Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also the unopened Switch SF is languishing on a big stack of unopened games because I'm a consumerist idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think SF 3 is technically better but Alpha 2 was the last Street Fighter game I played poo poo loads of with my friends from school so.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like 3 most since it still has some of the best sprite work of any game. I'd kill for another game that looks like it over the lame unreal muppet looking characters in 4 and 5.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Phone posted:

CEC/Anynet+.

It's finicky as hell and sucks.

Fellow Samsung owner spotted. :(:respek::(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Larrymer posted:

I'm not averse to grindy games as the Diablo series is one of my favorites. I've not tried strategy RPGs though before. I'll give the demo a shot and see how it goes.

Tried the demo, it's more time in menus than playing. I had to turn down the volume on the terrible background music and cringe pretty hard during the cutscenes and voice acting. I couldn't stand the female main character, holy poo poo. I don't think this is my type of game. Anime is still not for me. Still waiting for something to come out after zelda but I think it may be a while for something to really get my interest.

Mister Facetious posted:

I have a 2011ish Samsung TV and it works perfectly fine for me. I turn on the controller, the TV comes on and even switches to the right input. :shrug: I don't think the tv will shut off when I shut off the switch though.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It's not CEC+, but another superfluous function devised by a different lot of idiot engineers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Tried the demo, it's more time in menus than playing. I had to turn down the volume on the terrible background music and cringe pretty hard during the cutscenes and voice acting. I couldn't stand the female main character, holy poo poo. I don't think this is my type of game. Anime is still not for me. Still waiting for something to come out after zelda but I think it may be a while for something to really get my interest.

I have a 2011ish Samsung TV and it works perfectly fine for me. I turn on the controller, the TV comes on and even switches to the right input. :shrug: I don't think the tv will shut off when I shut off the switch though.

Its 2016 samsungs that have the issue cause they have a new feature that switch doesnt play well with

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I see a tv has CEC I think it's a member of the alt right

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you can't even run the animations In sf2 completely you know you dun goofed. This is literally a thing the switch can't run. Animations of a 30 year old 2d game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dizz posted:

For those who consider getting Disgaea 5, Please note that the demo only shows a tiny fraction of what the game can offer. There's a lot of interesting things you can do in the game and you aren't limited in methods on how to beat the story mode. You can use Main Characters only, use created characters only, or even use a single character only.

Later on in the game it gets really grindy and then you will realise that the game is built in a way where it has mechanics that are expected if you to exploit and abuse to get anywhere fast.

Every unit also has it's own use in some form or another and you're never stuck having to create some random guy and being stuck with it at level 1 when you're in a level 50~ range. You can just toss money at it's creation to be at a certain level.

but yeah tl;dr the game has a gently caress ton of stuff in it for you to play around with and don't feel bad for taking advantage of it, the game can be bullshit at times.

I think this is the third time I've said this here on the SomethingAwful forums, but I never found the main storylines of Disgaea games to be grindy at all. My experience is with Disgaea 1, 2, and 4, and you don't have to do much other than the storyline missions. In Disgaea 1 I took a couple hours to level up some dudes, and the rest of the time was just walking from one story mission to another. Admittedly, it was balls-out hard by the end and I needed to pull out every trick in the book except the forbidden and secret art of diagonal throwing, but I won.

Disgaea D2, on the other hand, which I'm in the middle of and I hear is closest to Disgaea 5, I spend more time in the Item World than the actual story missions, but that's because the Item World is now Actually Fun, having been tweaked in each game until it reached this stage of evolution.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 5, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Healbot posted:

21 years later and SF Alpha 2 is still the gold standard of street fighters for me. Still own it and my Saturn.

That's a weird way to spell Street Fighter 3: the third strike.

Empress Brosephine posted:

When you can't even run the animations In sf2 completely you know you dun goofed. This is literally a thing the switch can't run. Animations of a 30 year old 2d game.

It's not that the Switch can't run it, it's Capcom programmers being bad at their job. What year did Capcom turn into a bad company? The year SF x Tekken came out?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

It sounds perfect for the Switch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Larrymer posted:

My Pioneer receiver has never worked right with my tv where my PS4 is concerned.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

That's a weird way to spell Tatsunoko v Capcom.

the only Capcom fighting games I've ever played are SF2 the new challengers on SNES and SF4 at a 3ds kiosk)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i got around to printing a switch stand and two grips for my joycons, when arms comes out i will be punching with the best.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mister Facetious posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

Its 2016 samsungs that have the issue cause they have a new feature that switch doesnt play well with

Healbot posted:

It's not CEC+, but another superfluous function devised by a different lot of idiot engineers.

