving the rotting corpse of satire.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spaced God posted:

The GOP will totally do whatever it takes to keep in power. We already know this from what happened in North Carolina. They will totally go full fascism now in order to oppress browns and poors and gays and make more money.

Full Fascism Now would be one thing, they're having a hard time with Reagan economic policy/Thatcherism.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

LOL I guess it must be sponsored content.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wow. That is some lazy-rear end work. I thought NYT was supposed to be the good one

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

(ノ∀`)アチャー

Yes I have evidence that small business owners love trump, let me introduce you to mr smith *puts on fake mustache* hello I am Mr. Smith!!! Thank you pissbaby president man

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Jesus Christ that's pathetic.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FizFashizzle posted:

The nazi high command was impossibly incompetent and its one of the more bizarre accidents of history that they became as significant as they did.

Eh, militarily, I'd agree. But in terms of propaganda, not getting led around by the nose by Congress, and covering poo poo up, the Nazis were pretty drat effective. Trumpkins? Not so much.

e: oops, a little late on that reply, apologies.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 3, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

haveblue posted:

And just like Lafayette the french despise him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tir McDohl posted:

It's why they're trying to checkmate the country so hard. They need to win, decisively, in such a way that Democracy ends and they stay in power indefinitely.

I realize this comes off as hyperbole, but I don't see many other ways to interpret this situation. They don't expect 2018 elections to be free or fair, and expect to continue winning through voter suppression etc.

Voter suppression so far seems born out of desperation to keep power, not to expand it. The trick barely works on a national level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It only has to barely work.

• Locked thread