Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Please elaborate, I can't tell if you're saying "no, it's not Christian" for an unexplained reason, or if you're saying "no, you didn't agree with my exact wording, therefore it's not Christian", or what.

I mean, Pigsy is someone who did get stripped of his divine glory and tossed down to Earth, but I suspect you will continue to avoid engaging with the underlying argument that "this motif is not uniquely Christian or Abrahamic in origin".

I didn't want to go into detail because it seems stupid to argue about a work I'm not familiar with, but if you insist, I guess we can.

I asked if specific imagery had been deployed in the work you mentioned, and the implication of your comment was that, no, that specific imagery hadn't been used, and you instead described broader, less specifically similar imagery that had. Was Monkey thrown down by the creator of mankind? Is Monkey shown as a god when in heaven? Is Monkey a deceiver, corrupting man through his own worst impulses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

It's explicitly clear you're a condescending dickhead

Calm down, learned one.

So, Sir Kodiak makes a valid statement, as many others have, that there's a lot of Judeo-Christian imagery that people would recognize. All the same, people would recognize that this Christian imagery is being delivered alongside images of lightning bolts that one would also associate with Zeus, who is explicitly named. I think it's possible that these things are used simultaneously. You've presumed something about some kind of agenda against other types of religions and beliefs, while ignoring the very text of the film using imagery that people are very familiar with. I'd love to talk about how this film uses this imagery as effectively as I think SMG points out that "Colossal" is really about a bad "Soul Metaphor", but I think the person who is throwing the proverbial fist is you.

I have to come to a similar conclusion that you are not someone worth talking to, but I do feel like showing some solidarity to people who I think were genuinely engaging you while you made all these assumptions about what they think imagery is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

I didn't want to go into detail because it seems stupid to argue about a work I'm not familiar with, but if you insist, I guess we can.

I asked if specific imagery had been deployed in the work you mentioned, and the implication of your comment was that, no, that specific imagery hadn't been used, and you instead described broader, less specifically similar imagery that had. Was Monkey thrown down by the creator of mankind? Is Monkey shown as a god when in heaven? Is Monkey a deceiver, corrupting man through his own worst impulses?

Since Ares doesn't "corrupt" anyone, I think the discussion ought to be over here. I mean, you seem to be specifically resisting the idea that a fall-from-heaven motif can have any meaning except a Christian one, but by nitpicking rather than accepting that it's a broad mythological motif.

Corrosion posted:

Calm down, learned one.

So, Sir Kodiak makes a valid statement, as many others have, that there's a lot of Judeo-Christian imagery that people would recognize. All the same, people would recognize that this Christian imagery is being delivered alongside images of lightning bolts that one would also associate with Zeus, who is explicitly named. I think it's possible that these things are used simultaneously. You've presumed something about some kind of agenda against other types of religions and beliefs, while ignoring the very text of the film using imagery that people are very familiar with. I'd love to talk about how this film uses this imagery as effectively as I think SMG points out that "Colossal" is really about a bad "Soul Metaphor", but I think the person who is throwing the proverbial fist is you.

I have to come to a similar conclusion that you are not someone worth talking to, but I do feel like showing some solidarity to people who I think were genuinely engaging you while you made all these assumptions about what they think imagery is.

Throwing fists is a good response to condescension, since the only way to get people to stop being conceited is for them to face negative consequences for it. You're engaging in wild presumptions about me, but apparently this is fine because you view yourself as somehow more exalted than the hoi polloi. Well, I wish you luck in maintaining that orchid self-righteousness in the harsh heat of the outside world.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nickoten posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, she never interacts with Dr. Poison nor has Dr. Poison pointed out to her during the gala. Is there a scene before that where people show her a picture or something?

Because if you know Greek mythology, then you know Zeus never created humanity nor really cared about them enough to make a "godkiller" to counter Ares who is reimagined in this movie as akin to the Antichrist (a "false prophet" who sows discord and incites world-ending war among men). And these changes are made to a movie that has to tie in with Batman vs. Superman, which is absolutely drenched in similar imagery.

So why are you saying people must not be familiar with either of these mythos to make this observation, exactly?

