Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's kind of incredible seeing the initial "OMG THIS GAME ISN'T FAIR JASON IS TOO STRONG!!!!!" outcry turn into "Jason needs to be faster and have special group-kill powers or ranged weapons because the counselors are always winning"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's kind of incredible seeing the initial "OMG THIS GAME ISN'T FAIR JASON IS TOO STRONG!!!!!" outcry turn into "Jason needs to be faster and have special group-kill powers or ranged weapons because the counselors are always winning"

So what your saying is people should just git gud.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Alteisen posted:

Yea but thats the nerd girl after her make over.

Counter point:

Debs isn't the proper amount of nerd girl frumpy :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
He has knives and they are good enough. poo poo cooldown though.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Ran into my first Jason cheater today. Dude killed all 7 counselors within the first 4ish minutes. I was killed in the first thirty seconds, and as I watched him kill the others, my first thought was, "Man, this guy is great at the Shift grab" followed immediately by the thought, "Wait...Jason doesn't have Shift a minute into the round." Then I thought maybe he just got really lucky with his Morphs, and then I remembered that Morph has a cool down.

I suppose this is what I get for feeling smug about the comparatively smooth PC launch.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

cerebral posted:

Ran into my first Jason cheater today. Dude killed all 7 counselors within the first 4ish minutes. I was killed in the first thirty seconds, and as I watched him kill the others, my first thought was, "Man, this guy is great at the Shift grab" followed immediately by the thought, "Wait...Jason doesn't have Shift a minute into the round." Then I thought maybe he just got really lucky with his Morphs, and then I remembered that Morph has a cool down.

I suppose this is what I get for feeling smug about the comparatively smooth PC launch.

Yeah being able to alt f4 your anti cheat poo poo was a bad call, gotta admit.

I did hear a radio DJ in the Charlotte area just mention the game though. She said wait on it, it's buggy now, but when it works it's really fun. It stuck out to me because they don't talk about games, it was brought up because it's Friday the freaking 13th

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 4, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I still feel like shift-grabbing is a little too cheesy and against the spirit of the game. Jason might pop out from behind a corner suddenly, but he doesn't materialize out of thin air with his hand already around your neck.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

404notfound posted:

I still feel like shift-grabbing is a little too cheesy and against the spirit of the game. Jason might pop out from behind a corner suddenly, but he doesn't materialize out of thin air with his hand already around your neck.

Jason X. He just showed up out of no where in a lock room and shoved that hot chick' s face into liquid nitrogen

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jason is easily the most likable and relatable slasher villain, so he also stands as one of the most popular and marketable.

Of all the big name slashers, Jason is the only victim of the group. He's the only one that works as a hero-ish figure.

Leatherface is still a cannibal, even if he is mentally stunted and raised by truly wretched, awful people. His few moments of being more than he is are squashed by the fact that he does love eating people and doing hosed up poo poo with them.

Freddy, yeah, total monster in life and death.

Michael Myers, the same. Even the Rob Zombie movie didn't give us his backstory to make him sympathetic, because that wasn't why he started doing what he did and became what he is.

Jason? Jason was just some poor kid with physical deformities and possibly mental issues who grew up in the goddamn 50s with a single mother who, herself, was not quite right in the head. Yet she treated him with nothing but love and affection and her only mistake was having to do her job while counselors didn't give two shits about her child.

Then she goes off the deep end and dies and he just spends the rest of his life trying to keep people out of the area no matter what they do to him or how dead they make him. To Jason, the camp is an evil place where only bad, evil people go, and if you are there he will kill you.

If you leave with him knowing you've left, you're good to go. He no longer gives a poo poo about you unless you killed his mom.

Part 8 is a good example of Jason's weird morality. He's hunting down only the people from Camp Crystal Lake, because in his eyes they never really left. The only people in New York that he kills besides them are people who were in his way, or really awful people. He out right saved Chrissy from being raped by those two thugs, even though he was still planning on killing her after the fact.

This is why in Freddy VS Jason, Jason kept getting written as the good guy in all the spec scripts, and basically was the good guy in the movie itself. Even though he out right murders almost the entire cast including all but two of the main characters.

Jason isn't evil in the same way Freddy is. He's more than happy to just hang out in his dumb little cabin growing his weed and be left alone.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Something cool about this game I've noticed that nobody's really commented on: the blood effects when someone gets stuck by a throwing knife is fantastic. Sometimes the knife will stick in for a few seconds, and what will start out as a small amount of blood will realistically start pooling up until you're absolutely soaked in blood. Really well-done stuff!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah being able to alt f4 your anti cheat poo poo was a bad call, gotta admit.

