Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

shrimp n grits America's contribution to world cuisine

pls tell me your favorite world cuisine that is not the result of america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man that show started so good and ended so bad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

I once ate a pretzel so vile it haunts me 3 years later.

i ate a bacon and cheese fries that also had fish paste in it

i can't eat them anymore even though i know i'm safe here, i just taste it in my mind

corn in the bible posted:

never let der weißwurst hear the noontime bell

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

marshmallows all suspended in a big hunk of jello we getting fancy as gently caress up in here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

All good cuisine is syncretic, and immigrants to America continually redefining their cooking is part of the American tradition

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

epic bacon ftw -literally america, the food

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

falafel's pretty good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm the curry without tomatoes, potatoes, peppers,

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

curry is british though

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lamb Vindaloo is cultural appropriation against Portuguese people and tikka masala against the english. When will these indian food racists be taken to heel?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

america is ashamed of trump eating well done steaks with ketchup when actually that's the most american thing about him

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Everything good in human history came from sharing and synthesis but now thats not cool or you'll get hate on twitter

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

no lie the best curry i ever had was the result of an altercation over whether they were serving a curry or a western-style soup and it ended up being a tomato basil beef curry

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not going to front like Quebec has a ton of food to offer the world because the province was impoverished farmers and trappers freezing to death for the better part of its existence, which does not lend itself to great food, but at least we have Cretons and Poutine.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

america is ashamed of trump eating well done steaks with ketchup when actually that's the most american thing about him
i don't like steak

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

so as far as cuisine that is free of APPRIORIATING AMERICAN CUISINE we have... Falafel. That's what we have.

I mean falafel is good but...........

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mocking perfectly normal food combinations that would taste good to anyone like the humble tuna casserole while holding up some other culture's working class food as artisanal masterpieces is why it costs $18 for a taco in Brooklyn and is hella elitist + ignorant.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Real hurthling! posted:

Everything good in human history came from sharing and synthesis but now thats not cool or you'll get hate on twitter

It used to be called cultural diffusion but now it's appropriation

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quest For Glory II posted:

i don't like steak

next youre gonna tell me you like poutine and david lynch

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Foodies are the worst kind of people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao I wasn't defending the stolen honor of non american countries like some tumblr princess you dingaling

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Could it be that American Cuisine is actually the mingling of many cultures in one nation resulting in interesting dishes of many varieties? No it's definitely that they just Stole Food

These Americans are ruining the traditional Italian pasta and tomato sauce with their food naziism

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

Foodies are the worst kind of people.

no lie i was once accused of being a foodie because i don't like using just-add-water dishes and try to make everything from basic ingredients

im the opposite of a foodie, i don't care what i'm eating so long as i know what i'm eating. well, main meals at least. i still like processed desserts :v:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The traditional Italian pasta that came from China

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Mocking perfectly normal food combinations that would taste good to anyone like the humble tuna casserole while holding up some other culture's working class food as artisanal masterpieces is why it costs $18 for a taco in Brooklyn and is hella elitist + ignorant.

Pick a better example than tuna casserole though. Like po boys or something that isnt a smelly puddle

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

make america great again: put cheeze whiz and factory processed meat on everything

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

The traditional Italian pasta that came from China

Impossible, as only America commits food theft.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

no lie i was once accused of being a foodie because i don't like using just-add-water dishes and try to make everything from basic ingredients

im the opposite of a foodie, i don't care what i'm eating so long as i know what i'm eating. well, main meals at least. i still like processed desserts :v:

Like I'm not going to make anyone feel bad if they eat well or don't like mcdonald's or whatever but people who try to make someone feel bad for eating minute rice or w/e are just pieces of crap to me. Like ffs do you not get that maybe that person literally cannot afford the good stuff.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

make america great again: put cheeze whiz and factory processed meat on everything

This but unironically. :mrgw:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

General Tso would be ashamed of you all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think I preferred anime chat

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm ashamed of motherfucking Golden Corral

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Could it be that American Cuisine is actually the mingling of many cultures in one nation resulting in interesting dishes of many varieties? No it's definitely that they just Stole Food

oh i mean i know where you're coming from, i like california roll poke too, i'm just salty that people will go to luxury poke restaurants in the continental us regularly but never come close to wanting to try the original thing because it's just different ingredients. it's all prepared the same way, it's not like you're gonna have a fish head lookin up at you if it's prepared traditionally

Lurdiak posted:

Like I'm not going to make anyone feel bad if they eat well or don't like mcdonald's or whatever but people who try to make someone feel bad for eating minute rice or w/e are just pieces of crap to me. Like ffs do you not get that maybe that person literally cannot afford the good stuff.

poo poo man i didn't mean it like that, the context of this was that the other guy was just lazy. he could afford the ingredients but wasn't willing to invest the time (which he also had), and for some reason was trying to say i was too classy for cooking my own food? i understand if you don't have the resources to cook from scratch, but if you can and just don't want to, that's fine but don't rain on my parade 'cause i cook

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 5, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Everything is awful and it's our own fault.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont remember that episode of House MD

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Jay Rust posted:

I think I preferred anime chat

Anime food chat?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Columbian Exchange was really amazing. The introduction of the potato alone to Western Europe was responsible for a population boom that lasted several centuries.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Anime food chat?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal is a magical game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004