Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, I just spent the last few days watching the first season of Avatar on this thread's recommendation and it was a bit up and down. There were some great episodes but some of the filler episodes just plain sucked (like the one where they had to help two enemy tribes cross a valley eurgh).

I'm currently trying to watch the live action movie and oh my god it's hard going, they just hosed it up so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Oh, yeah, a fair bit of the first season was undeniably kinda bad, though they became a lot less so in S2 and 3. Pretty much everything from the last few episodes of S1 and on was where they finally found solid footing with their consistency.

Plus it helps that they had an episode right before the series finale dedicated to taking the piss out of themselves, especially for those earlier episodes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay, I just spent the last few days watching the first season of Avatar on this thread's recommendation and it was a bit up and down. There were some great episodes but some of the filler episodes just plain sucked (like the one where they had to help two enemy tribes cross a valley eurgh).

I'm currently trying to watch the live action movie and oh my god it's hard going, they just hosed it up so much.

The episode you mentioned is so infamously badly received they make a joke about it sucking in a later episode.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The first season of Avatar is pretty good, but boy those last two consistently knock episodes out of the park. It stays absurdly high quality from then on.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Burn your house, it's tainted.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I actually caught a few minutes of it while my sister was watching it.

...It was the Blue Spirit's debut scene.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Jeeeesus christ that film was bad, and there's just so many elements of it that were mishandled. Characterization alone was just appallingly terrible, they never let them establish their personalities (except sometimes via exposition!) and never gave them a chance to breath and interact so it was pretty much impossible for the audience to get to know them and actually give a poo poo about what happened to them. Some of the main characters don't have their defining traits from the TV series because the film didn't leave enough time to include them. :psyduck:

For comparison, Aang is introduced 6 minutes into the film and he's already leaving the village on his adventure at the 11 minute mark. In A New Hope we don't even see Luke until 16 minutes in and he doesn't leave Tatooine until 52 minutes into the film.

Regalingualius posted:

I actually caught a few minutes of it while my sister was watching it.

...It was the Blue Spirit's debut scene.

To be fair every movie in that film is the worst scene to come in on.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I took my five year old kid, who loved the cartoon, to see the live action movie. It was the first movie he ever asked to go see.

After the movie, he said "Daddy, that was a bad movie."

Yes, son, yes it was.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ImpAtom posted:

The episode you mentioned is so infamously badly received they make a joke about it sucking in a later episode.

like all in all it isn't a bad-bad episode, it was just mediocre and completely superfluous to the plot or world-building. I mean, the Swamp Water-benders had no real plot significance, but they expand on showing what waterbenders can do.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I was amazed at how The Last Airbender managed to botch even simple things like basic framing and dialogue. Conversations in that movie were weird, disjointed affairs where characters took turns stating things at each other, sometimes completely unrelated to what had just been said, while the camera cut between weirdly close-up shots of the actors, making it impossible to ignore how bored and confused they looked, like nobody was actually in the same room at the time, they just recorded each actor saying their lines separately and then spliced it together in post, which I guess is faithful to the show's animated roots, but nobody bothered to actually direct the actors.

But the costumes and set design were good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

like all in all it isn't a bad-bad episode, it was just mediocre and completely superfluous to the plot or world-building. I mean, the Swamp Water-benders had no real plot significance, but they expand on showing what waterbenders can do.

The Swamp wasn't a bad episode per se, but aside from forshadowing Toph (which was unecessary seeing as she showed up about two or so episodes later anyway) and featuring an aspect of Bending that wouldn't be touched on again until Korra it just felt kind of unnecessary to me. Though then again, every season had it's share of weird episodes (like the homage to Footloose in Season 3).

Korra, while nowhere near as good as it's predecessor in my opinion, kind of cut down on a lot of that stuff as far as I can remember (a pity it was marred by one of the worst overall seasons in the entire franchise but fortunately it recovered quickly).