I did hear a radio DJ in the Charlotte area just mention the game though. She said wait on it, it's buggy now, but when it works it's really fun. It stuck out to me because they don't talk about games, it was brought up because it's Friday the freaking 13th
The game sold very well on Steam, but for some reason, it gets buried all the time on the store front.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder how well it's done on PS4?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Snatch Duster posted:

Jason X. He just showed up out of no where in a lock room and shoved that hot chick' s face into liquid nitrogen

You're misremembering. He's on the autopsy slab in that room and wakes up to the sounds of two kids loving.

Part 8 is where he appears in impossible places.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What perks are good? I know it varies somewhat by counselor but... Do you want to shore up your characters weaknesses or double down on their strengths or take stuff that's useful for everyone like starting with items?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

weekly font posted:

You're misremembering. He's on the autopsy slab in that room and wakes up to the sounds of two kids loving.

Part 8 is where he appears in impossible places.

He had a bit of Slasher teleporting in earlier movies, but mostly explainable things.

Part 8 is either when he became the Flash or just started teleporting every goddamn where. He's below you unarmed and now he's right above you with a guitar.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This game certainly has its moments where the suspension of disbelief just snaps in half.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

404notfound posted:

Yeah I try to avoid doing it at all costs even though I'm not good at it anyway. Earlier today I just shifted about 30 yards in front of someone and their stamina gave out. She couldn't out run the slow stride. I really enjoy the slower Jason, though at this point I have only played as 6, 2, and 3. Something about hearing the confidence in people dwindle as they go from poo poo talking to realizing their doom is just cathartic.

Also noticed that even when people are grouping up, it is often a poo poo show. I don't know how many times now I've dodged or have been missed by the flare or shotgun even (or better yet witness it as a counselor), grab the person and during the kill animation everyone burns their flares thinking that will stun Jason. "We have a shotgun and 3 flares....he's hosed." *3-4 die 2 minutes later*

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Burkion posted:

He had a bit of Slasher teleporting in earlier movies, but mostly explainable things.

Part 8 is either when he became the Flash or just started teleporting every goddamn where. He's below you unarmed and now he's right above you with a guitar.

Part 6 their was the couple in the woods who were running from Jason. Get to their motorcycle to get away and he appears in front of them and stabs through both with his machete. You would think if he was standing in front of the bike they would have seen him but slasher movie magic.

To bad they didn't include the kill from the movie where someone gets folded in half.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TOOT BOOT posted:

What perks are good? I know it varies somewhat by counselor but... Do you want to shore up your characters weaknesses or double down on their strengths or take stuff that's useful for everyone like starting with items?
Providing you are lucky enough to even get them: As you are starting out, get something that regenerates stamina, map, and damage reduction. If you have enough experience and strong perks, get the stuff that makes it easier to survive Jason, like increased stun chance for bats and weapon attack speed. You need about 44% (ballpark estimate) weapon speed to be faster than Jason.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
When the boat is escaping and you're in the water as Jason, are you suppose to get a prompt to tip the boat? I had them run right over me and I never saw a prompt. Was able to morph to the water exit and it happened again. It's the first time I've ever had a boat get fixed on me - so I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if it was a bug.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Burkion posted:

You could argue that's all there were in the first movie!

I kid, I kid.

Aw come on, no one looks good with such bad lighting and 70s hair.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
jason is simultaneously weak and OP

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

When the boat is escaping and you're in the water as Jason, are you suppose to get a prompt to tip the boat? I had them run right over me and I never saw a prompt. Was able to morph to the water exit and it happened again. It's the first time I've ever had a boat get fixed on me - so I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong or if it was a bug.

you're supposed to get an e prompt when they get close to you, yeah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

404notfound posted:

Yeah, Shift-grabbing I'm pretty sure is 95% of Jason kills, which is a little lovely because it's way too easy. I'm not a fan of playing Jason so I hardly ever do, but when I do I kill most of the counselors and I'm pretty much just phoning it in the whole time.