Grew up half Hindu and I can tell you the allegories are pretty obvious, especially coming from a movie made, as far as I can tell, by WASPs.

Correct. When she meets the generals.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Since Ares doesn't "corrupt" anyone…

There's literally a scene of him walking, hidden, as he whispers schemes for power in someone's ear.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's literally a scene of him walking, hidden, as he whispers schemes for power in someone's ear.

The entire point of the revelation is that he only offers ideas and the person has to act on them. There's no moral degeneration (and this is why Ludendorff was used as a character) involved. Indeed, if your version of the movie were the case, there would be no ambiguity because humanity would be free from war after Ares had died.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

The entire point of the revelation is that he only offers ideas and the person has to act on them. There's no moral degeneration (and this is why Ludendorff was used as a character) involved. Indeed, if your version of the movie were the case, there would be no ambiguity because humanity would be free from war after Ares had died.

So your argument now rests on it being inconsistent with Christian imagery to present Satan as encouraging man's own worst impulses. You may want to reconsider the path that led you here.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

Throwing fists is a good response to condescension, since the only way to get people to stop being conceited is for them to face negative consequences for it.

I disagree. You clearly never gave a poo poo about what I thought, but you're accusing me of condescension after presuming what I think in ill will. The worst type of bad faith communication. You don't have poo poo to teach me, now back to stuff that matters:

You've misread the film again. Ares does corrupt people, the film shows everyone hugging once Wonder Woman kills him. The misfire in killing Luddendorf sowed doubt, which again Trevor had to sacrifice himself for, all the while Wonder Woman's intuition was correct. Killing Ares does have an immediate effect on what he was doing, but corruption isn't what Diana thinks it is.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

So your argument now rests on it being inconsistent with Christian imagery to present Satan as encouraging man's own worst impulses. You may want to reconsider the path that led you here.

No, I am saying that there's no "encouraging humanity's worst impulses" going on, because the entire point of the movie is that Ares doesn't have to do that, indeed he explicitly encourages their best impulses, like peacemaking, because he's convinced humanity is inherently brutal and violent and will refuse goodness when it is offered. If he were, in fact, actively encouraging them to do evil, there would be no ambiguity in the final parts of the movie, Dr. Poison would be purely a victim of external control and we would have no sympathy to Diana's desire to kill her, and (since Ares would clearly have to constantly push evil) the movie would end with humanity free from the desire to do violence.

Corrosion posted:

I disagree. You clearly never gave a poo poo about what I thought, but you're accusing me of condescension after presuming what I think in ill will. The worst type of bad faith communication. You don't have poo poo to teach me, now back to stuff that matters:

You've misread the film again. Ares does corrupt people, the film shows everyone hugging once Wonder Woman kills him. The misfire in killing Luddendorf sowed doubt, which again Trevor had to sacrifice himself for, all the while Wonder Woman's intuition was correct. Killing Ares does have an immediate effect on what he was doing, but corruption isn't what Diana thinks it is.

I didn't respond to anything you said until you posted about how I was obviously in bad faith and stupid and whatnot, or if I did, I didn't pay any attention because your post didn't stand out at all.

Wrong. The movie ends with the nationalistic victory celebrations, and we know that a worse war, without any influence from Ares, is coming. The brief moment of reconciliation doesn't lead to any kind of spiritual redemption for humanity, and indeed Diana believes humanity is irredeemable until the events of Batman v. Superman.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 4, 2017

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Saying he encourages peacemaking is ignoring the subtext of the film. That his "armistice" is going to lead to World War 2. Which is a direct allusion to historical events.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I am saying that there's no "encouraging humanity's worst impulses" going on, because the entire point of the movie is that Ares doesn't have to do that, indeed he explicitly encourages their best impulses, like peacemaking, because he's convinced humanity is inherently brutal and violent and will refuse goodness when it is offered.

Is that why he gave Maru the poison recipe and whispered in the ear of Ludendorff? Or do you maybe have no idea what you're talking about?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

No, I am saying that there's no "encouraging humanity's worst impulses" going on, because the entire point of the movie is that Ares doesn't have to do that, indeed he explicitly encourages their best impulses, like peacemaking, because he's convinced humanity is inherently brutal and violent and will refuse goodness when it is offered. If he were, in fact, actively encouraging them to do evil, there would be no ambiguity in the final parts of the movie, Dr. Poison would be purely a victim of external control and we would have no sympathy to Diana's desire to kill her, and (since Ares would clearly have to constantly push evil) the movie would end with humanity free from the desire to do violence.

