Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nice of them to release a hotfix that breaks all the mods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Sylink posted:

Nice of them to release a hotfix that breaks all the mods.

I am using a decent number of mods and nothing broke on my end. I did have to turn all my mods back on again though.

Which ones are broken for you?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I had to reload my mods because it was giving me a weird flickering black screen and then my save was messed up because somehow 3 of my pawns had vanished completely. But other than that it was ok. (Thankfully I was still in year 1.)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

beerinator posted:

I am using a decent number of mods and nothing broke on my end. I did have to turn all my mods back on again though.

Which ones are broken for you?

They mostly work except those popular star wars ones, I have those installed and they are breaking it. Oh well.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Viscous Soda posted:

Does anyone know which XML the "Pay X to request a caravan" is in? Because I think Tynan has over compensated a bit on the price increase and I'd love to reduce it a bit.

Just need more artists and human leather dusters. It gets to where the cost is no thing

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I am running two colonies now. It looks like if a master is in one coming while it's assigned animal is in another, it generates a pathing error that pauses the game. Super annoying. Anyone seein this?

lashawna
Jul 8, 2013

"Yes, I'd like to be king of all Londinium and wear a shiny hat."
Anyone had luck clearing the new outposts as tribals? Rolled in to one, having gathered a few decent guns for my hitters and got properly trounced. Do they increase in difficulty as well?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I have a couple cannibal colonists, how can I make use of that trait without making everyone else too sad? Like if I use them to butcher humans, everyone else magically knows about it and gets sad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

A Moose posted:

I have a couple cannibal colonists, how can I make use of that trait without making everyone else too sad? Like if I use them to butcher humans, everyone else magically knows about it and gets sad.

The "we butchered humanlike" isn't all that bad, and it doesn't stack, so you can actually butcher raiders without too much trouble. As long as you don't cook the meat into meals (non cannibals won't eat the meat, cannibals will and gain a strong positive mood that outweighs the raw meat one) you'll be fine. It's free leather and a little easier on your food stocks depending on how many cannibals you have :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Make attackers into kibble, always.

Save them up and do a dozen at a time if you are worried about morale. Best if they are behind a door in the freezer so people don't see them, though

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I just spent an entire season recruiting a superstar dude I was holding as prisoner, only to realize at the end that he has a shattered pelvis and is permanently incapacitated.

I did a similar thing the other day with a guy who was shot through the brain and was basically a vegetable. But I was able to recruit him somehow... :shrug:

The game really needs to get better about communicating health status. Digging through various menus and having to mouse over each status to find out what it is gets annoying fast. Some sort of warning like "hey, you are trying to recruit this guy but he is disabled" would be nice, too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah you should always look at the health tab for anyone you capture, I just get rid of anybody with anything seriously wrong with them (cancer, heart problem, bad back etc). I like to think they find a much nicer place and settle down and live a long comfortable life :shrug:

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
I like keeping bed-ridden prisoners around. They are an easy way for my warden to level up his social skill and they never try to escape!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah you should always look at the health tab for anyone you capture, I just get rid of anybody with anything seriously wrong with them (cancer, heart problem, bad back etc). I like to think they find a much nicer place and settle down and live a long comfortable life :shrug:

Yeah, I'm pretty good about catching it if it's something obvious like a blown off arm or leg, but I didn't realize shattered pelvis means incapacitation and that it has no recourse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

enraged_camel posted:

Man, I just spent an entire season recruiting a superstar dude I was holding as prisoner, only to realize at the end that he has a shattered pelvis and is permanently incapacitated.

The fact that he never got out of bed might have helped to clue you in.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
CRUSHED PELVISES

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
So how do you deal with rain making your batteries explode? Can i cover them or something? They exploded again right after i fixed them and my setup was two batteries and two panels right next to each other so both times i lost everything. They dont seem to have a very solid grasp of electricity for a space faring people. These things blow up a lot. Im using randy if that matters.

E: also how do you edit out events? I like to play the caveman start but i can never beat the first heatwave. I want to try with it disabled, but im also curious how people get passed that first event.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 5, 2017

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

DogonCrook posted:

So how do you deal with rain making your batteries explode? Can i cover them or something? They exploded again right after i fixed them and my setup was two batteries and two panels right next to each other so both times i lost everything. They dont seem to have a very solid grasp of electricity for a space faring people. These things blow up a lot. Im using randy if that matters.

I just build a couple single tile walls around them like pillars and roof over their whole area. They'll still 'Zzt!' once in a while but it stops the rain shorts. It's not a bad idea to keep all your power stuff spaced away from things so the inevitable electrical fires don't ruin everything. I guess in the grimdark rimworld future they haven't figured out circuit breakers or stuff like that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, just toss some roofs over your batteries, bing bing bong so simple

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DogonCrook posted:

E: also how do you edit out events? I like to play the caveman start but i can never beat the first heatwave. I want to try with it disabled, but im also curious how people get passed that first event.
use passive coolers. they break down after a few days but they will provide a safe place to stay during heat waves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look under Zone menu for Set Roof Area/Clear Roof Area and Set No Roof Area/Clear No Roof Area. Pawns with Construction enabled will go and build them. Roofs have to be supported within 11 tiles or they'll collapse.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I usually put my batteries next to a wall and expand the build roof zone so that they are covered or build a small utility room for them. Just make sure you wire them up with power conduits.

