Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fnm is five bucks, 4-0 payout is like $20 in store credit. They put it on a gift card that you can immediately spend on beer at the bar :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

little munchkin posted:

i pay 420 dollars with 69 packs of prize support per person

You play at The Complex too, huh?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Star Man posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Aaron.

No you see the sentiment is being blown so far out of proportion that they explicitly call out one unique exception to disprove it.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
My LGS is $5 for FNM standard/modern FNM here in Texas.

On a seperate note- Should I be leaving after losing my first match in a 4 round standard FNM? If I lose my first match, I usually split because I thought only the top 4 get prizes, and someone who goes L-W-W-W, 3-1 isn't going to get any prize packs.

So is it actually possible to go 3-1 and still walk out of an FNM with prizes? Our FNM's have about 20-30 players.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Subways Jared posted:

On a seperate note- Should I be leaving after losing my first match in a 4 round standard FNM? If I lose my first match, I usually split because I thought only the top 4 get prizes, and someone who goes L-W-W-W, 3-1 isn't going to get any prize packs.

So is it actually possible to go 3-1 and still walk out of an FNM with prizes? Our FNM's have about 20-30 players.

They should announce prize payout at the start of FNM. They do at my store and 3-1s definitely prize but I don't know if a Round 1 loss gives you a bad tiebreaker compared to someone who started 3-0 and then lost the final round, for example.

The only time I ever think about dropping FNM for performance reason is when I hit two match losses. At that point you're probably not prizing out for a four-round FNM.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Subways Jared posted:

This is the pay out at my store, there's no top X nonsense and I think it is pretty fair.

4-0-0 = $20 Store Credit or 8 Booster packs
3-0-1 = $15 Store Credit or 6 Booster packs
3-1-0 = $10 Store Credit or 4 Booster packs
2-1-1 = 2 Booster packs
2-2-0 = 1 Booster pack

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Does anyone have access to Sam Black's article about his GP Omaha deck from SCG? I'd like to see that so I don't have to just random spot guess his main deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The standard everywhere I've been is $5 for regular constructed events, $15 for draft. That's CAD though.
Payout for positive records with prize pool based on turnout at around 1.5 packs per entry, and you can take $4 store credit instead of a pack.

One store has an additional prizing thing for the more competitive players that they call "going ferocious" (they started doing it during Khans block). On basically any event you can pay an extra $5 that goes toward an separate top-heavy prize pool for only the people who went ferocious

I think it's broken down like
<5 players = 100% to top place
5-8 players = 70 / 30
9+ players 60 / 25 / 15

or something like that.

So e.g. if 6 players in a 12 person event pay into the ferocious prize pool, whichever of them places highest in the event gets $21 store credit on top of whatever regular prizing they win, and the second-highest placed of those 6 players gets $9.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Cactrot posted:

This is the pay out at my store, there's no top X nonsense and I think it is pretty fair.

4-0-0 = $20 Store Credit or 8 Booster packs
3-0-1 = $15 Store Credit or 6 Booster packs
3-1-0 = $10 Store Credit or 4 Booster packs
2-1-1 = 2 Booster packs
2-2-0 = 1 Booster pack

Mine's basically the same, except anything lower than 2-1-1 is a pity pack, so even if you're terrible at magic or have bad matchups it's not a total loss!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't know what the payout for other records are but I paid 12 CAD for my last Standard FNM, went 2-2, and got choice of 4 packs or 12 CAD in store credit. The guy I went to report results with was 1-3 and got 1 pack.

Presumably 3-1 and 4-0 make a profit.

Honestly it didn't seem unreasonable? I didn't expect to get any prizes at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The local store only announces exact prize payouts after everyone's signed up, but it's fine because the structure is always the same:

- prize pool is about equal to total entry fees
- store credit goes to the top 4-5 (5 if there are >12 players - essentially, if you go 3-1 you're going to get credit, if you go 2-1-1 or even 2-2 in some cases you might get credit depending on breakers, how other players end up in the standings, etc.)
- everyone who doesn't get credit gets a pack (deducted at retail from the prize pool)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't think I've ever paid more than $5 for a constructed event that wasn't game day or a competitive REL event. Every draft I've paid for has been $15 if I get to keep my picks and $11 if there's a redraft.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Standard is 5 dollars, pack-a-win. Draft is 12 dollars, pack-a-win. I'm fine with it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
How much do lap dances cost at all y'alls game stores? Ours is 5 dollars or 10 dollars worth of cards.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

How much do lap dances cost at all y'alls game stores? Ours is 5 dollars or 10 dollars worth of cards.

Big Greg'll give you three songs for a playset of Fatal Push

Eikre
May 2, 2009
At my store, drafts cost fifty thousand dollars, but prize support includes a base payout of a three-course meal and tickets to Hamilton, and the cards themselves are represented on the battlefield by Medieval Times crewpeople who act out every attack with convincing and thrilling live stage combat. The pyrotechnics alone cost the store half a million dollars a month.

