Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

No. It was always designed as a three parter. In fact in earlier outlines for the series the alternative reality played a much bigger role and led into the finale.

Also... Missy is great but I'm hoping she gets a moment to show how horrible she is. Every Master has a moment where the mask slips and see the terrible person underneath and Missy hasn't had that yet. So much so that even the Doctor seems to buying into the act. Mainly I hope we get this moment because Michelle would knock it out of the park and she's leaving this year.

The closest she got was killing (one of the) Oswalts but they undid that in a round about way anyways.

Yeah she really needs just a truly monstrous moment. Hopefully she'll get that with Simms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought stuffing Clara into a Dalek and then trying to get the Doctor to unknowingly kill her was fairly monstrous

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
uploading dead people to a torture world to scam them into being a robot army seems pretty bad imo

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Unkempt posted:

No idea if it's true but I get the impression that the last 3 stories were separate until Moffat had a bright idea that the simulation guys in that one could be the 'consent' guys in the other one and then they could be the conqueror guys in this one too and it all fits, it's like poetry etc.

PriorMarcus posted:

No. It was always designed as a three parter. In fact in earlier outlines for the series the alternative reality played a much bigger role and led into the finale.

Huh, I'd had the same impression that it felt like three different stories pushed together to make a three-parter. Weird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig the tattered blue coat Capaldi wore in the last episode.

Anything's better than that goddamn hoodie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

Even the Noel Edmonds shirt?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Timby posted:

the hoodie is perfect

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig the tattered blue coat Capaldi wore in the last episode. The costuming for this season has been excellent.

Hayley and Zoe are really, really on the ball. Young and hungry to create amazing work. The volume of stuff they've done over the last few episodes is mind bending. It was hard in the art dept; I don't know how they managed.

Really strong Half Life 2 vibes from this which makes me really wish I'd done it, as I'm pretty sure our 71 year old designer has never played it, and would have been great to really run with that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Timby posted:

I miss his Crombie coat and he's original look so much.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I liked this episode mostly until they escaped the prison ship and the vault scene, and that's just on the merit of the acting. Pearl Mackie is really good. This three-parter seemed too experimental and unrelated in each episode despite it generally being one plot, I guess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

There was so much hype around those early photos of Capaldi in the Crombie and Doc Martens like he's on his way to a Madness concert but then (at least as far as I recall) it wasn't really in season eight that much, was it?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In retrospect, what was the point of the "Any day could be your last!" thing last episode? Actually, why did anything need to happen last episode?

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

echoplex posted:

Hayley and Zoe are really, really on the ball. Young and hungry to create amazing work. The volume of stuff they've done over the last few episodes is mind bending. It was hard in the art dept; I don't know how they managed.

Really strong Half Life 2 vibes from this which makes me really wish I'd done it, as I'm pretty sure our 71 year old designer has never played it, and would have been great to really run with that.

I was thinking more Doctor Who meets XCom 2 with the statues everywhere. There was even a panicking soldier!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

the hoodie is perfect

:agreed: I love the hoodie and the holey shirt. Come at me.

echoplex posted:

This is partly why the episode felt lackluster to me. "The Doctor in City 17" has so much potential.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

At what point do people say that enough is enough and start holding the Doctor responsible for any crimes that Missy commits?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It felt like two episodes stretched into three for me. And I wish that Bill having that imaginary version of her Mum around would've been better if we'd had more hints at it during the season.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Missy will hang tight in the Doctor's clutches until exactly one day before her sentence is over and then will escape, just to waste the Doctors time and piss everyone off at him.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

12 admits during the climax of Time Heist that he was hoping for minimalism, but he ended up with magician.

So he ditches the look for all the better outfits he's worn since then, including the hoodie. Long live the hoodie.

But I'll forever prefer his maroon velvet coat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
haven't the other doctors mostly stuck to one outfit except for special occasions? like 11 and 10 each had one suit each, or did i just not pay much attention to their clothes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

haven't the other doctors mostly stuck to one outfit except for special occasions? like 11 and 10 each had one suit each, or did i just not pay much attention to their clothes.

Uniforms pretty much became a thing in the last season of the 4th Doctors run. Worse, it wasn't just the Doctor who got stuck in one outfit all the time, it was pretty much the whole cast.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That episode was an incoherent mess. I haven't been that dissatisfied with a new episode in a long time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Tennant had his brown and blue suits, and a couple different colors of his trainers. Smith had two different tweed coats, his brown coat, that military-style coat (the green one), and the coat with the long tails that he wore from 7b until Time of the Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Tennant had his brown and blue suits, and a couple different colors of his trainers. Smith had two different tweed coats, his brown coat, that military-style coat (the green one), and the coat with the long tails that he wore from 7b until Time of the Doctor.

11 also had several different shirts and ties. His original burgundy and blue shirts were gorgeous.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Does he have to do his own laundry, or is that one of the things the TARDIS just magically takes care of for him?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Did anyone catch the line about Bill saying the giant fish was in Paris? Where did that come from?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Senor Tron posted:

At what point do people say that enough is enough and start holding the Doctor responsible for any crimes that Missy commits?