There's literally a scene of him walking, hidden, as he whispers schemes for power in someone's ear. He encourages humanity's worst impulses, but he doesn't brainwash people into acting on them. He says, if you want to kill thousands or millions, here's how you could do it. But he doesn't make them do it. This is encouragement and seduction into power. But humanity still bears responsibility for acting on it. This is extremely clear in the movie. I would have thought overly so, being represented both visually and multiple times in dialog, but I guess this conversation is why they have to do stuff like that.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Corrosion posted:

Saying he encourages peacemaking is ignoring the subtext of the film. That his "armistice" is going to lead to World War 2. Which is a direct allusion to historical events.

It actually isn't, but it's okay to not know what "armistice" means. See, now you're proposing that Ares is mind-controlling the entirety of the Triple Alliance, such that he is responsible for the Versailles Treaty. This is of course why he has to rely on Ludendorff and Maru to prolong the war with atrocities, right?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Brainiac Five posted:

I didn't respond to anything you said until you posted about how I was obviously in bad faith and stupid and whatnot, or if I did, I didn't pay any attention because your post didn't stand out at all.

Wrong. The movie ends with the nationalistic victory celebrations, and we know that a worse war, without any influence from Ares, is coming. The brief moment of reconciliation doesn't lead to any kind of spiritual redemption for humanity, and indeed Diana believes humanity is irredeemable until the events of Batman v. Superman.

How are you getting from "encouraging" someone to that someone being "external[ly] control[led]"? If these ideas were synonymous you wouldn't be posting anymore

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

Is that why he gave Maru the poison recipe and whispered in the ear of Ludendorff? Or do you maybe have no idea what you're talking about?

They're the ones who decided to act on that information to do evil. That is rather the point- Dr. Poison isn't innocent, otherwise Diana struggling with the urge to kill her just makes her into a cartoon psychopath.

Sir Kodiak posted:

There's literally a scene of him walking, hidden, as he whispers schemes for power in someone's ear. He encourages humanity's worst impulses, but he doesn't brainwash people into acting on them. He says, if you want to kill thousands or millions, here's how you could do it. But he doesn't make them do it. This is encouragement and seduction into power. But humanity still bears responsibility for acting on it. This is extremely clear in the movie. I would have thought overly so, being represented both visually and multiple times in dialog, but I guess this conversation is why they have to do stuff like that.

So, your entire position is that Ares is simultaneously responsible and not responsible for war. Quite unassailable, quite stupid.

DeimosRising posted:

How are you getting from "encouraging" someone to that someone being "external[ly] control[led]"? If these ideas were synonymous you wouldn't be posting anymore

How are you saying that the movie carries no ambiguity in the death of Ludendorff or the potential death of Maru, since after all it was Ares that bears the responsibility for their actions, in your reading?

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 4, 2017

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Brainiac Five posted:

I didn't respond to anything you said until you posted about how I was obviously in bad faith and stupid

Those initial responses, I took issue with you assuming what my reading was, which is actual condescension on your part. "So it's actually this thing I thought all along." You never asked me what I thought of the use of the film's imagery, you assumed what it was. I was merely pointing out that I think it's using simultaneous imagery and you said "OH HO HO, Egalitarian but it's actually not." I never said anything about that, so I reminded you and you're implying that I have no reason to feel like you're trying to slight me. You have a very clear agenda here and people can sense that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

So, your entire position is that Ares is simultaneously responsible and not responsible for war. Quite unassailable, quite stupid.

Ares and humanity share responsibility. It is in the nature of encouraging that you are responsible if what you encouraged comes to pass. It is in the nature of being encouraged that you are still responsible for your own actions. Even if this moral proposition was unfamiliar to you, despite it being the sort of thing commonly taught to children, the movie explains it.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 4, 2017

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Corrosion posted:

Those initial responses, I took issue with you assuming what my reading was, which is actual condescension on your part. "So it's actually this thing I thought all along." You never asked me what I thought of the use of the film's imagery, you assumed what it was. I was merely pointing out that I think it's using simultaneous imagery and you said "OH HO HO, Egalitarian but it's actually not." I never said anything about that, so I reminded you and you're implying that I have no reason to feel like you're trying to slight me. You have a very clear agenda here and people can sense that.

