Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Pellisworth posted:

Late to the party on watching this, about halfway through ep 3 now.

Minor gripe but having grown up in South Dakota and now living in southern CA, it is super obvious it was filmed here and doesn't remotely resemble SD landscapes.

It's a Twin Peaks tradition!

That aside, why do television series shooting locations always default back to SC more often than not? The only real exceptions are other urban areas (NYC, Miami) but I can't imagine that shooting in say South Dakota or rural Washington would cost that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kulkasha posted:

That aside, why do television series shooting locations always default back to SC more often than not? The only real exceptions are other urban areas (NYC, Miami) but I can't imagine that shooting in say South Dakota or rural Washington would cost that much more.

Considering it was shot over the course of about 8 months (Sept. 2015 - Apr. 2016), I would imagine cost was a real factor as well as actor availability. The cast is enormous, after all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kulkasha posted:

Yeah, I mean we're talking about a show where the titular town is named after two super prominent mountains that we never see except on a sign, and where that same sign proclaims 50,000 residents in what otherwise appears is more likely about 2K at best (I know the story about the network fuckery "audiences won't care about what happens in a small town :rolleye: "

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh, is that seriously all? I do that. That's nothing.

Though he should probably print them out or find some way to make back ups, given that he managed to accidentally delete them right as they were wrapping up the Part 1 podcast

it was a bit of a sort of "Oh gently caress" moment, saved thankfully by him managing to cover them all before accidentally clearing the whole thing out (I think he notes he'd have to go back through the episode later to jot things back down in case they proved relevant later?)

EDIT: Here we go: Jake accidentally deletes his notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktEsgy7Exss&t=3588s
EDIT2: I am a total Dork and want Jake to upgrade his Mug to one that says:
"I am
JAKE'S
COFFEE
"

EDIT3: Oh god there's already fanmade (?) "I am DOUGIE'S COFFEE" mugs floating around for sale

Lanz fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 4, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Kulkasha posted:

I'd imagine one of the reasons is tax breaks and such

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
BTW, anyone in this thread who hasn't needs to go watch Supergreatfriend's Let's Play of Deadly Premonition either on the lparchive.org or youtube. It's the best Twin Peaks game you should never play yourself.
Supergreatfriend doesn't have an annoying voice or facecam or anything like that, and the game's characters and plot are genuinely worth it(the actual gameplay isn't).

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kulkasha posted:

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

I'd imagine one of the reasons is tax breaks and such

probably tax breaks and cost stuff in general

SoCal obviously has a huge film industry so there's lots of available crew people for sets, lighting, all that. SD has none of that and is quite remote, so I imagine it'd be super expensive to fly a bunch of cast and crew there to film exteriors.

I guess I dunno why they picked SD as one of the settings when the readily available film locations in SoCal don't remotely resemble it. LOL at the palm trees in front lawns and desert scrub in what's supposed to be the Black Hills.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kulkasha posted:

BTW, anyone in this thread who hasn't needs to go watch Supergreatfriend's Let's Play of Deadly Premonition either on the lparchive.org or youtube. It's the best Twin Peaks game you should never play yourself.
Supergreatfriend doesn't have an annoying voice or facecam or anything like that, and the game's characters and plot are genuinely worth it(the actual gameplay isn't).

There's a director's cut that's not as annoying to play but yeah, that LP is really good and worth a watch if you don't play it yourself.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I remember someone mentioning that there was a fan created version of FWWM with Missing Pieces stitched in. Anyone know what thats called?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That would be the Q2 fan edit and it's easy to find.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kulkasha posted:

I just want to emphasis that no one should play this game themselves. Its a solid F for gameplay, but everything else about it is so good that its something every twin peaks fan should experience. SGF's LP is fantastic and the way he walks you through the game is great.
If there is someone masochistic enough to actually want to play this game, I have steam copy I can give you.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Deadly Premonition is so Twin Peaks they had to drastically alter it after the original trailer for it got the attention of Lynch and his lawyers.

And even that edited version is Twin Peaks as gently caress.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

eSporks posted:

If there is someone masochistic enough to actually want to play this game, I have steam copy I can give you.

Challenge Accepted

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

UnculturedSwine posted:

Is there a good review or break down of Inland Empire similar to the hulk review of Mulholland Drive that was posted ITT earlier?

I saw this video recently that I hope helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnxbaV-oMY

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

eSporks posted:

I just want to emphasis that no one should play this game themselves. Its a solid F for gameplay, but everything else about it is so good that its something every twin peaks fan should experience. SGF's LP is fantastic and the way he walks you through the game is great.

If you're such a big Deadly Premonition fan then how come you haven't funded this yet: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/615312068/deadly-premonition-the-board-game

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I remember someone mentioning that there was a fan created version of FWWM with Missing Pieces stitched in. Anyone know what thats called?