You also get one pack per win.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Eikre posted:

At my store, drafts cost fifty thousand dollars, but prize support includes a base payout of a three-course meal and tickets to Hamilton, and the cards themselves are represented on the battlefield by Medieval Times crewpeople who act out every attack with convincing and thrilling live stage combat. The pyrotechnics alone cost the store half a million dollars a month.

:yeah:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Eikre posted:

Hamilton? Your store sucks.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Subways Jared posted:

Why drop? Did you not go to play Magic? Or did you only go to cash out with a stack of sweet packs?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Heather Hudson is a great artist and it's a shame she hasn't done any new card for Magic since Lorwyn block.

In other new Opposition is the best deck in the new Gauntlet by a wide margin. It's not quite as good as Jar was in the last Gauntlet but it still is a massive favorite against most of the other decks, with only Tog, Goblins and Fires being real competition.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

yea loving OPPOSITION GOD DAMMIT

How many times do I need to play that fucker

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

keeblerdrow posted:

Does anyone have access to Sam Black's article about his GP Omaha deck from SCG? I'd like to see that so I don't have to just random spot guess his main deck.

I'm thinking of running the same deck, just for funsies.

Creatures (18)

4 Anointer Priest
4 Blisterpod
4 Catacomb Sifter
1 Loam Dryad
4 Thraben Inspector
1 Yahenni, Undying Partisan
Planeswalkers (2)

2 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Lands (25)

2 Forest
2 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Concealed Courtyard
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Fortified Village
1 Hissing Quagmire
2 Scattered Groves
2 Westvale Abbey
Spells (15)

4 Anointed Procession
3 Cryptolith Rite
4 Hidden Stockpile
3 Ulvenwald Mysteries
1 Anguished Unmaking
Sideboard

2 Tireless Tracker
2 Anguished Unmaking
4 Fatal Push
2 Declaration in Stone
2 Dusk
3 Lost Legacy

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

:lol: "subtle".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I know I've been gushing about this deck a lot lately, but Sram's Expertise putting Tempered Steel into play is really really good.

Not "reanimate a hasty emrakul" good, but still good.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

DoctorOozy posted:

Why drop? Did you not go to play Magic? Or did you only go to cash out with a stack of sweet packs?

This. FNM is a fun time to get some games in, if you only went for prize support then I guess leave but you'll learn a lot more about your deck playing games and become a better player staying.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pummeler top-eighting Amsterdam, that's fun

Subways Jared posted:

I'll drop in stuff like prerelease after four rounds if I'm not in top eight or if I go 0-2 in a draft that I'm not having fun in, but for constructed, I think you'd want the reps.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 4, 2017

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/871365307851567104

Only 1 Marvel deck in the top 8. Will the complaining stop?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

DoctorOozy posted:

https://twitter.com/magicprotour/status/871365307851567104

Only 1 Marvel deck in the top 8. Will the complaining stop?

It's a boring deck that wins by chance whether or not it's the top deck, so, no

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Soul Glo posted:

It's a Magic, so, no

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GP Manila won by UW Flash.

Manila top 8:
1 Esper Vehicles
1 White-Blue Flash
1 Mardu Blue
1 Mono Black Zombies
1 Temur Aetherworks
1 Red-Green Pummeler
1 Black-Green Constrictor
1 Mardu Vehicles

So yeah, 1 Marvel in each of the top 8

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 4, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Pummeler top-eighting Amsterdam, that's fun

I'll drop in stuff like prerelease after four rounds if I'm not in top eight or if I go 0-2 in a draft that I'm not having fun in, but for constructed, I think you'd want the reps.

That's a good point actually, if I start 0-2 and don't have anywhere to be after an event I'll at least stick around to see if have a Round 3 to play. But if I end up with a bye (because the other 0-2 players dropped) then I'll leave because I don't want to sit around for another round doing nothing.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

ZeroCount posted:

Hamilton? Your store sucks.
Agreed, my LGS moved on to The Great Comet a loooooong time ago.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Handshake Drugs posted:

You play at The Complex too, huh?

not sure how that was the post that gave it away but yep

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

...Aaaand Marvel is out from GP Amsterdam.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Random cards off the top of the deck deciding who wins games is not fun gameplay WOTC. Stop making that a thing.

This is the main problem. Losing to the turn 4 lucky spin is bad design.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Though without Marvel their new Bolas would probably never see any play so maybe that is why they want to keep it...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Everyone knows WotC is manipulating the pairings so it looks like Marvel isn't as good as it is.

mcmagic posted:

Though without Marvel their new Bolas would probably never see any play so maybe that is why they want to keep it...

Bolas is bad and wouldn't even see play in Marvel.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

little munchkin posted:

not sure how that was the post that gave it away but yep

It was the modern list you posted a little while ago, actually. I just wanted to mess with you. Also, I have no idea who you are IRL. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Everyone knows WotC is manipulating the pairings so it looks like Marvel isn't as good as it is.

Bolas is bad and wouldn't even see play in Marvel.

Depends on the meta but I could see it as a 1 or 2 of...