I have an agenda, that is true:

Sir Kodiak posted:

Ares and humanity share responsibility. It is in the nature of encouraging that you are responsible if what you encouraged comes to past. It is in the nature of being encouraged that you are still responsible for your own actions. Even if this moral proposition was unfamiliar to you, despite it being the sort of thing commonly taught to children, the movie explains it.

But there's nothing in the film to suggest that Ares encouraged Gavrilo Princip, or that (as one poster tastelessly implied) he caused the Holocaust. There is indeed nothing to suggest he did anything but put plans for military action and chemical formulas into people's heads, and the choice of Erich Ludendorff as a character specifically goes against the idea that he encouraged the continuation of the war directly, and his human guise pushing for peace is another bit of the text that goes against the idea that he encouraged the war directly. Your proposition is that Ludendorff lacked both means and motive before Ares, my proposition is that he had the motive but not the means.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Steve Yun posted:

Friends, let's examine the character of Dr Maru.

Dr Maru is disfigured. She finds meaning in her work, which involves death and destruction. She is the confidante of a German general who loves killling people. They have a few laughs while killing German officers.

So in strolls this handsome stranger at the gala who lavishes her with attention and praise that she's rarely gotten before, but then Wonder Woman strolls in and catches his eye, and Dr Maru resigns herself to the fact that she's ugly before walking away. The camera lingers on her forlorn face deliberately.

At the climax of the film, she is cowering helpless before this goddess of a woman who has everything. She's beautiful, she's powerful, earlier she stole a man away from her and now she holds a tank held above her head and is ready to squash her. Steve saw her face and knew to prey on her need for attention and affirmation.

What is going on with Dr Maru's character? Dr Maru in the comics is not disfigured, so there was a deliberate change and that change is tied to her confidence about herself. Was there a theme of womens' poor self-image that the film was exploring? What is it saying? Is it fully developed in the film or did the film not follow through on this idea?

So what you're saying is Wonder Woman is a half-assed version of Snow White and the Huntsman? :haw:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Get out of here with your condescending reinterpretation of a myth in terms of another myth

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Brainiac Five posted:

I have an agenda, that is true:

Is this a reference to how Wonder Woman used to be someone who received the blessings of all the gods, similar to how Durga is gifted weapons from every god so she can kill Hiranyakashipu?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

There is indeed nothing to suggest he did anything but put plans for military action and chemical formulas into people's heads

Yes, and this encouraged the continuation of the war. The method by which he encouraged the continuation of the war was to provide a means to do so to precisely the right people.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Did the Serpent literally take control of Eve's mind and force her limbs to pluck the apple and forcibly manipulate her jaws into biting into it, or did it merely speak pleasing words and twisted truths in order to tempt her into Sin?

Ares did not cause the war in the way that Diana believed. No one was possessed, no one was mind-controlled. But he was still manipulating events and leading people astray in ways that make him directly complicit in the senseless evil and degradation that pervaded the war. He attempts the same thing on Diana herself. It definitely makes him more comparable to Satan than to the Ares of myth 'cuz, like...who the gently caress has Ares corrupted like this? Like, name one single instance in Greek mythology where Ares flew down down Earth, disguised or otherwise, and whispered pleasing words or twisted truths at people?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, and this encouraged the continuation of the war. The method by which he encouraged the continuation of the war was to provide a means to do so to precisely the right people.

So, in other words, we agree but you're too much of an rear end in a top hat to admit to that. I guess you'll insist that sneering about how I have an infantile grasp of morality was actually a kindly thing to do or something.

BrianWilly posted:

Did the Serpent literally take control of Eve's mind and force her limbs to pluck the apple and forcibly manipulate her jaws into biting into it, or did it merely speak pleasing words and twisted truths in order to tempt her into Sin?

