Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

He's doing well. Hes not currently happy with the PU though. There is a lot of non consensual pvp occurring and I think goons are partially to blame, if not in person but in creating a culture of nonconsent.
Did you ever think maybe the child needed to be spanked more when younger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

CrazyLoon posted:

I'd say in the mid 90s Origin way of doing video games was legit, simply because adding some movies inbetween could still add an interesting flavor to a game's setting. Crusader games were cool back then, Privateer 2 was nice, Freelancer was sweet...But yea, today that way is a goddamn dinosaur and CR just can't escape that mindset and insists on tailoring all gameplay decisions around it lol.

It's not so much the fmv mindset, it's that they are just cashing in on all their nostalgia with bullshit.

You can't look at SotA and say it looks reminiscent of the Origin quality of old. It looks terrible.

On the other hand though, SC looks great but has the programming skill of a mediocre modding team.

It'd of been nice if they didn't do this just for the money, but it looks that way. Garriott is phoning it in for Ultima fans, and CR just picked up good artists and ran with it.

However even as bad as it looks, I think SotA is still more of an actual game than SC is. Though admittedly I haven't played either so... :jerry:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Keep on bitching you goonie (tm) cuntiflaces, what other game has this kind of fidelity:

I'll be worth the wait!

When carrying heavy boxes, it's highly recommended that you be sure to crouch at a weird angle and carry it.

Glad they are working on this poo poo while the game itself has no mechanics.

However as you know, mocap saves any game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

When carrying heavy boxes, it's highly recommended that you be sure to crouch at a weird angle and carry it.

Glad they are working on this poo poo while the game itself has no mechanics.

However as you know, mocap saves any game.

Sorry goonie but as you can see by the hand positions (that they spent thousands of dollars capturing) the boxes are empty!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Why are they loading future hi tech spaceships by hand?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BeigeJacket posted:

Fidelity!

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

trucutru posted:

Fidelity!

Chris Roberts is a fool.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

HycoCam posted:

Did you ever think maybe the child needed to be spanked more when younger?

I had him (and still do) on a tight leash with a firm hand. To be honest I just want him to pvp in a safe and consensual manner.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

BeigeJacket posted:

Black people need work too in the 'verse.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
wait, I'm confused, which one is surface detail?

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

wait, I'm confused, which one is surface detail?

Surface detail is extremely normal and sane and does not have schizophrenia. Best of luck to the other guy though.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

this is the best yet

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

CaptainBtaksDad posted:

He's doing well. Hes not currently happy with the PU though. There is a lot of non consensual pvp occurring and I think goons are partially to blame, if not in person but in creating a culture of nonconsent.

does he face the wall when eating at the dinner table to avoid accidental eye contact and become griefed?

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

nawledgelambo posted:

does he face the wall when eating at the dinner table to avoid accidental eye contact and become griefed?

He rarely eats at the table. In the general vicinity though there is a high sec zone where food can be traded for simple services like dishwashing and smalltalk. I set it up pillowfort style with some of his stuffed animals as guards. No one is allowed in there without his and general fluff's consent.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Don't enjoy a game where you're stuck in a prison getting raped? Simple solution, just hire your sister as an NPC crew member, then when your're taken into custody, you just swap bodies like in GTA5 and start planning your prison raid.

quote:

Hi,

i want to come up with an immersive and realistic solution for a prison mechanic.

My 2 main goal were:
1. Don't force players to prison games etc., but provide the possibilies.
2. Characters that are captured stay so until the get released/freeed in some way.

The solution to this contains the implemention of some major game mechanics:
1. related NPCs

A related NPC belong to a small group of NPCs that are bound to a player character. They can be family members or friends of the character. They behave like other NPCs in the PU except some exceptions:
- They stay at their current location (except they are part of the crew). Therefore they don't travel through the PU by themself.
- They can be called to the main characters place. This may take some time, because they have to travel from their current location to the player. Even if it's unlikely, accidents and pirates can influence the outcome of a journey. If a player calls his related NPC through the half PU, this may be a long and dangerous journey. Of course they player has to pay for the expenses of the related NPC (flight tickets...)
- The reputation of the related NPC is to influenced by his actions. Therefore if a pirate player uses his related NPCs often in piracy missions, they NPCs may have an equal worse reputation than the main character.

If a player "hires" his related NPCs to his crew, they have to be paid equaly like regular NPCs from similar skill level would have been (to prevent having cheap NPCs).