To disable events select the start you want e.g. trible and use the scenario editor on the scenario screen; make sure you save it!

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Where on the scenario editor is the option to disable events? I was looking the other day and couldn't find it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mimesweeper posted:

I just build a couple single tile walls around them like pillars and roof over their whole area. They'll still 'Zzt!' once in a while but it stops the rain shorts. It's not a bad idea to keep all your power stuff spaced away from things so the inevitable electrical fires don't ruin everything. I guess in the grimdark rimworld future they haven't figured out circuit breakers or stuff like that.

Put a switch going into the batteries and turn it off when you don't need them to prevent Zzzts! You can set it up so you have a few on the grid to take care of normal use, and a large backup, switched off the main grid, for emergencies!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Put a switch going into the batteries and turn it off when you don't need them to prevent Zzzts! You can set it up so you have a few on the grid to take care of normal use, and a large backup, switched off the main grid, for emergencies!

I did this but it was a pain to cycle batteries in response to crap happening. If you're really concerned i just uninstall the batteries, order them rebuilt as i prefer, and then forbid the battery until I want them. On the same vein, people love to complain about ZZZZTs but I've never had the resulting fire be unmanageable. The disconnection of tour power grid is much worse and easily managed by having redundancy in your conduit lines. Build conduits as loops, not lines. If your power situation is so bad that you have to micro more than that then you need more input, not more batteries.

Another little tip I use is for your killboxes. Have an extra single, disconnected power conduit in range of your turrets and press B to hook them to that when not in use. I'm using a large granite C filled with turrets that currently looks at my base' s main hallway from outside each entryway. My guys pop out the doors to force the enemy to take cover, then I flip the switch and they all get riddled from behind. It's a bit "gamey" but honestly anyone could achieve the same with some switches so I don't feel bad about it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have not built a turret since 2015, no regrets :black101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GodspeedSphere posted:

I did this but it was a pain to cycle batteries in response to crap happening. If you're really concerned i just uninstall the batteries, order them rebuilt as i prefer, and then forbid the battery until I want them. On the same vein, people love to complain about ZZZZTs but I've never had the resulting fire be unmanageable. The disconnection of tour power grid is much worse and easily managed by having redundancy in your conduit lines. Build conduits as loops, not lines. If your power situation is so bad that you have to micro more than that then you need more input, not more batteries.

Another little tip I use is for your killboxes. Have an extra single, disconnected power conduit in range of your turrets and press B to hook them to that when not in use. I'm using a large granite C filled with turrets that currently looks at my base' s main hallway from outside each entryway. My guys pop out the doors to force the enemy to take cover, then I flip the switch and they all get riddled from behind. It's a bit "gamey" but honestly anyone could achieve the same with some switches so I don't feel bad about it.

You can also move full batteries somewhere off the grid and they will keep their charge, if you don't want to uninstall them. I usually leave one or two on the grid, then have 4-6 backups on a switch in case of eclipses or whathaveyou. It's almost always enough of a buffer that someone will flick it before the first two run out.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Skanky Burns posted:

Where on the scenario editor is the option to disable events? I was looking the other day and couldn't find it.

This should be what you are looking for:

Note you have to add the part then define what incident you want to disable like heat wave or bug infestation.

e: in case its unclear you first have to check edit mode and click the add part to pull up the drop down menu.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 5, 2017

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

wilderthanmild posted:

Mortars own now. I managed to cripple several raids and sieges thanks to the new accuracy buff.

Awww yesssss, I loved mortars to start with, looks like my defence strategy won't be changing much in A17.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Forgive me if this is stupid, but is there an actual benefit to screening base sites along road paths? what changes aside from the scenery? can the roads be mined for resources? Do raids and trade become more frequent? I'm willing to bet i'm an idiot who can't find patch notes but I watched Tynan unveil the feature briefly on a youtube video and either I didn't hear him explain their purpose beyond aesthetic or he didn't mention one.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

basic hitler posted:

Forgive me if this is stupid, but is there an actual benefit to screening base sites along road paths? what changes aside from the scenery? can the roads be mined for resources? Do raids and trade become more frequent? I'm willing to bet i'm an idiot who can't find patch notes but I watched Tynan unveil the feature briefly on a youtube video and either I didn't hear him explain their purpose beyond aesthetic or he didn't mention one.

The travel time is faster for your caravans while in a hex with a road on it I believe and this is true for all seasons. For example if it took you 18 hours to travel a mountain hex in the winter time, with a road its something like 3 hours. I may have that mixed up but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

The Good Queen Clitoris fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 5, 2017

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

The travel time is faster for your caravans while in a hex with a road on it I believe and this is true for all seasons. For example if it took you 18 hours to travel a mountain hex in the winter time, with a road its something like 3 hours. I may have that mixed up but I'm pretty sure thats how it works.