I actually just finished watching the fan-edit tonight. I found it to only be okay. It's really interesting during the Agent Desmond portion of the film but destroys the tension and building dread of the Laura Palmer portions. It's definitely good to watch out of curiosity but there is a reason why most of those scenes were removed.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
So apparently the first 2 episodes are on Youtube now, but censored, and the creature in the box was censored: https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/6/2/15731782/watch-twin-peaks-season-3-episode-1-episode-2. Lends some credence to the theory that it was "Mother".

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Capntastic posted:

If you're such a big Deadly Premonition fan then how come you haven't funded this yet: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/615312068/deadly-premonition-the-board-game
Because if its anything like the game I don't want to play it. I'll watch you play it though.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Apple Craft posted:

Challenge Accepted

Fair warning: The PC version is extra broken, nigh unplayable garbage. You can have a look yourself. Skip to the 4 minute mark of this video.

If you want to actually play the game, Xbox 360 has the "best" version. The Director's Cut on PS3 is the most playable one, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 4, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah that FWWM edit is kind of a misfire. Just because it was in the shooting script, doesn't mean that Lynch intended to use it all. I do think the scenes with Jeffries work a lot better if you have those additional moments in there, but nothing after that is definitely needed.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What time will ep 5 be available on showtime?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

redreader posted:

What time will ep 5 be available on showtime?

Likely as soon as the episode starts airing on regular broadcast.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I used the Showtime through Amazon Prime trial during the premiere, and was totally unsure of how/when it would air, since there was very little info online. To my slight surprise, it was available for streaming at exactly 9pm est, with absolutely no streaming/quality issues.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Deadly Premonition is basically "What if The Asylum made Twin Peaks?"

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Deadly Premonition is basically "What if The Asylum made Twin Peaks?"

The game looks like crap and plays like crap, but the writing is surprisingly good. The Asylum version wouldn't even tick that last box. It would also likely include more dinosaurs.

I'd like to see a version of Twin Peaks in the vein of their Sherlock Holmes adaptation, btw.:

And More fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 4, 2017

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

And More posted:

The game looks like crap and plays like crap, but the writing is surprisingly good. The Asylum version wouldn't even tick that last box. It would also likely include more dinosaurs.

I think it's fascinatingly​ weird but there was nothing about the writing that I thought was good. The giant frog fight with the Andy-Denise hybrid is close enough to a dinosaur.

It's still a way better Twin Peaks fan game than Virginia was though.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best Twin Peaks video game was that Black Lodge game somebody made in the style of Atari2600.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I think it's fascinatingly​ weird but there was nothing about the writing that I thought was good. The giant frog fight with the Andy-Denise hybrid is close enough to a dinosaur.

It's still a way better Twin Peaks fan game than Virginia was though.

Yeah, at least Deadly Premonition is funny, even if you don't appreciate the writing.

Origami Dali posted:

The best Twin Peaks video game was that Black Lodge game somebody made in the style of Atari2600.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtPgZLB0RZs

There are also some interesting Twin Peaks homages in a bunch of games like the Blair Witch game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9VRPlOEZpc

or Sword and Sworcery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EhN-z29Hoo&t=1298s

And More fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 4, 2017

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Speaking of, what's the deal with Kentucky Route Zero? I've heard that has a Twin Peaks vibe to it, but people said the same thing about Life is Strange.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

nerdman42 posted:

Speaking of, what's the deal with Kentucky Route Zero? I've heard that has a Twin Peaks vibe to it, but people said the same thing about Life is Strange.

I wouldn't quite say that. KRZ is great and, at times, I would even say it's Lynchian. But it is 100% not Twin Peaks.

E: If you enjoy Lynch's work I think it's still really worth playing KRZ. The game an unusual respect for silence and long shots that feels very inspired by Lynch, it's less shocking, and more melancholic and wistful though.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 4, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, I'd never seen this interview before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

Peak Lynch.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd never seen this interview before:

Peak Lynch.

And that's how he came up with the diner scene in Mulholland Drive. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 4, 2017

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I totally understand why Lynch would want nothing to do with directing a Star Wars movie, but at the same time, I like to imagine what he'd done with the Jabba the Hutt scenes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fwiw, Kentucky Route Zero is one of the best videogames of this decade and Life is Strange is hipster trash (albeit with some semi-decent character work in between the insufferable bullshit)

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Escobarbarian posted:

Life is Strange is hipster trash

Nah

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I might be alone in this but the night driving sequence immediately reminded me of The Knife (to the point that I thought it might be one of their tracks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwySUQMzHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uI1KXHJVO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hETZcxSaQ8

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What time should I expect the new episode to be in the Showtime app?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

What time should I expect the new episode to be in the Showtime app?

As it airs on TV.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Basticle posted:

I might be alone in this but the night driving sequence immediately reminded me of The Knife (to the point that I thought it might be one of their tracks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwySUQMzHs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uI1KXHJVO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hETZcxSaQ8

I thought the exact same thing. That, or a b-side off Crazy Clown Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Martian Manfucker posted:

I thought the exact same thing. That, or a b-side off Crazy Clown Time.

It really reminded me of Trent Reznor's way of singing. Turns out it's probably just a distorted version of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ozSIN_3Xk