2. escaping with main character

If your character gets captured by the legal or illegal forces you have two main options. First, continue playing with your main character (boring while in stasis). Second, switch to one of your related NPCs (more on this later).
While you are playing with your main character, you can try to escape your arrest. If your current status is in a stasis chamber, it wont be possible (except maybe you injected yourself some special "anto sleep" serum BEVOR you got caught). If you are in some kind of prison or in handcuffs etc. you can try to escape. This shouldn't be easy. Dependend on your emprisoned status (maybe you are a extrem dangerous enemy of the empire) you can get locked down into a high security facility, where an escape would be extrem difficult but possible.

3. character switch

The character switch allows you to choose exact ONE related NPC and make him to your switch character. This is only possible if your main character is captured. If your switch character dies, you can choose ONE other related NPC. If your main character dies final (no more recovery from the injuries) you can choose exact ONE of your related NPCs to became your new main character OR make a new main character from scratch. You can choose to switch back and fort from your switch character to your main character, but only as long as your main character remains captured and only to the ONE choosen switch character.

Unattached from this rules your switch character could hire other related NPCs to his crew if avaible.

4. rescue your main character
Because sitting in a stasis pod or prison cell is boring (if you can't find a way to escape) you can try to rescue your main character whilest in your switch character. Scenarios are possible where your hole pirate team (or what is still alive) got caught an is in the same prison. So a team players in their switch characters could try to free their buddies. Escaping and rescueing main characters from prisons is allways challenging, but the easiest way to do it is with a good team of players. If you have enough firepower you could even force the prison managment (whoever is in charge) to release them or you blow them up.
The limit is your imagination....!!!
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/61894/thread/prison-captured-characters-related-npcs

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"You guys need to realize that physically accurate reflections are near impossible to create in deferred shading type raster 3D engines like Lumberyard / Cryengine, Unreal, ID Tech, Frostbite, Snowdrop and so on, where there's lots of post processing going on. Real time reflections in modern games are of the screenspace kind; i.e. reflections are just programming tricks that mimic reflections, and look somewhat good until you actually scrutinize them - they cannot reflect anything that's not already visible on the screen."

lol

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/improved-graphics-but-more-needed/225742

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
ORIGIN 350R DISAPPEARS BEYOND 800 METERS

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 In either the P.U. or Arena Commander find any 350R
2 Put yourself at a distance of greater than 800 meters
3 Observe as the 350 disappears

ACTUAL RESULT
350R Disappears at distances greater than 800 meters, and jumps several LoD steps.

EXPECTED RESULT
At least be able to see the 350R between 800-1500 meters instead of an empty target box.

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Edit: Catte tax.

Goosfraba fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

ORIGIN 350R DISAPPEARS BEYOND 800 METERS

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 In either the P.U. or Arena Commander find any 350R
2 Put yourself at a distance of greater than 800 meters
3 Observe as the 350 disappears

ACTUAL RESULT
350R Disappears at distances greater than 800 meters, and jumps several LoD steps.

EXPECTED RESULT
At least be able to see the 350R between 800-1500 meters instead of an empty target box.

These little bug reports never fail to make me smile

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2017

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Looking forward to when Chris pisses off intel and star citizen starts advertising as powered by Qualcomm.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Exinos posted:

Looking forward to when Chris pisses off intel and star citizen starts advertising as powered by Qualcomm.

I think CIG powered by Cyrix would be a good mix of both nostalgia and failure.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : proudly sponsors ANUS-cleaner For all your anus cleaning needs.

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I love the schedule reports

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
I just read the seedinvest stuff for Lord BRITISH and his Imaginary crap game.

They don't believe they will subject to trends.

Holy poo poo, that is delightful.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/871134137553477632

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Can I hire psychologically traumatized NPCs to gain an advantage??

quote:

Like all science, the history of the reaction time discovery is peculiar. Dutch physiologist F.C. Donders in 1865 began to think about human reaction time and if it was measurable. Prior to his studies scientists thought that human mental processes were too fast to be measured. This assumption was proved incorrect with the help of Charles Wheatstone, an English scientist and inventor.
In 1840 Wheatstone invented a device, much like his early telegraph system invention, that recorded the velocity of artillery shells. Donders used that device to measure the time it took from when a shock occurred on a patient's foot until when that patient pressed a button. The button had to be pressed by the left or right hand matching the left or right foot that was shocked.
His study tested 2 conditions: in the first, the patient knew in advance which foot was to be shocked; in the other condition, the patient did not know.

