Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

I'd probably put Marco a bit higher than Danica? I mean she's had one win in her entire career, and zero cup wins.

danica has a higher average finish in indycar than marco rofl

marco is gutter trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

danica also bailed when the field got much better, but yeah

and graham is a whiny silverspoon bitch but he can be super aggressive and fast and fun to watch sometimes so i appreciate having him around

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

and graham is a whiny silverspoon bitch but he can be super aggressive and fast and fun to watch sometimes so i appreciate having him around

He's really nice to fans which is the bizarre thing. I like the stories of him goofing around with friends and family at mid ohio :unsmith:. Likely around the same time I was watching CART practices with my dad, brother.

Marco likes to be left alone though.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 3, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I do find Danica's "im going to die in a cup race" post race interviews pretty fun to watch though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

even comparing them just until 2011 when she bailed, she still beats him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Marco isn't very fast at all. He's fairly consistent I guess.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VikingSkull posted:

Mario really only had one rival, and that was AJ

when you compare the lineage Mario is probably just fine, though I'd rate AJ as having been the better career

I always thought as an all-rounder that Emerson was as good as either of them. Emmo's career is underrated in general.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Marco isn't very fast at all. He's fairly consistent I guess.

I think he got pushed into the series too quickly.

He should have done GP3/GP2, Atlantics, IMSA or even CCWS to really build his skills up. Dude has not adapted well to the DW-12 era.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's not like Marco ever seemed like a raw talent that needed refinement. He's just slow. You can teach a quick guy to crash less, but it's much harder to teach speed.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's not like Marco ever seemed like a raw talent that needed refinement. He's just slow. You can teach a quick guy to crash less, but it's much harder to teach speed.

He ran only 6 Indy Lights races.

Out of those? He won 3, finished 2nd and finished 3rd. I mean that's impressive, but that's a really small sample size to put a kid in the car for. Especially considering the IL field back then was pretty medicore. If you look at the career path of most modern indy drivers (CART era and beyond)? They had to run Indy Lights, Atlantics, IMSA, Can Am, Trans Am, for a few years to get their feet wet.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I was hoping that Macro's engine would have been sacrificed to the track gods last week but I remembered he doesn't push the car at all.

e: regarding prior experience: I think Marco got leapfrogged due to his family name.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always thought as an all-rounder that Emerson was as good as either of them. Emmo's career is underrated in general.

AJ

4 Indy 500's
1 Daytona 500
1 Le Mans Overall
2 Daytona 24 Overall
1 Sebring Overall

Mario

1 Indy 500
1 Daytona 500
1 Daytona 24 Overall
3 Sebring Overall
1 Monaco
1 WDC

Emmo isn't even close

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

Mario really only had one rival, and that was AJ

when you compare the lineage Mario is probably just fine, though I'd rate AJ as having been the better career

It's a hard thing to rate because the field gets deeper as time goes on. More talented drivers in every ride, and more competitive rides. Let's face it, Pippa and Buddy were dragging at the back of the field, but a low-budget ride 30 or 50 years ago would be all kinds of laps down without even having anything go wrong.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Time for Hinch to win from the back!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Love when my favorite driver gets punted immediately well never mind

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Self spin, car got loose. :(

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's a hard thing to rate because the field gets deeper as time goes on. More talented drivers in every ride, and more competitive rides. Let's face it, Pippa and Buddy were dragging at the back of the field, but a low-budget ride 30 or 50 years ago would be all kinds of laps down without even having anything go wrong.

