Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bistromatic posted:

Sir, can i interest you in some aftermarket parts for your speedraider?

Missile spam is easily the best part about mecha battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Its insane how every miniature company's path to success is copying GW

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Hixson posted:

Its insane how every miniature company's path to success is copying GW

I think there's legitimately an interesting conversation to be had here but I don't know that you're actually interesting in having it.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think there's legitimately an interesting conversation to be had here but I don't know that you're actually interesting in having it.

I do! he's not

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

Its insane how every company's path to success is copying GW

ftfy

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Everything is a knock off of everything. It'll probably spiral into a nuh uh yeah huh but thats the fact. Whatever gw lifted or another company did but using it as crutch to an argument is not strong argument.

As for gw business model once crazy people are not at the helm anything is bound to (hopefully) bounce back.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW invented the material plastic in 1566

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

For_Great_Justice posted:

Everything is a knock off of everything. It'll probably spiral into a nuh uh yeah huh but thats the fact. Whatever gw lifted or another company did but using it as crutch to an argument is not strong argument.

That's why I think there's actually an interesting conversation to be had. It ties into the origins of Kings of War and companies breaking off to serve customers when another company has failed them. It relates to the concept of original IP and how most everything is derivative of everything else, so where do we draw the line? And it passes through the contracted freelance writers, artists, and game developers who aren't bound to a single IP but work on multiple projects simultaneously or over their careers.

GW plays an undeniably huge role in all of those and their place in history is one that is worthy of discourse. They're definitely an origin point, but I think it's more that people feel GW isn't living up to its potential so they try and do something different rather than just people copying them.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I do! he's not

Well where do you want to start?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Innovation is a good word because it implies the borrowing and iterative nature of improvement that is the reality of almost all creative processes, while invention does not.

GW has innovated at times. Many younger companies have borrowed from GW as part of an innovation. A frequent complaint about today's GW is that it doesn't take advantage of modern developments in game design, which is basically saying GW is failing to intelligently borrow from others.

There is a thin line between (good) innovating from others' examples, and (bad) ripping off others' work to steal the profits they deserve for their efforts; but it behooves game companies to tread that line.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I just realized: What happens to the sad marine under the stairs now? :smith:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
he will become EMBIGGENED!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
At least he was replaced by a C3P0 and not a better version of himself. That would've just been depressing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bistromatic posted:

He will get a friend in the Sigmarine when that is replaced by an EMBIGGEND Marine

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bistromatic posted:

Nobody knows what it's like to be the sad-rine. To be the bad-rine. Behind small eyes.

EDIT: Serious post, do you think AoS sales will tank now that they basically have 2 versions of the same game? The differences between Fantasy and 40k were miles more than 8th and AoS.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I feel GW is one of those organisations that has a solid place but is actively resistant to change. Granted they take a step forward or back a group lashes out but it would be less annoying if they'd just pick a path an stick to it, not try to hold onto every group an please everyone, you can't do that with grogs or grey beards.

To me the biglies are that. Just bite the bullet, call the old marines legacy marines an go full bigly. Establish them an move on just be absolutely straight forward an vocal about it.

As of now they seem to be listening to communities but what message they get who knows.

As for their models its mixed. They make cool dudes in armor thats great. I just wish they'd stop trying to pretend theirs is one of a kind an everything else is a copy. A dude in armor in space is a dude in armor in space stop trying to copy right it or make off words like klaive. Or Drew Carrys.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Maybe the people repressing innovation and new designs for millennia were... Right all along?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 3, 2017

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Would be a good in universe joke for GW to poke at if they didn't take it so seriously now.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I just saw the price for the LE rule book. I think maybe GW is neither cool nor good?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I just saw the price for the LE rule book. I think maybe GW is neither cool nor good?

Lmao $420 space marine e'rry day

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

For_Great_Justice posted:

To me the biglies are that. Just bite the bullet, call the old marines legacy marines an go full bigly. Establish them an move on just be absolutely straight forward an vocal about it.

I don't for one moment believe that if they had done this you would be doing anything other than complaining about it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't for one moment believe that if they had done this you would be doing anything other than complaining about it.

god your salty motherfucker

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god looooooool.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone pointed out it has an old style secondary gun for confirming windage that's balistic but the main gun is a beam weapon?

Imagine I put 40 thousand o's in between these two l l 's.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola posted:

god you're salty motherfucker

ftfy friend

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The real crime here is that we got an actual imperial hovertank, and it isn't based on Rick Priestley's deodorant bottle.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Eifert Posting posted:

Has anyone pointed out it has an old style secondary gun for confirming windage that's balistic but the main gun is a beam weapon?

Imagine I put 40 thousand o's in between these two l l 's.

Ever heard of solar winds? Wind from the sun light? Didn't think of that did you smart guy!

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If I were still in possesion of a marine army an actively playing it? For gently caress sure I'd be livid as anyone else. But at least it'd down in pen that was the plan. I'd either sell, shelve, or convert them.

Like I said it'd piss off people but everyone would know where we stand an officially with GW. But its better than "yeah totally non primaris marines are a thing!" with a for now said under their breath.

We've kind of silently, or in some cases not like my dumb rear end, have acknowledged they will old yeller them at some point. Just give a time table.

Fake edit: I would think they'd rather avoid another Tomb Kings where they said everything would be supported then they suddenly axed them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is still the 'complain about GW' thread, isn't it? Why complain about complaining about GW, in the complaining about GW thread? I still really don't understand the motivation for that.

If this isn't the 'complain about GW' thread any more, then I guess I don't know where I am

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hixson posted:

ftfy friend

No I was telling him to god his salty motherfucker

Please all god your salty motherfuckers

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's why the IC podcast is so grating.

1 hour of content, 90 minutes of dithering about people who complain. Bonus "who moved the cheese" corp speak.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

That's why the IC podcast is so grating.

1 hour of content, 90 minutes of dithering about people who complain. Bonus "who moved the cheese" corp speak.

I've never listened to it. Do they actually spend a segment complaining about people who don't buy in 100%? Thats amazing.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

In being fair to Stalin I'm just as salty. He seems like an ok dude. Or whatever lovely Stalin is.

This is the complain about gw thread, people want one so it exists. Its kept separate to keep one set of feelings away from the other, or at least that is the intent.

I mean you can complain about complaining I just feel keep it civil there are websites for being callous.

Everyone gets their own opinion I'm not trying to win anyone over.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ashcans posted:

The real crime here is that we got an actual imperial hovertank, and it isn't based on Rick Priestley's deodorant bottle.

Imperium already got that one, FW does it.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legio-Custodes-Coronus-Grav-carrier

The sculptor said the deodorant tank was the basis for it.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

That is fantastic.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Imperium already got that one, FW does it.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Legio-Custodes-Coronus-Grav-carrier

The sculptor said the deodorant tank was the basis for it.

And yet it is so much better than the Float Raider.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

I've never listened to it. Do they actually spend a segment complaining about people who don't buy in 100%? Thats amazing.

Lots of "everyone is entitled to an opinion but..." followed by lots of complaining and condescension.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Nice meltdown, everyone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Nice meltdown, everyone.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Who was that guy that used to paint imperial guard tanks and then set them on fire? Someone post one of those videos so i can quote it with "nice meltdown".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I give these meltdowns a solid 7 out of downloaded codex.

• Locked thread