Ares did not cause the war in the way that Diana believed. No one was possessed, no one was mind-controlled. But he was still manipulating events and leading people astray in ways that make him directly complicit in the senseless evil and degradation that pervaded the war. He attempts the same thing on Diana herself. It definitely makes him more comparable to Satan than to the Ares of myth 'cuz, like...who the gently caress has Ares corrupted like this? Like, name one single instance in Greek mythology where Ares flew down down Earth, disguised or otherwise, and whispered pleasing words or twisted truths at people?

The, uh, whole point of the Garden of Eden story is that people are responsible for their actions, since they know good and evil.

The gods giving advice to people is at the core of the Iliad and the Perseus myth, off the top of my head.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

So, in other words, we agree but you're too much of an rear end in a top hat to admit to that. I guess you'll insist that sneering about how I have an infantile grasp of morality was actually a kindly thing to do or something.

Brainiac Five posted:

Quite unassailable, quite stupid.

:jerkbag:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Brainiac Five posted:

They're the ones who decided to act on that information to do evil. That is rather the point- Dr. Poison isn't innocent, otherwise Diana struggling with the urge to kill her just makes her into a cartoon psychopath.

But that's definitely not encouraging them to act on their best impulses. The only evidence you have of that is of his role as a general, and even then he directly undermines it by sending Diana and Steve after Ludendorff and the gas.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Did I say there was anything wrong with being an rear end in a top hat?

DC Murderverse posted:

But that's definitely not encouraging them to act on their best impulses. The only evidence you have of that is of his role as a general, and even then he directly undermines it by sending Diana and Steve after Ludendorff and the gas.

That doesn't undermine it at all, since Ludendorff is against the armistice. Ares's goal is to show to Diana that humanity is irredeemable, and allowing her to take actions that ought to bring peace but will fail is the best way of providing evidence for that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Did I say there was anything wrong with being an rear end in a top hat?

:rolleyes:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This movie gets all the credit in the world for doing the whole no man's land scene where people are saying "it's called no man's land because no man can cross it" without having to be the sort of garbage movie that has wonder woman say "good thing I'm no man" (even if that still was the implication of the scene)

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Guys, arguing over Greek mythology is boring, let's talk about womens' self-image issues

Yeah, the film makes all these bizarre implications about an island of only women making progress. It tries to present it as idyllic, but then you see stuff like "I know modern languages, but we seem to not know what fire arms are." "I know Biology, but what is this "time" you speak of?" I think there's a sense of pastoral fantasy that gets ascribed to the women of Themyscira, but I think it unwittingly raises a lot of questions that aren't favorable to the film. I DID like how some of it was used to show how unaware Diana was of the world, but then what does that say of her upbringing? I really feel like the film's use of Milton-esque temptation and Grecian imagery are used well.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This movie gets all the credit in the world for doing the whole no man's land scene where people are saying "it's called no man's land because no man can cross it" without having to be the sort of garbage movie that has wonder woman say "good thing I'm no man" (even if that still was the implication of the scene)

While I'm not really a fan of this movie, I sure am a fan of that decision.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Well, if you want to insist that you were victimized by my hideously evil posting, that's your decision to make.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

Well, if you want to insist that you were victimized by my hideously evil posting, that's your decision to make.

Brainiac Five posted:

:allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

i mean

it is that kind of movie though, just about everything except that scene

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

it would be hilarious if, 70 years from now, "Well I am no man" were a famous quote on the lines of "play it again, Sam" (another line that was not actually said in the movie it is supposedly from)

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Thinking about it, the scene with her sparing Dr. Poison explains enough why she didn't intervene in World War II which was nicely done.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Brainiac Five posted:

The gods giving advice to people is at the core of the Iliad and the Perseus myth, off the top of my head.
Yes, the gods are famous for taking guises to walk amongst mortals to influence or test them but, again, I'm inquiring specifically about instances of Ares doing this. I know it doesn't happen in the Perseus myth and am unaware of any such instances in the Illiad. Ares is actually a sort of curiosity amongst the gods for how rarely he tries to manipulate people in this way. In fact, most instances of mortals being influenced by Ares would be described as them being overtaken by a blood-rage or warlike impulse that he "compelled" -- ie, through a sort of mind-control instead of subtle verbal manipulation -- which does make him more like what Diana initially believed him to be, and not the trickster serpent archetype that he was ultimately revealed to be in the film.

