Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

It's OK to actively support the death of those less fortunate than you as long as you abstract the mechanism of their death to something neat and rationalized - dignified, like the market. Thus the moderate Republican of the Romney camp is much more respectable than a redneck, despite having infinitely more blood on his hands.

I like the implicit statement here that it's more moral to kill people abstractly so long as you're sufficiently rural, or alternately the implicit statement that you're once again talking out your rear end about the USA despite knowing very little about it. But, since you're willing to spout about how rural people are more authentic than urban people, certain people will confuse you for someone who knows what the hell he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

But there is no common ground between a cut taxes middle class fygm Republican and a leftist. Policy that is designed to help poor people will also help poor racist rurals though.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

flashman posted:

But there is no common ground between a cut taxes middle class fygm Republican and a leftist. Policy that is designed to help poor people will also help poor racist rurals though.

Leftist policy would also help the middle-class Republican, because middle-class people are still proletarians. So that's not actually a response to the question.

I mean, you did offer an unintentional response that racism doesn't matter, but I'll ignore that.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Leftist policy would also help the middle-class Republican, because middle-class people are still proletarians. So that's not actually a response to the question.

I mean, you did offer an unintentional response that racism doesn't matter, but I'll ignore that.

No they're not, per the definition of middle class. Lawyers, doctors, small business owners, etc, etc, are by definition not the working class

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

icantfindaname posted:

No they're not, per the definition of middle class. Lawyers, doctors, small business owners, etc, etc, are by definition not the working class
No one but doctors thinks doctors are middle class.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Those three aren't usually middle-class, bucko, but lawyers and doctors aren't bourgeois by Marxian standards. They are by the standards of bloodthirsty little college kids, but y'all don't got the guts to go massacring people for having graduate degrees in any case.

Here's a hint: the majority of people in the middle class don't rent out capital in order to survive, they sell their labor power to do so.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Those three aren't usually middle-class, bucko, but lawyers and doctors aren't bourgeois by Marxian standards. They are by the standards of bloodthirsty little college kids, but y'all don't got the guts to go massacring people for having graduate degrees in any case.

Here's a hint: the majority of people in the middle class don't rent out capital in order to survive, they sell their labor power to do so.

The self-employed are by definition the petty bougeois, they do not sell their labor, they are engaged in production with capital they own themselves

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

From the article "Who are they? Romney-Clinton voters are, generally speaking, college-educated suburban professionals: lawyers, doctors and businesspeople."

These are the people you are expecting to help with left policy?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

No one but doctors thinks doctors are middle class.

flashman posted:

From the article "Who are they? Romney-Clinton voters are, generally speaking, college-educated suburban professionals: lawyers, doctors and businesspeople."

Nobody but doctors and Democratic Party staffers and strategists

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 4, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

icantfindaname posted:

The self-employed are by definition the petty bougeois, they do not sell their labor, they are engaged in production with capital they own themselves
What proportion of lawyers and doctors do you believe are self-employed? Or really, in the case of lawyers, employed at all.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

The majority of people in the middle class as that term is used colloquially, not the definition you cooked up to avoid having to concede anything, are not self-employed. 50% of doctors, for that matter, are not self-employed and are Marxian proletarians.

flashman posted:

These are the people that would inevitably be helped by left-wing policy, since they are not part of the bourgeoisie. Unless you think leftism is about butchering doctors to redistribute their medical school debts..?

I mean, if y'all want to use a definition of "middle-class" that refers solely to self-employed people, that means a substantial number of besuited suburban Republicans are now lower-class/working-class, which you should be willing to acknowledge.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

The majority of people in the middle class as that term is used colloquially, not the definition you cooked up to avoid having to concede anything, are not self-employed. 50% of doctors, for that matter, are not self-employed and are Marxian proletarians.

These are the people that would inevitably be helped by left-wing policy, since they are not part of the bourgeoisie. Unless you think leftism is about butchering doctors to redistribute their medical school debts..?

I mean, if y'all want to use a definition of "middle-class" that refers solely to self-employed people, that means a substantial number of besuited suburban Republicans are now lower-class/working-class, which you should be willing to acknowledge.

