Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I have an Eirika but she hits like a limp noodle and the meta is pretty red-unfriendly right now.

So I use Sharena instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

And would you have needed those buffs if you could just make use of superior positioning and multiple attacks a dancer gives you?
Yes. OHKO/ORKO is king in this game. I'll take the extra fire power.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I keep wanting to sub out Eirika for Ephraim but all my big units that would raise my arena score are giant blue melee dudes and TA Eirika laughs at Nino and Hector even when there's +7 nonsense going on

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Yes. OHKO/ORKO is king in this game. I'll take the extra fire power.

What kind of garbage units are you using that can't ORKO an enemy unit of the color they have advantage against without full buffs? Besides, you can buff without Eirika, you can't dance without a dancer.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I have an Eirika but she hits like a limp noodle and the meta is pretty red-unfriendly right now.

So I use Sharena instead.

Fun fact, Eirika's base attack is 2 lower than Olivia's (effectively it's only 1 lower though since she gets an extra MT from having an unique weapon).

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 4, 2017

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Elyv posted:

I keep wanting to sub out Eirika for Ephraim but all my big units that would raise my arena score are giant blue melee dudes and TA Eirika laughs at Nino and Hector even when there's +7 nonsense going on
Raising my arena score is pretty much the only reason why I'm attempting Armor Emblem at this point. It's a bit annoying that 4840 score gets me in the top 100 in Tier 17 but doesn't get me close to leveling up in Tier 18. I'm not even sure a Hector/Effie/Zeph/Bonus unit team will even get that much. Maybe it'll be a bit easier next season because all the whales would have well and left these tiers in the dust.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Raising my arena score is pretty much the only reason why I'm attempting Armor Emblem at this point. It's a bit annoying that 4840 score gets me in the top 100 in Tier 17 but doesn't get me close to leveling up in Tier 18. I'm not even sure a Hector/Effie/Zeph/Bonus unit team will even get that much. Maybe it'll be a bit easier next season because all the whales would have well and left these tiers in the dust.

4822 score is rank 1173 in tier 18 right now. The cut off is rank 5048.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

What kind of garbage units are you using that can't ORKO an enemy unit of the color they have advantage against without full buffs? Basides, you can buff without Eirika, you can't dance without a dancer.
Andrast, you posting like an rear end in a top hat again and you don't appear to be even reading what I'm saying, so I'm bailing on our little exchange here.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

I'm currently advancing from Tier 18 very easily with a 4856 so you're not far off.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

Andrast, you posting like an rear end in a top hat again and you don't appear to be even reading what I'm saying, so I'm bailing on our little exchange here.

Sorry if I came across like an rear end. I'm just saying that if you have color advantage, you should probably be ORKOING the enemy without buffs. Unless you are using a blade tome or get OHKOed without them, the only buffs that affect ORKOING are attack and speed buffs and anyone can provide those, you don't need Eirika for that. Even the dancer is probably already providing one of those buffs.

Dancers just provide so much additional killing power and utility that buffs don't cover. It's also a niche that a non-dancer just can't do.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Having experimented extensively with both Olivia and Eirika in arena, I can say that Olivia makes my runs a million times easier and even having a merged Eirika didn't bump my score up that much compared to a normal 5 Star dancer so I just stuck with Olivia to save me a whole lot of grief

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That said, the only reason I'm not running Eirika in addition to my dancer is that an additional red unit doesn't really do anything for me. Maybe if we get a green dancer at some point.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

I'm still saying Eirika is the best character.

Do you mind posting your Eirika build, actually? I pulled a +Spd/-Res one a while ago and other than the Swordbreaker 2 I've got on her not sure what else she should inherit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BlackPersona posted:

Do you mind posting your Eirika build, actually? I pulled a +Spd/-Res one a while ago and other than the Swordbreaker 2 I've got on her not sure what else she should inherit.

I would go with fury or triangle adept for the A-slot. Personally I really like triangle adept on low-attack units so I would go with that. Luna is probably the best special for her since her balanced stats aren't that great for Draconic Aura/Bonfire/Iceberg.

If you want to go for the full buff build, the assist skill should be Rally defense so you can give her the sacred seal that gives fortify res, which means she can single-handedly buff all stats. If you have no need for that then give her the movement skill you like the most.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 4, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I tried Fury 2 and disliked it strongly because a fury eirika loses to a vantage hector. TA is great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Aw jeez, now I'm thinking about all the :cry: story.

Man, what happened to FE writing...

Awakening had a lot of good and/or funny bits despite some weak villains, and Echoes is pretty okay overall. It's just Fates that dove straight into the toilet.

Which was kind of odd when it came out, and with Echoes out it's just plain bizarre how badly they hosed Fates up.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Fates' story was messed up because they were mostly focused on the red and blue version thing and neither was the real story anyway. Because of the ~*~Choice of Fate~*~ being a thing Corrin was a necessarily bland, dumb, and unlikable character. Robin didn't have that problem.

It was a good game at least :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

THE loving MOON posted:

Fates' story was messed up because they were mostly focused on the red and blue version thing and neither was the real story anyway. Because of the ~*~Choice of Fate~*~ being a thing Corrin was a necessarily bland, dumb, and unlikable character. Robin didn't have that problem.

It was a good game at least :shrug:

I wouldn't go further than saying 2/3 of Fates had good gameplay

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the only Fates characters they can add that I'd be interested in pulling for non-mechanical reasons are Benny, Shiro and Shura. And chances are only Shiro would be any good.

