Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

How does this show manage to be so impressively boring? I watch it and find myself thinking, "This should be interesting," but somehow, it isn't. Magane could be an interesting character, but she constantly speaks in nonsense and drones on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Pros: Magane trying to bullshit people with her sophistry is substantially more entertaining than Meteora reading off the script, and her goofy body language and expressions help this.

Cons: Literally the entire episode consisted of Magane trying to bullshit people with her sophistry, including ten full minutes of her trying to bait Sota into following a plan that was immediately wasted the moment other people showed up.

I'm still waiting for our actual main antagonist to do things, to be honest. The only thing she's done since the very beginning is kill Mamika, and that was in self defense.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Pictured: 90% of why I'm still watching this

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Magane is pretty much the best.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Being that aggressive on a first date is a bold move.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I wonder what part of Alice's story gives her all the critical reasoning abilities of Knuckles the echidna?

I'm glad that Meteora has at least learned to shut up tactically.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Did I accidentally miss a line where they explain that Magane's superpower is Convenient Positioning?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dzhay posted:

I wonder what part of Alice's story gives her all the critical reasoning abilities of Knuckles the echidna?

I'm glad that Meteora has at least learned to shut up tactically.

Alice is a super strict and honorable knight lady from a world where the enemies appear to just be incredibly powerful monsters, so I doubt there's much political intrigue going on in her source material. She's probably not used to people logic puzzling her.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

darkgray posted:

Did I accidentally miss a line where they explain that Magane's superpower is Convenient Positioning?

As I understand it, her power works by her saying a lie, then when the other person speaks and denies/contradicts it, the lie turns in on itself and becomes true as basically a new law of reality. She said "you wouldn't hit a girl like me", he said "yeah I would, I don't know a woman who wouldn't be knocked down by this", but since he spoke in response to her initial statement she was able to make it true. So now he literally cannot hit her with that attack, which is why it curves right around where she's standing. And Meteora pulled knowledge out of her rear end again and said the effect would last as long as Magane is alive.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Magane would be much better off if she had someone to bounce off of who wasn't a wet sack of potatoes. It felt like she was trying way too hard because she had to basically act for two people for that entire scene.

The setup with Alice felt incredibly weak and the only way it's going to work is if the characters stop talking completely. Which would probably improve the show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Alice is a super strict and honorable knight lady from a world where the enemies appear to just be incredibly powerful monsters, so I doubt there's much political intrigue going on in her source material. She's probably not used to people logic puzzling her.

Pretty odd all the same. I can't think of many manga with crappy monster filled medieval settings without nobles willing to screw everyone else over in exchange for a few more seconds before getting eaten. Heroes in those things tend to spend as much time getting undermined by the people they're supposedly protecting as they do getting attacked by the actual monsters.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Hargrimm posted:

As I understand it, her power works by her saying a lie, then when the other person speaks and denies/contradicts it, the lie turns in on itself and becomes true as basically a new law of reality. She said "you wouldn't hit a girl like me", he said "yeah I would, I don't know a woman who wouldn't be knocked down by this", but since he spoke in response to her initial statement she was able to make it true. So now he literally cannot hit her with that attack, which is why it curves right around where she's standing. And Meteora pulled knowledge out of her rear end again and said the effect would last as long as Magane is alive.

I don't mean the attack thing, I mean how Magane always manages to be in the right place at the right time, to overhear critical conversations or spot someone dying.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

darkgray posted:

I don't mean the attack thing, I mean how Magane always manages to be in the right place at the right time, to overhear critical conversations or spot someone dying.

Narratively Convenient Timing is just a default attribute of the Major Anime Pro/Antagonist archetype. Alice clearly has it too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Pretty odd all the same. I can't think of many manga with crappy monster filled medieval settings without nobles willing to screw everyone else over in exchange for a few more seconds before getting eaten. Heroes in those things tend to spend as much time getting undermined by the people they're supposedly protecting as they do getting attacked by the actual monsters.

it might be the sort of story where the entire point is the beautiful female protagonist's endless suffering. unfortunately, there are quite a few of those.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hargrimm posted:

Narratively Convenient Timing is just a default attribute of the Major Anime Pro/Antagonist archetype. Alice clearly has it too.

Alice actually has the inverse power, Narratively Inconvenient Timing, where she magically knows how to locate people and locations critical to the developing story but she only shows up to those situations just in time to completely misunderstand or misconstrue what's going on.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Kanos posted:

Alice actually has the inverse power, Narratively Inconvenient Timing, where she magically knows how to locate people and locations critical to the developing story but she only shows up to those situations just in time to completely misunderstand or misconstrue what's going on.

