Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it looks stylish, too bad the actual movie's kind of bad.

It's a real shame. A cartoonist's creation stealing his creator's body is an awesome idea that just doesn't quite come together, even with all the right pieces.

I'm tempted to give Cool World another shot, but I remember a lot more of it and yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love this loving song and always have.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm in the theater waiting for Captain Underpants and there's a row reserved for a birthday party and God help me.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inkspot posted:

It's a real shame. A cartoonist's creation stealing his creator's body is an awesome idea that just doesn't quite come together, even with all the right pieces.

I'm tempted to give Cool World another shot, but I remember a lot more of it and yikes.

It's been some years, but they never did end up keeping those nightmare-making toys out of people's hands - so while Monkeybone got stopped, the hero still technically failed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImpAtom posted:

I love this loving song and always have.

It's catchy and it gives some slightly sympathetic insight into orcs' character. It's great.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm in the theater waiting for Captain Underpants and there's a row reserved for a birthday party and God help me.

:rip:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's catchy and it gives some slightly sympathetic insight into orcs' character. It's great.

It also ties in nicely with Wizards, where the supposedly "evil" race has to be tricked or driven into waging war.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Captain Underpants is amazingly charming. Character design and voice acting are spot-on. I had a stupid grin on my face the whole time.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Rated PG, so that'll happen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Movie is good! Echoing a couple posts up!

Also the Flip-O-Rama was great.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 3, 2017

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

In on topic news, I just watched Bakshi's Lord of The Rings and my God is it the most boring thing I've ever seen.

*two minutes of exposition*
*five minutes of poorly superimposed men in Orc costumes running.*

Repat until the film runs out.

I absolutely loved that movie as a kid, I've seen it multiple times, and a lot of what I think LotR looks like comes directly from there (I've always been a firm believer in the winged Balrog, for example). I'm never going to watch it again because that's a whole lot of nostalgia I don't want to ruin.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Rankin-Bass movies own, the LotR movie itself, not so much.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know I've probably said it in the thread before, but it still amazes me that the Rankin-Bass version of A Christmas Carol is the darkest version I have ever seen.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Why does everyone hate Cartoon Brew so much? Like, I know it's lame and has very little of value and barely updates, but people online act like you're talking about Breitbart.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Unmature posted:

Why does everyone hate Cartoon Brew so much? Like, I know it's lame and has very little of value and barely updates, but people online act like you're talking about Breitbart.

The writers aren't like literally the worst people ever, but they've always been mean and petty on like a personal level. Like the last time I gave any sort of attention to that site was when the Clarence Cartoon Network scandal was going around, and they linked to the victim's twitter and personal information in their articles despite her wishes just because it's not like she could do anything about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It is kind of odd though, why didn't they ever do their own version of Fellowship and/or Two Towers?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Man I love Rankin-Bass's 2D animation. It had this look to it I think it was the guy who did the concept art for Zelda 1. I love how'd he draw all the characters and stuff. I guess they must have stopped during The Last Unicorn, wikpedia says the company went bankrupt.

Wait hold on they did something else after Last Unicorn?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn9xV6_yyG0

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Flight of Dragons kind of sucks but watch it anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Rankin-Bass Hobbit is really good- the style of animation works really well, there's a solid voice cast, and the songs (mostly from Tolkien, though I understand he had specific ideas for the melodies as well) fit into the story.

Return of the King is a much more clumsy affair- they had to make up most of the songs and find weird places for them, the animation isn't quite up to the demands of the story, and of course they had to really work to both condense the story and make it mostly work as a direct sequel to The Hobbit, etc. The Eowyn scene is particularly clumsy since it's really obvious a woman is speaking from the start, and it's kinda out of nowhere since most of the context is gone. But it was actually my first exposure to the story and to someone of about 9-10, this was downright apocalyptic poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh and another thing: Before Captain Underpants, I saw the same drat trailer for Leap that I did three fuckin' months ago, when's this garbage coming out?!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think I may double feature Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants tomorrow. should be legit. only question is, in what order?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd say Wonder Woman first, because Captain Underpants is kind of more a low-key movie, so it'll be good to bring you down from what should be Wonder Woman's rip roarin' action.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hoping to catch Captain Underpants and Wonder Woman next week...not sure which to go with first.

Hedrigall, what'd you think of Once Upon a December? :3 It's kind of generic, but it's not TOO bad and the first time Ana sings it in the movie, the animation with the ghosts and all that coming back for the dance number was always really nice to watch.

Unmature posted:

mycot posted:

The writers aren't like literally the worst people ever, but they've always been mean and petty on like a personal level. Like the last time I gave any sort of attention to that site was when the Clarence Cartoon Network scandal was going around, and they linked to the victim's twitter and personal information in their articles despite her wishes just because it's not like she could do anything about it.

I also recall them being major dicks to C.H. Greenblatt as well. They took some poo poo he said on his personal Tumblr about Nickelodeon out of context and got him in major trouble with Nickelodeon who then forced him to send a public apology to Nickelodeon to Cartoon Brew for them to post on their site. He then removed his personal thoughts on the matter of how Nick was handling Harvey Beaks from his blog and just stopped talking about it.