I've been sending two person & camel trade parties out a couple of times a year because I'm on a road. There are 4 settlements <2 days walk, without the road those distances would be >10 days and be really dangerous. Good for a steady source of plasteel and components.

Non-obvious tips for trade caravans:

Set off at 6am and don't load too much onto a caravan, the pawns have to actually load it and its possible to get everyone tired and grumpy before you even hit the road.

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 5, 2017

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Set off at 6am and don't load too much onto a caravan, the pawns have to actually load it and its possible to get everyone tired and grumpy before you even hit the road.

This is the worst part of caravanning or drop podding. It seems like all of your colonists who can haul should be able to help here, but that's not the case.

In my experience with drop pods, if you try to put too much stuff in the pods, most of the colonists travelling in the pods will go ahead and jump in and then there will be one guy who ends up doing all the work. He then misses meals and gets exhausted filling the pods. Maybe this has been fixed since A17 went live, but it was working like this in the A17 unstable version, so it's probably not changed in released A17 (I haven't tested it yet).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Roads cut down travel time on their tile by half, from what I've noticed.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Has anyone got some generic starter tips to get up and running? Things like most bang for your buck on initial buildings, etc? I finally caved and bought this to scratch the itch and I learn a ton each time my colony implodes but would enjoy a leg up.

My most :psyboom: moment so far had me laughing out loud. I had just started research with a super passionate researcher who somehow got a foot infection which recurred after treatment and during a heat wave. I'm not sure what happened next, but I like to imagine she went mad from some combination of sickness and heat because while she was researching in the lab another pawn passed out inside the lab. I sent my doctor to rescue the passed out victim and my researcher promptly turned, blew the doctor's brains out with a snapshot, then went back to :science:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

"beerinator" posted:

caravanning

I noticed yesterday that I could assign a caravanning colonist jobs as normal without cancelling the entire drat caravan. Makes a HUGE difference, and I didn't have to micromanage the caravan at all to get it moving.

WebDO posted:

Has anyone got some generic starter tips...

Make your first base entirely out of wood just so you can have the catastrophic fire I did. Seriously do this. After that go stone cutting to make a stone base.

As far as colonists go, all starter guys must be able to do every job. I prefer a passionate constructor, one guy with 10+ shooting, a 8+ grower, a miner for mountain starts, and a doctor with +10.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 5, 2017

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Move on

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 5, 2017

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Phone posting my bad nothing to see here.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WebDO posted:

Has anyone got some generic starter tips to get up and running? Things like most bang for your buck on initial buildings, etc? I finally caved and bought this to scratch the itch and I learn a ton each time my colony implodes but would enjoy a leg up.

My most :psyboom: moment so far had me laughing out loud. I had just started research with a super passionate researcher who somehow got a foot infection which recurred after treatment and during a heat wave. I'm not sure what happened next, but I like to imagine she went mad from some combination of sickness and heat because while she was researching in the lab another pawn passed out inside the lab. I sent my doctor to rescue the passed out victim and my researcher promptly turned, blew the doctor's brains out with a snapshot, then went back to :science:

One of the most important things to do is closely monitor colonists' moods by selecting each and clicking on the "Needs" button. There you will see a list of things that make them happy or unhappy.

Colonists have three mental break thresholds: minor, major and extreme. The more time they spend under each threshold, the more risk there is that they will snap and go on a mental break. These can range from sadly wandering around doing nothing, to food binges, to going berserk and breaking poo poo. It depends on how bad their mood is.

The game will warn you when a colonist hits their thresholds. You can see that on the lower right corner. For example it will say "minor break risk" or "major break risk". You need to fix those quickly.

Generally speaking, colonists will get a mood boost if:

- They have private bedrooms that are spacious
- They have a dining table with chairs around it where they can consume their meals
- They have sufficient light sources nearby
- The temperature is comfortable
- They work on activities they enjoy (either the skills with flames next to them, or specific joy-building activities like playing chess or pool)

Similarly, they will get a mood penalty if:

- They are hungry or tired
- If their sleep gets disturbed (happens if people go in or out of their rooms while they are sleeping)
- It's too hot or too cold
- They get sick
- They are in pain (from injuries or scars)

The list is a lot longer than that, but those are the most common.

When starting out, I build a common dining room and a common bedroom, as well as a kitchen and a fridge room. I also create growing zones and sow some plants right away - rice is the best starter crop because it takes only half a season to grow. The following day I build a workshop room that has a research desk, a stonecutter's table and a sculpting table. Then I build a power grid, and so on.

Btw, building stuff out of wood isn't a huge deal as long as you don't lay your electrical wires all over the place or have torches/campfires indoors. But you should definitely switch out wood with stone at some point because stone is both more durable and has a larger bonus to room beauty, which gives a bonus to mood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

- They have a dining table with chairs around it where they can consume their meals

But that unimaginably extravagant dining room is like four tiles away, I'm just gonna eat this meal off the floor and complain about it all day instead