Larrymer posted:

The issue is that if you have a receiver, all bets are off. I watched my TV turn itself on in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

However, the main killer is that it also likes to get into duels with the receiver and forces the receiver into not defaulting to whatever was last selected. So no matter how you turn on your devices to go sit in front of the TV, the TV will force a source switch on the receiver to the TV audio pass through even though you're on the ARC HDMI port. I don't watch OTA TV that often, so it was worth it to turn off that garbage because I didn't want to spend a minute with the remotes trying to get it to go to my Wii U or PC In because the Samsung set is going MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMMEMEMEMEMEME PICK ME HELLO YOU WANT TO PICK ME HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI HI ME ME ME ME ME.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Can you remap buttons on the 8bitdo controllers for Switch?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spacebump posted:

Anyone stating that Third Strike isn't the greatest SF game, or best fighting game ever is out of their minds.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Please don't confuse Capcom's gross incompetence with modern fighting game releases with what can be done on the Switch. Capcom literally put out an update to PC SF5 with a rootkit in it, among many many other problems the game has/had. They really are that bad at making fighting games.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Anyone stating that Third Strike isn't the greatest SF game, or best fighting game ever is out of their minds.

Actually the switch already has the best fighting game ever. Garou was out in the first month.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dieting Hippo posted:

i got around to printing a switch stand and two grips for my joycons, when arms comes out i will be punching with the best.

I legit want that stand, are you taking orders lol

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

Way better than the grip solution I was imagining.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dieting Hippo posted:

I don't even have a Switch yet and now I want a 3d printer. drat.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's really not either of those things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

s.i.r.e. posted:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Actually the switch already has the best fighting game ever. Garou was out in the first month.

Funny enough, both games are considered bad for top level play but adored by the average player. 3s' high level balance problems and the way the parry system works, garou's kevin problem and a few other things are popular targets. I like both games cause their attitude is very cool imo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dieting Hippo posted:

How do you press the l or r buttons?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You only need side L and Side R.

Edit: or maybe Top L and R is a better descriptor.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 5, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

With your thumbs. You don't use the internal L and R buttons while playing Arms if you're using motion controls.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Turtlicious posted:

I legit want that stand, are you taking orders lol

i'm interested in doing that, but it looks like shipping alone is $10 for something this light. i'll probably try to find a cheap shipping option before doing that.

edit: USPS is hella cheap compared to UPS and FedEx, i might actually do this!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

for arms you'll hold them in a thumbs-up grip with that printed-grip part facing forward, so you thumbs will rest on L/R and be able to hit ZL/ZR with no problems. you still won't be able to press SL/SR or the sync button while the grips are on, but they're not needed if you're only using them for arms.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 5, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah you need to be opening up an Etsy shop for that jawn.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Not seeing Bushido Blade in this post... your opinion is invalidated.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Highly dubious.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

:yeah:

I don't really watch many fighting games being played by other people but I always will for 3rd Strike. It's just a cool as gently caress looking game.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

watch them port poochy & yoshi's woolly world to the switch

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

:yeah:

I don't really watch many fighting games being played by other people but I always will for 3rd Strike. It's just a cool as gently caress looking game.

Yeah it looks awesome and the music rules. I hate the weird ring tone that plays when you get meter tho but that might be because i had a phone that sounded like it once

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I called Nintendo to set up a repair for my Switch since it was crashing MK8 and Zelda with "The software was closed because an error occurred", but once I got the repair order put in it's acting perfectly fine now. I played Zelda and MK for like six hours and not a hiccup.

Second guessing sending it to Nintendo now. I may wait until it starts happening again I guess? I don't want to send it out and have them send it back because they didn't find anything wrong :confused:

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Highly gently caress yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Phone posted:

The issue is that if you have a receiver, all bets are off. I watched my TV turn itself on in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

Don't I know it. My receiver will occasionally adjust volume (as in, the on-screen numbers) by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Infinitum posted:

From Vooks

Start of the line -> End of the line

Raffle ticket results. Bottom are Neon Switches

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Nintendo Switch: DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEDDDDDD

did you miss the part where it mentioned that people can just walk into stores in aus and buy them no problem? as is also the case across most of europe which is the biggest market worldwide.

then again i guess i shouldnt be so surprised about exceptionalism from a country that just elected trump.

• Locked thread