Yeah man the previously Republican voting lawyers and doctors and small business owners are all about minimum wage hikes and higher taxes and social spending you are right I bow before your intellect.

The Democrats tent just became the 99 percent this is amazing we will never lose again!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

flashman posted:

Yeah man the previously Republican voting lawyers and doctors and small business owners are all about minimum wage hikes and higher taxes and social spending you are right I bow before your intellect.

Do you know what the word "helped" means? Because it seems like you don't.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone is asking for a compromise on principles. Look where triangulation got us. But you get votes wherever you can, by pushing ideology. The belief that white workers are all genetically racist, and that clearly chasing after the suburbs for the umpteenth time is going to produce results now, is just pure ideology. In order to push class interest, its important that the party be composed of and have the support of the class they want to represent.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

Do you know what the word "helped" means? Because it seems like you don't.

I mean do you think American leftist policy is going to be full communism ?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

flashman posted:

I mean do you think American leftist policy is going to be full communism ?

So your "leftism" is not anti-capitalist in any meaningful way?

rudatron posted:

I don't think anyone is asking for a compromise on principles. Look where triangulation got us. But you get votes wherever you can, by pushing ideology. The belief that white workers are all genetically racist, and that clearly chasing after the suburbs for the umpteenth time is going to produce results now, is just pure ideology. In order to push class interest, its important that the party be composed of and have the support of the class they want to represent.

The guy who blamed black people and anti-white racism for Donald Trump's election doesn't believe in looking at racism structurally. What a surprise.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't do either of those things, buddy, I blamed and still blame idpol.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

I didn't do either of those things, buddy, I blamed and still blame idpol.

Okay, you blame antiracism, feminism, and LGBT liberation. Glad to see that your ideology is apparently the real leftism.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

The guy who blamed black people and anti-white racism for Donald Trump's election doesn't believe in looking at racism structurally. What a surprise.

When you are talking about the Democratic party in the United States and leftist policy it refers to higher minimum wage, some form of UHC etc. Not to a Marxist revolution....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

rudatron posted:

its important that the party be composed of and have the support of the class they want to represent.

It already is. Minorities, the poor, and the middle class making under $50k simply haven't figured it out yet that the Democratic Party isn't their party anymore- but gladly accepts their votes and donations.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

flashman posted:

When you are talking about the Democratic party in the United States and leftist policy it refers to higher minimum wage, some form of UHC etc. Not to a Marxist revolution....

Mister Facetious posted:

It already is. Minorities, the poor, and the middle class making under $50k simply haven't figured it out yet that the Democratic Party isn't their party anymore- but gladly accepts their votes and donations.

Ah yes, the ol' "black people are too stupid to know what's good for them" saw.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Everyone that isn't a university educated, white collar professional making over $50k a year, actually; not just blacks. Pay attention to what I typed, not what you want to read.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

Everyone that isn't a university educated, white collar professional making over $50k a year, actually. Not just blacks. Pay attention to what I typed, not what you want to read.

Okay, so everyone is too stupid to think for themselves except Bernie diehards. Sounds like a truly liberating ideology.

Also, "blacks"? Really?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Idpol isn't leftism, its virtue-politics liberalism masquerading as radicalism. It had nothing interesring to say, no insight to give, and its not interested in emancipation, or mass politics. It is made for exactly one purpose - justifying a smug superiority complex.

Anyone interested in the liberation struggle, against oppression along class, racial, gender & sexual orientation lined, should recognize it as destructive/counter productive. Sadly, many do not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, so everyone is too stupid to think for themselves except Bernie diehards. Sounds like a truly liberating ideology.

Also, "blacks"? Really?

I'm Canadian. We don't say, "African Canadians" or "African Americans".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

America isn't going to reject capitalism anytime soon, we might as well try to make it the best version of it we can.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

So why are you acting as if you're an American, fuckface? Furthermore, the appropriate term would be black people.

WampaLord posted:

America isn't going to reject capitalism anytime soon, we might as well try to make it the best version of it we can.

