Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

fletcher posted:

Are you guys actually able to snipe these off the marketplace? I never see any listed.
Probably 20-30 or so go up a day at various times. Pearl items go up after notice in about 1 minute, and you'll be RNGing with a shitload of people to win the bid. And no you will never win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
you may be right, all i noticed was the text was different than what I recall when I played before, and it was only assumed it made conversations easier back then

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can I get a clarification on this? Just a few pages ago the consensus was that it did nothing or, that it was totally ???

Don't waste any energy investing in nodes for the time being. No one has ever been able to prove that node levels do anything, and I know of at least one test that showed node levels do nothing. I've personally had level 10 nodes in multiple grind spots and dropped them and noticed no change, although I didn't formally test it. If you've got extra energy floating around you're way better off using it on gathering or trying to hire better workers.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I logged in and the game had mailed me 100 million silver because of some house contest, what

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

boho posted:

I logged in and the game had mailed me 100 million silver because of some house contest, what

Upper right of character screen, house fund aka daily allowance.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

does anyone else continuously crash in this game running the steam version? my friend seems to have issues where the servers don't seem to be patching the files correctly and end up messing some up

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
So every now and then I think about playing this again, but don't because I remember that I'm at the point where I'm upgrading boss gear and that entails so much grinding and 5x5 maps and money and there's no payoff until it's all DUO or TRI. I really loving hate the idea that I have all the endgame gear but it's all useless to me until I pour a ton of hours of maps (I hate this HATE IT) and millions upon millions of whatever money was called in this game into it. Oh, and also after all that I still may have nothing to show for it because RNG says 'no, gently caress YOU'. So I've kept away.

I guess my main question is: have they done anything to ease this? Are there other options besides doing maps for hours to get the thousands of memory fragments I need? I was still playing when Artisan's Memory was added, but loving :lol: at dropping a ton (more) cash just to piss it down the gear upgrade system.

vvv poo poo, I wonder if I've got mega millions waiting in my mailbox too, guess I'll patch up and see; gently caress it.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 3, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

boho posted:

Ive been out for 3 months already and I still have 2 weeks left in this shithole till I get back home. I'm going to have so much money in my mail + access to newbie servers. Its going to be great

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rocketpriest posted:

I guess my main question is: have they done anything to ease this? Are there other options besides doing maps for hours to get the thousands of memory fragments I need? I was still playing when Artisan's Memory was added, but loving :lol: at dropping a ton (more) cash just to piss it down the gear upgrade system.

Not really - there are items that drop in mediah and valencia that form scrolls like relic scrolls that give memory fragments, but you can't AFK fish those. The valencia ones do take significantly less time to run than relics do, for whatever that's worth. And memory fragments are pretty much always sold out on the market right now as well. Pretty huge pain in the rear end.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

J posted:

Not really - there are items that drop in mediah and valencia that form scrolls like relic scrolls that give memory fragments, but you can't AFK fish those. The valencia ones do take significantly less time to run than relics do, for whatever that's worth. And memory fragments are pretty much always sold out on the market right now as well. Pretty huge pain in the rear end.

Haven't they only started being sold out with the striker release? The same thing happened with DK

J
Jun 10, 2001

gwrtheyrn posted:

Haven't they only started being sold out with the striker release? The same thing happened with DK

Fragments have been sold out on EU for a long time. Fragments on NA sold out leading up to the striker release, and with the increased droprates of blackstones and hard/sharp stones that puts more demand on memory fragments. But NA also tends to buy way more poo poo on the pearl shop than EU does if you compare the number of pearl items on sold on the market. So people probably buy a lot more artisan's memories and get more mileage out of fragments. So yeah, I could see the mem fragment market bouncing back once the current events are over.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Huh, so I guess they did that big ol' server merge after all; glad I listened to the pubbie guild I was in and got all that black spirit monopoly and login reward stuff. Logged in and ended up with 550 million :homebrew:

Still don't know if I'll actually pick this up again or not so I'm holding off on burning one of my value packs; I don't remember how any of my moneymaking lifeskill poo poo worked, and the lag in Heidel is loving INSANE now - I counted 7 seconds from clicking an item to put it in storage until it actually ended up there for every single item, multiplied by some percentage based on the number of items in a stack it seemed like.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Rocketpriest posted:

Huh, so I guess they did that big ol' server merge after all; glad I listened to the pubbie guild I was in and got all that black spirit monopoly and login reward stuff. Logged in and ended up with 550 million :homebrew:

Still don't know if I'll actually pick this up again or not so I'm holding off on burning one of my value packs; I don't remember how any of my moneymaking lifeskill poo poo worked, and the lag in Heidel is loving INSANE now - I counted 7 seconds from clicking an item to put it in storage until it actually ended up there for every single item, multiplied by some percentage based on the number of items in a stack it seemed like.

