Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In arms they speak earth language but write in moon speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really really wish they'd put a wrapper over these Neo Geo games (or any ported old games I guess). People seem to like Neo Turf Masters and I'm after a small downloadable title but god drat if the 3DS homebrew SNES emulator can put a .png over all that black space why can't you Nintendo.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Empress Brosephine posted:

Nintendo are the most incompetent developers ever. Between ARMs bad controls to the barren wasteland that is the open world in Zelda it makes you wonde

What the fu k

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Is Disgaea 5 worth getting if I've never played any of the others in the series? I've watched some videos on it and interested but don't know if it'll be overwhelming or I'll be missing stuff from the other games.

Edit: I am not into anime stuff either, which is my other concern if I'll enjoy it. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 4, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Larrymer posted:

Is Disgaea 5 worth getting if I've never played any of the others in the series? I've watched some videos on it and interested but don't know if it'll be overwhelming or I'll be missing stuff from the other games.

Edit: I am not into anime stuff either, which is my other concern if I'll enjoy it. :v:

From my understanding, you don't play Disgaea for the plot.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Larrymer posted:

Try the demo! I hadn't played a Disgaea before but it brought me in as a fan of SRPGs. It is very anime, though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Larrymer posted:

What kind of games do you like? Disgaea is all about very anime plot-lines and presentation combined with progress that's kind of hard to explain. It's very simple on a basic level ("move characters near to enemies to attack them") but there's like a ton of other poo poo to make those attacks do ridiculous numbers.

Item world lets you level up items themselves (and you can defeat personifications of stats inside those item worlds to move the stats to other items)
A political system that lets you pass bills for better items, more exp, more characters (you can bribe senators with item, but also if you lose a vote you can then fight the senators to make them vote you way but they'll hate you forever)
Tiles with effects like double exp or halve attack (but those tiles can be moved around and manipulated to explode and clear entire levels in cascades of bullshit)
Huge amounts of post-game content that need you to use all of those.

That was just Disgaea 1. By now there's like a dozen more systems and I'm pretty sure the post-game content dwarves the storyline (which are usually just forgettable power-of-friendship stuff. maybe with some decent memorable characters if you get lucky). It's definitely overwhelming and you'll almost certainly need to check guides at some point, but if you just love watching numbers get huge it's got a compelling gameplay loop to it.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of Disgaea but while playing the demo, I noticed that one of the voice options for healers is "pregnant❤". Dunno what that means, not interested in finding out.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Every time I read about people playing Disgaea they either talk about the grinding or the cliche anime bullshit, both of which are things that I would probably not enjoy.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I like the idea of Disgaea but while playing the demo, I noticed that one of the voice options for healers is "pregnant❤". Dunno what that means, not interested in finding out.

i still dont know why they keep calling it that because all the lines seem to just be about her being on the prowl for a man

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

AfroGunsou posted:

i still dont know why they keep calling it that because all the lines seem to just be about her being on the prowl for a man
'Thirsty' would have worked way better

The Deleter posted:

Every time I read about people playing Disgaea they either talk about the grinding or the cliche anime bullshit, both of which are things that I would probably not enjoy.
Yah that's 90% of Disgaea (last ten percent is naming your characters and being sad when they die).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pierson posted:

What kind of games do you like? Disgaea is all about very anime plot-lines and presentation combined with progress that's kind of hard to explain. It's very simple on a basic level ("move characters near to enemies to attack them") but there's like a ton of other poo poo to make those attacks do ridiculous numbers.

I'm not averse to grindy games as the Diablo series is one of my favorites. I've not tried strategy RPGs though before. I'll give the demo a shot and see how it goes.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nice meltdown

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Turn on your monitor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hey friends, I'm back on stream and we're playing Kirby 64! You could win an amiibo that's been handled by me, jivjov, the Internet superstar and amiibo hive mind! twitch.tv/moblinsformatt

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

NISA is not very good at translating

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like to imagine that the guy at the end of the line holding the sign "this is the end of the line" was already given a Switch so he doesn't murder the rest of the line for getting one before him.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is this thread in this Switch yet?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Waiting in a line that long for a switch is stupid. Just buy a WiiU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Get a thing from years ago instead of the new thing? Mods

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Motto posted:

NISA is not very good at translating

I had no idea what those options were or that they were for the voice. That explains why my healer is always talking about getting married, jesus.

Do the maps eventually get better in Disgaea 5? They are loving awful so far, just constant cramped spaces where I can barely move around characters. I'm only like 7 maps in and I guess it's still the "tutorial" levels but jesus it's just obnoxious how everyone is going down tiny lanes all the time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

You can't play ARMS on the Wii U.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons; Target's going to be the go-to for the cheapest price on ARMS so far, they're advertising it at $64AU.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Mega64 posted:

ITT we list selling points for the Wii U

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

EpicNemesis posted:

In order to sell one, it first would've needed a reason to be bought. :downsrim:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mega64 posted:

+1 for Wii U

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I'll b uy arms because why not

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

EpicNemesis posted:

Super Mario Maker isn't on the Switch.
Yet?!?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Just a quick question to people who've sent consoles/accessories to Nintendo

Do you have to go to the nearest Purolator/shipping place after your repair call has been made with the items you intend to ship, or do you wait for them at home to deliver you some kind of box to deliver a box to ship the accessories in? I have the emails from Nintendo but it's unclear

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Him and Infinitum really make this thread a chore to read.

Get him going about amiibo spoofers, that poo poo is gold.

the good doctor and Infinitum are the best posters in thread, please respect their words and deeds.

but everyone who posts in this thread is good, be excellent to each other.

oh and btw, i'm about to go into debt just to buy mario kart 8, street fighter 2 and also ARMS on my nintendo switch. its good day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
ARMS is the Bomberman R of upcoming games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Something everyone shat on that turned out to be pretty okay?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Spellman posted:

Just a quick question to people who've sent consoles/accessories to Nintendo

Do you have to go to the nearest Purolator/shipping place after your repair call has been made with the items you intend to ship, or do you wait for them at home to deliver you some kind of box to deliver a box to ship the accessories in? I have the emails from Nintendo but it's unclear

I just stuck mine in a box and used the label they provided /I printed. But sounds like you're not in the US so might be different.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

I just stuck mine in a box and used the label they provided /I printed. But sounds like you're not in the US so might be different.

If I recall correctly, Purolator will provide boxes and poo poo for me to pack it in as was my last experience with sending my 3DS. But I just don't remember if they shipped the boxes to my house before I took them to Purolator, or if I packaged it at the store--seems really weird that I'd just take it to the store without a box. But oh :canada:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't buy SF2 it is very bad on the switch

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Please don't buy SF2 it is very bad on the switch

But it has ARMS built right in, seems like the definitive version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwzf6SeF-Y4

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be a good game if:
A: the switch actually had decent control options for fighting games. It doesn't and the pro controller is even worse.
B; it wasn't horribly unbalanced and tinkered with again

It's kind of hard to gently caress up SF2 but surprise surprise it happens on a Nintendo system once again (just like CvsSnk2 on GC)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it wouldn't have been so bad except the version of SF2 it's based on went on sale for $2.50 a week after that $40 abomination came out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How's it unbalanced? What did they change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's it unbalanced? What did they change?

You're asking a man who hasn't even purchased the game.

• Locked thread