There is no reason to watch The Last Airbender when you can get the same material with both context and better pacing/acting/storytelling/etc. by just binge watching the first season. Aside from maybe costume & set design that movie was a failure on every level and I'm personally glad they never got a chance to cover the rest of the series.

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, the only good thing about that episode was the joke at the very end where Aang claims he personally knew the two men in their stories, that the reason the two tribes were feuding was a gigantic misunderstanding, and convinces them to make their peace... then admits he was completely bullshitting as soon as they're gone.

True, that part was pretty good but otherwise that episode was one of the few in the entire show that was 100% filler (that is, you could skip it entirely and not really lose much in the way of context seeing as the events are never mentioned again, no characters from the episode reappear and even the recap episode just handwaves it away).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 4, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Nah, the only good thing about that episode was the joke at the very end where Aang claims he personally knew the two men in their stories, that the reason the two tribes were feuding was a gigantic misunderstanding, and convinces them to make their peace... then admits he was completely bullshitting as soon as they're gone.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I saw The Last Airbender at its midnight release having never seen a single episode (with friends who are all super into it) and I just thought it was funny-bad. My gf convinced me to watch the series with her just a few months ago and we decided to watch the movie after season one. I thought it was still pretty funny! But also I'm sorry for y'all OG fans :(

Phylodox posted:

But the costumes and set design were good.

This is the part where someone posts Princess Dickhair

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Looper posted:

No this is the part where the set team forgets they aren't making a Star Wars movie and the Fire Nation is filled with giant Roman columns.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Looper posted:

Again, that can be attributed to basic cinematography. Film school 101, day 1, framing lesson 1: Don't inadvertently make your subjects look like cocks.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, it'd be hair to get Yue's hair style to NOT look like a dick, but there's some very simple ways to modify it so it has the same overall look without looking like a cock

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

yeah, it'd be hair to get Yue's hair style to NOT look like a dick, but there's some very simple ways to modify it so it has the same overall look without looking like a cock

I'm sure they could have fixed it as I don't remember her hair being that phallic-looking in the cartoon. But, like with most things in the movie, nobody involved really seemed to care all that much.

It might be nice one day to see a competent director try their hand at the franchise (or better yet, make an animated film) but I think the ship has pretty much sailed on that for the time being (not to mention figuring out how you would do it, you'd need a guaranteed trilogy at the very least. After all, the movie we did get was a heavily abridged adapation of the first season, imagine how much more of a disaster it would have been if they had tried to cram the entire series into one movie).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 4, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

That, plus... Well, has Nick even shown any interest in doing anything more with the franchise?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Considering how they treated the tail end of Korra, I'd say it's a safe bet that they're not interested at all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

I'm sure they could have fixed it as I don't remember her hair being that phallic-looking in the cartoon. But, like with most things in the movie, nobody involved really seemed to care all that much.

Granted difference is animated hair does not flow like real hair, what happened in the movie is they did it exactly like the show, but didn't account for the fact gravity will pull on the loops, and hair doesn't stick together neatly without some form of styling gel.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Considering how they treated the tail end of Korra, I'd say it's a safe bet that they're not interested at all.

That'd be the other major hurdle, yeah. :v: I wouldn't blame Mike and Bryke in the slightest for not wanting to have anything to do with Nick ever again after how badly they got screwed... even though Korra was supposed to be one of Nick's flagship shows at the time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Like, maybe they'll reboot it in 10 or 20 years when that nostalgia becomes the big thing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Larryb posted:

Though then again, every season had it's share of weird episodes (like the homage to Footloose in Season 3).

This episode gets its share of hate but I think it's one of the most important ones in the entire series, it does a really good job humanizing the people in the Fire Nation and establishing how people can be conditioned and propagandized through their schooling and so on. It's a pretty important topic for a kid's show and not something that gets touched on very often.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also it gives Aang a bandana and that's an A+ look

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone was styling for the undercover run through the fire nation, I actually wish they kept that look for the rest of season 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Koramei posted:

This episode gets its share of hate but I think it's one of the most important ones in the entire series, it does a really good job humanizing the people in the Fire Nation and establishing how people can be conditioned and propagandized through their schooling and so on. It's a pretty important topic for a kid's show and not something that gets touched on very often.