Clara did that at the end of series 8: "If you've ever let this creature live then everything that happened today is on you"

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Did anyone catch the line about Bill saying the giant fish was in Paris? Where did that come from?

episode 3

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah but it was in the Thames, she corrected herself and the Doctor said something about that being a code to see if he was tricking her, but...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The episode with the Thames Frost Fair, she lied about it being in Paris to see if the Doctor was pulling a scam.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah but it was in the Thames, she corrected herself and the Doctor said something about that being a code to see if he was tricking her, but...

She assumed that the Doctor was putting on an act because he was being watched. By referring to an event no one but the two of them knew about, it gave him a way to show her that he was lying to fool the monks and guards. In effect a secret code only the two of them would know. When he immediately told everyone it was a coded message, that told her that he wasn't lying, he really was on Team Monk.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What bothered me the most was the ending from an emotional standpoint. If you're going to have the Companion and the Doctor do the whole "I'm gonna sacrifice myself", "Don't do it!" , "Gotta, bye!", "Nooooo!" sequence then having the very next scene be "Hey, everything's fine" is literally the cheapest and least satisfying way you can resolve it.

Ugh. :sigh:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The problem with Doctor Who as a show, is that the creators want it to be McGuyver, where poo poo resets from episode to episode so that there is a clean playing field, but they also want it to have big huge universe changing events and consequences. So they do both. This means of course that the bigger the stakes and consequences, the more eye rolling the reset is when it inevitably occurs.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 5, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone who wonders what's going to happen with the Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w

This scene is pretty much it.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

The more the episode sits with me, the more my opinion settles around decent, a 6/10 if I had to put a number to it - it certainly wasn't stellar, but most of its failings are at worst not that bad.

That said, the fake-out scene is just a mess. Besides being a tease for a much more interesting idea (the Doctor really is on the "bad" side because for whatever reason, he thinks it's for the best really) it also feels really really rushed and overconvenient in the resolution, to the point it took me another good 10~15 minutes to believe that it really was actually really just a thin trick, rather than the Doctor pulling a double bluff.

Also, as was touched on, the faked regeneration makes zero sense - if Bill knew he could regenerate, it's unlikely she'd have been nearly as willing to make that deal last episode; but if she doesn't, why do it? For us and characters in the know it would confirm that she really had fatally shot him... but she's literally the only one in the room NOT in on "this is all a test".

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah, wasn't a fan of this one or the last one. The first part was pretty interesting and a good lead-in for the bad guys, but the rest of it wasn't as good, kind of like Utopia versus the rest of that three-parter. Having Bill, the person who was so indignant about helpless people being killed only a few episode ago, sacrifice the entire planet to save the Doctor's sight seemed like a bad choice. The finale then suffered all of those old problems we hated in the RTD era, particularly the grandiose voiceover monologues and the big reset button at the end. The plot resolution also felt like a bit of a rehash of the end of The Rings of Ahkaten, mashed together with The Last of the Time Lords.

Also, plot holes: there was a monk on the ship, so what happened to it? Also, it looked Bill right in the face. You're telling me it doesn't know who she is and why she's there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Keisse J posted:

Also, as was touched on, the faked regeneration makes zero sense - if Bill knew he could regenerate, it's unlikely she'd have been nearly as willing to make that deal last episode; but if she doesn't, why do it? For us and characters in the know it would confirm that she really had fatally shot him... but she's literally the only one in the room NOT in on "this is all a test".

I think that was just a thrill for the kiddies at home. "Wait, are they changing actors mid-season???" That wouldn't work on terminally jaded goons or spoilered superfans, but it probably made some casual viewers sit up and take notice for a moment.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Only thing I liked
is that Bill's imaginary mom ex machina is so much better than clara's LEAF!!! ex machina

Yeah, I think Bill's still great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Keisse J posted:

The sad thing is in The Beast Below they very specifically did the opposite, where we kept getting lingering shots of a mysterious masked figure. Then later she takes off her mask for a young girl who is thrilled to see who it is, but we the viewer have no idea because she isn't wearing a mask for the benefit of the viewer, she's wearing it for the benefit of the people who inhabit the world she lives in (she's the Queen of Spaceship UK).

In this one it's purely for the benefit of the viewer as a fakeout, the only reasoning I can think for the Doctor to do it is because he thought the Monks might be looking through her eyes somehow and THEY know he can regenerate. But then the moment he and Bill are hooked up again he just completely throws away the pretense he is working for them and openly becomes their opponent again.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

It also made a good fakeout for the whole series teaser.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The new season is alright and all, but in more important matters, I have a continuity question about The Two Masters BFA. There's a flashback that takes place on Terserus, and it's revealed that it was the MacQueen Master who fried his earlier self into the Pratt/Beevers corpse form and called in Chancellor Goth, leading into The Deadly Assassin. The thing is, I always thought that Pratt and Beevers were supposed to be a melting Delgado, but in the audio it's just Beevers even before he's corpsified. Did I misunderstand something, or are BF saying that there's a straight-up, not-undead Geoffrey Beevers incarnation in between Delgado and Pratt? Is there precedence for this somewhere? I've just assumed that Delgado -> Pratt was pretty widely accepted as what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor seemed completely fine leading an armed raid into the Monk's (totally without context, I mean, did they in any way tie the Monk's to Egypt? It just looks cool and that's enough, right?) pyramid and letting his troopers shoot people.

• Locked thread