So what differentiates you from liberals again? Because you're advocating pragmatic incrementalism and rejecting anti-capitalism...

rudatron posted:

Idpol isn't leftism, its virtue-politics liberalism masquerading as radicalism. It had nothing interesring to say, no insight to give, and its not interested in emancipation, or mass politics. It is made for exactly one purpose - justifying a smug superiority complex.

Anyone interested in the liberation struggle, against oppression along class, racial, gender & sexual orientation lined, should recognize it as destructive/counter productive. Sadly, many do not.

I'd ask you to define "identity politics" but you'd take 10000 words and not even say anything in the process.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

So why are you acting as if you're an American, fuckface? Furthermore, the appropriate term would be black people.

I never said I was. Doesn't forbid me from engaging in the conversation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mister Facetious posted:

That's fine, may I suggest instead saying "black people/citizens/Canadians/etc"?

e: ugh, beaten by b5, my labor organizing ancestors cry out in shame

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Brainiac Five posted:

The most realistic expectations of complete victory for the American left at this time is maybe Nordic model social democracy.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

I never said I was. Doesn't forbid me from engaging in the conversation.

It is, however, creepy to talk as if Americans are mentally inferior to Canadians and intimate that you must rule over us.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mister Facetious posted:

Speaking as a fellow Canadian, we do tend to add "people" at the end of "black" when we don't want to come across as assholes, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

So what differentiates you from liberals again? Because you're advocating pragmatic incrementalism and rejecting anti-capitalism...

flashman posted:

The most realistic expectations of complete victory for the American left at this time is maybe Nordic model social democracy.

"Liberals" are the ones bitching about a $15 minimum wage and Medicare for All, whereas I embrace those solutions.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

It is, however, creepy to talk as if Americans are mentally inferior to Canadians and intimate that you must rule over us.

Our education system is pretty bad to be fair

Also being annexed by canada would be a net upgrade imo

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

"Liberals" are the ones bitching about a $15 minimum wage and Medicare for All, whereas I embrace those solutions.

So you embrace a solution to the health-care crisis that only pays for about half of medical expenses, eh? In fact, it would probably worsen healthcare, given that there are almost three times as many people on Medicaid as uninsured currently, and would still be 1.5 times as many under AHCA.

Anyways, you can find plenty of self-professed liberals that embrace such incremental changes as higher minimum wages and single-payer health insurance (many of them even smart enough not to fall for "Medicare for All"), so I guess they're self-deluded? Or maybe you've seized on "leftist" because you're attempting to destroy actual leftism in the USA and prevent it from ever achieving anything.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Our education system is pretty bad to be fair

Also being annexed by canada would be a net upgrade imo

Okay, lickspittle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Wait, what?

How did figure tha- I mean...

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

I'd ask you to define "identity politics" but you'd take 10000 words and not even say anything in the process.

"liberalism"

quote mao's combat liberalism

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Falstaff posted:

Speaking as a fellow Canadian, we do tend to add "people" at the end of "black" when we don't want to come across as assholes, though.

I thought it was the other way around.

Also, "People of Color" is deliberately divisive, and loving repugnant.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

Wait, what?

How did figure tha- I mean...

You're saying that you've got it figured out where Americans don't, buddy, and they need to follow your proclamations.

Mister Facetious posted:

I thought it was the other way around.

Also, "People of Color" is deliberately divisive, and loving repugnant.

Ah, if only nonwhite people were less "divisive", racism wouldn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

So you embrace a solution to the health-care crisis that only pays for about half of medical expenses, eh? In fact, it would probably worsen healthcare, given that there are almost three times as many people on Medicaid as uninsured currently, and would still be 1.5 times as many under AHCA.

Anyways, you can find plenty of self-professed liberals that embrace such incremental changes as higher minimum wages and single-payer health insurance (many of them even smart enough not to fall for "Medicare for All"), so I guess they're self-deluded? Or maybe you've seized on "leftist" because you're attempting to destroy actual leftism in the USA and prevent it from ever achieving anything.

:rolleyes: I'm not even going to engage with your usual gimmick of making up your own definition of words. I don't really call myself a "leftist" to be honest, so I'm not sure what you're even going for here. I'm just willing to embrace much more radical solutions than the "very serious people" think up.

• Locked thread