It's not heidel, it's the huge influx of new players and the servers melting under the pressure. It was not as bad two weeks ago

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So, I'm looking to pick this up on steam, is it still fun? How's the pvp? I haven't really read much about it past acknowledging that it exists.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pvp either consists of wiz witch zerk dominating nose wars, ganking unaware traders for all their sweet loot, or bullying the poo poo out of idiots who try to steal your grind spot. It's p funny

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I'm getting into automating the milk/sute tea production process, I read a guide that recommends starting a strawberry + sunflower farm to bolster your raw material gains. Does anyone know of a good spot to place it in, preferably close by in the Balenos/Serendia territory?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Bought the £5 base edition on steam on the recommendation of a bunch of friends, anything I can do to get the better bundle stuff without shelling out a fuckton of cash?

Also what's this poo poo about BDO installing the Xingcode rootkit as anti-cheat?

Verizian fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 4, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Futaba Anzu posted:

I'm getting into automating the milk/sute tea production process, I read a guide that recommends starting a strawberry + sunflower farm to bolster your raw material gains. Does anyone know of a good spot to place it in, preferably close by in the Balenos/Serendia territory?

I grew my sunflowers on the south side of Velia just outside the wall. Seemed to grow just fine.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Can anyone give me like a brief, up to date rundown of each class's niche / playstyle and what the community's feelings about it is? Definitely more interested in PvE than PvP.

My Striker is level 42 and he's a dynamo wreckingball, but I'm looking at trying some other alts now.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
if you're gonna pve, you'll probably want aoe clear speed. You can pull up to 8 mobs at a time; tamer can pull 16 with dog. awakened weapons either differentiate a class further (wizard/witch), and/or compensate for a class weakness (ranger, CC)
classes can generally be summed up as a mixture of mobility or durability, and cc, dps, range, or buffs/debuffs

wizard: pure aoe damage, BIG hits, squish, low mobility; good on horse
witch: aoe damage and support, BIG hits, squishy, low mobility; good on horse

sorceress: mobility, midrange/melee hybrid, big hits, squishy.
Dark Knight: aoe midrange/melee hybrid, big hits.

ranger: extreme range, mobility, squishy, low cc. hypercarry; you need gear. good on horse

tamer: mobile melee, versatility (can do a bit of everything; CC, single target, aoe), squishy, reliant on cool downs

musa: mobile aoe melee, versatility
maehwa: mobile single target melee (compared to musa), versatility

ninja: single target melee, CC, squishy
kunoichi: melee aoe, CC, squishy

warrior: durability, pressure
valkyrie: even more durability, support

berserker: durability, CC
striker: pressure, CC

feel free to correct me if someone has more experience with the classes; I only play ranger, and have only observed other classes for pvp purposes

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Ranger is basically melee post-56 isn't it?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
shotgun is still our best skill, so not really

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Got my Striker to 51 last night, bought a bunch of gear and now I'm down to like 9 million silver. What's the best way to increase that?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

screech on the beach posted:

Got my Striker to 51 last night, bought a bunch of gear and now I'm down to like 9 million silver. What's the best way to increase that?

You can either grind for money or do life skills. Almost everyone afk fishes overnight and/or during the day. I like doing imperial cooking, but it takes a little to get into since you usually have to hit resets promptly if you're doing popular products (tea with fine scent, honey wine, fried fish, boiled eggs). Processing is also an option, but it really depends on having max weight and the processing p2w costume as well as having artisan processing to make maximum value.

Also, make sure you're doing all the welfare you can--3 rolls on BSA per day and collecting attendance.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Scoss posted:

Can anyone give me like a brief, up to date rundown of each class's niche / playstyle and what the community's feelings about it is? Definitely more interested in PvE than PvP.

My Striker is level 42 and he's a dynamo wreckingball, but I'm looking at trying some other alts now.

One thing to keep in mind is at level 56 all classes (except striker, his isn't out yet outside of korea), get an awakening weapon which drastically changes how they play. It is an entirely different weapon you can switch to. Some classes use their awakening weapon all the time, others switch between the 2 weapons more frequently. With that in mind though the game's community right now is basically in love with wizard/witch/DK as far as PvE goes. They are all flashy classes with abilities that are basically giant nuclear explosions, post awakening.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Also, make sure you're doing all the welfare you can--3 rolls on BSA per day and collecting attendance.