Steve Yun posted:

Friends, let's examine the character of Dr Maru.

Dr Maru is disfigured. She finds meaning in her work, which involves death and destruction. She is the confidante of a German general who loves killling people. They have a few laughs while killing German officers.

So in strolls this handsome stranger at the gala who lavishes her with attention and praise that she's rarely gotten before, but then Wonder Woman strolls in and catches his eye, and Dr Maru resigns herself to the fact that she's ugly before walking away. The camera lingers on her forlorn face deliberately.

At the climax of the film, she is cowering helpless before this goddess of a woman who has everything. She's beautiful, she's powerful, earlier she stole a man away from her and now she holds a tank held above her head and is ready to squash her. Steve saw her face and knew to prey on her need for attention and affirmation.

What is going on with Dr Maru's character? Dr Maru in the comics is not disfigured, so there was a deliberate change and that change is tied to her confidence about herself. Was there a theme of womens' poor self-image that the film was exploring? What is it saying? Is it fully developed in the film or did the film not follow through on this idea?
I actually recall the end of the Maru/Steve scene a bit differently. It felt like she was actually scoffing at Steve for his weakness in a "heh, men. Always so predictable" sort of way. By which I don't mean that she was unaware or unconcerned with her own disfigurement, but that it had almost become a source of bitter amusement for her. Maru expects people to treat her a certain way, and is vindicated in her expectations every time that every man or woman does so by dismissing her for her appearance.

There is definitely a sense that she felt drawn to Ludendorff because he prized her for her...unique...skillset, and that she felt similarly moved by Steve at first when he tried to relate to her on that level. On that level she's more compelled by people who admire her mind instead of her body. It's hard to say how she would've reacted if Steve or someone else did attempt to seduce her on a purely sexual level, but I don't expect it would have gone as well. When Steve does react to Diana's physical beauty (or so Maru believes), it merely reaffirms her embitterment.

That being said, I'm not sure I would say that Dr. Poison became embittered because she was disfigured, or that she became disfigured as a direct result of her callousness and "unique skillset." She experiments with poisons. I wouldn't go as far as to say her disfigurement was self-inflicted, but it's no stretch to believe that her own work was what caused her current appearance instead of any cruel incident or twist of fate.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

Yes, the gods are famous for taking guises to walk amongst mortals to influence or test them but, again, I'm inquiring specifically about instances of Ares doing this. I know it doesn't happen in the Perseus myth and am unaware of any such instances in the Illiad. Ares is actually a sort of curiosity amongst the gods for how rarely he tries to manipulate people in this way. In fact, most instances of mortals being influenced by Ares would be described as them being overtaken by a blood-rage or warlike impulse that he "compelled" -- ie, through a sort of mind-control instead of subtle verbal manipulation -- which does make him more like what Diana initially believed him to be, and not the trickster serpent archetype that he was ultimately revealed to be in the film.

There are also no instances of Nyx or Hestia or Hephaestus doing this in extant Hellenic myths, so clearly, a work deriving from Greek mythology that used them in this fashion would be inauthentic, much as a work derived from Norse mythology that had Tyr/Tiw doing anything but getting his hand bitten off by a wolf would be inauthentic. For sure.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Therefore people are saying that the character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Your initial admonition -- that people who think Ares acts like this other character instead of himself simply don't know either mythology very well -- is specious and flawed and, honestly, makes it seem like you're the one who doesn't know Ares, Satan, or this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

The character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Therefore people are saying that the character Ares in this film acts more like another character, from another mythos, than he acts like the classical Ares from his own mythos. Your initial admonition -- that people who think Ares acts like this other character instead of himself simply don't know either mythology very well -- is specious and flawed and, honestly, makes it seem like you're the one who doesn't know Ares, Satan, or this film.

But he also acts like a number of other characters, from their own religions and mythologies, and in fact their argument was much broader than that. And their arguments are implicitly imperialist in nature, since if we took them seriously we'd have to conclude many other religions are actually Christianity in disguise.

• Locked thread