You could say her special power is the ability to create more suffering for herself, which looking into her world, she did a lot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Hargrimm posted:

And Meteora pulled knowledge out of her rear end again and said the effect would last as long as Magane is alive.

she read the el en

not a bad way to get the power list of an enemy

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It bothers me to no end that the magical girl have the time to say Alice's name like five time and ASK Megane to tell Alice what she said, but not succinctly tell Alice what happened.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
your brain sort of starts acting weird when its not getting oxygen when all your blood is pooled outside your body

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I dunno, it does feel hilariously contrived to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mamika aside, Alice has shown herself to be completely hateful of the creators, she loathes the real world, and is kind of running off the emotion of her closest friend in this reality dying horribly.

She has no real reason to suspect Altair did this either, because her only context for Altair's behavior has been her own experiences so far.

I can see why she's willing to believe the worst about Meteora.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The writer of Death Note is way better than this.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Hargrimm posted:

And Meteora pulled knowledge out of her rear end again and said the effect would last as long as Magane is alive.

As much as I loathe Meteora I think in this case it's fair to say it's an educated guess based on what she knows and observes. She's a smart mage or something, after all.

Also what the hell happened to Selesia? She was relevant for maybe an episode and now has Nichibros Tadakuni levels of participation in this anime.

If this weren't such an awful trainwreck I might have dropped it by now. I'm just sticking in hoping that Magane gets blown the gently caress out and a grand fashion for being such a stupid plot armor drama character.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
shes the plot exposition npc from a mmo. of course she pulls knowledge out of her rear end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mamika aside, Alice has shown herself to be completely hateful of the creators, she loathes the real world, and is kind of running off the emotion of her closest friend in this reality dying horribly.

She has no real reason to suspect Altair did this either, because her only context for Altair's behavior has been her own experiences so far.

I can see why she's willing to believe the worst about Meteora.

That's... not in question at all. Meteora was already her enemy as far as she's concerned, so this isn't even a twist, from Alice's perspective, just another tragedy in a sequence of tragedies. What I was talking about was Mamika spending her last breath to tell Alice to listen to Magane, even though it would've taken just as much time to tell Alice the truth herself ("Altair did this"). I mean, sure, blood loss, but the whole situation seems incredibly contrived, possibly because the series would end immediately if all the characters were honest with each other.

Which, incidentally, seems to be Magane's role in this whole thing. She extends the series by creating arbitrary mid-season conflict.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Iretep posted:

shes the plot exposition npc from a mmo. of course she pulls knowledge out of her rear end.

I got the impression it was more of an Etrian Odyssey type game. How would Meteora have beaten it in one night if it were an MMO anyway?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Clarste posted:

That's... not in question at all. Meteora was already her enemy as far as she's concerned, so this isn't even a twist, from Alice's perspective, just another tragedy in a sequence of tragedies. What I was talking about was Mamika spending her last breath to tell Alice to listen to Magane, even though it would've taken just as much time to tell Alice the truth herself ("Altair did this"). I mean, sure, blood loss, but the whole situation seems incredibly contrived, possibly because the series would end immediately if all the characters were honest with each other.

Which, incidentally, seems to be Magane's role in this whole thing. She extends the series by creating arbitrary mid-season conflict.

I was referring to the earlier stuff about Alice making poor decisions/being gullible. In this instance it feels in character for her. That's why I prefaced my post with "Mamika aside".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Zodack posted:

As much as I loathe Meteora I think in this case it's fair to say it's an educated guess based on what she knows and observes. She's a smart mage or something, after all.

Also what the hell happened to Selesia? She was relevant for maybe an episode and now has Nichibros Tadakuni levels of participation in this anime.

If this weren't such an awful trainwreck I might have dropped it by now. I'm just sticking in hoping that Magane gets blown the gently caress out and a grand fashion for being such a stupid plot armor drama character.

Selesia fell down the same plot hole that Altair herself did.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway the exchange between Yuuya and Mamane in this episode is amusing when you take into account their voice actors are married.

And then his wooden sword ends up having no effect on her. Hmmm.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm hoping the season climactic battle is actually Altair against Magane rather than any of the heroes being in it.

Also I don't recall any explanation on it, but given that the characters are pulled from fictional worlds in the first place, it's possible Mamika could be brought back in, though likely with different memories due to being from a different volume or season or something. They've still got a bunch of characters to get through though, so I don't know if it's too likely.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 5, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So Alice is probably gonna die when she finds out Magane bullshitted her and tries to impale her, right? Cause of the curse that Magane put on her regarding killing herself with that spear.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Well to parrot everyone else in the thread, this anime is too drat wordy, and I say that as someone who liked Medaka Box which was basically a novel with pictures in the background. It just takes so long to say anything and constantly repeats information to new characters instead of just assuming that information is relayed.

readingatwork posted:

Just finished ep 6 and I've realized that this show really needs some mcguffins for it's characters to chase. It's cliche' I admit but having the main villain need to collect the 6 legendary dildos of ultimate destruction before she could blow up the universe would provide the short-term goals and points of conflict that this series desperately needs. Right now both sides are just sort of killing time and talking about the plot and even when fights do happen it feels kind of forced since nothing is really at stake.