BSA?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hit escape and click black spirit's adventure. It's a welfare boardgame that you can roll 3 times a day resetting at 0500 UTC with an hour between rolls

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Been playing this thing about a week. Finally hit 50 following the black spirits quest for welfare inventory slots. I read the OP about liquidating everything to just buy the bis pre boss gear. I have the 0-200 ap gear at about +10 just because otherwise I'd be naked and poo poo. When should I move into liquidate everything and buy items mode? ASAP? How much AP can I get by with on the way to 56?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

ganking unaware traders for all their sweet loot

I thought players don't drop loot how is trading different. Do trade goods get destroyed when they die?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I thought players don't drop loot how is trading different. Do trade goods get destroyed when they die?

Trade goods are the one exception to the loot dropping policy. If you die some looting may occur of your trade goods. Won't affect your other stuff though so don't worry on that front.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

New people, make a trial account and get to 30 and let me buy you the game.

I want a polar bear :smith:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

lewtt posted:

wizard: pure aoe damage, BIG hits, squish, low mobility; good on horse
witch: aoe damage and support, BIG hits, squishy, low mobility; good on horse

So do wizards do no support at all later game? I rolled one thinking they were identical to witches since I like having the option to support. My wizard is only level 25 though so if a witch would provide better support options now seems like a good time to reroll.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

So do wizards do no support at all later game? I rolled one thinking they were identical to witches since I like having the option to support. My wizard is only level 25 though so if a witch would provide better support options now seems like a good time to reroll.

Stick with it if you are happy with the wizard look - you'll never find a unified opinion on if witch or wizard is better for pvp or pve or both. In many ways wizard having a grab is the ultimate pvp support. There isn't really a dedicated support class in BDO and healing is very much a minor concern in BDO given how bursty damage is. This isn't the type of MMO where a healer can keep a tank alive for an extended period due to how knockdowns etc work.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

FileNotFound posted:

Stick with it if you are happy with the wizard look - you'll never find a unified opinion on if witch or wizard is better for pvp or pve or both. In many ways wizard having a grab is the ultimate pvp support. There isn't really a dedicated support class in BDO and healing is very much a minor concern in BDO given how bursty damage is. This isn't the type of MMO where a healer can keep a tank alive for an extended period due to how knockdowns etc work.

Not to mention that, even before the steam influx, pvp often came down to who had better ping and got their grab off first anyway. You can mitigate that a bit by sticking together with friends in a group, which is better for grinding anyway.

How are the wizard/witch/dark knight awakenings anyhow? I quit paying attention right as the witch/wizard ones came out I think - are any of them better painless aoe grinders than awakened warrior? That greatsword poo poo was just the best.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Rocketpriest posted:

Not to mention that, even before the steam influx, pvp often came down to who had better ping and got their grab off first anyway. You can mitigate that a bit by sticking together with friends in a group, which is better for grinding anyway.

How are the wizard/witch/dark knight awakenings anyhow? I quit paying attention right as the witch/wizard ones came out I think - are any of them better painless aoe grinders than awakened warrior? That greatsword poo poo was just the best.

Witch awakening and wizard awakening are neat in that they are the smoothest awakening transition - you basically do not need to use the pre-awakening damage skills to grind at all. You still heal yourself and teleport - but really you just mash the same awakening abilities over and over and everything dies. The class still feels exactly the same just the effects change.

In short there are no play-style changes for witch/wizard - just new keys to memorize.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rocketpriest posted:

Well, good news - as far as aoe grind speed goes, warrior is one of the slower classes. If you like warrior, most other classes will be even better. Wizard/witch/dark knight are all top tier in that regard. They all have super hard hitting giant aoe abilities.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Been playing this thing about a week. Finally hit 50 following the black spirits quest for welfare inventory slots. I read the OP about liquidating everything to just buy the bis pre boss gear. I have the 0-200 ap gear at about +10 just because otherwise I'd be naked and poo poo. When should I move into liquidate everything and buy items mode? ASAP? How much AP can I get by with on the way to 56?

Anyone know if this is still the current best advice?

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006

J posted:

Well, good news - as far as aoe grind speed goes, warrior is one of the slower classes. If you like warrior, most other classes will be even better. Wizard/witch/dark knight are all top tier in that regard. They all have super hard hitting giant aoe abilities.