Jason's grab let's you do an auto kill almost instantly sometimes and it feels cheap, costs him nothing and is seemingly random. They should change it so that Jason can get an instant kill but it's a lame one where he uses up a throwing knife in the process to stab the counselor and it should net him a lot less points. The other kills should take longer to be able to execute giving the counselor time to QTE out of the grab but they're free for Jason to pull off.

The QTE element should also be based around stamina: Mashing E allows you to fill the bar up as fast as you can, at the cost of stamina, once your stamina wears out it will only fill up at a set limit. This way it comes down to Jason wearing out the counselor's stamina rather than having his grab kills be instant and free, as you chase someone they're going to use up Stamina to run, but if you grab them they're going to use up more to break free of your grasp, Jason would slowly whittle away stamina so you're basically dead in the water without it and then his grab kill would be earned since you wouldn't be able to mash out of his grip in time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

404notfound posted:

I mostly play Jason 6 where it's really how to play the character. What I will say is that I only do it when I'm running around outside. It's so dark that I do think that you can reasonably assume that he ran out of the bushes or something. The VHS filter effect helps with that too.

I kind of hate when I'm camping in a shed with a rifle pointed at the door and a bear trap between us, seeing a Jason stare me down for three minutes and then blink out of existence. It forces me to do dumb stuff like run in circles around the room to throw off the mechanic and it's just really no longer an interactive Friday the 13th movie. As opposed to when I'm being chased down and anticipate the shift, so I start dodging through trees to throw off the mechanic.

Burkion posted:

Jason is easily the most likable and relatable slasher villain, so he also stands as one of the most popular and marketable.
Jason is honestly a really weird character. He plays on urban fears of the wilderness, but he himself is not really representative of the wilderness in any way. There's kind of an inbred hick quality to him, but Crystal Lake seems like it's supposed to be in North East. You're right that he's often depicted as a victim, but he's rarely treated sympathetically and often depict him as straight up evil. Then there's kind of the elephant in the room of is he's supposed to be mentally retarded. He starts off as a weird zombie child, spends three films as just a deformed giant who can't be killed for no real reason, and then becomes a zombie in the 6th entry of his film series.

I don't think it's that he's relatable, I think he's a character who is so ill-defined that it's easy to project onto him.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I think he's cool because that hockey mask looks rad and he pulls peoples heads off and poo poo and one time he got to ride in a boat.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Tomahawk posted:

I don't know if I'm a scrub at lvl 22 still but IMO I feel like running Jasons are the OP ones whereas speedwalking Jasons are fine. Running Jasons can do all sorts of dumb gamey poo poo on top of shiftgrabbing that are either impossible or a lot harder to gauge/do well as a walking Jason (round start morph run kills, morph grabs) and are tougher to deal with in both ranged and melee combat.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
The range on melee as a counselor feels weird to get down. I learned this on my double homicide last night.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tomahawk posted:

We have always been at war with Jason

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You need to be on the side of the boat. I had the same thing happen to me. The boat ended up pushing Jason who was underwater like 20 feet before it finally dislodged Jason to the side.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

joylessdivision posted:

So what your saying is people should just git gud.

The most important tip I can give in this thread is Chad is a dick.

The second most important tip I can give you is that when you're playing as Jason if you hear Pamela say "they're coming for me, Jason. Don't let them hurt me!" you teleport your rear end to that sweater and you loving kill that girl, pronto.

When you first leave Jason's shack remember where it was you started.

And none of this would have happened if yoy killed the power, preventing a Tommy Jarvis spawn, you big lug.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, Shift-grabbing I'm pretty sure is 95% of Jason kills, which is a little lovely because it's way too easy. I'm not a fan of playing Jason so I hardly ever do, but when I do I kill most of the counselors and I'm pretty much just phoning it in the whole time.

Jason's grab let's you do an auto kill almost instantly sometimes and it feels cheap, costs him nothing and is seemingly random. They should change it so that Jason can get an instant kill but it's a lame one where he uses up a throwing knife in the process to stab the counselor and it should net him a lot less points. The other kills should take longer to be able to execute giving the counselor time to QTE out of the grab but they're free for Jason to pull off.

The QTE element should also be based around stamina: Mashing E allows you to fill the bar up as fast as you can, at the cost of stamina, once your stamina wears out it will only fill up at a set limit. This way it comes down to Jason wearing out the counselor's stamina rather than having his grab kills be instant and free, as you chase someone they're going to use up Stamina to run, but if you grab them they're going to use up more to break free of your grasp, Jason would slowly whittle away stamina so you're basically dead in the water without it and then his grab kill would be earned since you wouldn't be able to mash out of his grip in time.