Hell, during the Emmo/Al Jr. duel in '89, 3rd place Raul Boesel was 6 laps down at the end.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

AJ

4 Indy 500's
1 Daytona 500
1 Le Mans Overall
2 Daytona 24 Overall
1 Sebring Overall

Mario

1 Indy 500
1 Daytona 500
1 Daytona 24 Overall
3 Sebring Overall
1 Monaco
1 WDC

Emmo isn't even close

When Mario, Emmo, and AJ were racing each other Foyt wasn't even in the same Zip Code as the other 2, although it was partly equipment related.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Couple questions from a relative newbie (I mostly just watch F1 but understand very little from a technical perspective):
- With driverchat going on, who are some of the fan favorites (aside from, like, Hinch)?
- With how similar the cars are, are small teams competitive? If not, where does the advantage/deficit come from?
- Does the series often see dominance from a single driver, a la Vettel or Hamilton?
- Are the Lights ever worth watching?

e: I've gone to a day at Belle Isle for the last two years (just riding 500 excitement) and it's a tough race for me to watch.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 3, 2017

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Graham; :unsmith:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Boy Honda is just stomping the field in this one, huh?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There's still time for a string of Honda powered grenades.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Couple questions from a relative newbie (I mostly just watch F1 but understand very little from a technical perspective):
- With driverchat going on, who are some of the fan favorites (aside from, like, Hinch)?
- With how similar the cars are, are small teams competitive? If not, where does the advantage/deficit come from?
- Does the series often see dominance from a single driver, a la Vettel or Hamilton?

- Kanaan and Helio are both very popular (though the latter isn't too well liked here), Newgarden is as well, and there are a few guys that have a bit of a cult following like Sato and Conor Daly
- They are indeed, mainly due to pit strategy and the fact that even the small teams usually have some competitive drivers
- More team dominance than drivers (Penske is king poo poo, followed by Ganassi and Andretti, and then the rest)
- Sometimes

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

Fan favorites: biggest cheers at IMS come for guys like Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, and any American driver.

Small teams: yes, as evidenced by the fact that Graham looks set to cruise to victory, and that team is almost always a single car. The cars are largely spec but more resources generally results in more development in the areas that are allowed. Shock absorbers, wind tunnels, etc. Bigger teams can learn more about conditions, spend more time training pit stops.

Single driver dominance: not really. Some years Penske will have the field covered but it's still a tossup for which Penske car wins.

Lights: yes at Indy.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
The only drivers worth giving a poo poo about are Daly and Newgarden.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

For reference, the biggest cheers around me for the driver intros at the 500 were for TK, Helio, Alonso, and Rossi

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

OhsH posted:

The only drivers worth giving a poo poo about are Daly and Newgarden.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Regarding the yakking between the announcers about right foot / left foot braking - wasn't it a minor story when the DW12 showed up that it doesn't really allow right foot braking anymore?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite driver is Ryan "World Class" Hunter-Reay.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Good for Graham, Hinch podium :toot:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Nice recovery for Hinch

quote:

Regarding the yakking between the announcers about right foot / left foot braking - wasn't it a minor story when the DW12 showed up that it doesn't really allow right foot braking anymore?

Dario was pretty miffed about it IIRC

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

step your victory lane game up indycar goddamn

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Rahal leads pretty well from flag to flag.
Dixie finishes second with a left foot injury from last week's crazy 500 wreck.
Hinch spins on the opening lap and claws back to finish 3rd.

A very good podium.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cool run for Dixon getting second after that wreck last week

"and new points leader, Scott Dixon"

Man gently caress Scott Dixon

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

7 different winners so far, 3 Chevy, 4 Honda

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kind of refreshing after Pagenaud's dominating 2016.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Nice recovery for Hinch

Dario was pretty miffed about it IIRC

Yup, you're right. He managed to get a pedal kit approved to let him keep right foot braking but most drivers just went to left foot braking.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

7 different winners so far, 3 Chevy, 4 Honda

i missed the race so i dunno if they mentioned it, but thats a record i think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was hoping Graham was going to come hose Bobby down with champagne mid interview there.

Dixon is limping pretty hard. To be expected for sure, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

i missed the race so i dunno if they mentioned it, but thats a record i think.

Tied with 2000 maybe. There were 7 different winners in the first 7 races there.

• Locked thread