Even in the current cast I can pick out maybe 4-5 that I actively like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like Velouria and Selkie but I can't think of any other Fates characters I'd be excited to pull

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I want an Azama variant with a spear and Iago as a dickish Red Mage with super rude debuffs from his tome and skillset.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Just pretend that Revelations doesn't exist

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

cheetah7071 posted:

You can at the very least play 1/3 of Fates and not feel like you missed out on much content, so you get a fun game for the whole ride.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly I would be interested in Rinka being a character to pull but I've never played fates, so that's more of an asthetic thing than liking the character. I'm still glad I skipped it and waited for echoes.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Rinkah has a strength growth of 25%, her existence is disappointment other than her aesthetic.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I would whale for Benny

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

Sorry if I came across like an rear end. I'm just saying that if you have color advantage, you should probably be ORKOING the enemy without buffs. Unless you are using a blade tome or get OHKOed without them, the only buffs that affect ORKOING are attack and speed buffs and anyone can provide those, you don't need Eirika for that. Even the dancer is probably already providing one of those buffs.

Dancers just provide so much additional killing power and utility that buffs don't cover. It's also a niche that a non-dancer just can't do.
I could stand to be a bit more patient too, sorry. Just so you know, for me personally, Azura only just ranks second only to Erika so it's not as if I'm saying everything you said is wrong.

But a lot of why Eirika edges it out for me hinges on blade tomes (and her higher BST for arena scoring, but that's mattered a bit less since arena rebalancing) because they're just that drat powerful. They're the "best" weapons in the game and she's the best at making them the best. There is very little in this game that can't be resolved with a blade tome. You often don't even need the additional killing power from another attack because the blade tome users just blow everything out of the water in one hit, sometimes even things that they have colour disadvantage for. Often that extra Rally Defense has been the difference between a blade tome OHKOing and dying on the counter, and that's something that a dancer will not solve. Dancers have unit positioning over Eirika if she decides to go full buff, but I still think it's better to slap Reposition or Draw Back on other units, keep everyone together, buffed and play cautiously. Eirika being able to also counter sord lords, Hector, Julia, etc just makes it all the nicer.

When it comes to the rest of the game/units, I actually was trying to think of an instance where Azura and Eirika aren't together, but no, not even those GHBs. The buff, attack, dance, drawback combo is just too effective for leveling, grinding, story maps, GHBs, etc. Even then I'd still probably take Eirika over Azura if I had to choose, but that's probably just because I personally tend to bait and play cautiously.

BlackPersona posted:

40+1, +ATK/-DEF
Sieglinde
Rally Defense
Moonbow
Distant Counter*
Swordbreaker
Hone Speed 3
Fortify Res seal

Distant Counter was solely to stop Cecilia and Julia in their tracks, and to turn her, essentially, into a red mage during the enemy's round. So far, it's been amazing. An +ATK stat has been incredible for her too, especially because she always is under the effect on Hone Attack because Nino is at her side.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 4, 2017

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Was Rinkah the girl with the abs and like, a perpetual 10 percent accuracy for her club

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

cheetah7071 posted:

But that 2/3 is better than anything in Awakening, IMO.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

But that 2/3 is better than anything in Awakening, IMO.

Awakening has solid characterization and good support conversations which is something that neither Birthright or Conquest have.

Conquest is still probably the most fun I've had playing a fire emblem game though.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Andrast posted:

Awakening has solid characterization and good support conversations which is something that neither Birthright or Conquest have.

Conquest is still probably the most fun I've had playing a fire emblem game though.
Which is what really shits me to tears because I've had more than one friend ask me how Fates was and I've had to basically say the gameplay is arguably the best in the series, but the story and characters are arguably the worst, and that's been a deal-breaker every time.

It probably doesn't help that I call it a "dumpster fire" but I gotta be honest.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I play Conquest if I want to have fun figuring out optimal strategy.

But if I don't have the time to stare out over a tiny screen for hours (because I'm bad at Fire Emblem) then I play Awakening.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
But really, how on earth did they manage to make it so the mobile gatcha game has more likable characters than Fates. Alphonse wouldn't stand for even half on that poo poo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roger Explosion posted:

But really, how on earth did they manage to make it so the mobile gatcha game has more likable characters than Fates. Alphonse wouldn't stand for even half on that poo poo.

Because the main problem with Fates cast is the actions they take in the story rather than like their actual character (the characters themselves are mostly just bland). And this game barely has a story so its not a problem for the Heroes OCs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Roger Explosion posted:

Which is what really shits me to tears because I've had more than one friend ask me how Fates was and I've had to basically say the gameplay is arguably the best in the series, but the story and characters are arguably the worst, and that's been a deal-breaker every time.

It probably doesn't help that I call it a "dumpster fire" but I gotta be honest.

It's only arguably the best gameplay if you've never played Thracia

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

It's only arguably the best gameplay if you've never played Thracia

Thracia really doesn't want you to play it though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

Thracia really doesn't want you to play it though

Thracia is like an endangered bird

Beautiful and majestic but you probably shouldn't touch it

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Roger Explosion posted:

Kind of scratching my head on this one tbh. Fates' cast was bad, but they were at least more interesting than Alphonse and Sharena. The difference is that Heroes barely even has a story.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sharena is a good character I think. Because she is very strong and my friend.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Heroes trio are better than a good chunk of Fates' main cast because they aren't tripping over themselves to one-up each other on how stupid they can act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sharena is a good character I think. Because she is very strong and my friend.

I can accept that. People were talking about Rinkah earlier and she is my friend even though I might never play the game she's playable in.