I was lucky enough to see the posts before Cartoon Brew intentionally hosed him over. They were highly critical on how the show was handled and about how Cartoon Network treated him just as bad with Chowder. But he said he still had the utmost respect for Nickelodeon and just didn't want to work for them after the show was done. CB decided to make it seem like he hated Nickelodeon (and CN) just for laughs and clickbait money. Cartoon Network didn't seem to give a poo poo what he said as they never contacted him or CB on the matter.

Basically, it seems like Cartoon Brew is the Verge / IGN / [enter your favorite site to hate here] of the animation world to a lot of people. Except they actually are terrible and most of the time it's not hyperbole.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There was also the Nut Job 2 trailer and it convinced me that the fact that we willed the embodiment of "gently caress you, it's January" to having a summer sequel is proof that irony needs to die.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hedrigall, what'd you think of Once Upon a December? :3 It's kind of generic, but it's not TOO bad and the first time Ana sings it in the movie, the animation with the ghosts and all that coming back for the dance number was always really nice to watch.

It's a nice enough song. My favourite song from the movie was probably Journey to the Past though. It was catchy! Not too fond of the end credits version however.

I still can't get over how awful all the Rasputin/Bartok stuff was. I still think it would have been much better as a realistic animated historical drama. Bartok fuckin sucks!!!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

It's a nice enough song. My favourite song from the movie was probably Journey to the Past though. It was catchy! Not too fond of the end credits version however.

I still can't get over how awful all the Rasputin/Bartok stuff was. I still think it would have been much better as a realistic animated historical drama. Bartok fuckin sucks!!!!

you should definitely catch the broadway musical then, if you're ever in New York or it starts touring, because there's not a Russian wizard or talking bat in sight. It's still not great, but it's definitely better. And still has the better songs from the movie.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lich Rasputin is the best thing in a mostly forgettable movie, wtf are you all on about

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Jesus Christ, I'll stop giving them my clicks.

And that Clarence thing still bothers me. How is that guy still allowed to make cartoons for children? He should go live in the same hole John K is in and maybe they'll molest each other to death.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Unmature posted:

And that Clarence thing still bothers me. How is that guy still allowed to make cartoons for children?

He...isn't? Last time I checked he was hospitalized and basically unperson'd from Cartoon Network.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Guy from Clarence was taken off the show immediately after the controversy. No idea what he's doing now.

By the way, Norm of the North is on Amazon Prime. I forced my friends to watch it last night and it holds up, it's a very entertaining (and brain-breaking) experience.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I may need some clarification on the Clarence thing.

But US animation seems to create some really bitter, petty people, even compared to other entertainment industries. I guess it's part how traditional animation has declined, partly how animators are treated as disposable unless you're really at the top of your field, it's just kind of not a good place.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Ultra Carp

Unmature posted:

Jesus Christ, I'll stop giving them my clicks.

And that Clarence thing still bothers me. How is that guy still allowed to make cartoons for children? He should go live in the same hole John K is in and maybe they'll molest each other to death.

:stare: Uh... should I ask what the hell happened, or am I better off not knowing?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Larryb posted:

It is kind of odd though, why didn't they ever do their own version of Fellowship and/or Two Towers?

Bakshi's film covering those two books had come out just two years before and they pretty much jumped in to finish off the story after Bakshi made it clear he wasn't going to do it himself. Rankin-Bass also went out of business not that long after. Also I get the picture that the animation industry at the end of the 80s was a fair bit different than at the start of the 80s so if anyone had gone back and made another animated LOTR film it would probably have looked totally different.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Rankin-Bass Hobbit is really good- the style of animation works really well, there's a solid voice cast, and the songs (mostly from Tolkien, though I understand he had specific ideas for the melodies as well) fit into the story.

Return of the King is a much more clumsy affair- they had to make up most of the songs and find weird places for them, the animation isn't quite up to the demands of the story, and of course they had to really work to both condense the story and make it mostly work as a direct sequel to The Hobbit, etc. The Eowyn scene is particularly clumsy since it's really obvious a woman is speaking from the start, and it's kinda out of nowhere since most of the context is gone.

Also someone went "Eh, there's way too many characters in this already, let's just dump these Gimli and Legolas losers completely" which was a lovely decision.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQi4zbT8fA

Haha this is amazing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suspect A posted:

Wow, I missed a ton of great films the past couple of years. Guess I'll marathon through a couple I've found. The Illusionist, The Painting, The Prophet, and April and the Extraordinary World.

Where's the cut of the Prophet that just straight up removes the framing device?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Oh, that's good to hear. I haven't heard anyone bring up the story since it was hot news and last I heard he was still on the show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, according to the crew, he didn't really do a whole lot on the show itself, so it wasn't much of a vacuum when they ghosted him.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

This short really reminds me of something from Kablam, what with the ugly characters and the jittery puppet animation. It's kind of charming.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:stare: Uh... should I ask what the hell happened, or am I better off not knowing?

Not gonna go into details but he sexually assaulted a co-worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, I gotta be sure: I'm not the only one who watched that sequence for the first time and thought, "Woah, what the hell. The Haunted Mansion?!?"
Right? Am I?