That's not good news at all :( My warrior is maxed on weight increases and everything; rip me.

gently caress it, it's not like I can't afford a tri liverto for a witch/wizard or a dk. I'll level them both to 50'ish and see what's what probably.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rocketpriest posted:

That's not good news at all :( My warrior is maxed on weight increases and everything; rip me.

gently caress it, it's not like I can't afford a tri liverto for a witch/wizard or a dk. I'll level them both to 50'ish and see what's what probably.

Well, that was from the perspective of awakening skills. I'm pretty sure wiz/witch/dk don't use their pre awakened skills very much after 56, so taking them to level 50ish might not be a very good representation. And if you like your warrior, stick with it! 56+ is very grindy, if you don't enjoy what you're playing it won't matter how good or bad the class is in pve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You are almost always better off buying gear at +15 and up. For new or "poor" (lol you'll have like 100mil in house fame money) returning players. You can get by with as little as 110-120 AP to get to 56 without too much issue.

Most likely your pre-boss gear set will look like:
1. DUO/TRI liverto or TRI kzarka mainhand. Kzarka is boss gear, but some classes can have problems reselling liverto
2. TRI off-hand, AP or evasion/acc hybrid depending on your class and what you want. Your first build should be full AP, but you may opt to buy the hybrid first but you will have lower ap to start and accuracy doesn't do a lot in lower end grind areas
3. TRI awakening, blue is better if you can afford it. TRI green will have more damage than DUO blue, but this is probably worth saving for TRI. Buy whatever you will be happy using until dandelion.
4. DUO/TRI 2-slot armor pieces, preferably getting set bonuses for heve grunil or hercules, depending on what bonuses you want. Use the roaring magical armor (PRI dp) you can get for free if you have the dp to support it since it gives accuracy and hp. Rocaba and fortuna also have 2 slots but the bonuses are a lot less relevant. If you don't want to p2w weight, I'd at least go for the 2-slot set bonus on hercules since the bonus is large weight increase
5. DUO/TRI coral rings. Pick between blue and red, it's not really a big deal. If you're rich you can go with duo marks or duo/tri crescents.
6. DUO/TRI Shultz belt--best value belt and very commonly sold.
7. PRI Serap's or PRI ogre ring depending on what you can afford at this point.
8. Blue coral or red coral earrings, TRI if you can. Don't buy witch's earrings, they're dumb.

All in this would put you around 192/236 if you opt to use the magical armor and tri armor/weapons on a pure ap off-hand class (e.g. daggers as opposed to knots), which is enough for most of the content any of us are doing right now.
If you plan to stick to DUO armor/weapons, +15, PRI, and DUO are all about the same expected cost effectiveness as far as buying and getting up to duo, but if you plan to tri, I would just buy it since that's when you start hitting downgrade chances. Armor/weapons get a large boost in stats going from duo->tri so I advise getting them all as tri at some point

As far as stepping stones to get there:
1. As mentioned before anything from +15->duo is roughly equivalent in cost at the end, so if you can't afford duo now but can afford +15, then just buy that--you can also use this to your advantage by putting up marketplace notices for each enhance in that range. Don' plan on upgrading to tri unless you know what you're getting into since you start getting downgrades.
2. Jarettes accessories are free. Use them while you are upgrading more important parts, but plan to replace them eventually. Equivalent accessories are not that expensive, but they do cost more than "free" and you have other things to buy while you're still new. Red coral rings at pri/duo are decent replacements as well as a pri shultz belt, but I won't make recommendations for neck/earrings because those slots are much more expensive.
3. A +15 rosar mainhand paired with jarretes or equivalent cheap accessories and a reasonable off-hand can get you to 56 without too much issue and probably farther if you get a good awakening weapon. You will eat ~6mil in market fees reselling the item once you upgrade if you don't have a VP active, but this lets you keep playing the game and save up for a nicer awakening weapon. Depending on your class you might opt not to get a liverto and skip to kzarka if you can save the extra money since some livertos are very hard to resell. Witches/Wizards should probably step through liverto since it can be passed to bossing alts and should be easier to resell if needed. +15/PRI/DUO are all roughly cost equivalent in the end if you don't mind enchanting, but if you want TRI i'd just buy it at tri but then you should just save extra for kzarka

And in general your purchase order as a new player should be:
1. Main hand weapon
2. 2 pieces of +15/pri/duo/tri armor, helm/gloves if going grunil/rocaba
3. Off-hand weapon
4. 3rd piece of armor (4th if you don't plan on using magical armor)
5. Awakening weapon
6. Rings, belt
7. Earrings/necklace

With the goal of having at least 220-230 DP and as much AP as you can fit in at the end.

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 20, 2017