This is probably the biggest problem with the plot. Glasses boy is the macguffin, or at least what he knows about Altair and his relation to her creator is. In the sense that it's what is required to beat the big bad anyway, not so much in the sense that it's something that the characters had to work towards, hence the problem. This could have been interesting with glasses boy having to overcome his trauma, accept that failure is a part of being a creator etc etc and have it be a mental journey to the macguffin (plus an opportunity to actually explore the whole creator/created dynamic that's mostly been ignored since episode 4). Instead we get a bunch of talking and fighting that the audience knows is pointless and glasses boy, supposedly the protagonist, remains so boring and undeveloped that I can't even remember his name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Archer666 posted:

So Alice is probably gonna die when she finds out Magane bullshitted her and tries to impale her, right? Cause of the curse that Magane put on her regarding killing herself with that spear.

Good point. It should be a permanent effect, so it's still around. I'm guessing Alice is going to kill Meteora first though, or else this episode was entirely pointless.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clarste posted:

Good point. It should be a permanent effect, so it's still around. I'm guessing Alice is going to kill Meteora first though, or else this episode was entirely pointless.

Episodes being entirely pointless? In this anime? Say it isn't so :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

To be honest, it was entirely pointless anyway. Alice was already directly opposed to the protagonist group to the point of violent confrontation to begin with, with no real interest in listening to what they had to say. I have no idea why they devoted an entire scene to Magane manipulating Alice into doing something she was already doing quite willingly.

Narratively, Mamika could have died instantly while fighting Altair and literally nothing about this would have meaningfully changed besides Magane having very slightly less ammo to troll Sota with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, it's slightly different because now she's gunning especially for Meteora, instead of Selestia or anyone else. But you're right in that it certainly wouldn't have been unusual for Meteora to die in battle with Alice anyway.

Actually, that was kind of another contrived thing. Why in the world would Mamika have singled out Meteora?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kanos posted:

To be honest, it was entirely pointless anyway. Alice was already directly opposed to the protagonist group to the point of violent confrontation to begin with, with no real interest in listening to what they had to say. I have no idea why they devoted an entire scene to Magane manipulating Alice into doing something she was already doing quite willingly.

Narratively, Mamika could have died instantly while fighting Altair and literally nothing about this would have meaningfully changed besides Magane having very slightly less ammo to troll Sota with.

It wasn't an Alice scene, it was a Magane scene. Even if not much changed information-wise, Magane's role has been pretty clearly elevated to that of the major antagonist right about now. It also establishes her as irrationally subject to her personality traits: she knows Altair's deal, and Altair's end goals, but her desire to gently caress with everyone around her is stronger than any thoughts of trying to stop her, self-preservation be damned. It's still moving very slowly, but the scene was not pointless.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
any magane scene is not pointless, her smile is full of them

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
How long has it been since Altair was shown doing anything at all other than sitting in her depressing warehouse throne room? I think Magane is a more interesting antagonist, but it's kinda weird how she just shows up 5 episodes in and completely unseats Altair as the focus of most screen-time and the main threat to the protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

YF-23 posted:

It wasn't an Alice scene, it was a Magane scene. Even if not much changed information-wise, Magane's role has been pretty clearly elevated to that of the major antagonist right about now. It also establishes her as irrationally subject to her personality traits: she knows Altair's deal, and Altair's end goals, but her desire to gently caress with everyone around her is stronger than any thoughts of trying to stop her, self-preservation be damned. It's still moving very slowly, but the scene was not pointless.

Magane was already the major antagonist, as she's the only person in the show who has actually hurt/murdered innocent people and has already been established as blackmailing Sota. The only other antagonist has spent the last 9 episodes sitting in a throne room brooding and doing literally nothing. We've also already established that Megane is more interested in acting impulsively for her own entertainment than strictly intelligently, given that her intro scene consisted of her murdering the gently caress out of a completely innocent shopkeeper for literally no reason besides entertainment, an act that needlessly drew attention to her and made the various factions aware of her existence as a creation.

Nothing in the Alice scene presented strictly new information to the parties involved or meaningfully altered the plot. Then we spent another 10 minutes with Magane loving with Sota before Sota goes "nah".

• Locked thread