Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
http://toastytech.com/evil/buttons.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
more like INactiveX amirite

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

edgier than hanzo steel

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Speaking of edgy, I wonder how that guy feels about Edge

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/bbaskin/status/870707089282183169

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

At least they asked instead of just doing it I guess. I'm sure that will be fixed in a coming update

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
and soon after that the first worm emerges that uses .bash_history to hide :hehe:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
they just wanna know why you're using bash on windows

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SupSuper posted:

they just wanna know why you're using bash on windows
that's not where the bash on windows .bash_history file is

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

anthonypants posted:

that's not where the bash on windows .bash_history file is

they just wanna know why you're using bash on windows and not using the vastly superior windows subsystem for linux

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

SupSuper posted:

they just wanna know why you're using bash on GNU/Windows

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
bwhahahaha

quote:

Microsoft’s Looking to Reboot Mobile with New Software and Hardware
Posted on May 30, 2017 by Brad Sams in Mobile, Windows Phones

With the demise of Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile well documented, those who have been holding out for Microsoft to break back into the mobile space with their own hardware and software have had little hope on the horizon. Further, with Microsoft seemingly putting an end to current RS3 development for mobile with the Feature 2 branch for current Windows Mobile devices, it appeared to be the nail in the coffin.

But, the road is not a dead end or at least, for the Microsoft faithful who want to see first party hardware again, there is hope on the horizon. Two independent sources inside of Microsoft have told me that there is a new hardware device being tested internally and that there is also a separate branch of Windows Mobile for this device.

I have been hearing about the software update for some time and the added hardware component makes sense as the company is pursuing “new experiences” with this device. Additionally, the UI is expected to be different than what we know today as Windows Mobile but the exact changes are still evolving as we are in the early days of development of this experience.

There may also be another ‘cut’ in the support for older applications with the new mobile experience. I have heard, but am not able to fully confirm at this time, that Silverlight applications may not longer work with the updated OS.

At this time, everything is still in early development and plans may change dramatically in the months ahead. The timeline for release is all over the map but seeing as active development is in the works and it is slightly beyond pure development stage, the release shouldn’t be too far way. But in the world of Microsoft, this could be a year or more (or less if it receives good reviews internally and gets fast tracked).

Last week on the Sams Report, I noted how Microsoft will likely re-enter the mobile space as this area is critical to the company’s long-term success; it’s in the second half of the episode that you can find here. Microsoft desperately wants to find a way to penetrate this market and has proven that they are willing to spend big money on trying to gain any notable market share in the mobile space.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
cool thats 5 different, incompatible operating systems in less than a decade. i like our strategy!! -the ballmer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nothing is written in Silverlight for windows phones. its all uwp these days.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
gimme that sweet party hardware

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

nothing is written for windows phones.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

nothing is written in Silverlight

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

nothing is written in Silverlight or for windows phones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hopefully this means I don't have to get a Linux phone

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Shaggar posted:

nothing is written

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it can hardly be worse than anroid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios is Linux too. but atleast most android phones have a headphone jack.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
the SCCM Software Center still requires Silverlight in the latest build in 2017

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft delivers what we've all been clamouring for, more skus!

NT Workstation's back baby!

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

as does the skype for business server control panel

it's a webpage with silverlight

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the rest of the site's good for a laugh too

quote:

Somewhere around this point, people began spewing mindless drivel about how browsers would somehow magically replace operating systems eventually, and how in the future all applications would be "web based". This, of course, got Microsoft's attention.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

AtomD posted:

as does the skype for business server control panel

it's a webpage with silverlight

sccm's case is a little worse since it means silverlight is on every workstation in your environment

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

loving hearty lol at people still mentioning the words silver light in two thousand seventeen year of pissss

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AWWNAW posted:

year of pissss
im not liking the way this infinite jest sequel is shaping up

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

im not liking the way this infinite jest sequel is shaping up

i like that in the decembrists video when the icbms start messing about in the form of tennis balls it's YDAU

Year of Dolan rear end Undergarments

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im getting tired of windows arbitrarily switching my clock an hour backwards, this has happened twice in two days, again

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Is it auto-detecting your timezone wrong?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is it auto-detecting your timezone wrong?

i've run into this too, and the timezone displayed is correct, as is the dst setting, the clock is simply off by an hour. if you set it manually, then turn the internet time settings back on it stays at the correct time (for me anyway)

happened on server 2016 and windows 10 pro

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

haven't we had smb direct for a while?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

speaking about bitching about time, if you google "mountain standard time" you get the wrong time, you have to google "phoenix time". i had an interview where the guy called me when i was asleep and i had a turbo panic session about it until i figured that out

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hifi posted:

haven't we had smb direct for a while?

server to server only, presumably this adds workstation support

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

ios is Linux too. but atleast most android phones have a headphone jack.

iOS sound actually works tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

i've run into this too, and the timezone displayed is correct, as is the dst setting, the clock is simply off by an hour. if you set it manually, then turn the internet time settings back on it stays at the correct time (for me anyway)

happened on server 2016 and windows 10 pro

yeah, win 10 home here and it autodetects dst/tz correctly, i just have to resync it manually every now and then

• Locked thread