Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Raluek posted:

An LS3 E-rod crate is more than $8k here, so that's actually pretty competitive.

Agreed, even a Windsor SBF would make more power and be cheaper for aftermarket stuff. Ford is big over there, innit?

You'll definitely need those spares, too, if CSB's Rover V8 experience has taught me anything. Those motors just don't put out above-stock power for any amount of time. Domestic stuff can at least hold a steady 350HP without a whole lot of sweat.

Ford of europe.
Loads of inline 4s. not many things over.
Might find junked jags with working engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not sure just where this belongs, but it's mostly awesome so I'll put it here.

MotorTrend tests a Miata RF vs. a Toyota 86 on a road course. The best bit is the last five minutes where they compare them both to a Hellcat on the same course. It does not go well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSq5Zb5ZNWY

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Twin turbo small block powered Daytona replica I saw while running errands today

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

nm posted:

SBCs being cheap as gently caress?

That stopped being a thing around 2010-ish, in my experience.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

drgitlin posted:

Have an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV at the moment. It's every bit as good as you've heard. Plenty of annoying foibles but you just don't care because it's so much better than the sum of its parts. I'd pick one over an M3 or C63 AMG every time.

Even to live with? Most of the reports have been that it's very good but will also break down often.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Just give it a few more years until the LM/LQ/LY motors start getting plentiful in junkyards. We're in that weird middle ground where all the gen1 stuff (even L31) is high mile worn out stuff that you wouldn't want to run without a rebuild, but the gen3 stuff is too new to be plentiful (and thus cheap).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deteriorata posted:

The best bit is the last five minutes where they compare them both to a Hellcat on the same course. It does not go well.

Would have been nice if they'd had Randy drive the Hellcat just to have a fair comparison.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

razorscooter posted:

Twin turbo small block powered Daytona replica I saw while running errands today

But why blurple?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

Would have been nice if they'd had Randy drive the Hellcat just to have a fair comparison.

He did 1:26.87, according to some guy in the comments. So clearly the ape between the seat and steering wheel is the biggest limiting factor. Still, just think what an LS miata would do to that track.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Agreed, even a Windsor SBF would make more power and be cheaper for aftermarket stuff. Ford is big over there, innit?

Sadi posted:

I'm not sure how they are better though. DHOC V8s are so huge it's hard to fit them in much. A junkyard 5.3 is so loving cheap and with a junkyard turbo is talking pretty big numbers. (Also an aluminum sbc is so unreal light).
Basically, forget about any US V8 being cheap here. You might get one of the technically-it's-a-Ford-because-they-owned-them AJs Jaguar used, or a Grand Cherokee 4.7, but they're hardly peak WITNESS material.

Raluek posted:

You'll definitely need those spares, too, if CSB's Rover V8 experience has taught me anything. Those motors just don't put out above-stock power for any amount of time. Domestic stuff can at least hold a steady 350HP without a whole lot of sweat.
Yeah, they just don't seem to make power, and certainly not cheaply. And seems they then break all the same.

Probably the cheapest way to head toward FAI HUNNERT HOSSPOWA is something like the Audi 2.7 turbo V6 or adding boost to one of the popular inline 4/5/6 choices from an EU manufacturer, but if you want a V8, to be perfectly frank, the argument for a new crate LS or similar is much stronger here due to the lack of junkyard V8s.

I agree that an OHC or DOHC V8 is going to be much fatter across the heads and so harder to fit in a lot of things, but we're painted into a corner here. People want like $1k for an untested 350 SBC bare engine.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Night Danger Moose posted:

I was on a podcast with Mr Regular today here at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle. I confess to being star struck enough that I sounded like more of an idiot than normal. I gave him a beer and he gave me a hug. It's been a good day.

Holy crap that's awesome. Very jealous!

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Ether Frenzy posted:

But why blurple?

Why ferrari badges on a kit car?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

For the aluminum-block stuff, ya. Iron-block gen3/4 stuff is still laughably cheap, particularly if you're ok with the unpopular small-displacement flavors.

This article is pretty much the most over-the-top example, but a few years back, HRM made 1200hp on an almost-completely stock bottom-end 4.8. More realistically, they made 450hp and 380lbft naturally aspirated with ported heads and little else. (Most of the mods done on the top end were to support the twin 76mm turbos they made the big front-page numbers with.)

Gen3/4 Chevrolets are loving nuts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
In 2009 I bought a 4-bolt main SBC block in good shape for $150. I sold it when I moved a few states over. In 2013 I looked for another, and prices were over 400 for a block and haven't improved (I've also moved to yet another state). YMMV I guess.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

AlmightyPants posted:

Even to live with? Most of the reports have been that it's very good but will also break down often.

Took it to an Italian car show in Vienna this morning, and an identical one parked next to us. He's had his since December and said it's been totally reliable so far.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

That's.... certainly a thing.
That's certainly an :italy: thing.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

razorscooter posted:

Where is that?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I seem to be on a Porsche cell phone pics streak lately. I don't recall if I've seen this generation in dark green before, does anyone know offhand if that's a factory color?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

Where is that?