Donders discovered a 1/15 second delay between patients who knew which foot was to be shocked versus patients that did not know. Notably, this was the first account of the human mind being measured!

https://backyardbrains.com/experiments/reactiontime

Now one can imagine that people with PTSD are one a permanent guard. ''Enemies everywhere going to jump me at any time''
I read on the net that peeps with PTSD can freeze a lot of times. Total block.
But I can also understand some actually doing the opposite. Instant reply/fight/run.
In the last case I would guess that the 1/15 seconds delay (or even bigger ones/variants for gaming purposes) other A.I. get does not count for them.
They were 'expecting' any attack at any time. (Can you imagine living like that? Even the strong can fall... and some weak might be the strong ones.   )

Now when programming A.I. In turrets one might wanna consider this.
A.I. with PTSD (the non-freezing version) might intercept a torpedo by shooting it out of the air in time, where an A.I. not having this big issue might respond too late/almost to late in more cases.

Meaning that recruiting PTSD A.I. might give you a quiker gun. (and in bar brawls he is also never surprised when Stabby Soil wants to put a knife in his back and get's a poke in the eye himself instead)
But also a bigger psy med bill, needing more relax time, and if he/she cooked you better smile after the first bite  

Does this make sense?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/61894/thread/a-i-response-time-and-a-i-with-ptsd

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

Keep on bitching you goonie (tm) cuntiflaces, what other game has this kind of fidelity:

I'll be worth the wait!

Deus Ex (2000)

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

I know someone who will have a heart attack when he finds this kickstarter.

Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Volume 2

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Amazing Zimmo posted:

I know someone who will have a heart attack when he finds this kickstarter.

Wing Commander Orchestral Recording Volume 2

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

lol it got $10,000 more expensive
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1373816047/wing-commander-orchestral-recording-project-volume

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Rudager posted:

My only programming experience is writing little things to do simple jobs at work in C# and learning stuff in university, but holy poo poo, just watching that part blew my mind. What libraries in C++ are was literally like the first thing they taught us.

Hell, the value of code reuse has been well understood by any programmer that's worth a drat since at least the emergence of structured programming in the 50s. Libraries, OOP, modular programming, and all the rest are (at least partially) evolutions of the theme: "don't write the same poo poo twice, idiot".

I got the message about 10 trillion years ago when I was introduced to BASIC's GOSUB on my VIC-20. Congrats to CIG for figuring it out now, though. Gold star.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sappo569 posted:

How can surface outposts be done if they JUST added surface outpost lighting... like

These updates make less sense each time

Because creating a scene, is different from lighting it correctly. They may have only just created it, but now need to adjust environment lighting around the base, as well as lighting from the space surroundings.

LoD (2017) // complete and final lighting

LoD (2011) // original "base" lighting

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I haven't had a decent vacuum in a decade. What brand or kind of vacuum should I be shopping for? TIA

edit: this is a dumb post for the top of a new page. PS i searched the thread and you guys seemed to point to Miele

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 4, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I haven't had a decent vacuum in a decade. What brand or kind of vacuum should I be shopping for? TIA

Dyson

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
vacuums are too loud

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Because creating a scene, is different from lighting it correctly. They may have only just created it, but now need to adjust environment lighting around the base, as well as lighting from the space surroundings.

At least you promised two seats and delivered I just want to know why the front passenger is facing the passenger at the back. Is this the early draft of topgun 2?

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

Blue cheese and yogurt

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Lord Kinbote posted:

At least you promised two seats and delivered I just want to know why the front passenger is facing the passenger at the back. Is this the early draft of topgun 2?

I think those are seats.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Miele

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

D_Smart posted:

thats...not actually a terrible looking game! that actually looks like it has some character. but derek, why does the planet have to be brown :( cant you make a cool forest planet or a monsoon planet or a bunch of coral atoll islands or somethin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

his nibs posted:

"You guys need to realize that physically accurate reflections are near impossible to create in deferred shading type raster 3D engines like Lumberyard / Cryengine, Unreal, ID Tech, Frostbite, Snowdrop and so on, where there's lots of post processing going on. Real time reflections in modern games are of the screenspace kind; i.e. reflections are just programming tricks that mimic reflections, and look somewhat good until you actually scrutinize them - they cannot reflect anything that's not already visible on the screen."

lol

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/improved-graphics-but-more-needed/225742

It is true. It is a 'trick' because it fails to reflect things you can't see in the screen, along with other artefacts that need be covered up. It is a bit hacky compared to doing planar reflections by drawing the inverted view behind the mirror surface, which can represent all information.