Never said it was bad (I actually liked it a lot more than I was expecting to), just that it was kind of a weird concept that they managed to make work (I actually wish they'd kept their Fire Nation clothes for the entire season, a lot of the characters looked better that way).

In fact I'd go so far to say that there are no truly bad episodes in the original series (maybe The Great Divide but that's more pointless than it is terrible and while The Swamp, as I mentioned, was unnecessary it wasn't that bad either).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 5, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I liked My Life as a Zucchini well enough, but ultimately found it a little too aloof and reactionary. Meanwhile, Kubo is looking better and better in my memory, as far as stop motion animated pictures go.

My fav animation of '16 is still Summer's Puke is Winter's Delight, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:munch: Rescuers :munch:

I got this on bluray the other day in a nifty 2-pack with The Rescuers Down Under!

Other blurays I picked up: Brother Bear 2-pack (including the DTV sequel), and Toy Story 1-3 (the individual special editions)

Disney bluray sales are dangerous for me...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What is this, the Rescue Aid & Every Conceivable Cultural Stereotype Society?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My Bakshi vision quest continues. Watched Fire and Ice last night after finishing Wizards. Wizards is way better. Fire and Ice is a bit of a slog. The opening is GORGEOUS and looks like Frazzetta's art come to life. Then it just becomes two boring white people traveling in the snow for a long time. It's the least I think I've enjoyed one of his movies (including Cool World).

The only one I haven't seen now is Hey Good Lookin'. Though I haven't seen LOTR in at least 15 years, Fritz the Cat in like 5, and I watched Cool World a couple years ago. I'll probably rewatch all three of them.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What I think is truly bad about Cool World is it had the kernels of a good movie, but baffling casting, asspull plot points, the utterly immature way sex is handled, and frankly lazy animation (the doodles have no weight even in their own world, there's a lot of obvious looping animation) collided and buried all the potential.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The story of cool world is so, so bad and the fact its probably the best version (see the original source or the first script draft) is astonishing

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Hope this is the right place to post this, but here goes:

I'm reviewing all of the Disney animated films starting with Snow White this Wednesday at 2 PST. I'm looking for people that know about animation as well as Disney animation. Contact me through PM or skype (my username is this name) and I'll see you there!

Thanks, all!

JesseHechtCREATIVE fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 5, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can help review Disney movies

Here's my review of Chicken Little:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Were you not warned to avoid Chicken Little? It's that bad

Unmature
May 9, 2008
The best part about Cool World are the cartoon world backgrounds that are clearly just paintings and cardboard cutouts. You can see the stands in the floor sometimes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Whoa, hey. Pump your brakes, kid. Chicken Little was o-kay. :mad:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Peter Sallis, voice of Wallace from Wallace & Gromit, passed away at 96.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That's interesting; I look forward to your thoughts on, like, everything. I mean, I really dug JelloApocalypse's go-through of every Disney Animated Canon film (except The Wild, which technically is only canon outside of America, where it replaces Dinosaur, and including some films that aren't part of the Canon like Mary Poppins or Song of the South), so I guess I just kinda dig this sorta thing in general. Even if I disagree with his takes on Oliver and Co. and The Rescuers Down Under - those films are great!

And yeah, RIP Wallace :(

Hedrigall posted:

What is this, the Rescue Aid & Every Conceivable Cultural Stereotype Society?
RAECCSS for short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Peter Sallis, voice of Wallace from Wallace & Gromit, passed away at 96.

I never knew his voice actor was that old. 96 is a good age.

It's gonnna be a real shame when Gromit's voice actor dies.