It was at a small car show in Spokane.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

davebo posted:

I seem to be on a Porsche cell phone pics streak lately. I don't recall if I've seen this generation in dark green before, does anyone know offhand if that's a factory color?

Looks like Amazon Green.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

davebo posted:

Really anything can be a factory color with paint to sample cars roaming around.

edit: not blue enough for amazon, voting forest green

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 5, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

razorscooter posted:

It was at a small car show in Spokane.

1957 Olds Fiesta wagon! Those things are so cool. To top it off, the stock engine is a 3-duece Olds OHV V8.
That's a really pretty example, tastefully done.

edit: Oh, hey, it was in Street Rodder! According to the article, it still has the original Olds 371, too.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0901sr-1957-oldsmobile-wagon/

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 5, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
for sale: sporty little runabout, low miles

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

About the only good thing about them is they're cheap and common, and don't weigh too much.

I've always felt their popularity is a serious emperor's new clothes situation.

A guy I know wedged one into an old Vauxhall Viva. Lights the tyres with little effort. He was going to wedge a larger one in but decided what it has (the 3.5) was enough for how light the car is, I can vouch for it being a whole lot of fun...

Not the best engines but certainly not the worst.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A Chrysler product from the 80's that still runs? :monocle:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

People want like $1k for an untested 350 SBC bare engine.

A workmate building a Cobra replica is up to about £5k for his Windsor on purchase, rebuild & stroker kit. Probably going to spend another £2k on carbs and equipping the heads. I mean he wants a carb'd Ford and he got it but man, those maths don't appeal to me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

I saw a K-car the other day. Looked like it was in good condition too!
Oh and a Pontiac Acadian too, now that I think about it. Who does that??

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fridge corn posted:

for sale: sporty little runabout, low miles

Dear Bugatti. The white paint looks so much better than the blue, please advertise with it.

(Seriously, I think Bugatti's are ugly but that one actually isn't bad with the white)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A guy I know wedged one into an old Vauxhall Viva. Lights the tyres with little effort. He was going to wedge a larger one in but decided what it has (the 3.5) was enough for how light the car is, I can vouch for it being a whole lot of fun...

Not the best engines but certainly not the worst.
But did he try to get a chunk more power out of it? I mean, for "I need a common V8 with enough power, cheap", fair enough, but I honestly believe that if you start spending "real" money on them, you're barking up the wrong tree.

cakesmith handyman posted:

A workmate building a Cobra replica is up to about £5k for his Windsor on purchase, rebuild & stroker kit. Probably going to spend another £2k on carbs and equipping the heads. I mean he wants a carb'd Ford and he got it but man, those maths don't appeal to me.
Thing is, you could just buy a brand new crate engine for that money, all ready to go and with a warranty. The primary advantage an old block has is being able to sidestep the emissions requirements.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

But did he try to get a chunk more power out of it? I mean, for "I need a common V8 with enough power, cheap", fair enough, but I honestly believe that if you start spending "real" money on them, you're barking up the wrong tree.

He had it sat about, it was the test engine basically to see if something bigger would fit. It had the most minimum of money thrown at it which is about right imo, and now his car is super fun to drive and makes v8 noises. :black101:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

He had it sat about, it was the test engine basically to see if something bigger would fit. It had the most minimum of money thrown at it which is about right imo, and now his car is super fun to drive and makes v8 noises. :black101:
Yeah, that's kind of where I pigeonhole them.

An old guy from my dad's local car club years ago somehow managed to shoehorn one into an MG Midget.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

iospace posted:

Dear Bugatti. The white paint looks so much better than the blue, please advertise with it.

(Seriously, I think Bugatti's are ugly but that one actually isn't bad with the white)

Maybe it's just the angle that one was photographed from, but the line down the back between the fender and the taillights makes it look like a bad aftermarket flare job to me.

Agreed on the colour though, Bugatti blue is not their strongest suit.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ether Frenzy posted:

Looks like my Monstercross bike

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
This is an awesome Midwest pothole survival vehicle, and I love the quarter panel exit exhaust.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Modus Man posted:

This is an awesome Midwest pothole survival vehicle, and I love the quarter panel exit exhaust.

This is what i see:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Modus Man posted:

Been trying a similar thing on my Golf, need cash-money for new tires which'll add another 1" of lift.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The suspension can just accept 1" more radius no problem?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

making GBS threads hell!

http://i.imgur.com/segyFJgh.gif

(url in case the gif doesn't play)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The suspension can just accept 1" more radius no problem?
Ya know what, I think I misremembered there. By going with these 205/75/15 tires from 195/65/15 that only .5" inch will be added. I've done a buncha measuring and I'm confident that they'll fit. In the event they don't, I'm prepared to cut some away from the car since I really don't care about the resale on this thing. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I looked at doing something similar on my Charger, and found a bolt securing the base of the strut only half an inch over the tire. I still upsized a few mm.