I'd prefer it to be based off of fear. Make the kills charge up based on how much fear the counselor has when grabbed. A counselor with low fear can easily throw off Jason's grip before he can start a kill while a counselor pissing their pants has no chance because the kill charges up almost instantly. It would prevent bullshit early grabs and foster a more intelligent playstyle based around smashing generators and windows spreading the fear around and less around shift-grabbing the first person you see.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'd prefer it to be based off of fear. Make the kills charge up based on how much fear the counselor has when grabbed. A counselor with low fear can easily throw off Jason's grip before he can start a kill while a counselor pissing their pants has no chance because the kill charges up almost instantly. It would prevent bullshit early grabs and foster a more intelligent playstyle based around smashing generators and windows spreading the fear around and less around shift-grabbing the first person you see.

Or just soften them up until they're gravely wounded, which is how I like to play. That way if they have a pocket knife they have a harder time getting away.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

it's based on composure and fear - the right counselors can get out of grabs if they haven't been hurt or scared to a near panic pretty quickly and easily.

Also, shift grab isn't that hard to avoid, you just have to 180 as the counselor a short bit after he shifts. Once people know timings it will seem way less cheap, because moving Jason in shift is kind of a pain.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Jason is honestly a really weird character. He plays on urban fears of the wilderness, but he himself is not really representative of the wilderness in any way. There's kind of an inbred hick quality to him, but Crystal Lake seems like it's supposed to be in North East. You're right that he's often depicted as a victim, but he's rarely treated sympathetically and often depict him as straight up evil. Then there's kind of the elephant in the room of is he's supposed to be mentally retarded. He starts off as a weird zombie child, spends three films as just a deformed giant who can't be killed for no real reason, and then becomes a zombie in the 6th entry of his film series.

Jason isn't really portrayed as good, he's more of a force of nature IMO rather than the unrelenting evil of most other slasher villains. It's also kind of important to remember that Jason died as a child, so the Jason that shows up in later films is, quite literally, the embodiment of what people are afraid of rather than Jason the drowned child himself.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

TheAnomaly posted:

Also, shift grab isn't that hard to avoid, you just have to 180 as the counselor a short bit after he shifts. Once people know timings it will seem way less cheap, because moving Jason in shift is kind of a pain.

Unless they begin the shift far enough away that you don't see the initial VHS effect. By the time he exits he's got you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What I'm getting from most of this is a lot of you don't play with Tinfoil and Duster almost exclusively like I do.

Trust me, you're going to loving need any trick the game can give you to survive. I have no joke watched Duster multiple times just out run any number of Jasons for over 7 minutes on his own.

If you know how to run and you have a good place to do it, Jason will not catch you unless you hit some bad luck or he hits some really good luck.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
luck frequently seems to manifest itself in lag spikes in this game for me, personally

i've had jason force grab me from around a corner because of lag before, that was really frustrating and that sort of collision wonkiness is currently my chief complaint with the game - though it's not a huge one. 9 times out of 10 it works sensibly, but that one time you just go pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I've been saying forever that Jason is only strong because of all the bugs and janky mechanics in his favor. A high stamina character like Vanessa can literally outrun a powerwalking Jason forever as long as she properly manages her stamina.

I always shift-grab Vanessas and Tiffanys. If you don't kill them as soon as you find them you will regret it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of hate when I'm camping in a shed with a rifle pointed at the door and a bear trap between us, seeing a Jason stare me down for three minutes and then blink out of existence. It forces me to do dumb stuff like run in circles around the room to throw off the mechanic and it's just really no longer an interactive Friday the 13th movie. As opposed to when I'm being chased down and anticipate the shift, so I start dodging through trees to throw off the mechanic.
That is why you should drop traps outside the door. He cannot get around it, causes him to think about it, causes your lazier instincts to abandon it for something easier, sets him up for attacking through the door.
Hit him with a one use weapon through the door and then melee him when he breaks the door. You can get a free hit on him when he destroys the door and pulls back his weapon. If you don't have a melee weapon, get a second trap for the door. Really wastes his time. Lots of points. Blare loud music the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
As a non-spear Jason you can stand to the right of the door with the door to your side to attack it without going into the animation. Do this for the last attack if he's being a dingdong and waiting to hit you in your vulnerable state.

• Locked thread